Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

I like how the discussion in this forum is all around the attacking midfielders options (which are decent enough picks and can understand them).

From the outside of UK and looking at the squad that doesn't look at all as a defense which can win the tournament, CB and LB seem really poor at the moment, curious how they get on...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Outside of Grealish, I think it's a mistake to leave Branthewaite home and could be costly. Left footed centre back so useful, especially when me might not have any left footed defenders on the pitch (depending on Shaw)

Hope Wharton starts tonight, the more I watch of him the more brilliant he looks. Actually think he's a much better foil for Rice than Mainoo - there's still time.

Guehi isn't left footed but plays on the left for Palace

On 22/05/2024 at 09:24, Smallen said:

It is time to start playing TAA inverted from left back imo. Gareth has two games + the groups to coach it. 

Out of possession 4-4-2 press:

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Maguire - TAA

Saka - Rice - Bellingham - Gordon

Foden - Kane

In possession 3-2-4-1:

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Maguire

Rice - TAA

Saka - Foden - Bellingham - Gordon

Kane

I really wish we had a decent left-footed centre back. The lack of left-footers is the only thing that imbalances us. Otherwise this is the greatest team to play the game. 

Obvs it would now need to be Guehi in for Maguire, but this is still our best chance imo. Swap Shaw in for TAA when we need to be more solid. 

16 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

I like how the discussion in this forum is all around the attacking midfielders options (which are decent enough picks and can understand them).

From the outside of UK and looking at the squad that doesn't look at all as a defense which can win the tournament, CB and LB seem really poor at the moment, curious how they get on...

We've got the greatest goalkeeper in the history of football. We could play with no defenders at all and win the tournament if we wanted.

18 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Thoughts on tonight's game? I'm looking at it optimistically as a genuine audition for Wharton and Mainoo to stake a claim for the third central midfield spot.

Give Mainoo a chance please. 

Won't happen for NT because there's just not enough time, but TAA has all the right attributes for deep playmaker role in the middle.

Will be interesting to see if Slot tries to implement it the next season.

I really like the look of Mainoo, but at the same time I can't get over the number of shots United concede and think "he's playing in an area that's supposed to help negate that".

I know United fans see him more as an 8 long term, but that's not what we need this tournament - we need someone to sit. If not, we might as well play Foden in midfield.

9 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I really like the look of Mainoo, but at the same time I can't get over the number of shots United concede and think "he's playing in an area that's supposed to help negate that".

I know United fans see him more as an 8 long term, but that's not what we need this tournament - we need someone to sit. If not, we might as well play Foden in midfield.

Don't think our shots against numbers were anything to do with Mainoo, but he is more of a 8.

We were basically playing a high press and a low block at the same time. Mostly due to the fact non of our defenders have any pace.

Mainoo was either the last man of the press or had Casemiro behind him, so was really the last man of the press.

Surprised with Grealish not being picked and I think it shows Foden will be playing from the left.

I'll be surprised if Eze, Bowen or Gordon get a full 90 minutes between them.

12 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Rob is way more concerned about no Henderson than our defence, experience, grit & passion wins tournaments 

Balanced teams that can hold on to the ball win tournaments.  I didn't think I would be the last person in England lobbying for Henderson.  We shouldn't need him.  But we're putting a load of faith in TAA/Gallagher who haven't yet performed well in that third midfield role, or in Mainoo/Wharton who have barely played at all.  But if one of them steps up... we're fine.

57 minutes ago, Bootador said:

He generally hasn't been playing in that area though, he's been pushed ahead of the ball by ETH (with an ageing Casemiro behind him, not Rice - shots per game was lower when it was just Mainoo holding IIRC...). I think his defending has room for improvement, but his anticipation and willingness to get stuck in isn't bad at all, especially considering how many people wanted England to play with just Rice and attacking mids who do all their best stuff in the final third

No doubt that Gallagher will break up play more, but that goes for both teams :D 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I don't rate Gallagher period tbh

Yeah, I'd rather we do pretty much anything other than play Gallagher. Even if that means playing TAA there, one of the young guys, or Foden / Bellingham deeper and stick Eze / Gordon out wide on the left.

Gallagher's not ideal, but may just be the workhorse needed so the others can do the fancy stuff. He covers more ground than most, I get tired just from watching him. 

Not the most technical of players, but sometimes players like him in the team bring a balance that a more talented player can't. 

I don't mind him. Think he definitely brings an energy to that midfield, and it looks like has a decent understanding with Rice. 

15 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yeah. Saka is nailed on to start if fit. Been England's best wide player by some distance. Lets definitely drop him for Gordon. Ffs

It’s not dropping him for Gordon. Was more I can see it eventually being between him and Foden for RW as we settle into the tournament swing. 

Can count on one hand amount of times Foden and Saka have started games LW and RW, despite both being clearly best players we have in attacking positions since 2020/21. 

7 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

It’s not dropping him for Gordon. Was more I can see it eventually being between him and Foden for RW as we settle into the tournament swing. 

Can count on one hand amount of times Foden and Saka have started games LW and RW, despite both being clearly best players we have in attacking positions since 2020/21. 

Foden is almost certainly going to be on the left because there's no Rashford. 

Posted (edited)

Be a bit worried if we were relying on Mainoo to start based on what I've seen of him to be honest. Doesn't feel like he's anywhere near involved in games enough to play a pretty important midfield role on the big stage for England yet. Perhaps Man U fans will tell me I'm wrong, but a quick look at the data would tend to back me up.

It's a shame we don't have someone who can play the holding role to release Rice into a box-to-box role tbh. 

Edited by Smallen

Going to presume its Palmer v Gordon on who makes the starting side next weekend as can't imagine Saka goes straight into the team now.

Saka 

12 minutes ago, VP. said:

Going to presume its Palmer v Gordon on who makes the starting side next weekend as can't imagine Saka goes straight into the team now.

Saka's is an injury precaution. Think he'll get some minutes if possible 

Loving the new wave of positivity in here, but remember tonight is a night tinged with sadness. The last game on Channel 4, with their weird crossover content and their fondness for booking Dion Dublin.

From September it is back to ITV, with Pougatch pushing you to enter their competition and then dressing up his own long-winded opinion as a question.