Goalkeeper won't take freekicks?

I wanted to do a save where I created a goalkeeper in the editor with 20 for eccentricity, finishing, long shots, kicking, penalties and freekicks and have him on penalty and freekick duty. Not had a penalty yet, but he doesn't seem to take freekicks for me, even though I have set him to take direct freekicks.

I wanted to send him up for corners and throw ins too, see how many goals I can get for him during his career.

Is this a bug that he's not taking freekicks? Rene Higuita and Jose Chilavert used to take them so it's not like GKs have never done it in real life!

I've often done this, and I did earlier in FM23... Haven't had a good enough goalkeeper yet after the update, so can't say for sure now. If you can't I'd be rather annoyed. Please report this as bug if you can't find a way.

Perhaps I did something wrong. Or perhaps the game never deemed it a shootable chance? Thing is, I only watch the games on highlights, but another player scored direct from a freekick, so you'd think it was a direct chance! I'll try soon anyway.