Biggest FM regret?

I've got a perfect example I changed the 4-2-3-1 formation to 4-4-2 in the quarter-final against Bayern Leverkusen in the Europa Conference with Newcastle in an online league I'm in as I was 2-1 up in the first leg but lost it 4-3 on aggregate :mad::mad::mad:

Honestly, my biggest FM regret is letting myself become burnt out with FM22 about 7 or 8 months ago or so.  I was spending far too much time playing the game and wasn't really enjoying it anymore.

My advice is to slow down and enjoy the ride.  Don't think that you have to conquer everything right away to have a good time.  Let the game develop the story for you.

My biggest regret was when I learned about PA and CA.

As younger, I thought potential is dynamic, and if a young bad player plays well, and you give him playing time, his attributes will grow.

Knowing that Potential is fixed, now I know that no matter how good a player is at 17y old, there is no reason to give him playing time because you know there are no wonderkids in for example third Italian league when you start the game and that his attributes will not grow because he has small PA.

All in all, the more I learned about how the game works, it was ruining my game more and more.

The less you know, the less you care and complain, you just play. 

I have a friend who never ever said anything bad about any FM / CM in the last 25 years, since he does not care about anything, about ME flaws, about PA/CA, about ugly graphics, he just plays every edition for thousands of hours. And then there is me, disappointed, stopped buying the game, while he still enjoys it like when we were kids.

Just now, Marko1989 said:

As younger, I thought potential is dynamic, and if a young bad player plays well, and you give him playing time, his attributes will grow.

Knowing that Potential is fixed, now I know that no matter how good a player is at 17y old, there is no reason to give him playing time because you know there are no wonderkids in for example third Italian league when you start the game and that his attributes will not grow because he has small PA.

I'm maybe not understanding you, are you saying that you should be able to play any 17 year old and even if they have low potential, playing them would make it increase?  Are you confusing current ability with potential ability?

6 hours ago, priority76 said:

I'm maybe not understanding you, are you saying that you should be able to play any 17 year old and even if they have low potential, playing them would make it increase?  Are you confusing current ability with potential ability?

I am not confusing anything, but to respect what XaW said, I will not answer everything here, if you are interested what I meant, you can check what exactly I think in these two posts :)

This is the one I started: 

And you can see some of my comments here with an example of a 16y old player: 

12 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

The thousands of pounds I’ve spent on systems over the years just to play FM. 

Actually scratch that.  I regret nothing!  :D  

Lol - and here I am trying to figure out how to justify buying an AMD Ryzen 9 just to play this game.  :lol:

Well being a researcher I can definitely attest to learning more about the game does impart some regrets. Although I have to mention learning about CA & PA is not at all an issue - I'd go as far to say as focusing on the CA & PA as though they're all that important probably means there's some substantial gaps in understanding.

Focusing on player CA's & PA's and taking the time to uncover them in some way, or spoil that for yourself (whether it be through the pre-game editor, in-game editor, third party sites listing players, or the good player section) then delving into those is something you should always think twice about. Once you know what's under the hood for a player you can't meaningfully remove that. That wonderkid you find and felt obscure might be really well known amongst the community, but if you came across them by virtue of events in your game, it looks a little ropey but the scouting network you assembled recommend them then its still a perfectly valid played experience. If the second that guys scout report came in you knew he was X CA and Y PA it removes an element. It isn't wrong, it just removes a playing experience.

For me the regret is that I know how to make a 115CA player who can be a bit part Premier League squad filler. I know how to make a 140 CA championship flop (sometimes players come out a little unexpected and that just further the learning experience). It means when it does come to assessing players in game I can process them ridiculously fast and I can identify players who will over-perform in a niche role that will in turn bring in great profits. 

4 hours ago, santy001 said:

If the second that guys scout report came in you knew he was X CA and Y PA it removes an element. It isn't wrong, it just removes a playing experience.

Quoting this for truth.  The game really is a lot more fun when you stay away from the wonderkid lists and all that jazz.  This is one reason why people find it more enjoyable when the newgens start coming around.

My longest-running save ever, in FM08. 

It lasted 38 seasons and I packed it up for FM09 just after we'd won back-to-back league titles for the first time and made the semi-finals of the Champions League for the first time ever. Thinking back, it would have been awesome to stick with it a couple more seasons and see if I could have pushed on to actually win the Champions League. 

Particularly since I remember FM09 being a bit of a wet fart (in fairness, probably because I'd just come off of that save). 

1 hour ago, turnip said:

Particularly since I remember FM09 being a bit of a wet fart (in fairness, probably because I'd just come off of that save). 

This is how i'm feeling about FM23.  No issue with the game itself but if you are the kind of person that plays decades into a save it can be really hard to "start again" from scratch