FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

I think that how they advertise their product is their problem, not our problem. We are customers, so it's their job to convince us to buy the game.

For what is worth, I personally will wait for opinions and reviews about 25.3 (or whatever will be named last patch) before to decide if it's worth buying the game or not. So far, I have the impression that I will not buy it, no problem at all since I'm playing CK3 and HOI4 and next year will be released CIV7 and likely EU5. 

Life is short and there a lot of great things besides gaming, I will waste my money and time on FM25 only if it worth it. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Harima83 said:

I'm worried about the new 3D engine. No reason at all for not showing it, unless it is less good than expected. I hope to be wrong.

I guess they're still working on it and want to show it at its best.

Overall it's clear they're giving themselves some flexibility. Can see that from the lack of 2-week beta confirmation, the "from Nov 26" etc etc.

Hopefully they can pull it all together over the next couple of months.

Terrible announcement and video I’ve gotta say. Roadmap? Unlock - tba? Why the big tease and hiding stuff that can at this late stage be shown now while also asking people to pre order? I hope no one does tbh - You’d have to be as daft as Triggers brush to pre order anything without actually seeing the product. 

Anyway, this place will go into meltdown when the ME reveal on this exciting roadmap is that here is no ME because they can see that 98% of player’s only play on key highlights so they think people don’t use it so they’ve taken that out too*

*Im joking calm down 

We are left to assume there is no mention of early access as the game is not ready to be seen publicly and there are not confident they can announce a date and stick to it.

I suspect they've bitten off more than they can chew and this will be a painful, albeit a much needed transition.

40 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Someone on here pointed out that all the player profiles we have seen are mock ups. Eg have the wrong positions and heights etc. They are just a mishmash of bits stitched together, so they are filled with inaccuracies and it's why the UI looks so odd. Its not great that they don't even have player profiles fixed yet so close to release 

No doubt about that, but the fact somebody at SI has still approved 6 foot 2 Kirby world beater as an official promotion of the game is a worrying sign. It is right there on the steam Fm25 page.

3 ore fa, jdubsnz ha scritto:

I genuinely don’t understand those that are upset about the women’s game being a big announcement. It is big - I went to the women’s World Cup in New Zealand and the crowds were massive, men, women, boys and girls all getting into it. The WSL is breaking attendance records all the time (over 60,000 attending) - it’s a part of the game that is gathering momentum and SI have made the right call to reflect what is going on in the real football world. It’s an opportunity to bring more girls and women into the FM family and that’s a good thing. As an example, my 9 year old daughter is getting into gaming and she can now have a go at trying to get Arsenal to win the WSL. It’s an opportunity for me to do a save with a women’s team to learn more about the players and leagues. That’s a cool thing and exciting for a lot of people. It might not push everyone’s button but it will for a lot of people. Stating that most people aren’t bothered is a pretty blinkered outlook

Nobody is saying that it’s a bad introduction. Just saying that, especially during big transitions, you need to PRIORITIZE some things. They cleary could not handle women football in this edition. Why forcing it? Again, it’s a positive introdution, but I cannot see fans making it a priority over having a complete game a the beginning of November and not one month later, or over having well done international management.

Although I am very disappointed with the announcement (nothing revealed, the trailer is more a teaser, we know nothing about the "revolutioned" core of the game...), I am starting to understand why they approach is this.

They are artificially creating the hype around the game.

I expand my reasoning: now-a-day, what counts in terms of marketing, are interactions: every time you click on a post/website you are having an interaction with it. No matters the quality of the interaction (you can click and close right after, or go deeply in the contents of the page...), what is important is to "have" interactions. By not giving you a specific date in the roadmap, they are "forcing" us to follow them, in order to see whether there are any news concerning what they are publishing. Each time we click on the website (or on the X posts of Miles) we are having an interraction with SI. Quantity over quality (which, until a certain extent, is totally acceptable).

That said, I hate those kind of things (I am more "old school", i.e. "give me something real, not those kind of bul****t"), but this is how our occidental world works today and this is what they are trying to achieve. 

Concerning the game, we know almost nothing. Most of us suppose that there will be a new ME, but we don'tknow about it. We only know that (luckily) attributes will be the same as in previous versions of FM, that's it.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I worried about the current state of the game? Yes, because if you have something great to show you would have shown it (at least a very small part of it). We can aonly suspend the judgment until further news...

Edited by Costav

1 hour ago, trevjim said:

Someone on here pointed out that all the player profiles we have seen are mock ups. Eg have the wrong positions and heights etc. They are just a mishmash of bits stitched together, so they are filled with inaccuracies and it's why the UI looks so odd. Its not great that they don't even have player profiles fixed yet so close to release 

It's far more likely they've been released that way to hide the player's actual ratings prior to the game being publically available. 

4 minuti fa, Brentford Alan ha scritto:

It's far more likely they've been released that way to hide the player's actual ratings prior to the game being publically available. 

It might be true, although it seems a bit exaggerated (what’s the harm in revealing them earlier?)

They still remain poorly made mock-ups, where not only is the information wrong, but there’s no consistency in the attribute colors either (a 14 is grey, a 9 is green, and another 9 is yellow..?)

The impression is that they were done hastily just to show SOMETHING, anything. Of the five screenshots on the Steam page, three are just pictures of the 'fake' UI, basically the same mock-up with some modifications.

Add to that the trailer, which is just fluff that reveals absolutely nothing about the game, and frankly, all this mystery doesn’t generate any hype in me, as a longtime fan, let alone in potential new players.

Instead, the impression I’m getting is that the game’s production is still far from complete just a few months from release, and I’m very, very concerned.

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

There's nothing out there to judge yet.

This is my view too. There is nothing to know about the game yet. I don't think I would have announced the game in this way with this little info, but there is no basis in saying the game is this or that. Saying the info is missing is a valid criticism in my view, but just about anything else is just guessing.

5 minutes ago, anagain said:

I don't think I'll ever understand this community. Years spent moaning about the game, asking for SI to shake things up and asking for better graphics.

SI do all this. They spend a year plus switching to a new engine and doing all the hard work that goes with doing just that.

A trailer and release date is released and a bunch of never happy people descend on social media to complain.

SI will never win with some people.

It saddens me. There's nothing out there to judge yet. Some of the rubbish I've seen on twitter and reddit just has me baffled.

I'm personally going in to FM25 with optimism - I had a moment last night where I realised I was genuinely excited to see FM25 - but I'll keep a sense of realistic trepidation. A huge move like this doesn't come without risk.

But why can't people just be thankful for the effort that has been put into giving this game a fresh new identity? Unless I'm just old. :kriss:

Agreed. Perhaps our old age has given us a little more patience :kriss:

1 minute ago, XaW said:

This is my view too. There is nothing to know about the game yet. I don't think I would have announced the game in this way with this little info, but there is no basis in saying the game is this or that. Saying the info is missing is a valid criticism in my view, but just about anything else is just guessing.

I mean, we know SOME things about the game. We already know some things that will not be in there, and the stated rational for that. We know some things that will be in there. And, in all fairness, the discussion has been centred around what we know and **** poor comms, that we also know. There is indeed some speculation, but largely centred on the state of development, not the game itself (full circle back to the **** poor comms).

Personally I think it is possible that SI are playing 4D chess.

With so many people watching on expecting a train wreck, the game will drop and it will be shock everyone by being superb.

The forums will become a desert because everyone will be eating their words and/or too busy playing the game.

It is possible...

1 minuto fa, Kickballz ha scritto:

Personally I think it is possible that SI are playing 4D chess.

With so many people watching on expecting a train wreck, the game will drop and it will be shock everyone by being superb.

The forums will become a desert because everyone will be eating their words and/or too busy playing the game.

It is possible...

Surely possible, but honestly there are some very concrete signs that it’s gonna be rough this year

2 minutes ago, jmlima said:

I mean, we know SOME things about the game. We already know some things that will not be in there, and the stated rational for that. We know some things that will be in there. And, in all fairness, the discussion has been centred around what we know and **** poor comms, that we also know. There is indeed some speculation, but largely centred on the state of development, not the game itself (full circle back to the **** poor comms).

Yes, you know what is NOT in there, but we don't know if the 3D looks good or not. We don't know if the match engine is improved or not. We don't know how the UI works. We don't know if the squad management is improved. We don't know anything about _what is in the game or how well it works_. This is the crux of the issue for me, as I would like to know, but it also means we cannot judge the quality of the game yet.

Also, and this is the mod talking not just my personal view as above, leave the words that create the asterix out from now on please, this is a forum for all ages so watch the language.

12 minuti fa, anagain ha scritto:

There's nothing out there to judge yet.

I understand what you mean.
The problem is not that there's nothing out there to judge yet.
It's precisely that there’s STILL nothing to judge just a few months before release.

This is a 'trailer' released alongside the option to pre-order the game... and it shows NOTHING about the game itself.

I'm not sure if that can be considered 'normal.'

It's like asking the consumer to buy blindly.

34 minutes ago, Brentford Alan said:

But they have never done that before? Plus there are things like heights and positions that were incorrect

35 minutes ago, Costav said:

Most of us suppose that there will be a new ME, but we don'tknow about it. We only know that (luckily) attributes will be the same as in previous versions of FM

Of all the things that have been released/commented/inferred/speculated, objectively given that things are what they are (Works in Progress) I wouldn't assume that attributes would not be amended ;) 

10 minutes ago, Muja said:

It might be true, although it seems a bit exaggerated (what’s the harm in revealing them earlier?)

They still remain poorly made mock-ups, where not only is the information wrong, but there’s no consistency in the attribute colors either (a 14 is grey, a 9 is green, and another 9 is yellow..?)

The impression is that they were done hastily just to show SOMETHING, anything. Of the five screenshots on the Steam page, three are just pictures of the 'fake' UI, basically the same mock-up with some modifications.

Add to that the trailer, which is just fluff that reveals absolutely nothing about the game, and frankly, all this mystery doesn’t generate any hype in me, as a longtime fan, let alone in potential new players.

Instead, the impression I’m getting is that the game’s production is still far from complete just a few months from release, and I’m very, very concerned.

Probably no harm in revealing the attributes of one or two players, but I'm sure they've done the same previously (not that I'm going to go hunting that info :) ).

Of course production isn't complete 2 months away from release, if it was complete it'd be released early November as previously targeted according to Miles. Work goes in to it right up to the hours before release, this happens every year.

Of course they have to chase the console market, unfortunately in this economic system shareholders expect and demand economic growth every year.
And theres two or three ways for SI to do so: raise prices, add DLC or reach a broader audience and therefore sell more copies.

Same goes for women’s football (which I welcome and would certainly play it if I were to buy the game). It seems very naive and disingenuous to claim that SI are working on this for purely ethical reasons.

They aren't, it’s just business.

They've definitely studied the market, figured there are already some women playing FM and that that number may be raised by adding women's football to the game and consequently raising sales. Not to mention the amount of free publicity they’ll get from this. It’s way more groundbreaking and news worthy for a reporter to write about women’s football being added to the game than to write about how a football management simulator finally added with and without the ball positions.

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yes, you know what is NOT in there, but we don't know if the 3D looks good or not. We don't know if the match engine is improved or not. We don't know how the UI works. We don't know if the squad management is improved. We don't know anything about _what is in the game or how well it works_. This is the crux of the issue for me, as I would like to know, but it also means we cannot judge the quality of the game yet.

My criticism is of the marketing exactly because of what you've written here xaw.

The game might yet be brilliant but we wouldn't have a clue due to the absolutely awful marketing of it so far.

11 minutes ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

I'm not bothered about the womens game being in FM - to me it's no different to them adding, say, the Japan league... some will like it some won't but we don't have to play with them loaded.

For me it's how basic the game is starting to look - from what we've seen it looks like its tailored more to the console/mobile. I've always hated the base skin and used some superb community made ones for years. Why hasn't SI used one of these skinners and come up with something quite spectacular looking? 

Look at these skins from FM24 compared to the one we're getting in FM25

image.thumb.png.bc435fe1c1c3eb9b4e8f13109cb7f4f0.png

image.thumb.png.2c43b7aa72f0dfe75767fb7ad854215d.png

image.png.f42bf5f48fc4ae9802cb339fc62255ef.png

What they’ve done is horrendous. Year on year the base game loses more and more personality. 

Why they decided to go down this path 4 or 5 years ago is a mystery. Do they genuinely think bland, colourless, soulless screens are better to look at? Even for causals? 

We know nothing about the game, yes, but isn't it very, very safe to presume that with the same attributes for players, the ME is, at base, the same? 

Edited by Bahoi

56 minutes ago, anagain said:

I don't think I'll ever understand this community. Years spent moaning about the game, asking for SI to shake things up and asking for better graphics.

SI do all this. They spend a year plus switching to a new engine and doing all the hard work that goes with doing just that.

A trailer and release date is released and a bunch of never happy people descend on social media to complain.

SI will never win with some people.

It saddens me. There's nothing out there to judge yet. Some of the rubbish I've seen on twitter and reddit just has me baffled.

I'm personally going in to FM25 with optimism - I had a moment last night where I realised I was genuinely excited to see FM25 - but I'll keep a sense of realistic trepidation. A huge move like this doesn't come without risk.

But why can't people just be thankful for the effort that has been put into giving this game a fresh new identity? Unless I'm just old. :kriss:

And just think, you get the privilege of paying for it. Amazing.

10 hours ago, Wag said:

I’m on about the latest news article posted by FM Admin. IMG_1946.jpeg.7c6ccad0da06e857bd2d064756a26cf7.jpeg The FMFC link gives a 404 error.

Mine goes directly to my FMFC account. :larry:

Logged out and it's going again to registration or sign in page. I have tried with Chrome and Brave, no 404 error page.

Considering they are promoting women's football on Elon Musk's (closed for public) platform, it's no surprise that the roadmap contains neither roads nor maps :D

Jokes aside, they should be spending these final weeks purely testing (meaning they should have a release build ready to be screenshot and marketed), which is how large software projects are handled if things are going well... Which they never are.

Been there, done that. Looks like we will be getting their best effort and then probably several major patches to put out the fires. Hope I'm wrong, though, but a few weeks before a major release you usually have things to demo to the client, if things are going according to plan.

37 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

My criticism is of the marketing exactly because of what you've written here xaw.

The game might yet be brilliant but we wouldn't have a clue due to the absolutely awful marketing of it so far.

Yeah, as I said, that's a reasonable criticism in my view.

People already deciding the game is bad is what baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should pre-order or anything, I'm saying we don't know enough yet to make any sort of judgement of the game, marketing aside.

36 minutes ago, orlyzao said:

Of course they have to chase the console market, unfortunately in this economic system shareholders expect and demand economic growth every year.
And theres two or three ways for SI to do so: raise prices, add DLC or reach a broader audience and therefore sell more copies.

Same goes for women’s football (which I welcome and would certainly play it if I were to buy the game). It seems very naive and disingenuous to claim that SI are working on this for purely ethical reasons.

They aren't, it’s just business.

They've definitely studied the market, figured there are already some women playing FM and that that number may be raised by adding women's football to the game and consequently raising sales. Not to mention the amount of free publicity they’ll get from this. It’s way more groundbreaking and news worthy for a reporter to write about women’s football being added to the game than to write about how a football management simulator finally added with and without the ball positions.

Chasing the console market will never make sense for football manager.

Chasing a mobile market (for a mobile version), or switch yes, but the game is never going to play well on a traditional console when you are sitting on a coach straining to see screens full of information. It is a horrible gaming experience.

Also, Fm25 is 20gb download so full version on mobile is not a serious option. It surely has to remain a PC based game.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, as I said, that's a reasonable criticism in my view.

People already deciding the game is bad is what baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should pre-order or anything, I'm saying we don't know enough yet to make any sort of judgement of the game, marketing aside.

Based on the marketing campaign, there is nothing to campaign about, which is - I think - the issue people have. So far the biggest addition is women's football (which is really great, though from the game perspective, it means playing the game as usual but with a different database, at least that is my impression), and a shift to a new graphics engine, which they have been talking about for a long time now, but haven't showed anything about it. You really would expect them to be showcasing it left and right, considering how huge a change it is, and yet we have seen zero of it so far, which implies things aren't going well.

3 minuti fa, dosh ha scritto:

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

SI announced the "transition to a new engine" back in June 2023, even before the release of FM24. Despite the numerous bugs at the launch of FM24 and the lack of significant game feature updates in the major 24.2 and 24.3 patches, users had to tolerate this situation, likely because resources and personnel had been diverted to the FM25 project.

In this context, SI has already delayed the release date and new feature reveals for FM25, and even in the roadmap released yesterday, the dates for in-game information are still listed as "TBA."

After going through all this, is it really possible for users to feel "thankful" to the game company just because they are trying something new? Isn't SI the one that first let down the users who have been patient and waiting?

I don't get this thing that a VG company "owe" us something. We're not paying them prior to get the product. They don't need to apologies to us because we have to wait 20 days further on something we haven't bought yet. It's a game, it's not something we necessarily need for our lives. Are we really having a go at them because of 20 days of delay on something which is intended to occupy our free time? Seriously? I'd like to play it right now but hey, I'm gonna wait.

"I've been patient for too long, now gimme your game you owe it to me!!!". It makes laugh doesn't it :lol:

12 minuti fa, sc91 ha scritto:

As a general rule of thumb, any company that is openly advertising for pre-order but has nothing to show for it, and future plans are generally 'TBA,' are realising they've got a dud on their hands and looking for the earlier cash-in.

To be honest, this has happened like in every FM I remember. Complaints included. Nothing new under the sky, but yes a better marketing policy would benefit the community.

A lot of this reaction is unrealistic expectations on some peoples part. Look at the history of FM reveals, we've seen nothing in the trailer for years. That's not to say the reaction is unjust, the month delay and vague dates is probably making this worse. If this was the FM24 timeline, we would have seen something by now. 

Probably a misstep to not release a development update alongside the announcement, as that was my reading of the last update.

My feelings on the game, is that we will get a minimal viable product for release and the roadmap is used to bring online features through the FM25 cycle. Sadly the way of the world with Agile development, no one ships a completed product anymore.

Edited by mkstatto

1 hour ago, davehanson said:

So, whilst I agree in a way - I also completely disagree.

You say with one breath that there is nothing out there to judge yet - I agree, but then say they have shaken up a new engine and better graphics. How can you judge that? From my understanding there is no new match engine- unless I have misinterpreted things. We know naff all about graphics or gameplay as literally no videos or screenshots showing anything from the actual game are available.

The trailer released without showing anything of the game at all - and that is supposed to be positive and met with a positive response? I am not sure who's idea the trailer was, but it is so poor. Tell me do you honestly think it was a good trailer for FM?

I do understand not being able to show certain things from the game yet - still working on them and they have 8 weeks until release, but to not be able to show anything? Not even an accurate screenshot? That is worrying.

New graphics engine. The graphics engine and the match engine are two entirely seperate things. The matche engine has gotten better and better. I was never entirely unhappy with the graphics, but was never against change.

And I merely meant that this is what they've told us they're working on.

The trailer released without showing anything of the game at all

Welcome to following a game...

Why get upset that you haven't seen gameplay?

I don't care if the response is not overwhelmingly positive, but I seriously don't understand the hugely negative.

The modern generation want it all and they want it all yesterday...

3 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

Based on the marketing campaign, there is nothing to campaign about, which is - I think - the issue people have. So far the biggest addition is women's football (which is really great, though from the game perspective, it means playing the game as usual but with a different database, at least that is my impression), and a shift to a new graphics engine, which they have been talking about for a long time now, but haven't showed anything about it. You really would expect them to be showcasing it left and right, considering how huge a change it is, and yet we have seen zero of it so far, which implies things aren't going well.

But this is still guessing. I've seen a lot of people in here saying they will not buy the game because it will be horrible/bad/insert your own negative word. Now, it might be a bad game, but already deciding it is bad? No one can know anything about that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy it, or that they can't decide to not buy it now if they don't want to. Feel free, but deciding to not buy the game because you think it's bad when you don't know anything is what I don't get. People saying, "I think this will be bad and if it is, then I won't buy it" is a perfectly reasonable take, and I would encourage anyone to only buy stuff they actually want and/or need. I just think we know nearly enough to make that decision at the moment. For all we know, this could be a, in my view terrible, way of doing the marketing by holding back info until closer to release. Now I don't know why they would do so, but there is a lot of marketing decisions around the world that baffles me too, so who knows...