Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 15:38, whatsupdoc said:

It's not any of this stuff imo, it's just that in FM24 three things are happening: 

- Majority of goals are coming from advanced strikers and attacking AM roles. 

- the IFs do not cut in enough and do not make enough (or aggressive enough) diagonal runs in behind. 

- double DMs on support duty are OP.

These combine to simply make dropping an AM back to CM, and relying on IFs for more goals a simply inferior setup due to the nature of the engine. 

Things that are overpowered in the ME are often forward overloading runs that the AI struggles to deal with...I think most of these issues stem from a lack of a tactical ability. There is a difference between things that can break the game and the tactics the AI puts together. Human tactics put together heavily relying on the likes of IWB(a), AF, SV(a), SS will always run the risk of exploitation as the ME itself struggles to deal with that forward movement. 

The AI does not utilize a double DM(s) frequently and uses IF in both formations (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1). A player can use off footed wingers for a more direct driving run from wide players if they're unhappy with the IFs movement... but there is no reason an IF, or wide attackers in general, can't be your primary goal threat in a decent system (for you or the AI). This change will directly address your concern on the IF movement.

• AF's will always be strong in the ME due to that forward movement into space.
  • If you frequently use AFs In your setups you will struggle to get the best out of IFs. A striker like a DLF can offer holdup + link up play while occupying centerbacks for the IF to make his direct runs at goals. 

A double DM(s) is also not inherently overpowered. You will see many users use a DM(s) on the tactics forum, including myself, for its higher positioning and increased mentality when playing out from the back.

• I personally find The "play out from the back" TI a little counterproductive in its effects this year... so playing a double DM(s) can get you nice, progressive buildup play. The customization of the role is a big draw as well, as a blank role w/out hard coding under the hood you can add PIs w/out baggage.
  • Frequently I prefer a DM(s)/BWM(s) + SV(s) in my pivot, but that depends entirely on the tactic I'm using and how aggressive my wingback combo is. 

Your last concern on AMs being more effective than CMs disregards the positional play additions to FM24 (the biggest change this year), which easily allows you to rotate the CMs into AMC positions in possession. I would recommend you, or anyone else struggling with the tactical interface, to read through this thread on utilizing positional play:

Edited by Cloud9

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Things that are overpowered in the ME are often forward overloading runs that the AI struggles to deal with...I think most of these issues stem from a lack of a tactical ability. There is a difference between things that can break the game and the tactics the AI puts together. Human tactics put together heavily relying on the likes of IWB(a), AF, SV(a), SS will always run the risk of exploitation as the ME itself struggles to deal with that forward movement. 

The AI does not utilize a double DM(s) frequently and uses IF in both formations (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1). A player can use off footed wingers for a more direct driving run from wide players if they're unhappy with the IFs movement... but there is no reason an IF, or wide attackers in general, can't be your primary goal threat in a decent system (for you or the AI). This change will directly address your concern on the IF movement.

• AF's will always be strong in the ME due to that forward movement into space.
  • If you frequently use AFs In your setups you will struggle to get the best out of IFs. A striker like a DLF can offer holdup + link up play while occupying centerbacks for the IF to make his direct runs at goals. 

A double DM(s) is also not inherently overpowered. You will see many users use a DM(s) on the tactics forum, including myself, for its higher positioning and increased mentality when playing out from the back.

• I personally find The "play out from the back" TI a little counterproductive in its effects this year... so playing a double DM(s) can get you nice, progressive buildup play. The customization of the role is a big draw as well, as a blank role w/out hard coding under the hood you can add PIs w/out baggage.
  • Frequently I prefer a DM(s)/BWM(s) + SV(s) in my pivot, but that depends entirely on the tactic I'm using and how aggressive my wingback combo is. 

Your last concern on AMs being more effective than CMs disregards the positional play additions to FM24 (the biggest change this year), which easily allows you to rotate the CMs into AMC positions in possession. I would recommend you, or anyone else struggling with the tactical interface, to read through this thread on utilizing positional play:

Agree with some of that, esp the play out from the back comment. 

I'm aware of positional play and tested it extensively. Starting in AM isn't the same as rotating into AM.

The comments on DMs being OP and IF scoring, it's possible to get the non-meta things going ok but I still strongly feel the meta things are the meta for a reason. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

Hello everyone,

I appologise if this is the wrong thread but i can't find an answer.So i have a macbook pro m3.I had bought fm 24 and had used in a windows laptop for a month till the laptop was sold.Now on my macbook i see that i can't use fm24 data editor!:( Why is that? 

Is there a solution? Thank you all,Yannis

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 20:18, El Payaso said:

@Svenc pfff, checked your examples from the previous page. Luckily the game doesn't create these 30-40 shots on goal per game (per team) matches that often anymore. 

Yeah, and there were a lot of set piece based to boot then, making it appear you would actually penetrate the box successfully (and thus mostly low quality, e.g. headers in packed boxes under severe pressure). I mean, on the occasion you may score loads.  That's RNG, baby. But you can't rely on that. Checking every shot takes a lot of time, but stats never told that story. SI naturally also aren't watching but  stats. But it's something different to just watch numbers pile up, vs. analysing where those numbers are coming from. Both in terms of assessing a team's performance. And crucially, it is important for making a more realistic / better ME. As it's the kick by kick match play making for the stats -- not the way around. Why did the play then produce this many setpieces? And why did they so easily lead to lower-quality finishes?

Just found a couple of memes I made way back. A few of those were actually based on a player who sent me his save and who'd claim he'd struggle. He didn't actually. He was extremely successful. He just had a couple additional matches where his opponent scored from few or even first shots, when he never did. However his shot spread looked obviously very different to mine. He never took the criticism to heart and rather when with his cognitive bias and theory of AI cheating instead. :D 

KaZOrtJ.png

kFzhjCh.png

oNIHPPK.png

pdi3x2d.png

Dm5gA5S.png

Edited by Svenc

21 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Yeah, and there were a lot of set piece based to boot then, making it appear you would actually penetrate the box successfully (and thus mostly low quality, e.g. headers in packed boxes under severe pressure). I mean, on the occasion you may score loads.  That's RNG, baby. But you can't rely on that. Checking every shot takes a lot of time, but stats never told that story. SI naturally also aren't watching "stats". But it's something different to just watch numbers pile up, vs. analysing where those numbers are coming from. Both in assessing a team's performance. And crucially, it is important for making a more realistic / better ME. As it's the kick by kick match play making the stats, not the way around.

Just found a couple of memes I made way back. A few of those were actually based on a player who sent me his save and who'd claim he'd struggle. He didn't actually, he just had a couple additional matches where his opponent scored from few or even first shots, when he never did. However his shot spread looked obviously very different to mine, but he never took the criticism to heart and rather when with his cognitive bias and theory of AI cheating instead. :D 

KaZOrtJ.png

kFzhjCh.png

oNIHPPK.png

pdi3x2d.png

Dm5gA5S.png

I partially agree but at least in my opinion the amount of goals were kept within realistic numbers with artificial ways such as excessive amount of offsides and even unrealistically bad quality of finishing. 

I remember for example in FM 2015 when I got promoted with Real Oviedo to La Liga and had to start the season with two away games against Barcelona and Real Madrid and managed to draw against both of them while facing about 60-70 shots in total. In real life they would have scored multiple goals from the chances that they got but in the game I only conceded once in those two games. 

Finishing in general is miles sharper nowadays on FM and the statistics in general are more realistic. I think SI have done a fantastic job in many areas of the ME during the last couple of years. It's way more football-like than the ones about ten years ago. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Agree with some of that, esp the play out from the back comment. 

I'm aware of positional play and tested it extensively. Starting in AM isn't the same as rotating into AM.

The comments on DMs being OP and IF scoring, it's possible to get the non-meta things going ok but I still strongly feel the meta things are the meta for a reason. 

I would encourage you to ignore "meta" and plug and play tactics. These are formations that are designed to break the game and do not indicate that a role does not work properly. If you choose to break the game, you can't complain that it doesn't work properly. There's really nothing game breaking about a well designed role like the DM(s). I imagine a lot of the meta formations you're seeing are asymmetrical 4-2-4's, striker less formations and stuff like this where a DM(s) could hold the fort well.

For the human player you can overachieve, and more, through understanding how roles work and making tweaks w/ the Positional Play feature. I've been playing a save with severe restrictions (no future fees, no loans, no Saudi transfers, scout only transfers etc.) and managed automatic promotion with a 4-4-2 counter attack (far from the meta or whatever) w/my Sheffield Wednesday side, proceeded to stay up with a 4-3-3 counter and then transitioned to a progressive 4-2-3-1 when my scouts brought me a cool f9 regen to play.

I dumpstered Man City on the way to a Europa League final in my fourth season in charge (Man City who were running a plug and play like 4-2-4 with IWBs, DM(s), IF(s), and AFs btw). In the final I was losing 2-1 to a 4-2-3-1 Fiorentina side with 20 minutes to go, but made subs and role changes and stormed them out 4-2 at full time. This is the base of the formation I used throughout that season. 

Screenshot2024-05-22at9_53_54AM.png.de609d9b1e0c82cf2939768c83c284a3.png Screenshot2024-05-16at10_20_38AM.thumb.png.117f2498928288535bbe892c14abf759.png

The tactic itself is successful through role pairings, PIs, and catering to the strongest players strengths. You don't need to feel pidgeon holed by strong roles or plug and plays to build a tactical style that you enjoy watching and brings you trophies.

Edited by Cloud9

20 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I would encourage you to ignore "meta" and plug and play tactics. These are formations that are designed to break the game and do not indicate that a role does not work properly. If you choose to break the game, you can't complain that it doesn't work properly. There's really nothing game breaking about a well designed role like the DM(s). I imagine a lot of the meta formations you're seeing are asymmetrical 4-2-4's, striker less formations and stuff like this where a DM(s) could hold the fort well.

Snipped some stuff from your post to keep it brief, and the bold bit is your bold. But I just wanted to highlight this.

Look at that sentence objectively for a moment.

The defensive nature of many people in this community is staggering when people are pointing out legitimate issues with the game, and sums up why I only really come on here for the IRL football chat these days.

34 minutes ago, Craigus89 said:

Snipped some stuff from your post to keep it brief, and the bold bit is your bold. But I just wanted to highlight this.

The defensive nature of many people in this community is staggering when people are pointing out legitimate issues with the game, and sums up why I only really come on here for the IRL football chat these days.

FM is a sandbox game that's primary objective is to replicate real life, not competitive balance, which means by design you will need to set the parameters of what you're comfortable using/not using in it. This is definitely the case in how roles are coded (my issue with roles this year is that positional play changes are too strong in human hands). All I'm saying is you need figure out how you want to play or it's going to be a frustrating experience :thup: You don't need to feel like you have to utilize these things to succeed on FM.

Some elements are left in the game intentionally I think (AF's being strong, gegenpress being a bit OP) as they make the game accessible to new players...but if they're detracting from your own enjoyment you can just choose not to use them. That's a result of the game being one difficulty setting for everyone. 

From the points @whatsupdoc makes...making wide players more accessible would be a strong change to the game to have it reflect more of what we're seeing from real life. I disagree on the double DM(s) pivot, since only utilizing this would make my tactics weaker. 

Here is another resource for anyone looking to get into the tactical side of the game. It's not updated to FM24's positional play changes but the core idea of how a role is supposed to function is laid out in a user friendly manner here. 

Anyways tone is easily lost in writing and I'm not trying to have a go at anyone with my original post, sorry to hear you've had bad experiences on the forums. 

1 hour ago, Craigus89 said:

I actually agree with you both (you and @Cloud9). While it is legit from Cloud9 to say that people should not complain when they are knowingly doing things that the game can't handle. On the other hand FM should be a game offering balance no matter what style of play you are using. Even though I had many years off from the game, I still know that people have raised many repetitive inbalances (pace and physical attributes in general and top-heavy and overly aggressive systems for example) for years now and those haven't been able to be fixed.

Obviously it is logical in that sense that SI have probably known for a long time that FM 2025 will be a big game changer and this of course means that there hasn't been 100% focus on for example FM 2024.

Anyway, in general, I do feel that this version is the best FM I have played so far and it gives me a good reason also to continue with FM 2025.

On 22/05/2024 at 17:56, Svenc said:

Yeah, and there were a lot of set piece based to boot then, making it appear you would actually penetrate the box successfully (and thus mostly low quality, e.g. headers in packed boxes under severe pressure). I mean, on the occasion you may score loads.  That's RNG, baby. But you can't rely on that. Checking every shot takes a lot of time, but stats never told that story. SI naturally also aren't watching but  stats. But it's something different to just watch numbers pile up, vs. analysing where those numbers are coming from. Both in terms of assessing a team's performance. And crucially, it is important for making a more realistic / better ME. As it's the kick by kick match play making for the stats -- not the way around. Why did the play then produce this many setpieces? And why did they so easily lead to lower-quality finishes?

Also, I think people too seldom remember when it happens in their favour. I mean, I just had this match.

WBNuZOq.png

I'm of course the away team, and we got lucky. We faced a better team, but we took the few chances we got. It also helps when this is how well the opposition took theirs.

0A77sv5.gif

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Craigus89 said:

More success than I ever had while using a mid-table team. To say I was dis-heartened would be an understatement. I also came across some of the threads about pace & acceleration being king, and did a couple of tests myself and saw how busted things were.

All fair points :thup:

My big issue with the test regarding physicals was that they showed how strong speed is in gegenpress/transition football as an underdog. Speed inherently fit their system and was a big reason why it worked (pressing/tons of space to attack in behind against sides underestimating you). These styles demand pace to work. 

• I believe it was a plug and play like tactic. I can't remember exactly, once I see a double AF or SV I pretty much switch off.
  • All the best squads in Europe are built around an ethos...and if you want to win w/speed that's totally reasonable. Atletico win games by kicking people :D 
  • I posted the success I had in the save above to show you don't need to rely on these gimmicks to overachieve in the game, build around any style of play and you can overachieve at an unrealistic rate.
  • Pace kills in IRL football as well. 

I like where mental attributes are at in the game, particularly in the defensive third...try a Mourinho-esque approach w/out adequate ones and you'll be in a world of trouble. 

Technical attributes are the area in need of work imo and are a little neglected as is. In particular: first touch, pivotal IRL but isn't as rewarding/punishing as it should be. Technique + finishing are the other two big ones I'd like more weight on.

FM25 will be on the Unity Engine, but I agree with @El Payaso on how positively the ME itself has evolved over the past two editions.

Edited by Cloud9

On 23/05/2024 at 03:13, Cloud9 said:

For the human player you can overachieve, and more, through understanding how roles work and making tweaks w/ the Positional Play feature. I've been playing a save with severe restrictions (no future fees, no loans, no Saudi transfers, scout only transfers etc.) and managed automatic promotion with a 4-4-2 counter attack (far from the meta or whatever) w/my Sheffield Wednesday side, proceeded to stay up with a 4-3-3 counter and then transitioned to a progressive 4-2-3-1 when my scouts brought me a cool f9 regen to play.

I dumpstered Man City on the way to a Europa League final in my fourth season in charge (Man City who were running a plug and play like 4-2-4 with IWBs, DM(s), IF(s), and AFs btw). In the final I was losing 2-1 to a 4-2-3-1 Fiorentina side with 20 minutes to go, but made subs and role changes and stormed them out 4-2 at full time. This is the base of the formation I used throughout that season. 

Screenshot2024-05-22at9_53_54AM.png.de609d9b1e0c82cf2939768c83c284a3.png Screenshot2024-05-16at10_20_38AM.thumb.png.117f2498928288535bbe892c14abf759.png

The tactic itself is successful through role pairings, PIs, and catering to the strongest players strengths. You don't need to feel pidgeon holed by strong roles or plug and plays to build a tactical style that you enjoy watching and brings you trophies.

I'm not really fussed if there's a meta. Every game has one and games always will.

It's more the things that aren't working super well, like inside forward play, playing out from the back, sweeper keeper positioning, the problematic way playmakers work etc etc which cause problems with realism/variety/depth. 

Anyway I've posted detailed examples of these and hope they're tuned a bit better in fm25. 

15 hours ago, XaW said:

I'm of course the away team, and we got lucky. We faced a better team, but we took the few chances we got. It also helps when this is how well the opposition took theirs.

0A77sv5.gif

Putting a shot from inside the six yard box out for a throw-in takes some doing :lol:!

On 21/04/2024 at 21:07, XaW said:

Well, I can confirm that docking points is indeed possible in the game. I'm in 2029 and about to start the season and Sheffield Wednesday just got docked 12 points for going into administration.

Yy8f3ER.png

1Bi6vf9.png

An in the same veins, budget breaks also can give point deductions. I do like that these types of things can happen!

8LzsXse.png

On 21/05/2024 at 17:22, XaW said:

Just found out the game does actually let you discuss xG, as I had this question in a press conference.

image.thumb.png.95106506d1353eaa025dda63be6957c2.png

The answer in the middle gives away the meta of xG in essence, but also the one left of it goes a bit into the exceptions to xG based on player quality.

This is also a feedback on how questions in the press conferences needs to be more unique, as I trawl through a million identical ones to find gems occasionally. So my feedback to SI is once again; These types of questions are the type we want, remove the fluff and keep the press conferences short and sweet and only have actual contextually sound questions. Please remove the "team x are over/under achieving, what do you think?", "are you trying to buy player y?", "are you happy you won the game?" type questions that are just boring repetitive. Keep questions to a max of 2-3 each time and only have interesting ones. Leave the standard questions out of it and it will be much more interesting to actually attend the press conferences.

Press Conference Q: Who do you think will win the nextgn award?

Me: I've absolutely no idea because I'm managing in the Vanerama North in 2055 and I have never heard of any of these players on this list...

So I just pick one at random.

I guess questions like these are an attempt at world building but in reality are kind of annoyances.

3 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Press Conference Q: Who do you think will win the nextgn award?

Me: I've absolutely no idea because I'm managing in the Vanerama North in 2055 and I have never heard of any of these players on this list...

So I just pick one at random.

I guess questions like these are an attempt at world building but in reality are kind of annoyances.

Indeed, but it needs to work in the context. If one of your players were in contention, then that would be a nice question, but when none of those players are on your team or any shortlist, then it's a bit moot.

The questions in a press conference can improve immersion and world building, but there is far too much repetitive questions as well as insisting when it's not logical to do so. Especially when the centre (neutral) answer is an answer and not "i don't want to answer". I mean, I got asked "how do you get along with <opposing manager>, and my actual connection is "None", so I said "I don't know him, but I hope to get to know him better" as is the "neutral" option, and then a journalist press for a real answer? I mean, if I don't know how him, how can I have another answer?

I know press conferences are annoying and repetitive in real life, but we can "pretend" most are answered dully, and only give me an option to answer any special questions that have an actual meaning to me and my team. And also, never ask the same more than once every 3 months or so unless it's a follow up from a previous answer with an actual update. "Are you buying player x?" with an answer of "No" and then I buy him. That could trigger "You said you were not in contention for player x, but now he is here, what happened?" That would be a GOOD question to ask, as an example.

16 hours ago, XaW said:

Also, I think people too seldom remember when it happens in their favour. I mean, I just had this match.

WBNuZOq.png

0A77sv5.gif

Sorry for the off-topic but I have always wondered about these numerical codes that some players add to the player names. What do they mean? 

6 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Sorry for the off-topic but I have always wondered about these numerical codes that some players add to the player names. What do they mean? 

Because I play youth-only challenges and that's how I name the players from my youth intakes.

37 minutes ago, XaW said:

The questions in a press conference can improve immersion and world building, but there is far too much repetitive questions as well as insisting when it's not logical to do so. Especially when the centre (neutral) answer is an answer and not "i don't want to answer". I mean, I got asked "how do you get along with <opposing manager>, and my actual connection is "None", so I said "I don't know him, but I hope to get to know him better" as is the "neutral" option, and then a journalist press for a real answer? I mean, if I don't know how him, how can I have another answer?

I love this one. I got it the other day in first press conference before my first game in charge at the start of a save. I'm new to the club and it's my first management job. There's even a box in the corner of the screen saying 'none' for my relationship with the opposition manager. So I give the answer you describe and get "the public will want a proper answer from you" from some buffoon journalist, whose name I then write down in order to belittle and insult them at every opportunity, even though I make a point of roleplaying a friendly, positive guy.

I'd stopped playing for a while as I'd grown bored of my long term save. I've recently tried to start a new one and my main feeling about FM24 is frustration because the biggest issue with this game is the same as it has been for 3 or 4 years in that the game offers players absolutely no useful feedback.

Backroom staff are beyond pointless. The only reason to hire coaches and assistants is to take training sessions and make sure players aren't unhappy. From a tactical or squad management input though I might as well have hired my four year old. Have you considering demoting your top scorer to a squad player for no reason? Have you considered dropping your most inform defenders for these players I like?

Then when you get into a match it is somehow worse. I understand sometimes teams shut my tactics down but why can't my staff give me any insight into why? If I'm 30 minutes in, against a team I'm favoured to beat and I've managed one shot on goal, where is the insight? Are the opposition sitting too deep for my longer passing to exploit? Are they man marking my playmaker and dispossessing them with ease? Are they shutting down passing lanes forcing my defenders to go long? Who can tell? Certainly not my staff. They might suggest I try and win some set pieces though.

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

I'd stopped playing for a while as I'd grown bored of my long term save. I've recently tried to start a new one and my main feeling about FM24 is frustration because the biggest issue with this game is the same as it has been for 3 or 4 years in that the game offers players absolutely no useful feedback.

Backroom staff are beyond pointless. The only reason to hire coaches and assistants is to take training sessions and make sure players aren't unhappy. From a tactical or squad management input though I might as well have hired my four year old. Have you considering demoting your top scorer to a squad player for no reason? Have you considered dropping your most inform defenders for these players I like?

Then when you get into a match it is somehow worse. I understand sometimes teams shut my tactics down but why can't my staff give me any insight into why? If I'm 30 minutes in, against a team I'm favoured to beat and I've managed one shot on goal, where is the insight? Are the opposition sitting too deep for my longer passing to exploit? Are they man marking my playmaker and dispossessing them with ease? Are they shutting down passing lanes forcing my defenders to go long? Who can tell? Certainly not my staff. They might suggest I try and win some set pieces though.

I've hated this about backroom staff for years now, especially when they get promoted as an improved feature. Attributes on them should mean something. An assistant with a very good tactical attribute should be able to provide some decent advice. Instead it's just a number to boost the star rating of training. 

I understand why they probably don't go down this route, at the end of the day it is Football Manager and they won't want to take away too much away from the user, but we're at the point of presets now so I don't see why acquiring a very good backroom staff wouldn't have this sort of effect.

I feel like this would bridge the gap between what is actually happening in the engine, and what the visual engine is showing. I honestly don't understand how anyone could watch the ME and understand fully what is happening and where things are going wrong, because sometimes what you're seeing just looks like nonsense. At least having a decent backroom staff could help that understanding more, because currently trying to watch the ME in any depth is guesswork.

5 hours ago, XaW said:

Indeed, but it needs to work in the context. If one of your players were in contention, then that would be a nice question, but when none of those players are on your team or any shortlist, then it's a bit moot.

I know press conferences are annoying and repetitive in real life, but we can "pretend" most are answered dully, and only give me an option to answer any special questions that have an actual meaning to me and my team. And also, never ask the same more than once every 3 months or so unless it's a follow up from a previous answer with an actual update. "Are you buying player x?" with an answer of "No" and then I buy him. That could trigger "You said you were not in contention for player x, but now he is here, what happened?" That would be a GOOD question to ask, as an example.

Yeah exactly this.

If one of my players was in contention it would be a nice bit of world building and immersion building.

Now however it's an annual question I have no answer for and takes me out of the world a little bit.

And yes the "the public will want a proper answer" ones are so annoying because usually as you say that is my answer and the only logical one from a role-playing perspective.

Another one I see a lot that kind of grinds my gears is around transfers. When they ask an initial question if you'll be signing anyone and you truthfully say "No, I'm happy with what we've got".

Then they follow up with "So the rumoured deal for X isn't true then?" And it's always a player I've never heard of, don't even have a scout report for them even, in a position my squad is stacked.

Doubly annoying if they've also asked me which position I think we need strengthening in previously!

I've grown to tolerate press Conferences I used to just get my assistant to do them but their answers are a whole other barrel of lunacy..."yeah sure we'd love to sell star player!" (Erm no we wouldn't).

33 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Yeah exactly this.

If one of my players was in contention it would be a nice bit of world building and immersion building.

Now however it's an annual question I have no answer for and takes me out of the world a little bit.

And yes the "the public will want a proper answer" ones are so annoying because usually as you say that is my answer and the only logical one from a role-playing perspective.

Another one I see a lot that kind of grinds my gears is around transfers. When they ask an initial question if you'll be signing anyone and you truthfully say "No, I'm happy with what we've got".

Then they follow up with "So the rumoured deal for X isn't true then?" And it's always a player I've never heard of, don't even have a scout report for them even, in a position my squad is stacked.

Doubly annoying if they've also asked me which position I think we need strengthening in previously!

I've grown to tolerate press Conferences I used to just get my assistant to do them but their answers are a whole other barrel of lunacy..."yeah sure we'd love to sell star player!" (Erm no we wouldn't).

I've only got anecdotal evidence from my own feeling, but I tend to do better whenever I do press conferences myself rather than allow the AM to do it... Don't know if it's just confirmation bias when I look for it, or if there is a link, but it certainly feel that way. So I usually do all/most press conferences in any save now, but since they are so repetitive, I know what and where to click from reading the first 5 words for most questions. That's why I notice the good ones too, I just have to endure all the others to spot the gold! :D 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I've only got anecdotal evidence from my own feeling, but I tend to do better whenever I do press conferences myself rather than allow the AM to do it... Don't know if it's just confirmation bias when I look for it, or if there is a link, but it certainly feel that way. So I usually do all/most press conferences in any save now, but since they are so repetitive, I know what and where to click from reading the first 5 words for most questions. That's why I notice the good ones too, I just have to endure all the others to spot the gold! :D 

First thing I do each new FM is fire up the editor and set the press conferences questions limit to 3 for each competition I play. Done in 30 seconds. 100% attendence record. Smile warmly at everyone and get a nice reputation. Job done.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm done with using data analysts, recruitment analysts, loan managers, DoFs, technical directors and even scouts in this game. I don't mind getting rid of the others since they're useless in general (and even in hindrance with their decisions), but I disappointingly can't get scouting to work no matter what advice I find online to follow, so I'm just going to make my own shortlists, remove the 'hide attributes' feature at the start of saves, and read data with the Mustermann skin to make transfer decisions. On the plus side, I'll have less to care about with contract renewals and staff wages.

15 hours ago, XaW said:

I do all the press Conferences now unless I'm throwing a Sir Alex Fergusonesque hissy fit over a defeat and then I send the AM, I got so annoyed at the AM saying silly things.

My usual strategy is to just read the replies and choose based on those rather than bother even reading the questions, I'd say about 90% of the time I answer with the second answer from the left!

Cruising during a game, scoring goals from various players and various ways, my AS suggest playing for more set pieces as they seem to be working, erm no my attacking free flowing football is what's winning the game not the odd free kick or corner. This game is all over the place, boring as hell once you suss out how to play the ME, talking to players creates a host of problems and pressers are just a total waste.

Is there any newgen face file? Without any long installations or downloading any programs. Just unpack it in the graphics folder and replace those... splattered faces with any other ones? Every third junior has a huge, black rash on my face, I don't like it

2 hours ago, Polando said:

Is there any newgen face file? Without any long installations or downloading any programs. Just unpack it in the graphics folder and replace those... splattered faces with any other ones? Every third junior has a huge, black rash on my face, I don't like it

Plenty of them. Obviously you have to have a program to install them but there are instruction videos on YouTube which makes it a ten minute job when you do it the first time and tens of seconds when you know how to do it. 

I have personally never understood why anyone would use the faces generated by the game. I've always deactivated them as the first thing after installing the game. 

And back to the topic. Thanks to the beautiful weather that has lasted for weeks here in Finland, marathon practicing, wedding planning and work, I nowadays gave just 2-3 hours max to play FM during a week. For me this is the best possible pace: playing 1-2 games every now and then and slowly progressing.

Also with a defensive system and low block the matches are really enjoyable. Tight games decided by the closest margins. I think I have never enjoyed FM this much, not even in 2007 and 2008 which I have played the most. 

5 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Plenty of them. Obviously you have to have a program to install them but there are instruction videos on YouTube which makes it a ten minute job when you do it the first time and tens of seconds when you know how to do it. 

I have personally never understood why anyone would use the faces generated by the game. I've always deactivated them as the first thing after installing the game. 

I remember that in FM22 there was a downloadable file from Zealand, where you simply put the faces into the graphics folder, without any additional software

5 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Also, "team reports" are an OP way of scouting.

image.thumb.png.263c76b3b01e243f4c70fda373cc3a48.png

This took a few days. Would've taken months otherwise.

I agree with this, if you are a big team with a few scouts in a small 10-12 team league you can get scout reports on every single player in your league in a few days/week as opposed to basically never.

6 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Also, "team reports" are an OP way of scouting.

image.thumb.png.263c76b3b01e243f4c70fda373cc3a48.png

This took a few days. Would've taken months otherwise.

Player search is also OP. The solution is to not use the things that are too powerful. 

On 26/05/2024 at 10:20, Polando said:

It’s not too hard and worth spending the time as it’s helps hugely with immersion. There’s nothing worse than getting a promising newgen who looks like a 1980’s Thundercat! Hopefully FM25/Unity increases the quality as they are so far behind the minimum expectations of a computer game in 2024 (and to be fair are probably way more than a decade behind the state-of-the-art). 

22 minutes ago, CAE82 said:

It’s not too hard and worth spending the time as it’s helps hugely with immersion. There’s nothing worse than getting a promising newgen who looks like a 1980’s Thundercat! Hopefully FM25/Unity increases the quality as they are so far behind the minimum expectations of a computer game in 2024 (and to be fair are probably way more than a decade behind the state-of-the-art). 

3D match engine and faces generated by the game are two features of the game that I have never used or probably ever will. 

The interface of FM has not been that pretty for a long time but luckily there are easy ways to mod the game. 

When I see people not using real bans fix, custom skin, face packs etc. I am practically always asking why on earth. 

We'll see what happens with FM25. Unity should improve the UI a lot, but could also spell the end of custom skins etc. It's clear now the system that has been in place for years makes it fairly easy for 3rd parties to get around licensing rules and has allowed the development of mods like face packs, kits, logos, competition names etc. There is absolutely no guarantee this will be the case going forwards and at the very least could require the community to find whole new ways to make those mods.

3 hours ago, CAE82 said:

We'll see what happens with FM25. Unity should improve the UI a lot, but could also spell the end of custom skins etc. It's clear now the system that has been in place for years makes it fairly easy for 3rd parties to get around licensing rules and has allowed the development of mods like face packs, kits, logos, competition names etc. There is absolutely no guarantee this will be the case going forwards and at the very least could require the community to find whole new ways to make those mods.

They'd be mad to go down that route.

12 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Player search is also OP. The solution is to not use the things that are too powerful. 

Disagree...

The solution is for the developers to be informed and add it to the list of fixes...

10 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Why don't you report it as a bug then? 

Because they mostly stopped reading them months ago. I still have bug reports from November unread.

14 hours ago, SPE3D said:

They'd be mad to go down that route.

The point is they may have no choice. Using Unity may make it much more difficult/impossible to make the 3rd party mods. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, CAE82 said:

The point is they may have no choice. Using Unity may make it much more difficult/impossible to make the 3rd party mods. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.

It also may make it much easier to tinker with ME?

5 hours ago, CAE82 said:

Still would probably be a bigger bummer for the sales than raising the difficulty level through more competitive AI. 

Lots of things would need to happen with the interface for me to be able play with a vanilla version of FM. 

Posted (edited)

Has player selections in awards (Goal50 especially, but also Ballon D'or, FIFA Player of the Year) been ever aknowledged as a bug by SI? I've seen it reported plenty of times recently, especially for GOAL50 picking the same players regardless of performance/league and not picking regens at all.
My player scored 78 goals in a season (59 goals in 30 league games) and has carried that on next season with 30 in 19, yes he hasn't made the top 50 list and didn't show up in the top3 for Ballon D'or or FIFA POTY. 

image.thumb.png.07960ac3a1ec685055fb3ad3712267d7.png

Edited by Mitza