Game 5: Poland vs Netherlands from the Volksparkstadion, live on BBC1 2pm

What will be the result?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

• Poland win
    • Draw
    • Netherlands win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/06/24 at 12:59

euro_24_-_2_players_h2h_-_facebook_8_.jp

Possible line-ups

Poland: Szczęsny; Bednarek, Dawidowicz, Kiwior; Frankowski, Slisz, Piotrowski, Moder, Zalewski; Zieliński; Buksa

Netherlands: Verbruggen; Dumfries, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Aké; Reijnders, Schouten, Veerman; Simons, Depay, Gakpo

A matchup that meant England missed out on the World Cup in 1994

Poland are always bad in major tournaments, looks like a weak Netherlands team to me, not expecting much from this one.

Mark Chapman presents coverage of the Group D match from Volksparkstadion Hamburg. With commentary by

image.png.363f1ffefe70a6c0a4c67e0513f3ad88.png and image.png.134977588d73ccfd38c925256fc9a413.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Poland: Szczęsny; Bednarek, Dawidowicz, Kiwior; Frankowski, Slisz, Piotrowski, Moder, Zalewski; Zieliński; Buksa

Dawidowicz is out with a pulled hamstring and I've got good reasons to believe that we're going to start with two strikers. Piotrowski most likely to be benched.

And yeah, we're **** and likely to get beaten badly, but somehow I think the Netherlands will flop. I say it's a draw.

Draw incoming. The first borefest after all the high-scoring games we’ve had so far. Nobody taking too many risks when they still both have France to play. So set to avoid defeat, take a point, then back themselves to go and beat Austria. Probably suits both sides.

To be clear, I think Netherlands have got more than enough quality to go deep this year. Just don’t expect a very open game today in the context of the group and the order of the games.

The german police had to wound a guy who was wielding an axe (or pickaxe, details aren't clear yet) on the Reeperbahn. No news about victims (if any) yet. 

edit: Sounds like he wasn't targetting anyone specific and was the only one hurt in the incident. Police shot him in the leg. Just a mad person basically.

Edited by DJ

Are Poland still terrible to watch? 

They always seem to qualify, but always so defensive and rigid whenever I see them at a tournament. 

3 minutes ago, DJ said:

The german police had to wound a guy who was wielding an axe (or pickaxe, details aren't clear yet) on the Reeperbahn. No news about victims (if any) yet. 

Oh no :(

15 minutes ago, DJ said:

edit: Sounds like he wasn't targetting anyone specific and was the only one hurt in the incident. Police shot him in the leg. Just a mad person basically.

Could have been a lot worse potentially

image.png.06bba2e8b3ab7bf9c48a8d246e111851.png

Zalewski should be on the left, with Zielinski behind strikers.

Last friendly Netherlands played somewhat of a hybrid formation, like Italy last night. Dumfries was effectively the right winger, with Ake shifting to third CB role.

Part of me hoped for the Geertruida-Frimpong combo on the right wing, which seemed to work very well. Dumfries playing makes a lot of sense with his track record for the Dutch. Simons on the right wing just doesn't seem to work unfortunately, maybe would've preferred Malen there.

Lewandowski is obviously a big miss for Poland, even if he barely shows up at tournaments. Reckon this is shaping up to be another miserable campaign for the Poles, starting with an easy Dutch win.

Now... Tijjani Reijnders. Any chance his parents named him after CM4 legend Tijjani Babangida? :D

3 minutes ago, Selwink said:

Part of me hoped for the Geertruida-Frimpong combo on the right wing, which seemed to work very well. Dumfries playing makes a lot of sense with his track record for the Dutch. Simons on the right wing just doesn't seem to work unfortunately, maybe would've preferred Malen there.

Based on his season and on the fact he finally scored a goal, a lot of people think Xavi Simons should play. Me, I'm not so sure and would have preferred Malen as well. Oh well, Koeman can always sub. We have a good bench. 

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Lewandowski is obviously a big miss for Poland, even if he barely shows up at tournaments. Reckon this is shaping up to be another miserable campaign for the Poles, starting with an easy Dutch win.

Now... Tijjani Reijnders. Any chance his parents named him after CM4 legend Tijjani Babangida? :D

He was in fact named after Babangida :D

Just now, DJ said:

Based on his season and on the fact he finally scored a goal, a lot of people think Xavi Simons should play. Me, I'm not so sure and would have preferred Malen as well. Oh well, Koeman can always sub. We have a good bench. 

Simons did have a great season, but apart from his goal last game he was very unimpressive I think. Would like to see how he performs as left winger, although Gakpo seems to have a lot of credit there so unlikely to happen anytime soon

NT Simons and club Simons are two different players as it stands. :D

Not the only Dutch player with that issue though. Considering he's played RW a bunch for Leipzig this season and played well the position shouldn't really be the issue.

Dutch should win this easily enough but I don't rate them overall, even though they tend to go deep in every tournament (apart from they get dumped out in qualification...)

FFS.  The BBC coverage have gone with Moyes & Murphy as the studio pundits, and the idiot that is Martin Keown as co-commentator.  It's a round up of all the dullards for this one.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

Really poor defending. Dumfries and Van Dijk just allowing him a free run and header.

Dumfries was near post man, Buksa went behind his back and in front of VVD. 

Perfect delivery for it to drop just after it goes over Dumfries and before VVD gets it.

Commence big tournament Woj.

What a miss by Iverson...I mean Depay.