[Discussion] Home Screen

GIMN

5 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

ah, that's my error. bookmarks are indeed saved inside the save and remain when you exit the game.
but in my opinion they are not suitable for use on the sidebar. because if you don't have an ultrawide screen, you can only play with the sidebar in "icons only" mode
but on the home page, I can allocate a place for a container with bookmarks. I'm now thinking where and how so as not to harm other containers.

That is indeed true, it's not usable in Icons only mode as (from my limited testing) can't change much about the bookmarks, can't use icons if menu is in icons only mode
unless @_ben_ found a new way of precenting the bookmarks(see screenshot). as said, i would defo be interested in looking at his file if he still have it, to see if there was something to be learned and improve upon bookmarks   

4 minutes ago, snowofman said:

That is indeed true, it's not usable in Icons only mode as (from my limited testing) can't change much about the bookmarks, can't use icons if menu is in icons only mode
unless @_ben_ found a new way of precenting the bookmarks(see screenshot). as said, i would defo be interested in looking at his file if he still have it, to see if there was something to be learned and improve upon bookmarks   

I think I worded it wrong - they are linked icons rather than bookmarks. Look on page 9 of GIMN’s thread as that’s where we spoke about it and he shared the code that I amended. 

21 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I think I worded it wrong - they are linked icons rather than bookmarks. Look on page 9 of GIMN’s thread as that’s where we spoke about it and he shared the code that I amended. 

ahh okay, well i'll be taking a look at the files later.. Thanks

Hugely building on what is in the amazing Mustmermann skin...what if the Home Screen was just buttons?

52f6f496b9ad2cdca8f01502b3a12d04.png

My plan would be to not have these as selectors, just direct linked buttons and then I'd need to decide what to put in the wider areas and then use the orange area (for demonstration purposes, obviously) for an overview of the in-game manager, but nothing with attributes or like the profile page. But it scratches that itch for me of a true landing page - although the game never lands on it!

Edited by _Ben_

I am currently testing bookmarks as a widget in the selector panel. had to add a fourth vertical container443696043_2022-12-3018_56_11-Window.thumb.png.d702cfe84413d7428b98446d06ba8317.png

Just now, _Ben_ said:

Hugely building on what is in the amazing Mustmermann skin...what if the Home Screen was just buttons?

52f6f496b9ad2cdca8f01502b3a12d04.png

My plan would be to not have these as selectors, just direct linked buttons and then I'd need to decide what to put in the wider areas and then use the orange area (for demonstration purposes, obviously) for an overview of the in-game manager, but nothing with attributes or like the profile page. But it scratches that itch for me of a true landing page - although the game never lands on it!

gimn started the fashion for the unusual and original

46 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

I think his idea was amazing. Here is my adaptation of it...

917fbba74a87e94816648114bdd31377.png

Obviously, I cannot release this as everything from about 200 pixels in is not my work but you get the idea of what I think could be a good landing page.

EDIT: However, every time I return to the home page, the portrait and manager info has gone...

Edited by _Ben_

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Obviously, I cannot release this as everything from about 200 pixels in is not my work but you get the idea of what I think could be a good landing page.

EDIT: However, every time I return to the home page, the portrait and manager info has gone...

This looks amazing!

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

i've just been looking at it and the idea is good enough for sure, but yes the lag is killing it. i even tried moving the list ooutside, but still nothing..
so imo the default bookmarks menu placed under the left menu would still be my go to, but there are just alot of stuff i would love i could change. 

5 hours ago, Olas Nick said:

I am currently testing bookmarks as a widget in the selector panel. had to add a fourth vertical container443696043_2022-12-3018_56_11-Window.thumb.png.d702cfe84413d7428b98446d06ba8317.png

Sorry for not acknowledging this earlier but what you’ve got there could be groundbreaking! I’d love to see if you get it working and would ask if I could have the code too, please. 

5 hours ago, Olas Nick said:

That looks good; it sits nicely in a container and doesn't look as awkward as the SAS approach (which is still good, but as they acknowledge, its still a WIP).  "Unusual and original" might have to be what I put on my tinder profile :lol:

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I love that as a landing page!  (and of course you can release that if you want; I had an idea and you've elevated it.  Have you had any luck getting the manager portrait to stick?

9 hours ago, GIMN said:

I love that as a landing page!  (and of course you can release that if you want; I had an idea and you've elevated it.  Have you had any luck getting the manager portrait to stick?

Currently got a mix of your buttons and my world overview:

692c4d6324019efb99ad4eb207d6d41c.png

Need to get the things to pull through into that info but feel like there is little point when it's not sticking!

15 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Sorry for not acknowledging this earlier but what you’ve got there could be groundbreaking! I’d love to see if you get it working and would ask if I could have the code too, please. 

@snowofman

I just looked at the original version, looked at how it was implemented by SAS and simply deleted everything that was unnecessary
the code is elementary

<panel>
	<attachment_group class="vertical_arrange" vertical_alignment="top,extend" />

<container class="scrolling_box">
		<container class="tree_menu" id="bkmk">
			<layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="vertical,fill"/>
		</container>
	</container>

</panel>

and new simple widget in human selector panel

<widget class="bookmarks_menu_panel" id="book" file="human/bookmarks_selector_panel">
		<translation id="title" translation_id="251391" type="use" value="Bookmarks[COMMENT: top menu title for bookmarks menu]" />
	</widget>

Edited by Olas Nick

3 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

@snowofman

I just looked at the original version, looked at how it was implemented by SAS and simply deleted everything that was unnecessary
the code is elementary

<panel>
	<attachment_group class="vertical_arrange" vertical_alignment="top,extend" />

<container class="scrolling_box">
		<container class="tree_menu" id="bkmk">
			<layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="vertical,fill"/>
		</container>
	</container>

</panel>

and new simple widget in human selector panel

<widget class="bookmarks_menu_panel" id="book" file="human/bookmarks_selector_panel">
		<translation id="title" translation_id="251391" type="use" value="Bookmarks[COMMENT: top menu title for bookmarks menu]" />
	</widget>

ahh okay, looks similar to the one i made awhile back.

i think whats puzzled me, was that it looked like you had changed the colour of the selected and when i tried back then, i wasnt able to.

Thanks for the share and Happy new year

1 hour ago, Olas Nick said:

yes, I had to change the transparency of the item_over.png

ahh okay, yes thats where my brain do a full stop..

I havnt been dabbeling much in the graphics part, which then makes sense that i didnt even consider or knew how to be aware of a graphics part

But there is no better time then the present

Edit: @Olas Nick- would you be able to tell me where the correct file is as nothing i seems to change, works :( Thanks

Edited by snowofman

Appreciate all the positive discussion that's gone on here. This is where I'm at with my landing page:

6ea6c96422eec21f7bfd6df58136518d.png

Just wish I could actually make the game land on it!

The thoughts now are a) how to make the human stuff stick and b) whether I need to actually have the linked boxes at the top when I could just quite easily have more than one panel, having basically all the screens bookmarked off this landing page - e..g Team: with tactics, opposition instructions etc but then I'd need to work out how to get some bookmarks to appear in some places but not others!

19 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Appreciate all the positive discussion that's gone on here. This is where I'm at with my landing page:

The thoughts now are a) how to make the human stuff stick and b) whether I need to actually have the linked boxes at the top when I could just quite easily have more than one panel, having basically all the screens bookmarked off this landing page - e..g Team: with tactics, opposition instructions etc but then I'd need to work out how to get some bookmarks to appear in some places but not others!

1. boxes on top with dynamic info or this simple link?

2. maybee  add 3-4 links to main stuff in this pages?
image.png.7cd2c060cc748cf52207aee589b45798.png

On 31/12/2022 at 17:19, _Ben_ said:

Does the human stuff disappear completely, or can it be made to reappear by hovering over a drop down menu (like the weird stuff with the player profile and information slowly disappearing)?

I suppose you could also have the tab bar above the bookmarks, and then each tab is laid out the same (e.g. a top strip with bookmarks each slightly different depending on the tab, a left column with manager information, and the main area with the tab specific content) - although that seems like a lot of work.

I also think I've come to a realisation as to why I'm so fond of the button approach - I'm clearly yearning for a return to my nostalgia-tinted childhood memories of the early Champs games:

image.jpeg.271806a54cb4c19f80025cacc519a632.jpeg

19 hours ago, GIMN said:

Does the human stuff disappear completely, or can it be made to reappear by hovering over a drop down menu (like the weird stuff with the player profile and information slowly disappearing)?

I get this but, as soon as the game processes again, it works. Any ideas?

19 hours ago, GIMN said:

I suppose you could also have the tab bar above the bookmarks, and then each tab is laid out the same (e.g. a top strip with bookmarks each slightly different depending on the tab, a left column with manager information, and the main area with the tab specific content) - although that seems like a lot of work.

I have found that I can only add one type of bookmark so, whatever I add, they all appear in the one selector panel. As a side note - how do you even see the bookmarks? I can't find anywhere that I can actually view them and it seems that the bookmarks saved there take me to the Tactics for my old club, for example. I want to be able to edit and delete them...

19 hours ago, GIMN said:

I also think I've come to a realisation as to why I'm so fond of the button approach - I'm clearly yearning for a return to my nostalgia-tinted childhood memories of the early Champs games:

image.jpeg.271806a54cb4c19f80025cacc519a632.jpeg

I think this is it for me, too. Reminds me of CM01/02!

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

I get this but, as soon as the game processes again, it works. Any ideas?

It sounds like a similar issue to trying to get the schedule/calendar in the inbox panel.  It seems weird that it can pull the information through, but doesn't keep it there.  Have you tried adding <boolean id="should_force_refresh" value="true" /> at the top of the xml (immediately after the <panel> tag)?

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

I have found that I can only add one type of bookmark so, whatever I add, they all appear in the one selector panel. As a side note - how do you even see the bookmarks? I can't find anywhere that I can actually view them and it seems that the bookmarks saved there take me to the Tactics for my old club, for example. I want to be able to edit and delete them...

Do you mean the bookmarks as mentioned by Olas Nick and snowofman?  They're under the World menu - there's an option to Manage Bookmarks from there.  I must confess I didn't even know that menu existed until it was mentioned in relation to the SAS skin!