Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

goodness, get those out of the way before the real deal please Harry.

Mainoo is struggling to cover when Rice presses. Dunno if he’s just slow to spot danger but he walks/jogs around a bit much out of possession.

22 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

I really like Mainoo but I’ve seen enough now to know I prefer Wharton in there 

Yeah Mainoo has more flair but Wharton would be like Owen Hargreaves was in 2006, the previously unfancied player who ends up holding everything together and pulling the strings.

Danger with Wharton, my Blackburn-supporting friend pointed out this morning is consistency, so not sure we can read too much into how he'll run the game from his impressive cameo against a **** poor Bosnia.

Just now, Darren Moores Mum said:

Gordon been very good apart from that ***** finish earlier.

Yes he’s an outlet. Would like a slightly better end product but that’s no different to all the others 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Danger with Wharton, my Blackburn-supporting friend pointed out this morning is consistency, so not sure we can read too much into how he'll run the game from his impressive cameo against a **** poor Bosnia.

the + he has over Mainoo imo is that he’s left-footed, which is a major benefit when your entire left side is right-footed. 

Two of our best opportunities came from Palmer drifting over there and overlapping to make a cross. Trippier and Gordon can’t play (good) first time crosses from that side.

Edited by Smallen

Just now, Smallen said:

the + he has over Mainoo imo is that he’s left-footed, which is a major benefit when your entire left side is right-footed. 

Two of our best opportunities came from Palmer drifting over there and overlapping to make a cross.

I think we're pinning our hopes on having a left footed left side on Shaw recovering at the moment :( 

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

I think we're pinning our hopes on having a left footed left side on Shaw recovering at the moment :( 

Yeah the whole left side feels broken atm

Hmm. Iceland are a good test with how well and deep they're defending en masse, but barring a handful of exceptions, our final pass has been really poor.

We really need Shaw to get fit because Trippier is pointless on the left. Gordon has been an outlet but has to improve his delivery and should have done better with his chance. Foden is a bit of a non-event so far and Kane is fairly anonymous apart from the chance he missed.

Guehi has been a positive.

10 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

When was the last time Foden put in a quality performance for England?

Nation’s League game against Iceland four years ago. He had some decent performances in Qatar too, but overall his England career has been underwhelming so far.

1 minute ago, metal_guitarist said:

And this is why Utd players should stick two fingers up at England and not bother. Game’s not even finished ffs, guess we’ve got our new scapegoat-

Well you wouldn't want to criticise the defender who got beaten or the keeper that conceded a daisy cutter at his near post, would you

2 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

And this is why Utd players should stick two fingers up at England and not bother. Game’s not even finished ffs, guess we’ve got our new scapegoat-

well… he’s not been good tbh. 

6 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

So they shouldn't play for England because they might get criticism? Not sure I really understand your point?

Tonight was an opportunity for Mainoo to really stake his claim and he's not done that, he's not the only one that's been poor but he certainly shouldn't be exempt from criticism when he's had people kissing his arse for the last few weeks/months.

4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

So they shouldn't play for England because they might get criticism? Not sure I really understand your point?

Utd players get targeted by the media far more disproportionately when playing for England compared to players from other clubs. Mainoo’s not having a good game, but writing a hit piece before halftime of a game to blame a goal on him when other players were more at fault is pathetic.