How excited are you?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

I've still booked annual leave for the week after next, because I've been booking holiday for the first week of the international tournaments ever since I started work 20-odd years ago. 

I used to be religious at this, working out holidays for major sporting events 2 years in advance so I knew I'd always get them as everyone else would leave it till the last few weeks and panic. Followed England every where from 1982 to 2006, even if we didn't have tickets

These days I couldn't give a toss, Monday night for example I didn't even know they were playing till I saw the score on the news. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head who's in our Group even. I'll still watch the actual tournament games, but I have no love for modern football in any form sadly, so I'm still firmly in the Yawn Camp

I always enjoy a tournament, but I can't get excited or optimistic about England because it's the same old tournament story. This time, we look really promising across most of midfield and up front (if Kane stays fit).

But - at the back and in goal there are questions almost everywhere about form and/or fitness, with the exception of Walker. I'm a big believer in the old "Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles" line, especially in international tournaments. You can't hope for that with large question marks over Shaw, Stone and Maguire. Pickford just stresses me out with his mad ****.

I should feel excited since this is our first Euro in 20 something years but our team's been so dreadful ever since Qatar's qualifiers that I can't help but fear the worst.

As for the games, I'll watch them as much as possible. I've missed maybe two, three games during the last World Cup. Love me some tournament football. And it'll be a month or so without live football (I don't bother with friendlies) so there will be an itch to be scratched...

On 05/06/2024 at 20:23, SouthCoastRed said:

I used to be religious at this, working out holidays for major sporting events 2 years in advance so I knew I'd always get them as everyone else would leave it till the last few weeks and panic. Followed England every where from 1982 to 2006, even if we didn't have tickets

These days I couldn't give a toss, Monday night for example I didn't even know they were playing till I saw the score on the news. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head who's in our Group even. I'll still watch the actual tournament games, but I have no love for modern football in any form sadly, so I'm still firmly in the Yawn Camp

Must be an age thing.  I'm the same

I'm excited.  Love a summer tourney and England are geniuley in the group of favourites for this one.

The excitement for England has also amped up since I quit watching club football.  I used to struggle to get 100% behind certain players, but now my problem is that I have never seen some of the players play :D

16 hours ago, EdBed said:

I'm excited.  Love a summer tourney and England are geniuley in the group of favourites for this one.

The excitement for England has also amped up since I quit watching club football.  I used to struggle to get 100% behind certain players, but now my problem is that I have never seen some of the players play :D

You sure? :D

16 hours ago, EdBed said:

How you feeling now you have :D

Not excited at all.

I will be watching in general, unlike the WC which I completely skipped because of it being in Qatar, but I haven't had excitement for international football for many years, and my general football interest has also waned massively over the years.

Back when I was in my early 20's, playing CM, I knew all the players, but these days I don't even know half of the players of the teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc... and couldn't even tell too who the hell Adam Wharton is who's made it into the England squad. I'm only really interested in watching United play these days, and am otherwise barely engaged with the PL.

Too much football, it's run terribly, corruption everywhere, blood money... just cba with it.

Lads, I won't lie.  I am buzzing now :D

I've even spent £30 on an indoor TV aerial so that I don't have to watch the games on my firestick... can't face another tournament where I am always two minutes behind everyone else in the match threads.

22 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Lads, I won't lie.  I am buzzing now :D

I've even spent £30 on an indoor TV aerial so that I don't have to watch the games on my firestick... can't face another tournament where I am always two minutes behind everyone else in the match threads.

Rob watching the Euros

mqdefault.jpg

I have been in Berlin over the last two days and the Germans are certainly very excited - it is everywhere.

There are pop-up shops all around the city, several in the Hauptbahnhof, the souvenir shops are full of merchandise, everything has a Euros theme, from the sides of the buses, flags in the streets on the taxis and TV ads - you can't escape it. There is pretty much every strip and I noticed quite a few Scotland tops.

For those who know Berlin, at the top end of Unter Den Linden, just to the west of the Brandenburg Gate they are building enormous fans zones. The main one is right behind the gate, with two further zones closer to the Reichstag.

The main fan zone features what they are referring to as the "largest goalposts in the World" and part of it can be seen in the first picture, to the right hand side, as well as the TV studios.

The second picture shows the size of the giant TV screen - you  can see through the gate that several pieces are already in place and you can see roughly that it is going to be enormous. You can also see more of the goalposts on the left hand side. I couldn't capture the whole of the goalposts - there wasn't enough room between the Brandenburg Gate and the fan zone to fit it all in.

On the other (eastern) side of the gate they have built an enormous TV pundits park with about a dozen TV studios, all piling on top of each other, with one open air studio on top. The third picture shows this from the side at the top of Unter Den Linden, from the American Embassy side.

image.thumb.jpeg.db51ab3fa88f3549bc078587d46aa7c6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2fcfb126ecd804a1485f262ab9937158.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Sons FC

Decided to get a 5ftx3ft flag as not done this for years but have also bought a flag pole and fixing that goes on the side of the house.

Wife doesn't know yet and will definitely go mental when she sees it. Plan is to put it up tomorrow before she gets in from work :brock:

13 minutes ago, VP. said:

Decided to get a 5ftx3ft flag as not done this for years but have also bought a flag pole and fixing that goes on the side of the house.

Wife doesn't know yet and will definitely go mental when she sees it. Plan is to put it up tomorrow before she gets in from work :brock:

The old beg forgiveness rather than seek permission! Good luck VP.

50 minutes ago, VP. said:

Neighbours will either think you're supporting England or Reform :D 

I'm not quite there yet, and to be honest this tournament has a significantly different feel with Scotland being involved.  I don't count 2020/21 tournament given the weird Covid feel around the whole thing, so this is the first tournament I actively remember where we're involved.  Usually I can look forward to a tournament as being completely neutral, and in previous years I've usually taken a week off over that first golden group stage week to take in as much as possible.  Holidays are a bit tighter this year though, and with a baby due in late July, there's plenty more on my mind than a summer tournament.  I'll enjoy it when it's here, and then probably enjoy it in a different way when we embarrass ourselves go out sneak through to the knockouts win the whole thing.  It'll also likely be my 7 year old's first proper tournament experience, so hopefully that makes a difference.

20 hours ago, Sons FC said:

I have been in Berlin over the last two days and the Germans are certainly very excited - it is everywhere.

There are pop-up shops all around the city, several in the Hauptbahnhof, the souvenir shops are full of merchandise, everything has a Euros theme, from the sides of the buses, flags in the streets on the taxis and TV ads - you can't escape it. There is pretty much every strip and I noticed quite a few Scotland tops.

For those who know Berlin, at the top end of Unter Den Linden, just to the west of the Brandenburg Gate they are building enormous fans zones. The main one is right behind the gate, with two further zones closer to the Reichstag.

The main fan zone features what they are referring to as the "largest goalposts in the World" and part of it can be seen in the first picture, to the right hand side, as well as the TV studios.

The second picture shows the size of the giant TV screen - you  can see through the gate that several pieces are already in place and you can see roughly that it is going to be enormous. You can also see more of the goalposts on the left hand side. I couldn't capture the whole of the goalposts - there wasn't enough room between the Brandenburg Gate and the fan zone to fit it all in.

On the other (eastern) side of the gate they have built an enormous TV pundits park with about a dozen TV studios, all piling on top of each other, with one open air studio on top. The third picture shows this from the side at the top of Unter Den Linden, from the American Embassy sid

I was in Berlin over the weekend of the Euro 2016 final to see Rammstein, and as it got closer to the event, it looked like we might end up being in the city as Germany lined up in the final.  Even my wife was interested, and she ****ing hates football.  Plan would be to maybe head along to the Brandenburg Gate and soak up the atmosphere.

Of course, Germany shat the bed against France in the semi final the day before we left, and safe to say the Brandenburg Gate didn't look quite as grand when we did eventually visit.  At least this year I'll definitely be in Glasgow when we stroll the final.

Edited by forameuss

25 minutes ago, forameuss said:

in previous years I've usually taken a week off over that first golden group stage week to take in as much as possible.  Holidays are a bit tighter this year though with a baby due in late July,

In 2010, I took a full two weeks' holiday for the WC in June, even though my firstborn was due in August. 

Looking back I'm not proud of it.

8 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

In 2010, I took a full two weeks' holiday for the WC in June, even though my firstborn was due in August. 

Looking back I'm not proud of it.

You can have a kid every year, big tournaments happen every other year. :thup:

Mood is declining every day.

Yesterday in Frankfurt, on the EURO "fan mile" along the river, where the public viewing stage is installed, a woman who was sitting on a bench was stabbed with a knife by an afghan migrant. German Media are almost not reporting this at all, fears of staining the tournament before the start I guess, downplaying the "knife man" problem in Germany essentially. Let´s just hope no one gets stabbed during the EUROs.

Mainufer in Frankfurt: 19-Jähriger nach Messer-Attacke auf Frau in U-Haft | hessenschau.de | Panorama

Edited by Carambau

Does the non sigames side of this forum have less active users than it used to? Just the Euros forum seems pretty quiet compared to previous years. You'd probably have individual threads for most of the bigger / popular sides by now. Feels like there isn't much happening excitement wise.

When there's a tournament about to start, as now, and a colleague asks me a totally legitimate work request for a piece of work, like "could we have that by Wednesday?", I feel put out by it and feel like saying "don't you know there's a tournament about to start?!".

Irrational but i've always felt like this.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

White house and Red door, should have gone all the way and just painted a cross 

Great idea and instant divorce too :brock:

Though football would almost certainly be coming home so kinda worth it.

9 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Be interesting to see how this pans out:

The first thing that came to my mind is what about goalkeeper captains? The foul is on the other side of the pitch, are they supposed to run all the way across?

Donnarumma is Italy's captain for example.

They better give it to Barella or he's getting at least one yellow every game. :lol:

Just taken the kids on a late night trip to the big Tesco. FFS. £60 on those Italian and Spanish style meats, then some Scottish shortbread and cheeses from Germany and Switzerland and Netherlands and Denmark.

£60 ffs. I am a ****ing idiot. AND that only gets me through until Sunday night. Come Monday when France and Belgium play we all know I will be traipsing back for croissants and waffles.

10 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Just taken the kids on a late night trip to the big Tesco. FFS. £60 on those Italian and Spanish style meats, then some Scottish shortbread and cheeses from Germany and Switzerland and Netherlands and Denmark.

£60 ffs. I am a ****ing idiot. AND that only gets me through until Sunday night. Come Monday when France and Belgium play we all know I will be traipsing back for croissants and waffles.

You need help tbh

10 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Roast Beef on Sunday?;)

45 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

haha, that’s class :D. An idiot but a good dad!

I hope I never lose the excitement of an international tournament. It's great. With the first 2 groups round we get like a weeks worth of 3 matches a day and then we get knockouts which is always good because it's win or go home. Mix in a few days/nights watching in beer gardens with mates and what more could you want? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

That's the spirit Rob. :applause:

• Administrators
6 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The first thing that came to my mind is what about goalkeeper captains? The foul is on the other side of the pitch, are they supposed to run all the way across?

Yes. I imagine it's similar to my game of FM when this happens, when my GK is taking the free kicks and corners, he's retreated all the way back to goal by the time VAR has given the penalty (which the GK is the designated taker for). 

13 hours ago, VP. said:

Great idea and instant divorce too :brock:

Though football would almost certainly be coming home so kinda worth it.

What did she say about the flag? 

I thought you meant a little plastic flagpole but that's basically a permanent installation. :D