When will si releases news from the FM 25?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I am very disappointed. It's basically no different from the previous few fm games. The same colour blending windows, old FMs were much nicer to the eye. I understand that the interface is supposed to be simple, but it's all flat and ugly, like a label on a toilet bowl liquid.I missed the previous two releases because there was more marketing and big announcements than good changes. I'm waiting for the match engine.

Edited by armbi

31 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Looks unconvincing to me. It looks like some kind of mobile game tbh :( 

FM25 Demo 4

Why couldn’t they at least add some colours? It’s so plain.

They got the Premier league license just to have managing in the Premier League look like this? What makes any of it unique? Hopefully this is very far from the final version. 

Edited by ForTheLoveOfTheGame

2 hours ago, Boycott said:

I'm the opposite view here. Touchline shouts in my view are fundamentally broken and have been since brought into the game in my view. Because as the piece admits the effectiveness is blunted if you have to wait for a window to be able to use them when in real life managers don't have to wait to send a message. And unless you hit pause a lot there is often a situation where you click a shout the morale impact has to wait for an ongoing highlight to finish. And so what was the "right" shout a moment ago completely backfires because the game doesn't instantly transmit its effect until after a highlight is finished.

Yep. I'm happy they are gone for thus reason

14 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

The same is true of crafting a design that’s platform agnostic, enabling ease of play whether you’ve got a mouse and keyboard, a controller, or even a touch screen. 

Really struggling with this bit. 

If you make a UI on the basis of it being easy to use with a controller in mind, then that comes at the expense/detriment/limitation of all the other ways to play. 

I wouldn't expect FM to look the same on a computer as I would on an Xbox, or on my mobile device. Which is what I thought the whole purpose of FM touch and FM mobile was. Designed for different play styles and level of depth which usually correlated to that particular platform and user base.

Think of board games. It's a booming market. Especially in adults nowadays. Settlers of Qatan etc. But then you also have the family board game market with a broader age range in mind. If you design a board game with the above in mind that is meant to be enjoyed for all, then it has to be useable/enjoyable for the youngest. So using language/game themes and ideas for say a 5 year old will come at the expense of how the same game could be played by a 30 year old.

I have an adjustable basketball hoop outside. If my son wants to play with it I lower the height and he has fun. If I want to play with it I put it higher and I have fun. If we were to set it in the middle for both of us, both of our fun and enjoyment would be impacted.

You cannot make a singular UI that is designed for cross-platform use with such a wide range of playing styles (plug and play, hardcore career 20+ year FM'ers), especially not in a market and world where, if anything, you should have more customizable options in a UI/game to make it as bespoke as possible rather than implying restrictions.

I really hope my reading of the development blog is wrong and either this is in no way shape or form near the finished product, or that we have simply been shown FM Touch/a mobile view.

I think you have to wait and see more in September tbh. We've only seen 2 or 3 screens that don't show much and don't talk about how customisable it is. Can't really come to any conclusions about the UI at this stage.

4 минуты назад, Platinum сказал:

Football management simulation yes. The spreadsheet bit no, it's not needed to be a spreadsheet, and it's bad design imo.

Probably meant Excel tables, which are sometimes called FM, and not visual design

13 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I hope the 2d Pitch can be enlarged.

It's too small and looks like im looking at FM for mobile...

For what i understand, this is the new match in between highlights "tablet", not the main thing (to actually display the action, it being in 3D or 2D), and not a bad one like the old ones we have to mod every year.

2 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of old text-based sims when they actually had some identity.

Old FMs had its own style, unique look, now it looks like all mobile games dedicated to make it more pleasant when you sitting on toilet.

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

The same is true of crafting a design that’s platform agnostic, enabling ease of play whether you’ve got a mouse and keyboard, a controller, or even a touch screen. 

Really struggling with this bit. 

If you make a UI on the basis of it being easy to use with a controller in mind, then that comes at the expense/detriment/limitation of all the other ways to play. 

I wouldn't expect FM to look the same on a computer as I would on an Xbox, or on my mobile device. Which is what I thought the whole purpose of FM touch and FM mobile was. Designed for different play styles and level of depth which usually correlated to that particular platform and user base.

Think of board games. It's a booming market. Especially in adults nowadays. Settlers of Qatan etc. But then you also have the family board game market with a broader age range in mind. If you design a board game with the above in mind that is meant to be enjoyed for all, then it has to be useable/enjoyable for the youngest. So using language/game themes and ideas for say a 5 year old will come at the expense of how the same game could be played by a 30 year old.

I have an adjustable basketball hoop outside. If my son wants to play with it I lower the height and he has fun. If I want to play with it I put it higher and I have fun. If we were to set it in the middle for both of us, both of our fun and enjoyment would be impacted.

You cannot make a singular UI that is designed for cross-platform use with such a wide range of playing styles (plug and play, hardcore career 20+ year FM'ers), especially not in a market and world where, if anything, you should have more customizable options in a UI/game to make it as bespoke as possible rather than implying restrictions.

I really hope my reading of the development blog is wrong and either this is in no way shape or form near the finished product, or that we have simply been shown FM Touch/a mobile view.

But, we’ve done our homework and could not be more confident that the direction we’re heading in is the right one. 

Will be interesting to see. I am really tuning in how they will explain their UX choices, because this is promised. 

We’ll be talking about this journey in more detail at the forthcoming Unite event in September, covering more of the technical details of how we worked together to make the FM25 UI a reality. 

Overall yeah did not expect much and not let down because of it. I am glad they bite the bullet to remove some features for release and push decent game out. What we are seeing creates mixed feelings, specifically the UX stuff. Really feel mobile, consol UX coming over to PC. Hope there is a bit more toggles to get more overview etc.

Need to investigate, but a bit concerning might be how much we could see modders working on these so called tiles and card system to get more indepth UIs we are used to from our amazing community,

FM25 Demo 1

And then, in the screenshot below you can see what happens when you click on the form tile - it opens up a “card” with more information.

FM25 Demo 2

This only  confusing to me? What part here is the so called card then and where did it open? On the tile, under it, pop up?

Anyway, its hard they are doing and hope they dont go too far with the modern hype stuff and be true to their identity. Or at least give option.
And like others, uhh i was really exited  to see some 3D, even a small alpha progress...

Just on this, quoted from Miles' blog post.

"The same is true of crafting a design that’s platform agnostic, enabling ease of play whether you’ve got a mouse and keyboard, a controller, or even a touch screen. "

Enabling ease of play with different devices is especially important for people with disabilities e.g. motor-control issues. I suspect going down this route might make FM more accessible to some people? I know Miles / SI (I think) are supporters of https://www.specialeffect.org.uk/ - a charity that enable gamers with disabilities to be more easily able to access games. In this discussion on this issue, I'd ask everyone to give this at least a little thought.

I hope this is part of the motivation for this route and it would be good to get a response from someone from SI about this. :)

2 hours ago, saihtam said:

This only  confusing to me? What part here is the so called card then and where did it open? On the tile, under it, pop up?

Check my post (two posts before yours) - second screenshot shows an opened "card". I've seen the same desing being used in wide range of applications, especially games and trading apps. I'm not familiar with the specific design code, but it seems many cross-platform apps today use a very similar design.

10 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

The same is true of crafting a design that’s platform agnostic, enabling ease of play whether you’ve got a mouse and keyboard, a controller, or even a touch screen

And that's most likely the real revolutionary change - not the match engine, but tendency to develop towards mobile devices, and that means minimalism so that you can play rather not old fashioned way with PC or laptop but wherever you are and have a while for fast playing couple matches. 

Old school players like me doesnt like that because that way they take "FM soul" making this game somethnig simple, but we know nowadays how gaming looks like.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

Ah, the common bland mobile game look. I don't like where it's all going. This is a pretty common design these days.

Here are a few screens from a game called Football Coach: College Dynasty. This game is about American college football and is developed by one person alone.

ecc0184b423bdb048277b205f26a0cb1.png

e37d98b2ef4a85adcb82794e35543b08.png

d3d9d680472f92246c420e630c3c50b7.png

It uses the same tile and card system that adjusts automatically for every screen size and resolution, which is fine.

However, the design is so blatantly used en masse these days that I can barely see any difference in the UI and the graphical representation between different products. I really expected more from SI.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of old text-based sims when they actually had some identity.

To be fair, I wouldn't be mad if it looked something like this... with just a touch more personality added. 

This should be the base level, the bare minimum, and on top of that it should be personalized, and unique. 
Unique in terms of: 1 - having a clear identity, when you look at it, you know it's Football Manager, rather than "Generic sports simulator 1".

2 - having the colors adjust based on club you're managing/competition you're in.
When I manage a club, I want it to look and feel different. League 2 side, and Premier League sides should have differences. 

How do you achieve that?

Well for one, I think the amount and quality of data shown on various screens should decrease the lower you go (and less staff / less quality staff you have). 
There should be a setting you can enable, if you want a realistic representation, or if you want to just play and have all the information available. 
And all of this should be visually represented in a way that you can notice and differentiate between a top level side, and an amateur team.

At this moment, the previews we got actually look worse than the screenshot above, which is slightly concerning (but then again, we haven't seen how it actually looks in-game).

Edited by (sic)

The same is true of crafting a design that’s platform agnostic, enabling ease of play whether you’ve got a mouse and keyboard, a controller, or even a touch screen. 

I just can’t shake the feeling that this is what Windows 8 tried (and failed) to do. 

31 minutes ago, Sport Lacost said:

Has anyone said yet whether fm24 save games will transfer over to fm25?

It would be silly to introduce the transfer save feature just for 1 iteration of FM, so I assume you will be able to 

Edited by Mobius

This was my take a year ago. The non-match day UI/UX will be drastically different; the kinks and quirks of the Match Engine will look more refined with the new Unity-based match animations.

On 03/07/2023 at 14:50, Harper said:

My expectation is that FM25 is 90% a lift and shift. Plugging the current match engine and existing modules into the Unity API for a GUI refresh.

This was what I wrote in the other thread after today's blog.

I think the concerns about the full fat FM being degraded are a little unfounded. My experiences with the mobile versions have also left me a disappointed because they lack the depth the PC version lets me explore. SI has been making the mobile/console versions as a sort of FM Kiddie Pool/Shallow End while PC is the Adult Swim/Deep End with noticeably  different UIs. I hope and expect that SI will continue pruning some of the depth features in Mobile/Console and maintain the full fat FM.

Edited by Harper

1 hour ago, Mobius said:

It would be silly to introduce the transfer save feature just for 1 iteration of FM, so I assume you will be able to 

They said last year they were hoping to do it but the change of engine presented some challenges that needed to be overcome. They’ve not confirmed it’s in yet, BUT it wasn’t on the list of removed features so that’s a good sign.

13 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

FM13

Hide contents

fm13-mod-match-split_1.jpg

Hide contents

2015642-682636_20121025_003.jpg

FM24

Reveal hidden contents

football-manager-24-stats.jpg?width=690&

Reveal hidden contents

2-goalkeepers-injured-in-one-match-both-

FM25

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot%204_EN.jpg

It's possible I'm being unfair and just very set in my ways :D but I think each of the above shows a gradual decline in how the match day screen should work.

FM13 vs now 

Around the FM13 timeperiod you had widgets that were customizable and draggable. The beauty of this (for me at least) was that you were able to see player ratings from both teams in a full list from top to bottom including bench players. You could see their position, condition, rating and if they had been brought on, off or carded very easily in one glance. IIRC if you dragged the ratings wide enough you could then select it so you could see player stats passes etc in a number format.  You also had that lovely screen pre-game which really added to the immersion which said stuff like ''players 100th game for the club, needs one more goal to be top scorer in history etc'' .

On the current version the above isn't possible. It's cut off for player ratings in terms of length (so for me usually just the first 10 players then cuts off the rest and the bench) and you can't see stats for them during the game. You also on the current version if you choose a league table often can't see fully from top to bottom, and it also isn't wide enough to display GD. So you can be at the last game of the season joint top on points with someone... and not be able to see each others live GD. Also on latest scores often the team names can't be displayed fully for e.g instead of Huddersfield it shows H...eld.

I just feel like with the UI in recent years for the match day screen and also for the proposed one for FM25 it doesn't allow you to feel immersed or get the info you require. You have several blocks on the screen, sure, and to an extent you can choose what they are. But you will only be able to see 60% of the league table without scrolling, only 40% of a team sheet without scrolling or having to do more clicks to see the stats you want to see (condition, morale, if they were subbed).

No it's not just you I've been pretty vocal in criticising the direction the UI/UX has been going for the past 5-6 years, more clicks to achieve what was possible in one in the past being a major annoyance of mine, but seeing your post it seems like it's been more like a slow gradual decline over the past decade.

Initial impressions of the new UI isn't great but as Jack Joyce says they are just design mock ups so I'll wait to see actual in game screenshots before I sharpen my pitchforks.

14 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

FM13

Reveal hidden contents

fm13-mod-match-split_1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2015642-682636_20121025_003.jpg

FM24

Reveal hidden contents

football-manager-24-stats.jpg?width=690&

Reveal hidden contents

2-goalkeepers-injured-in-one-match-both-

FM25

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot%204_EN.jpg

Still can’t get over how much better FM13 match day looks compared to the one they are releasing this year. The screen feels alive. 

Even the really small details that add something to the game (and that I love to see personally) - Stadium, attendance, weather, kick off time. Gradually removed year on year…why?

Edited by ForTheLoveOfTheGame

I've slept on this one a bit.

Whilst I am probably still erring on the side of being cautious/concerned in UI direction after seeing the update and screenshots yesterday, I am very aware the images shared in the update are design mock-ups (as very very high level examples of how it could look) and that a fair bit of movement and detail will come out in some of the consequent updates. Hopefully also, regardless of the final product customization (both UI modding and in-game selection of items) will still be very much possible for users (especially important if we are heading for an agnostic UI).

Very keen to read the next set of updates and looking forward to getting hands on as I feel ultimately the proof will be in the pudding of having a product to test/play around with for a period of time before forming a more complete pinion and feedback from that.

From working in PM in the public sector I'm aware of how fine the line is in getting the right balance of comms/transparency whilst in the development pipeline between internal resource, stakeholder and end users and at the right points so Kudos for continuing with the transparency also, SI. It's something that's been requested for quite a while so I welcome the move into having more transparency and communication even if the feedback isn't perhaps always necessarily as positive as anticipated. It lets people have discussions, share opinions and debate at a much earlier point in the run up to release which is positive for all in the long run as long as it's constructive. 

I know what we're all waiting for in the next update. LET US SEE THOSE UNITY MANAGER EYEBROWS :D

I don't want to disappoint mod lovers, but I think with the new UI modding might not exist, at least not in the same way we are used to. Certainly there will be some level of customization within the game, such as picking background and highlight colors, changing text size, etc. but that would be it. My expectation is that with this specific UI system they are using it will be totally different and coded within the game files making it no longer accessible for modding. I could be wrong, though.

10 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

LET US SEE THOSE UNITY MANAGER EYEBROWS :D

I'm just hoping the female generated faces stop looking like a very tired single mother of 6 kids under 10....

image.png.323be776b5bc9f943ff1d7b37f99cd42.pngimage.png.a1c77068dbeb5437031c084477115a28.pngimage.png.ac2f38f111c0cc5e9c68a4b070b597dd.png

It's the sad eyes and the unhappy smile, man! 

10 hours ago, grade said:

So this is the big announcement... I don't know why I always elude myself, that SI is learning and will deliver something to tease us about FM25, as promised... Yet I always get disappointed somehow, with a few snippets here and there and a few feature cut announcements (being saying that for years, but I didn't expect a create-a-club would be one of them).

This is yet again a disappointment, not for the coming drastic changes, but reveals nothing of FM25.

Why not show how the tiles work, instead of telling us? Let us see the Portal in action, to see if it works better than the inbox. Nope sorry... Too early... September... maybe. See you then!!!!

:(

I don't see the point of all of this secrecy behind FM at all... This isn't transparency or any sort of balance of it. You're only the most detailed football sim game in the desktop ecosystem in town. Give me proper dev diaries... please?

I really, really, hope these changes are for the making a better and not the reason for cutting development expenses.

You'll be OK, we have got the first bit of news in June and the game comes out in October at the earliest. This is a good thing. More will be revealed, have a bit of patience 

3 hours ago, XaW said:

I'm just hoping the female generated faces stop looking like a very tired single mother of 6 kids under 10....

image.png.323be776b5bc9f943ff1d7b37f99cd42.pngimage.png.a1c77068dbeb5437031c084477115a28.pngimage.png.ac2f38f111c0cc5e9c68a4b070b597dd.png

It's the sad eyes and the unhappy smile, man! 

@XaW Sir, please inform me that womens football will be an optional extra & not mandatory if you load a countries leagues

3 hours ago, Platinum said:

You'll be OK, we have got the first bit of news in June and the game comes out in October at the earliest. This is a good thing. More will be revealed, have a bit of patience 

I, personally (yet again I call for the importance that this is my personal view), was sold there would be a major announcement in Q2 of 2024... Does this sound like a major announcement? This isn't an announcement at all, not even a preview (Premier League was a good preview, not this that was released yesterday). Usually, SI traditional announcements are more filler than actual feature announcements, but at least it has depth, it had meat, and it had something in them to tease us about the new game.

This sounds more like "Oh s****, we promise something in Q2 we are at the end of it... You intern, write something quickly that broadly hits these following points..."

This announcement is nothing. I don't feel excited about FM25. I'm more clueless than before. what did we exactly learn? We lost some features and here are some concept designs of how this will eventually look like, that is it.

Did I mention we were promised a Major announcement in Q2 of 2024? Yes, you are right they also said "We're aiming" as there are no certainties on the dates, but if that is the case I prefer an honest and sincere post from Miles, stating the usual excuse: Yes we promised you news in Q2 of 2024, but we are unable to meet that deadline... sorry, forgive us... we are working hard to deliver a good game for you guys... yada, yada, yada. We hope to blow your mind when we do announce the game... and so on.

There is no shame in doing this. Companies do it all the time... did the world end? No, but God forbid SI ever do this kind of stuff, the world might end.

Oh, and I'm perfectly fine... Thanks for caring. I didn't lose any sleep over this! Cheers :D

PS: October for the release date... That is way too optimistic. No earlier than November. Yes I'm not a fortune teller, so I might be wrong about this perdiction.

4 minutes ago, Brodie21 said:

@XaW Sir, please inform me that womens football will be an optional extra & not mandatory if you load a countries leagues

I think read somewhere in the post that will be one single database...  not database (but looks like it), here is the Quote:

Full details of which leagues will be playable will be revealed in the coming months, but, yes, you will be able to seamlessly move between managing men’s and women’s teams. One game, one ecosystem.

Edited by grade

9 minutes ago, grade said:

I think read somewhere in the post that will be one single database...  not database (but looks like it), here is the Quote:

Thanks grade. If that's the case, FM24 will be my last game in the series. If we can choose what leagues we want to load, we should be able to have the choice of not loading womens leagues, for the same reason we may not load for e.g. the USA leagues........because we may have absolutely zero interest to see or hear about them.

12 minutes ago, Brodie21 said:

Thanks grade. If that's the case, FM24 will be my last game in the series. If we can choose what leagues we want to load, we should be able to have the choice of not loading womens leagues, for the same reason we may not load for e.g. the USA leagues........because we may have absolutely zero interest to see or hear about them.

I feel like they are forcing women's football for the sake of inclusivity when nobody, not even women, are following it. Yet, they are removing the 'create a club' feature due to a lack of interest.

4 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I feel like they are forcing women's football for the sake of inclusivity when nobody, not even women, are following it. Yet, they are removing the 'create a club' feature due to a lack of interest.

I could not agree more. There are enough inclusivity issues to deal with in real life. This is a game. We've always been able to choose what leagues we want to indulge in. No way am I going to have leagues thrust upon to me.

Sorry, but for the few posts above... you realise the game has always been one single database? Regardless of the leagues and nations you load up it's still one singular database?

So you simply if you don't wish to play with the womens leagues, you don't load it as a league? It will run as an inactive league like all the others with only the high profile players on there and the transfer restrictions will be for them to only remain in womens leagues and competitions, and you'll only be able to manage in that league if you load it as a league. The same way if you were to load a game with England, Spain and France on it and then 5 years in decide you want to add Denmark too so you, y'know then make it an active league as your choice...

Why would you expect there to be two separate databases for the mens gameworld and female gameworld when in real life they are on the same world just in separate competitions? 

Edited by Domoboy23

6 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Sorry, but for the few posts above... you realise the game has always been one single database? Regardless of the leagues and nations you load up it's still one singular database?

So you simply if you don't wish to play with the womens leagues, you don't load it as a league? It will run as an inactive league like all the others with only the high profile players on there and the transfer restrictions will be for them to only remain in womens leagues and competitions, and you'll only be able to manage in that league if you load it as a league. The same way if you were to load a game with England, Spain and France on it and then 5 years in decide you want to add Denmark too so you, y'know then make it an active league as your choice...

Why would you expect there to be two separate databases for the mens gameworld and female gameworld when in real life they are on the same world just in separate competitions? 

Sorry, not sure I understand what you're saying. The way for me to understand it is for example, If I load leagues from England now, I have a choice of 'premier league' level only' right down to the 'vanarama north / south' leagues. If I just want 'premier league', I have the choice. So, if womens leagues are separate to load, thats good with me. If by loading the 'premier league' clubs & that also loads their womens teams, I have no interest.

This should be a simple question but i've yet to see a definitive answer from SI, which I find quite bizarre

1 hour ago, Brodie21 said:

Sorry, not sure I understand what you're saying. The way for me to understand it is for example, If I load leagues from England now, I have a choice of 'premier league' level only' right down to the 'vanarama north / south' leagues. If I just want 'premier league', I have the choice. So, if womens leagues are separate to load, thats good with me. If by loading the 'premier league' clubs & that also loads their womens teams, I have no interest.

This should be a simple question but i've yet to see a definitive answer from SI, which I find quite bizarre

I'm pretty sure this will be the case and is there anything to suggest that it's not? No one is forcing anything on to anyone. The women's game is a growing market with increasing attendances and it makes sense that FM would want to be in on that. 

Edited by BristolCity1992

3 hours ago, Brodie21 said:

Not sure why you expect me to know, but I would assume you would be getting the option to load whatever leagues are in the base game.

I'm excited to try out women's leagues, mostly to see if I notice any difference between that and the men's leagues, as I would want it as a new experience.

The Match engine will be The same both for Men and women, right ? Because in my opinion it doesnt make sense.

I dont watch womens football but the few matches I watched, it became clear to me the differences, especially physically wise. Women battle way less physically on the pitch in comparison to Men, and FM for years have been about physicals.

I will wait, but will be very disappointed if the ME is the same for women

31 minutes ago, Rodrigogc said:

The Match engine will be The same both for Men and women, right ? Because in my opinion it doesnt make sense.

I dont watch womens football but the few matches I watched, it became clear to me the differences, especially physically wise. Women battle way less physically on the pitch in comparison to Men, and FM for years have been about physicals.

I will wait, but will be very disappointed if the ME is the same for women

They’ve said previously one of the reasons it wasn’t just dropped straight in was a requirement for a different ME. I think you’ll be fine in that regard.

1 hour ago, BristolCity1992 said:

I'm pretty sure this will be the case and is there anything to suggest that it's not? No one is forcing anything on to anyone. The women's game is a growing market with increasing attendances and it makes sense that FM would want to be in on that. 

Pretty sure that we'll have the option to load them or that they'll auto load with teams e.g. a premier leagues team would load up with the reserves, U18's & womens team?

I'm aware some people may be interested in it & of course it's their right to try it, in the same way that people should have the choice not to have it. 

I've never said don't put it in the game. Simply give people the option to play it or not