Game 12: Portugal vs Czechia live from the Leipzig Stadium. BBC1 8pm

What will be the result?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/24 at 18:59

euro_24_-_2_players_h2h_-_facebook_7_.jp

Possible line-ups

Portugal: Diogo Costa; Cancelo, Pepe, Rúben Dias, Nuno Mendes; Palhinha, Vitinha, Bruno Fernandes; Rafael Leão, Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva

Czechia: Staněk; Holeš, Hranáč, Krejčí; Coufal, Souček, Provod, Barák, David Jurásek; Kuchta, Schick

Who can forget this classic from Euro 96

On paper Portugal look like they should be right up there. Czechia look a bit short on quality to me.

Portugal are big favourites to win this one, coming out on top in 66.2% of the Opta supercomputer's pre-game simulations. That leaves Czech Republic with a 33.8% chance of taking something from the game; they won just 15.9% of the supercomputer's sims.

Gary Lineker presents, with commentary by

image.png.20a3a3e986b0295ba777e627c9f53abe.png

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Portugal: Diogo Costa; Cancelo, Pepe, Rúben Dias, Nuno Mendes; Palhinha, Vitinha, Bruno Fernandes; Rafael Leão, Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva

Might be this or Dalot on the right and Cancelo on the left. 

I trust us to get out of the group and navigate these matches fairly well, if perhaps conceding a couple. What I'm worried about is against the big sides later...

Ronaldo plays a record sixth Euros.  Getting a bit boring now, even Portugal fans must be getting sick of him.

And remember when the tributes start that Lothar Matthäus can match him for longevity, even if not for overall number of games/tournaments.  Matthäus played at the Euros in 1980 and was still going strong at Euro 2000.  So the same 20-year gap between first and last tournaments, albeit he wasn't in the Germany squad in '92 or '96.

is that Pepe's 5th Euros? I think he didn't play international games until after Euro 2004

probably still got positional sense but would be interesting trying to see him looking to catch the faster players in the bigger opposing teams with him in his 40s

Just now, TM said:

is that Pepe's 5th Euros? I think he didn't play international games until after Euro 2004

Yeah, Pepe and Modric playing in their fifth this time, Ronaldo in his sixth.

Portugal might be stacked in a lot of places but they aren't winning the tournament with a 39yo Ronaldo and a 41 yo Pepe. Few players past their best like Cancelo too. Saying that they probably win this match but I've gone a bit left field and said score draw.

20 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Portugal might be stacked in a lot of places but they aren't winning the tournament with a 39yo Ronaldo and a 41 yo Pepe. Few players past their best like Cancelo too. Saying that they probably win this match but I've gone a bit left field and said score draw.

I've not actually predicted in one of the polls yet, but I'm joining you on a draw. Feels very Portugal to draw a game like this and get through the group looking a bit meh before they improve in the knockouts.

14 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Kicker makes a weird 3-4-3 out of it with Mendes as one of the CDs. Not sure what the thought is here. :D

As long as General Kepler Laveran de Lima Ferreira is playing, there's no need to worry about defense. :cool:

Some exciting young talents in this Portugal team... and a 41-year-old at the back. :lol:

Going for Czechia to take a surprise early lead, but Portugal to fight back and win 3-1. Ronaldo will score. Ronaldo always scores.

Of course the Tories choose now to make an election broadcast. As much as I want to see Portugal get embarrassed by Czechia I'm not sitting through that, I'll come back closer to kick-off.

Edited by Heartwork

Apparently, Frank Lampard is on the punditry team too. I bet he has had some interesting political discussions with Gary. :D

But no, seriously, tonight's line-up isn't great. Shearer and Fabregas in the studio as well, and Sunshine Danny Murphy on co-comms.

32 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Kicker makes a weird 3-4-3 out of it with Mendes as one of the CDs. Not sure what the thought is here. :D

image.png.11fcf4328d5d6524d82986c437dca143.png

That's exactly what it is. Nuno Mendes has played this role before for Sporting as a kind of overlapping CB.

Very attacking and I kind of get it for a match we're favourites, but I'd have liked a bit more balance with Palhinha in midfield

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Not sure about that Portugal starting 11 in terms of their shape. 

Thought Goncalo Ramos would start for them. 

Ronaldo looked surprisingly sharp in the final friendly v Ireland and Ramos looked out of form in the other friendlies. Plus with Ronaldo scoring so many in qualifying and his status, no way he'd be benched 

Portugals bench is good. Be interesting to see what they’re like under Martinez, because if they’re attacking, there’s options there to keep it fresh and shut up shop too. 

Only side I fear from an English perspective.

2 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Portugals bench is good. Be interesting to see what they’re like under Martinez, because if they’re attacking, there’s options there to keep it fresh and shut up shop too. 

Only side I fear from an English perspective.

They lost in Lisbon to Croatia and it should've been more convincing if we talk scoreline.

Defense looked completely out of sorts. Usual Martinez stuff.

15 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Intrigued to see whether Bobby Martinez can join Deschamps and Southgate in holding his side back. 

Another dull 1-0 incoming.

48 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Oh I forgot Bobby Martinez was in charge too, add this to the reasons why they won't win. Failing upwards.

I think Martinez is unfairly castigated in general but this is their one shot at winning while there is still some defensive nous from the previous manager whereas 2 years on they'll concede for fun.

C'mon, football gods. This is one of the last chances for karma. Make that 41 year old pay for all his crimes. I don't care how. 

15 minutes ago, Smallen said:

a shot every time the comms mention Pepe or Ronaldo’s age, who’s up for it?

And a shot every time camera catches Ronaldo looking at himself on the big screen.

Edited by TalkSport

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Is Joao Neves not a regular on the side yet @noikeee? Thought he’d be in there instead of Vitinha. 

He is fantastic but there's just too many good players, so no. Vitinha on current form is near undroppable.

You'll see him coming off the bench regularly.

Edited by noikeee