Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

2 minutes ago, TheWednesday said:

Tonight was an opportunity for Mainoo to really stake his claim and he's not done that, he's not the only one that's been poor but he certainly shouldn't be exempt from criticism when he's had people kissing his arse for the last few weeks/months.

One thing to fairly criticise him for being (like a few others) pretty average all game, another to come up with the ludicrous take that the real fault with Stones and Ramsdale being far too easily beaten was Mainoo not being there to bail them out. Even Rob doesn't want Hendo in the side that much...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iceland have had two massive chances really. Not worth panicking about a friendly as the intensity and desperation just isn't there, but this really isn't good.

7 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Why is Eidur Gudjohnson’s son also called Gudjohnson? Shouldn’t it be Eidurson?

I think some people use a family name. In this case, it's Gudjohnsen but if his name was Eidur Gudjohnsson instead, his son would have been Eidursson.

He's at fault for the goal as much as Stones is for me.

He lets the player in behind him and he's slow to react to the ball past him. If we wanna play "let's not criticise England because it'll break there morale" then fine, but he's at fault for the goal.

(who gaf about Ramsdale, won't play anyway... while Stones... well we don't have a choice do we)

Just now, Pukey said:

Iceland have had two massive chances really. Not worth panicking about a friendly as the intensity and desperation just isn't there, but this really isn't good.

Only watched the second half but nobody wants to get injured.

That said Iceland are a poor team and England should be winning even in second gear

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Ramsdale second choice when he hasn't played all season is mad

Southgate doesn't often kneejerk but I get the feeling second choice may now be Henderson...

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

yeah, we gifted them the first and have missed several, but no idea how they haven't scored a second by now

The lack of protection has been a big issue tonight. Rice has ventured too far forward too frequently, and if he doesn't have a midfield partner that can be in position to fill in when he does then this is what will happen.

Posted (edited)

I'm out so not watching, but I really hope we lose tonight. 

It'll be just the kick in the nuts to ensure everyone's focused and not complacent come the real match. 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Posted (edited)

not liked how easy our midfield has been bypassed in transition at all. One pass and they’re in, and it’s happened 3 or 4 times at least. Midfield structure has been all wrong.

Think the telegraph might be right for a change.

Edited by Smallen

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I'm out so not watching, but I really hope we lose tonight. It'll be just the kick in the nuts to ensure everyone's focused and not complacent come the real match. 

England 0-1 Iceland 

Keep them on their toes. All part of Gareth’s master plan.

2 minutes ago, Smallen said:

not liked how easy our midfield has been bypassed in transition at all. One pass and they’re in, and it’s happened 3 or 4 times at least. Midfield structure has been all wrong.

Think the telegraph might be right for a change.

You can see why Southgate really liked Rice/Phillips as a pair in the last Euros. Looked a lot more secure and it was so much more difficult to bypass.

(No, this is not me suggesting Phillips should have been called up before anyone says, I'm not that insane ffs)

Just now, Pukey said:

You can see why Southgate really liked Rice/Phillips as a pair in the last Euros. Looked a lot more secure and it was so much more difficult to bypass.

(No, this is not me suggesting Phillips should have been called up before anyone says, I'm not that insane ffs)

Rice also doesn’t really play as a 6 at club level anymore, and you can tell in his play because he’s pressing much higher than he ever used to for England. If he’s going to play like that then we need someone more defensively aware next to him.

Just now, Smallen said:

Rice also doesn’t really play as a 6 at club level anymore, and you can tell in his play because he’s pressing much higher than he ever used to for England. If he’s going to play like that then we need someone more defensively aware next to him.

Problem is, he's the most defensively aware midfielder in the squad, and it's not like the more defensive options we left at home are good players...

1 minute ago, Shambolic said:

With the attacking talent we have, how are we so blunt going forward?

Because we’ve got about six players out there that have barely played together before.

The best individual players don’t necessarily make the best team. Who knew.

The thing that surprises me is that some people seem shocked still that were **** under Southgate and its like have you been living under a rock or something? We did well at a tournament or two by 1-0's and set pieces and being solid if not anything else but we were never blowing anyone away or playing them off the park. This is the standard Southgate performance.

4 minutes ago, Shambolic said:

With the attacking talent we have, how are we so blunt going forward?

When facing low blocks, it really needs good attacking coaching for patterns, players being disciplined and not stepping on each other toes. Had it far too much this game, players on top of each other, stagnated etc.

Alright when it’s an open game for individual talent to show. 

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I'm very biased but there's no way you can tell me England can't work around Trent's disadvantages. He's too good not to fit into the team, whether that's at fullback or CM.

Can't understand why he hasn't been tried at left back, considering Trippier is horrible there and Trent can clearly invert and play his long passes and probably cross better from that angle than Trippier. 

Cameo today isn't great, mind you.

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I'm very biased but there's no way you can tell me England can't work around Trent's disadvantages. He's too good not to fit into the team, whether that's at fullback or CM.

And right on cue his shot/cross ends up closer to the halfway line than the goal. Commentators curse :lol:

4 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Tbf think there is a strong chance he starts in midfield at Euros

we now have a side out which is full of ball-to-feet players and we’ve lost any threat we had. We’ll always need a Rashford/Sterling/Gordon who will run in behind.

3 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

When facing low blocks, it really needs good attacking coaching for patterns, players being disciplined and not stepping on each other toes. Had it far too much this game, players on top of each other, stagnated etc.

Alright when it’s an open game for individual talent to show. 

Playing at walking pace doesn’t help either. 

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Tbf think there is a strong chance he starts in midfield at Euros

Would be peak Gareth to spend all these years telling us Foden can’t play in midfield to then start Trent in midfield at a tournament. 

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

How many of these type of performances has Southgate given packed Wembley crowds at this point? 

At this point it's the crowds fault for still going :D