The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

7 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Whoever else said they hate unambitious personalities, I’m in agreement. 

I’ve got a couple of youngsters who’ve been with the club for a few years now but I can’t mentor them and they just won’t improve. Not giving up on them yet but suspect at 19/20 they may well be a lost cause. 

Absolutely horrible aren't they! Get far too many

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

@Padders how can you not be tempted by a new save by now?

Is it just impossible for you to give up after all this time?

I can't stop now. Especially with the news of FM25 and I have another 4/5 months to complete it.

My FM22 (I think it was that year) was over 200 years to complete, I was by this stage though more consistent in the PL.

For some reason, I can never get more than 2/3 top class players at one time. therefore when I get to the PL I get hammered.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Absolutely horrible aren't they! Get far too many

never understood why there is so many. I can understand that some will appear but i am sure that the vast majority of pro footballers are probably more likely to be ambitious, they have to be to get that far. Professionalism is a different matter as many pro footballers have been shown to have very different levels.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

I can't stop now. Especially with the news of FM25 and I have another 4/5 months to complete it.

My FM22 (I think it was that year) was over 200 years to complete, I was by this stage though more consistent in the PL.

For some reason, I can never get more than 2/3 top class players at one time. therefore when I get to the PL I get hammered.

change tactics maybe?

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Kudos to you.

I wonder if hungerford naturally don’t get as many good players through the recruitment process due to the geographical location, maybe even with max youth recruitment it still has a negative effect. Club reputation would be another variable to through into the mix though it’s a catch 22 as you need to get into the premier league and stay there for it to improve but to do that you need better players coming through.

Have you stuck with an English HoYD throughout the save or have you tried a different nationality. Wondering if you could perhaps get players from other nations as opposed to England as there might be less competition.

Also how many leagues do you have loaded? Again wondering if not having other nations may affect intakes (I doubt it but it’s long shot territory now)

Edited by Neo_Geo

bekescsaba-1912-elore-logo.png.8fa44ae77ca4b6f43274fd6cbabc2829.png

Hungary - 2036/37 & 2037/38

Not much changing here so I'll keep this update brief! Ferencvaros still dominating in Hungary with us 2nd best but getting closer.

36/37 - 2nd in the league to Ferencvaros who got a massive 88 points, 25 clear of us. They only lost one league game all season and it wasn't to us! Although we did manage a fortunate victory against them in the Cup Final to claim our first domestic cup win. Qualified for the Champions League league phase. Did quite well with 3 wins which was just short of qualifying for the knockouts. 

37/38 - bridesmaids again in the league although much closer this season. Ferencvaros again with 88 points to win it but we managed 83 this time. Domestic cup winners again. Knocked out in the first round of Champions League qualifiers so we ended up in the Europa League league phase. Managed to get through to the knockouts but were sent packing easily by Nice. 

Club reputation was stuck on 3 star so no further Youth Facilities upgrades. I don't feel that things are stagnating though, we're definitely progressing. We don't lose players to the big teams anymore so I have a good bunch of players and the squad depth is now stronger. I think we'll topple Ferencvaros and be the dominant team in Hungary within 5 seasons. Bold statement!

The new season has ticked over and we have now become 3.5 star reputation so I hope they'll let me upgrade youth facilities this season. 

Just now, JD78 said:

bekescsaba-1912-elore-logo.png.8fa44ae77ca4b6f43274fd6cbabc2829.png

Hungary - 2036/37 & 2037/38

Not much changing here so I'll keep this update brief! Ferencvaros still dominating in Hungary with us 2nd best but getting closer.

36/37 - 2nd in the league to Ferencvaros who got a massive 88 points, 25 clear of us. They only lost one league game all season and it wasn't to us! Although we did manage a fortunate victory against them in the Cup Final to claim our first domestic cup win. Qualified for the Champions League league phase. Did quite well with 3 wins which was just short of qualifying for the knockouts. 

37/38 - bridesmaids again in the league although much closer this season. Ferencvaros again with 88 points to win it but we managed 83 this time. Domestic cup winners again. Knocked out in the first round of Champions League qualifiers so we ended up in the Europa League league phase. Managed to get through to the knockouts but were sent packing easily by Nice. 

Club reputation was stuck on 3 star so no further Youth Facilities upgrades. I don't feel that things are stagnating though, we're definitely progressing. We don't lose players to the big teams anymore so I have a good bunch of players and the squad depth is now stronger. I think we'll topple Ferencvaros and be the dominant team in Hungary within 5 seasons. Bold statement!

The new season has ticked over and we have now become 3.5 star reputation so I hope they'll let me upgrade youth facilities this season. 

Chipping away at the gap with the dominant side is always a good sign.

How are you getting on with them in head to heads?

1 minute ago, Neo_Geo said:

Chipping away at the gap with the dominant side is always a good sign.

How are you getting on with them in head to heads?

1 win from the last 6 league games! :D

We're getting there, I promise!

1 minute ago, JD78 said:

1 win from the last 6 league games! :D

We're getting there, I promise!

What formation do you and Ferencvaros play? Just wondering if you can exploit heir weaknesses in the head to head to give you the edge in the league. Playing the. 3 times and winning 3 instead of losing would be a 9 point swing and that’s massive

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Neo_Geo:

Kudos to you.

I wonder if hungerford naturally don’t get as many good players through the recruitment process due to the geographical location, maybe even with max youth recruitment it still has a negative effect. Club reputation would be another variable to through into the mix though it’s a catch 22 as you need to get into the premier league and stay there for it to improve but to do that you need better players coming through.

Have you stuck with an English HoYD throughout the save or have you tried a different nationality. Wondering if you could perhaps get players from other nations as opposed to England as there might be less competition.

Also how many leagues do you have loaded? Again wondering if not having other nations may affect intakes (I doubt it but it’s long shot territory now)

Counts for me as well, have everything maxed out but only get some fools into Billericay Academy. I have had some decent HoYDs. At the moment I have a stupid one, because the last one has been pulled away as always. He won‘t even study for badges … like some coaches and staff I’ve had. Do you know about that?

12 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Counts for me as well, have everything maxed out but only get some fools into Billericay Academy. I have had some decent HoYDs. At the moment I have a stupid one, because the last one has been pulled away as always. He won‘t even study for badges … like some coaches and staff I’ve had. Do you know about that?

I always assumed they had low ambition when they weren’t interested in coaching courses.

The easiest way to avoid it I find is to apply the same personality rules for coaches as well as HoYD or if there really isn’t much between them go for the higher coaching badge holder…..the downside is they have less room to grow by doing the courses but then again they may not take the course.

Holding onto good staff is something I’ve always struggled with, so it’s probably best to have a shortlist of potential replacements at all times. I do want to try HoYD of a different nationality to see the actual effect it has, for me in wales it’s probably more important due to the lower youth rating but I do wonder about geography within a nation.

2 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

What formation do you and Ferencvaros play? Just wondering if you can exploit heir weaknesses in the head to head to give you the edge in the league. Playing the. 3 times and winning 3 instead of losing would be a 9 point swing and that’s massive

That's worth looking at, cheers. Spoiler alert but the next update will be a different story I think. Not sure if we've improved dramatically or they've lost players but we're miles in front halfway through the season. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Neo_Geo:

The easiest way to avoid it I find is to apply the same personality rules for coaches as well as HoYD or if there really isn’t much between them go for the higher coaching badge holder…..the downside is they have less room to grow by doing the courses but then again they may not take the course.

Well it seems not to matter, I‘ve had Model Professionals decline badges as well as driven or actually perfectionist.

I usually build them up until they go to bigger clubs. It’s some solace that you did experience the same matter. 
I will try a different nation HoYD as well. 
if you don’t get those strong personalities, which are the lesser ones you still take for a HoYD?

2 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Well it seems not to matter, I‘ve had Model Professionals decline badges as well as driven or actually perfectionist.

I usually build them up until they go to bigger clubs. It’s some solace that you did experience the same matter. 
I will try a different nation HoYD as well. 
if you don’t get those strong personalities, which are the lesser ones you still take for a HoYD?

It always depends where I am in the save, for me in wales just now it’s more about making sure I don’t get one that is bad…..it’s been balanced for the 2 that I’ve had so far.

For an English save in the higher leagues model citizen and model pro are obviously the ones to look out for but my fall backs are resolute, driven, professional and determined (in that order).

32 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Perhaps the staff member is maxed out on their PA so taking courses to improve themselves is a waste of time. The game will not tell you this and personality doesn't impact on CA and PA much so the staff member could be a great personality and still low PA

3 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

Kudos to you.

I do try to get a foreign HOYD in to try exploit the other nationalities

He is going to retire soon so will need a new one

image.png.b0dd4585e5288e6426f5de38aa5c7fe9.png

I only have the English Leagues loaded which won't help for that I guess

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

Funny you should say that

I moved my DM into a AMC position

Lost 5-2 and 6-1

Gone back to putting a DM in and won our first game of the season

Do you try to find a one size fits all tactic or tweak each game? Also do you think your attack is stronger than defence? That might help answer whether to thwart your opponents formation or exploit their weaknesses

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

I do try to get a foreign HOYD in to try exploit the other nationalities

He is going to retire soon so will need a new one

image.png.b0dd4585e5288e6426f5de38aa5c7fe9.png

I only have the English Leagues loaded which won't help for that I guess

save file will be big enough as it is. When I added Brazil to my FC Fleury 91 save a lot of staff appeared so it might be an idea, if you are stuck in a rut perhaps something like that might help or it might just cost you another 3/4 years of your save to go back to an English HoYD

image.png.9d114b1b68231a0ea8aaabbee0a2e879.png

Fickle -> Realist so I guess the game rates Fickle as a better personality than Realist. In my current squad its a shame but in relative terms as far as the challenge is concerned its not going to be that important as he's not going to reach a particularly high level.

image.thumb.png.cbc8e57692ff50b290414fe639718bde.png

Season 4 is done and it was by far the worst season. Over the last two years I lost some of my youngsters to get at least some cash. After our promotion in year one the struggle finaly ends with a rlegation - rock bottom in VNL. Defence was hell and for the first time we struggled scorring. The last years we finished 16th and 18th but this year there was no hope. I switched tactics multiple times but nothing worked. In the end I was back with my 4-4-2. We had like no form the whole season with two times two wins in a row. The longest unbeaten run was three matches. It was so frustrating but it helped reading about your saves and your struggles. Right now @Padders run is like a far dream to me.

Lets get back to VNS...

20241023224615_1.thumb.jpg.baac36bff3265a4b60ad0ad14e3bff12.jpg

3 hours ago, Thebaker said:

@mschafer13 how does the league work such that each team plays 41 games?

It's a mess :lol:

The best I found on reddit when I was trying to understand it:

"The first part of the league is the copa de la liga (league cup) where the teams are split into 2 groups and they play everyone in their group of 14 clubs and their classic rival from the other group, at the end the first 4 teams in each club enter the actual cup, at the end of the cup starts the actual league where everyone plays everyone,.

The points from the copa de la liga do not transfer to the league but they count in the annual points table that at the end of the season tells you what teams get relegated and what teams go to the cups, do not ask me why this is like this because i do not know, you just have to tolerate it"

It seems the champion is crowned from the second part, and that's only 27 matches. I've won the Copa de La Liga, but never the "regular" league. The Copa was apparently only started in 2018....who knows why, It has 14 matches. I don't understand any of it, but it is a good challenge!

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, mschafer13 said:

"The first part of the league is the copa de la liga (league cup) where the teams are split into 2 groups and they play everyone in their group of 14 clubs and their classic rival from the other group, at the end the first 4 teams in each club enter the actual cup, at the end of the cup starts the actual league where everyone plays everyone,.

The points from the copa de la liga do not transfer to the league but they count in the annual points table that at the end of the season tells you what teams get relegated and what teams go to the cups, do not ask me why this is like this because i do not know, you just have to tolerate it"

It seems the champion is crowned from the second part, and that's only 27 matches. I've won the Copa de La Liga, but never the "regular" league. The Copa was apparently only started in 2018....who knows why, It has 14 matches. I don't understand any of it, but it is a good challenge!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Math Memes GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I’m down to three legacy players now and it’s likely one of them will leave at the end of the season as 30 and no better than 5th choice DM. The other other two are also DMs but I’ve moved one to backup CB. He’s on a high wage so also likely to go at the end of the season due to his ability against wages.

8 hours ago, mschafer13 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That would just put me off the save entirely! 

I thought I'd share this player with you given the recent discussions on unambitious players and their development:

image.thumb.png.614e36307ee53b1bb4e1bdd8a893b99f.png

Tom Davies came in during the first year intake (now season 3) and last year I gave him 21 starts and 9 sub appearances. This year at the start of January he has 28 starts so I have put him ahead of an older more established midfielder (Jay Woodford).

In terms of his progress you can see here that he has developed well this season since being given the starting position in the team (note the significant change in August):

image.thumb.png.b3a9def8e91ad1fb57a6f58dda3d4c1d.png

In addition to this he is training incredibly well. I haven't tracked individual training patterns but I am considering doing so as I can do an export then a quick python script to move that export into a spreadsheet which will then show the trends. He is additional focus is on attacking movement which you can see he has improved in off the ball, anticipation and decisions so the individual training is working as intended.

Here is the individual training just now in January:

image.png.4ef102e0132b8c753e7f0127f5ac1569.png

Note that do have double intensity when they are fit:

image.thumb.png.d971eb9c03583d385283df9ff4b766f5.png

He is also in a mentoring group with a highly influential 34 year old central defender who is fairly determined (not ambitious to try to counteract the unambitious of both Murray and Davies, the only other senior player with a positive personality is also fairly determined)

image.thumb.png.76cd9ffbac6621e54531bf44fbd8d25c.png

The other player in that group, Harvey Murray YP-1A, is also showing signs of improving and again he is a first choice player but he was last year as well though his training level is 7.2 but he's never dropped low enough for me to warn him:

image.thumb.png.9c33ffaec56a334f03aa7783924c064c.png

As with Davies the additional focus for Murray, defensive positioning, is seeing some improvement in Marking however positioning and decisions aren't improving yet.

I'm not suggesting that the players will reach their potential but for Davies he went from 1.5 current ability to 2.5 now (and that's even with the recent intake adding a player that generally caused the relative ability ratings to drop, even Aled Morris YP-1A dropped to 4 star CA recently). Murray similarly went from 1 star to 2 star current ability.

All of my coaching staff are balanced with the exception of the fitness coach who is Fairly Ambitious.

I just wanted to call out that unambitious players aren't necessarily a lost cause, perhaps for me its the level I am at and that I really need to be playing them each game that is making the difference, just though it would be of interest to some following the recent discussions.

Seasonal Review 2038/39
image.png.a9e0ac8663de196c8f3c4902981f6a83.png

The Tableimage.thumb.png.6c508e37cb02b3395523d82741f3ef5a.pngCelebrations are upon us after not only going on to promote but win the Serie B! It was tight but a face-off against Parma in matchweek 36 guaranteed automatic promotion, and despite us only taking 1 point after said game. Neither chasers where able to pull out back to back win to contest us. I rushed to Pedone in hopes of contract extension, but he still isn't interested. I fear a sale is imminent as letting him leave for free isn't exactly ideal, but perhaps I could get him out of Italy?

The Squad
image.png.7ef59ced0c6bc37b3e4f1ea46b113daa.png
Heres the bois that finally claimed our promotion! Great impact from the usual suspects Mantineo, Turini, Pedone and Nardella.Vernocchi 36d and Fabiano 36c are both steadily improving. Fila 36h is not a commonly seen player around here, but he has grown well in the youth teams. Serie A will be tough on us, but I think our tactics and dynamics can outshine our lack of actual quality.

Player Spotlightimage.thumb.png.57841f265f91368480a9fb87a2362b07.png
image.thumb.png.e70f490077c6781e06b3ae3571b236c9.png
image.thumb.png.bbd453444dfbce5f86489c42394a428f.pngThis will is likely my last  chance to show Pedone 36a as a Piacenza player. A piece of me is going to struggle with not bringing him back.  Turini 35c is becoming a fine player, and I am super happy with his contract extension. Despite how good Pedone is I think Turini here and Nardella 34b are more important. Lastly take a look at Vernocchi 36d whos taking big steps! Not sure if football should have been his sport yet, but he's getting somewhere.

Transfers
image.png.807b65788fecbfc79c237ab2403c67b2.png
I sold off Nottoli and Macchioni both to Sassuolo and said myself happy with it.
Macchioni was facing plenty of competition from Fabiano and Vernocchi and was a better sale than the likes of Siri or Elzi. 

Improvements
image.png.d8c37b1e2f601dbe8ac2a773722c2689.png
image.png.754fa0da899ca0ed9495121515f67003.png

Youth Intake
image.png.3e97280cac0b0d0eb6f49da4a0a84083.png
image.thumb.png.c97e6506ba36229f70c00928849bff88.png
image.thumb.png.afacd124685bc008d543861b2649bf24.png
image.thumb.png.db6e2a9f779f304cd2067adf72fc7ed1.png
I have now long held my fingers crossed for more wingers and the class of 2039 doesn't disappoint! Let's start with Adriano and C.D.R both raw wingers with well lauded potential. One is more technical and one more physical. Their personalities are also quite good. Mercenary isn't ideal, but a very good starting point. We also signed a new creative looking midfielder which is much needed as Pedone is likely gone as the Serie A promotion hasn't impressed him.

Seasons Summaries and Recordsimage.png.6dfd1284a22282c6fc7587351e0f92f2.png
image.png.bb9e14924aa8b30bef53ce6ba1387271.png

Edited by HbG93

image.jpeg.348b56e650231c4f3b78b21d8fae41f1.webp.277b988ddf2e3be443d0319b3fbb7e88.webp.19044a04be670f8708dc6ae17ab8fbd6.webp

2026/27

Table | Squad | Transfers

Started the season really well going unbeaten for the first 9 games to go top. A sticky patch followed the first defeat where the club dropped out of the playoff spots by xmas. A renewed push in the at the end of jan sent the club back into the mix for the playoff spots making it with a game to spare. In the semi-final of the playoff the team faced S.Gijon B and won 3-1 away in the first leg before winning 2-1 at home with 2 late goals. In the playoff final the team faced another B team in Oviedo B. The away tie 1st leg was very one-sided and the team were lucky not to lose more than 0-2. In the home leg 2 goals in the first 7 minutes wiped out that advantage and although my team were slightly better could only draw the match 2-2 in the end.

Probably needed another season in this league to get some of the youth players up to a good level, but lost Llamas my 1st choice Gk at the end of the season as he wanted twice what i could offer him in wages.

Not entered in the Spanish cup but 5th should get an entry for next season.

Finances continued to drop until may when the board put £375K in and 19k crowds in the home playoff legs also helped.

Hoyos was again top scorer improving on last year. Several of the youth players have made the first team squad with Ramirez and Soriano producing as goal threats. Started the season with Dorronsoro at CB but he was  overtaken by Antonio by the end.

Youth preview was ok and was correct in that there were plenty of wingers, not sure how many will make an immediate impact.  Fraga, Moreno and Gill look the best.

Spoiler

Youth Nationalities:

Continent

Europe

Africa

South America

Asia

North America

Oceania

Overall

100%

Country

#

%

Country

#

%

Country

#

%

Country

#

%

Country

#

%

Country

#

%

Europe

87.50%

Spain

85.42%

Cameroon

4.17%

Brazil

2.08%

Mexico

1.04%

Australia

1.04%

Africa

7.29%

Bulgaria

2.08%

Mali

2.08%

Argentina

1.04%

South America

3.13%

Nigeria

1.04%

Oceania

1.04%

North America

1.04%

Asia

0.00%

Spoiler

Season

League

Position

Spanish Cup

Europe

Top Scorer

Top Assists

Attendance

Training

Youth

Junior

Youth Rec

Notes

2024/25

Federation 2nd Gp4

8th

2nd Rd

N/A

Jovanovic (12)

Carri (13)

Adequate

Adequate

Average

Average

2025/26

Federation 2nd Gp4

13th

Not entered

N/A

Hoyos (11)

Tejada(7)

Adequate

Adequate

Average

Average

2026/27

Federation 2nd Gp4

5th

Not entered

N/A

Hoyos (21)

Jovanovic, Soriano (25j), Ramerez (25c) (7)

Adequate

Adequate

Average

Average

Youth Name

All time apps

Youth Name

All time Goals

Youth Name

All time Assists

Moises Ramirez (25c)

Luis Soriano (25j)

Luis Soriano (25j)

Saul Dorronsoro (25a)

Moises Ramirez (25c)

Moises Ramirez (25c)

Luis Soriano (25j)

Santiago Alarcon (25i)

Ivan Conde (26e)

Santiago Alarcon (25i)

Guillermo Villanueva(26a)

Saul Dorronsoro (25a)

Ivan Conde (26e)

Ivan Conde (26e)

Javier Ruiz (25h)

20 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

Do you try to find a one size fits all tactic or tweak each game? Also do you think your attack is stronger than defence? That might help answer whether to thwart your opponents formation or exploit their weaknesses

I tend to keep tactics the same

I would say my defence is better than my attack. I only have one player worth over £5m in midfield and attack

20 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

save file will be big enough as it is. When I added Brazil to my FC Fleury 91 save a lot of staff appeared so it might be an idea, if you are stuck in a rut perhaps something like that might help or it might just cost you another 3/4 years of your save to go back to an English HoYD

Yeah its 535mb now and is quite slow to process some times between games

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

I tend to keep tactics the same

I would say my defence is better than my attack. I only have one player worth over £5m in midfield and attack

If that’s the case you’re better focusing on nullifying the oppositions main threats, regroup on losing possession and countering when you win the ball but make sure you are playing the quickest attackers you have, run at defence  and hit early crosses.

Well that’s what I’d try but I’m no super tactician that’s for sure :lol:

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

Season 194 - 2214/15 - PL

So..... I posted before about the start

Ended up with ONE win in the first 15

image.png.af2081c5a85cde76a7c6ed7e7d23e0fc.png

AND

ONE win in the last 7 games

image.png.3b07f72c96f23dc9c1cff9fd32c999d1.png

BUT

We actually won some games in between and finished 12th (our joint highest finish 2166/67)

So won 10 games in the middle of the season out of the other 16 games :eek:

My GK is a wonderkid

image.png.3f493256854873ce75dbbf8d9caacc98.png

One of the youth intake looks ok but has the most unfortunate name :ackter:

image.png.34a52ded6aee12b9192eaf350cc7c6f4.png

20241024165153_1.thumb.jpg.06935fa4cb9bf5db7c62245a356dbb3d.jpg20241024165208_1.thumb.jpg.0da4ab36a5ed19f51be0a94418152b80.jpg20241024165210_1.thumb.jpg.9544b20b868b99d88263af944a661454.jpg

image.thumb.png.857c21cfa89f9040b4da4860b068f507.png

Yes!!!

Awesome news, I take it McDaid is the England U21 keeper? If you can keep him tied down he could well be the foundation you are looking for to finally keep your feet at the EPL table long enough to start getting those elite talents coming through.

Chuffed for you :thup:

53 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Yes!!!

Awesome news, I take it McDaid is the England U21 keeper? If you can keep him tied down he could well be the foundation you are looking for to finally keep your feet at the EPL table long enough to start getting those elite talents coming through.

Chuffed for you :thup:

Yes he is the England U21 GK

image.png.c005ed00b84d8b1e8e4f1699ef8819a1.png

Yes need him to sign a new contract soon (he won't talk to me at the moment)