How excited are you?

EXCITED? WILL YOU WATCH EVERY GAME?

I don't even know when it starts, times have changed for me...are people different? I just don't find the players these days have my attention or is it just getting old

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little excited. England look like potential winners on paper, and Germany are always reliable hosts for a quality tournament.

As with all World Cups and Euros, I'll watch every game - or at least I'll try to. I'll be moving house pretty soon (no date set currently), so that might clash with a game or two in the latter stages.

I probably would have just watched the England and Scotland games without any real interest in the competition as a whole, but thanks to taking part in Gizzy's draft game I'm looking forward to seeing some of the players I've researched (and/or drafted) in action.

13 hours ago, Citizen Sandman said:

times have changed for me...are people different? I just don't find the players these days have my attention or is it just getting old

I'm the same, we're just getting old. 

When you're a teenager these tournaments are BIGGEST THING IN YOUR LIFE EVER but then it just becomes the 14th or 15th tournament you've seen and it's like meh. Still cool, but meh

I do think hype has been weirdly missing in general from media etc, at least over here in Portugal, but let's see how it goes once it gets closer to the tournament

Oh and the change in format from 16 to 24 teams hasn't helped. Too many anonymous teams around. It'll be the same with the extended world cup, it's way too much

• Administrators

The format change reduces the stakes for me of the group stage games, so every game feels much less like they matter as much. It's much easier to follow, permutations wise with a 16 or 32 team setup because you know your teams likely path to the final.

I'm still excited about the tournament and will watch as many games as I can, but it is almost as if the tournament doesn't really get interesting until after the group stages,  which is a shame. 

I do think football fatigue comes into it as well, there are increasingly too many games to follow and keep track of now. 

Since Greece got knocked out and I won't attend, I don't think I care that much.

Will try to watch as much as possible without interfering with whatever I have on schedule in the first stages. 

Which means I'll miss almost all early fixtures at group level and during the weekends I might miss most games anyway since it's summer time and I won't be sitting in front of a tv. Plus it's wedding season over here so almost all Saturdays are booked.

I'll probably watch almost all knockout games though since the timing is good enough. Might miss some weekend ones if there are any

Right now, not at all. I didn't even know who were in England's group until I checked the fixtures recently.

No doubt I'll get into it when the tournament starts, especially the knockout stages.

We're a bunch of grumpy old ones around here.

The youths have higher levels of excitment (in this case for football games) but they won't be around here (probably on discord, twich or x).

2 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

The youths have higher levels of excitment (in this case for football games) but they won't be around here (probably on discord, twich or x).

I'd say excitement for a large group of people from nations that participate is always a given, no matter how watered down the tournament appears from the outside.

And then there's a bunch of kids that may be excited because it's their first big tournament or because in general it's easier to follow these games rather than league games due to it being every day, there's no school and the weather - in most places - is much better than the rest of the months, so it's just a plus that there's something to talk about whilst outside for those who are working all day long.

Got way too much other stuff going on to get properly excited. Probably gonna watch the odd game here and there, try to watch all Poland's games.

4 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

I think that's very true:lol:. When I was younger I was a lot more excited about international football.

I'm sure I'll watch most of the games though. As soon as it starts I'll be hooked. And this year I can't see a clear favourite to win it. Could be an interesting competition. Hopefully :D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Kinda hard to be excited for the German NT nowadays. :D

Who cares for those bottlers anyway? You? I pity you :lol:

Edited by Carambau

I'll be a bit more positive and say I'm excited. Definitely less than I was when I was younger but still love being able to watch random matches every day for what feels like ages. 

Posted (edited)

I'm looking forward to it

les excited than I was as when  was in my teens/twenties, back then I watched a lot of football and knew loads of players, nationalities, dob, etc. from European club football

nowadays it's less cause of the excessive number of matches/leagues/championships on tv

add to that the fact the international football championships have an extended format, more teams qualifying, loads of group matches etc.

guess at some point/age I reached some kind of saturation 

Edited by buffalo

Actually very excited. We've become so used to England being actual contenders under Southgate,  so I'm excited to see this England team go deep again the tournament. It's expected. 

We also have the most exciting attacking set of players I think we've ever had. That's exciting. 

And, not a popular opinion probably - but I've seen enough from Southgate's development as an international manager to see he's trying to play more progressively in recent years, despite his own limitations.  So excited to see how that plays out. 

Other than England, it's an international tournament, always excited when they come around. Not really a football if you can't get excited for these. 

And lastly, I'm excited to see some new players! I don't watch anywhere near the amount contentinel footy as I used to, so I'm looking forward to seeing some talented kick-ball people. 

9/10 excited my end.

Posted (edited)

Not really given the tournament any thought whatsoever yet, though will get fully into it and watch as many matches as possible once it starts.

Edited by VP.

Feels a bit like one of those Decembers when you don't quite get in the Christmas spirit until the 23rd or something. Most years I'm excited for Christmas all through December and most tournaments I'm looking forward to at least a fortnight before, but I'm not feeling this one yet.

Will probably pop Mike Bassett on the day before the opener and be well up for it by then though.

don't really expect much for Scotland but it's a month without bothering about club football so it's good with me.  Also there's definitely a chance of qualifying out of a group stage

dislike the format but which football fan doesn't get interested to watch a major tournament? started from Italia 90 and I'm still interested to watch this one

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

@Rob1981 the kids want a wallchart, which one you going with? 

I've been loyal to When Satuday Comes for about 20 years now.  But it's not necessarily the best one for younger kids because the boxes to write in are quite small.  The one in World Soccer is colourful and a decent size... but loses points because it doesn'tleave space for the group tables. 

There will be some more in the various newspapers this Saturday/Sunday I imagine.  But you need to make sure you go for a glossy one that is printed on decent paper and included as an insert.  Not one of the cheap-ass versions which is just pulling out the middle two pages of the paper and getting covered in newsprint.

You've got to take this stuff seriously.

Posted (edited)

It’s an age thing I think. I’m 37 now, with young kids and like to lead as boring a life as possible. I had a free morning today and have been trying to get myself in the mood watching past tournament highlights involving England, both Euros and World Cups and it’s occurred to me the recent ones I have hardly any recollection of as opposed to earlier tournaments that I watched when younger. I remember distinctly, England’s ***** tournament games, like Nigeria in 02 and Paraguay 06; against the US in ‘10 but god was I surprised when I was reminded that England won their opening game of ‘22 6-1. I have no memory of that at all. I’ll still watch as I have always have, but losing and winning means a lot less, to me at least, as age takes over. I’m just happy now when I’m able to climb the stairs pain free for a change. 

Edited by jonnybegood

I will be in Germany for entire duration of the tournament. That's because I live in Germany however. Long gone are the times I used to schedule my holidays around the Euros or World Championships. They're not as special as they used to be. I'll still try and see as many games as possible though. Home office has it's perks. 

2 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

@Rob1981 the kids want a wallchart, which one you going with? 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

I've been loyal to When Satuday Comes for about 20 years now.  But it's not necessarily the best one for younger kids because the boxes to write in are quite small.  The one in World Soccer is colourful and a decent size... but loses points because it doesn'tleave space for the group tables. 

There will be some more in the various newspapers this Saturday/Sunday I imagine.  But you need to make sure you go for a glossy one that is printed on decent paper and included as an insert.  Not one of the cheap-ass versions which is just pulling out the middle two pages of the paper and getting covered in newsprint.

You've got to take this stuff seriously.

Observer and the Sunday Times usually do the best ones from the Sundays.

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

If we're still talking wallcharts, there is a decent one in the Radio Times as well this week.

I've just sorted mine from the No Score Draws guys that do the Panini drawings, something a bit...different :D

23 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

If we're still talking wallcharts, there is a decent one in the Radio Times as well this week.

Where does one purchase the Radio Times from in this age? :D 

25 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Where does one purchase the Radio Times from in this age? :D 

I buy it once a year when they do the double issue at Christmas :D  But I did happen to see they had a wallchart while I was in Morrisons queuing for something else.

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I buy it once a year when they do the double issue at Christmas :D  But I did happen to see they had a wallchart while I was in Morrisons queuing for something else.

**** just been Sainsburys as well :( 

I am a purist, have to order a fresh set every tournament so that we always have the right combination of flags... Every time my kids are like: "Have you ordered the flags yet?  Have you ordered the flags yet?" :D

Keep thinking I might grow up but it hasn't happened so far.

I've still booked annual leave for the week after next, because I've been booking holiday for the first week of the international tournaments ever since I started work 20-odd years ago.  So I booked it, had to buy extra holiday... then realised the only 2pm games are Romania v Ukraine, Croatia v Albania, Slovenia v Serbia and Slovakia v Ukraine :(

My excitement will be tempered when Germany race into an early two goal lead in the opening fixture.

But I'm hoping Czechia and Slovakia can get through and give me a reason to be invested in the knockout fixtures.