FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

I wonder how SI will communicate to the fanbase in the upcoming days. Personally I think it would be great to get an in-depth explanation if necessary of the technical issues leading to such a lengthy delay of the game. I have absolutely no idea what goes into the production of a game like FM, or any other game for that matter, and neither does 99% of this forum. I would just assume that it's a "game-breaking" issue, because the financial implications of a delay like this can be really damaging to a company. 

I do feel sorry for the developers working on the game, I really do. I do not feel sorry for the people in charge of the decision to open for preorders given that they must have known a delay was highly likely. It is quite frankly a shocking decision, and although SI is not obligated to explain why they did that, they should. 

I would assume a data update is likely to be dropped as the team working on that isnt necessarily affected by the issues causing the delay? 

Hopefully the delay can at least create room for a very extended beta release. If progress on the game is good, couldnt there possible be a beta period of a month or two? I would assume that mass testing is more crucial on this realase than ever before. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, SkyNoudyo said:

How about a few weeks ago when they opened up pre-orders, knowing the condition their game was in? It would be good if SI provided some clear communication regarding the state of development and why there have been this many long delays. People have a right to be disappointed and especially angry after that pre-order fiasco.

I can't answer that as I don't understand the intracacies of game development at this level (global) . I know only general software development but game dev is very different with different phase gates and different entities and contracts to satisfy. 

SI have been quite forthright with offering refunds so maybe we need to look beyond the obvious. 

Was there a certain phase gate in a contract that they had to meet by offering the game to the public by a certain date? 

We just don't know.  All I know is that people working on the game will be devastated and they need a community to support them and not overly criticise them. 

3 horas atrás, waraka14 disse:

Bruh comes out in May/June and makes the big announcement that weights have been removed because keeping it would hurt feelings. Maybe should have been paying attention to the disaster brewing. 

This is another example of their poor comuncation. If they just came out and outright said that they are removing the display of weights (because they are not being removed from the game) for 3 reasons: 1 - women's teams usually don't provide the weights of their players; 2- the majority of the weights that ARE already in the game are basically guesses and 3 - they don't matter at all in the game engine, no one would have had an issue

4 minutos atrás, RorysRocketThrow disse:

I can't answer that as I don't understand the intracacies of game development at this level (global) . I know only general software development but game dev is very different with different phase gates and different entities and contracts to satisfy. 

SI have been quite forthright with offering refunds so maybe we need to look beyond the obvious. 

Was there a certain phase gate in a contract that they had to meet by offering the game to the public by a certain date? 

We just don't know.  All I know is that people working on the game will be devastated and they need a community to support them and not overly criticise them. 

Of course that this is all guesswork, but I imagine that with the contract with Sega, the contracts with the licenses holders and contracts with distribuitors like Netflix and Apple, they might be required to release a game per fiscal year or per season. It's no surprise that they picked the end of the fiscal year for the game to be released, I imagine that it's the latest date that they can release, still have a positive money flow and keep in accordance with the various contracts that they have.

That might also be the reason with they might not release an update, if the language in those contracts says that they can only use the licenses (for examplo, UEFA and the J-League) for new game releases and updates for a certain period of time during a certain period.

I am fairly condifent on my first point, not so much on the second, by the way.

3 hours ago, Mobius said:

I wonder what was discovered, that a delay of a few weeks became a delay of a few months? To push a release back by a few weeks, then a few weeks later decide actually let's push it back months? But at the same time, manage to create a trailer, roadmap, and start pumping pre-orders

I think the more likely explanation is that devs on the ground have known it won't be ready for ship but the higher ups (whether it be Sega or SI) rejected any idea of a major delay and gave them a two week one as a compromise while removing some features. 

This is basically what happened with Cyberpunk, Cities Skylines 2 and GTA Definitive Edition, shareholders didn't want to wait.

Perhaps all the negativity online and by content creators gave them pause.

Edited by Dotsworthy

There are way too many comments to read through, so this may have already been mentioned.

My guess would be they're going to use the start of the NWSL season (which starts in March) as the main promotion of the game (assuming it does release in March). The women's leagues were already going to be a big part of the game, but now with the release being aligned with the start of the NWSL season it opens up some different promotional opportunities.

2 minutos atrás, Dotsworthy disse:

I think the more likely explanation is that Devs on the ground have known it won't be ready for ship but the higher ups (whether it be Sega or SI) ejected any idea of a major delay and gave them a two week one as an olive branch while removing some features. 

This is basically what happened with Cyberpunk, Cities Skylines 2 and GTA Definitive Edition, shareholders didn't want to wait.

Perhaps all the negativity online and by content creators gave them pause.

QA screaming that the game is not ready, developers knowing that the game is not ready and the higher ups acting like nothing is wrong is a tale as old as video games

And I totally see something like what you said there happening. Giving a slight delay to take a slight hit on PR, try to crunch as hell to get the game out and then seeing that it does not matter and the game is just not ready, and having to decide to either release a bad game and have that PR hit or delay and take that PR hit

Edited by Colossus

Many of you write about the game's release in March 2025, I wouldn't be so sure, but for me it may be further buying time to finally extend it, e.g. until September 2025. For now, they are examining the fans' mood and see that the fans generally agree to the games delay. What we can say for sure is that SI has a good match tactic playing with their customers 😉 I would even say: it's old good known "killer tactic" 😂

I don't doubt at all that the game is coming in March. The financial results of them going 18 months without releasing a game and posting a fiscal year without any big influx of money would be very bad.

Now, the state of the game? That is a whole other story

Edited by Colossus

3 hours ago, Mobius said:

I wonder what was discovered, that a delay of a few weeks became a delay of a few months? To push a release back by a few weeks, then a few weeks later decide actually let's push it back months? But at the same time, manage to create a trailer, roadmap, and start pumping pre-orders...

Tell you an anecdote of my own. We had a title ready for playesting. First playtester noted that, due to the fact that one (1) of the values in the entire database of thousands and thousands of numbers was set to realistic and accurate values, he could use a certain very core element in a totally gamey way and that would demolish the entire gameplay. First thought was, just change the value. You can see where this is going. Suddenly things left and right were becoming out of sync. Took us weeks to get the entire db balanced again and prevent that sole (but very fundamental) gamey tactic of being exploited.

TL;DR: Sometimes really unexpected crap happens at the last minute. Not saying it is the case, but been there, so can see how it can happen.

23 minutes ago, Colossus said:

I don't doubt at all that the game is coming in March. The financial results of them going 18 months without releasing a game and posting a fiscal year without any big influx of money would be very bad.

Now, the state of the game? That is a whole other story

Why would it be very bad? They’ve made a very tidy sum of money for many years now.

The move to Unity is a long term investment - they can take a hit. And the stakeholders will know and understand that. In the long term the projected growth is much bigger than a little blip now at the start of the project.

Edited by ForTheLoveOfTheGame

Agora, ForTheLoveOfTheGame disse:

Why would it be very bad? They’ve made a very tidy sum of money for many years now.

The move to Unity is a long term investment - they can take a hit. And the stakeholders will know and understand that. 

Because having a year with no income, basically, is pretty bad

5 minutes ago, jmlima said:

Tell you an anecdote of my own. We had a title ready for playesting. First playtester noted that, due to the fact that one (1) of the values in the entire database of thousands and thousands of numbers was set to realistic and accurate values, he could use a certain very core element in a totally gamey way and that would demolish the entire gameplay. First thought was, just change the value. You can see where this is going. Suddenly things left and right were becoming out of sync. Took us weeks to get the entire db balanced again and prevent that sole (but very fundamental) gamey tactic of being exploited.

TL;DR: Sometimes really unexpected crap happens at the last minute. Not saying it is the case, but been there, so can see how it can happen.

Yeah, I agree...It could be that they found a game-crashing issue during the closed-beta testing that they did not notice earlier. Sometimes it happens.

However I would not be surprised if there will be some "big changes" at the top of SI. Although isnot in my culture to look frenetically for a responsible and make his/her head fall, what happened with the roadmap, the preorders and the release date published is not a good thing for a professional company. They declared they have been worked on the game for years now, and having everything postponed by months (not only a couple of weeks) just few weeks before the release is something critical. Sometimes, when things like this happen, some will be forced to take responsibility.

On the other side, they need to cope with all kind of players entitled to say that the game did not progress in the last 6 years. C'mon guys, where have you been so far?
The game improved in a lot of areas since then. We have now a better ME, a better football environment as a whole. The 3D is not at the level of Fifa? Well...3D is not the core of this game. The core of the game is managing a football club.

The thing is that we are not used to wait and patience anymore. We want everything and now. We complain about everything and we feel entitled to ask for "explanations". I do believe SI needs to improve their communication (less "will be the most polished version..." and more "we are working hard to guarantee you the best game possible"). This does not mean that we must have some kind of explanation from them. 

If we are not happy, we don't buy the game. That's it.

They don't owe us anything specific but the respect for being a community that helped them to track and solve some of the issues the game had in the past years.

6 minutes ago, ForTheLoveOfTheGame said:

It’s not ideal for them to not release a game. But it’s not make or break. They will be fine regardless of whether FM25 comes out or not.

Please don't make assumptions like this unless you have access to their financial records.

2 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

It's frustrating but ultimately the decision has been taken to protect the quality of the end product and that has to be respected. 

I just don't understand the criticism of a company that will today, if not yesterday be feeling pretty low.   No software developer as an individual or as a team wants delays to their delivery, and certainly not delays that span 4 months or more. Trust me when I say this from experience, a lot of the SI staff will be on the floor professionally and having been there personally it isn't a good place to be.

Some of the posts I've read I think to be kind, need to be thought out a bit more before they're posted. 

SI were in a position of HOBSONS choice.  Changes have been requested for years, both to the UI and match engine and the company had to make this change eventually.  Sure, you could question why this wasn't done piece by piece in the background over many years but none of us know the codebase and how easy or hard it was to do. Platform changes are tricky to put it mildly and unexpected issues can crop up when you least expect them even against a backdrop of the best planning you've put in place.  Again, experience I have the battle wounds and T Shirt for. 😂

People just need to support SI here in the decision they've made to protect the quality of the product and ultimately our value for money.   If the product isn't right it isn't right. 

They've done the right thing and I'd like to reach out and offer a hand of comfort to all the devs and support staff at a time when they'll all be feeling it. 

Keep going guys, it'll be worth it! 

That's a nice sentiment, personally, I differ in mine entirely. To me, it's been managed, they were well aware of the move in engines and have failed to allocate resources as required. I have no idea why I would just need to support a company that appears intent on capturing a different market than I stand. The communication has been misleading so to suggest they have done the right thing appears wide of the mark also.

3 minutes ago, milenec11 said:

I wonder , is this topic monitoring by the SI ? And if yes what its opinion  after those comments and its position?!?!?!?!

SSSSSILENCE ….

You don't start a discussion with a lot of people that are hungry at you. coming here to say something more (not sure they are anyway allowed to do so, because when you are in a company you need to speak with one voice and now spreading each personal idea about for every employees) is a suicide. 

You will get 95% of insulting comments.

The maximum you can do is release an official statement saying your version.

5 minutes ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

I would have sympathy for this point, but based on the Unity video, what that video seems to have implied is that they have not changed the underlying architecture of how the game works, they created middleware for Unity to interact with the existing code base to make it work with the new GUI tools and elements. ...

I was not justifying, just trying to explain how last minute things can put a damper on an entire project. Which they can.

I have no way of knowing but, every indication we have so far points to something very, very odd having happened behind the scenes, and I don't mean odd as in 'bummer that bit of code needs more polishing' I mean odd as in 'what do you mean there's no functional game to release?'

Just now, mackem10 said:

95% of predictions (I've assumed this percentage) are assumed. What's the issue with assumptions?

That is just speculation and is likely to be false. Moreover, is not serious at all and does not add anything to the discussion.

C'mon, we are not kids anymore

1 minute ago, mackem10 said:

95% of predictions (I've assumed this percentage) are assumed. What's the issue with assumptions?

I'm assuming you are talking out your backside here, as 95% of all statistics online are just made up on the spot.

Cant help but think this delay has been coming a while and they've strategically taken out International management etc, so they can add it back in for FM26 as an easy 'new feature' as the development window will now be very short for FM26.

For me the weeks and months of waiting after growing bored with FM 2024 has meant that the enthusiasm towards the new version has slowly been eating itself out. Was already a bit 50/50 whether I will buy the game or not and when I saw the recent update on Threads (yeah, Threads, not the community) yesterday, I wasn't even disappointed. Might well be that I won't be buying the new version at all.

Well, I am disappointed, very disappointed. SI was trying to do more transparent in the last dev updates but they didn't it properly. Should to foreseen that the game wouldn't be ready on November. In the last years, the PR of the game is the worst possible and not too clear. With all respect to the job of years that Miles has in the company but he can't release official news of the game in his personal account. There are the official Football Manager blog/site/Twitter/Threads/Instagram/Forum, then use them. And be real and clear about the game development, think carefully before to go to the press because make preorder, hiding any real screenshot of the game and delaying any info of the game allowing strange people take charge of the info source that should be from SI didn't the company on nothing. 

I think we as FM fans and consumers we deserve more respect. We give our respect, time, devotion, trust and mainly money to you and look at the way you are paying us. Take advantage the extra time you got to finish the game and bring us back with a playable game, if possible with the features you took off working fine as you are planning to do in the future versions. If there is time for that, do it. I am a international management fan, I play an FM24 career with club/nation team and I would like to keep with it on FM25. And as I said in early posts, international management is a huge and important part of the women's football, where many of the people that haven't never contact with it strongly to know some women's player due the national team matches. 

It's sad all those problems to happen when the game hit a selling record and it was preparing itself to get a wider people. 

Em 09/10/2024 em 15:22, GIMN disse:

There's a few:

https://www.twitch.tv/mooonostreams
https://www.twitch.tv/fm_girl
https://www.twitch.tv/lefootencuisine (French)

A couple who used to, but I don't believe they do anymore.  Holly, I believe, used to work for SI up until recently:

https://www.twitch.tv/hollyyplayys
https://www.twitch.tv/kimmyminx

Thank you. 

17 horas atrás, Novem9 disse:

How it started

image.png.07136a6d5a80e5b3fe711d9bdf52c6f0.png

How it's going

image.png.16f10db3a5827e4e594e78eef4a8d285.png

LOL really 

16 horas atrás, StevehFC disse:

I'll be starting a FM24 save tonight. At least we can still play International Football on it. 

Funny I played an international match now. Good I can do it on FM 24 still. 

16 horas atrás, albertocerdeira.4 disse:

But releasing a football game in March is lilke open a ski station on June or to schedule a beach trip on January

If SI were a brazilian company, they would be releasing at the right period lol

16 horas atrás, renato. disse:

I did the conversion directly from Steam, not from alternative sellers. Considering taxes it would cost even more than what I think, I guess.

Should be have some way of releasing the game here officially with the brazilian DB, even an "fake" one

11 horas atrás, Mobius disse:

I'll let my daughter know she won't be playing women's football in FM this Christmas then....

I feel so much for your daughter and any girl/woman was full of energy to play the new version :/

44 minutos atrás, speck disse:

There are way too many comments to read through, so this may have already been mentioned.

My guess would be they're going to use the start of the NWSL season (which starts in March) as the main promotion of the game (assuming it does release in March). The women's leagues were already going to be a big part of the game, but now with the release being aligned with the start of the NWSL season it opens up some different promotional opportunities.

Interesting... There is a potencial to be explored. 

10 minutes ago, Costav said:

That is just speculation and is likely to be false. Moreover, is not serious at all and does not add anything to the discussion.

C'mon, we are not kids anymore

Only kids speculate? This has taken a strange turn and given the fact we're discussing it, it does add.

5 hours ago, waraka14 said:

Bruh comes out in May/June and makes the big announcement that weights have been removed because keeping it would hurt feelings. Maybe should have been paying attention to the disaster brewing. 

I would love to know how man hours were spent in meetings about this decision. How long did it take the devs to implement? How many sprints were disrupted with this request? What a giant waste of time on something completely irrelevant. All so they can pat themselves on the back for being progressive or whatever.

These kind of decisions are like choosing an accent colour in a room while your house is flooding.

4 minutes ago, mackem10 said:

Only kids speculate? This has taken a strange turn and given the fact we're discussing it, it does add.

How do you call it when you talk know nothing about the topic you're discussing of?

It add nothing. You (as well as we) know nothing about their financial situation (unless you studied their balances) and you know nothing about the future of the company (unless you work in the high-level management at SI).

Just now, Costav said:

How do you call it when you talk know nothing about the topic you're discussing of?

It add nothing. You (as well as we) know nothing about their financial situation (unless you studied their balances) and you know nothing about the future of the company (unless you work in the high-level management at SI).

I havent called anything.

And you're assuming the chap that did, hasn't studied their balances. Which was my point (that I didn't think we would still be discussing(adding to the thread)), that assumptions are ok to be made without having to produce a "report".

10 hours ago, CaptainSa said:

The move to eFootball had nothing to do with Konami realising they couldn't do an annual version, and everything to do with Konami's ongoing pursuit of pachinko money and neglecting the video game side of their business.

Not what I meant. I recall that between 2021 to 2022 or so, the follow-up game wasn't up to par with what they expected so they updated the existing game with squads and gave a discount on the following game.

20 minutes ago, Costav said:

That's not entirely true. While it adds nothing to the conversation at all it is worth noting that SI's full accounts are viewable by anyone at the companies house website here :

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02950954/filing-history

In my opinion it would be a good idea for them to think about changing the business model: instead of making a new game every year, they could make a new game every 7-10 years, with DLCs in between.

Patch with bug fixes during all the development should be for free, but they could provide new functionalities and new database with paid DLC. Maybe they would make even more money doing this and for sure the major releases after such long period of development would be huge upgrades.

2 minutes ago, Proz said:

In my opinion it would be a good idea for them to think about changing the business model: instead of making a new game every year, they could make a new game every 7-10 years, with DLCs in between.

Patch with bug fixes during all the development should be for free, but they could provide new functionalities and new database with paid DLC. Maybe they would make even more money doing this and for sure the major releases after such long period of development would be huge upgrades.

That's basically what they do anyway, no?

When was the last FM game that was good because of a bunch of new features? There's been praise for some recent games (especially 24, it seems) but not because of new stuff they've added, just because the games steadily get less bad.

10 hours ago, ajw10 said:

it'll barely be 8 months. The game will be out of date in less than 3 months, and if history tells us anything, it's that the game will be in it's worst state for that 3 months.

Sorry. Don't get it at all.

The game is 'out of date' the moment you press the continue button. It stops being reality and the FM world takes over. 

We have no idea what 'state' the game will be in upon release - it may be fantastic straight out of the box. FM24 wasn't bad to be fair - I still play my very first save I have on it. 

As I said I fully get the disappointment , and I am going to give my own thoughts in a minute, but I don't get the whole 'pointless buying FM25' thing. It is 8 months. March to November is 8 months. There is no barely. 

15 minutes ago, ds_61_1 said:

That's not entirely true. While it adds nothing to the conversation at all it is worth noting that SI's full accounts are viewable by anyone at the companies house website here :

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02950954/filing-history

I agree 100% only whena comment is based on studying the situation, providing explanations and facts in support of your argument, which I did not believe was the case.

8 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Sorry. Don't get it at all.

The game is 'out of date' the moment you press the continue button. It stops being reality and the FM world takes over. 

We have no idea what 'state' the game will be in upon release - it may be fantastic straight out of the box. FM24 wasn't bad to be fair - I still play my very first save I have on it. 

As I said I fully get the disappointment , and I am going to give my own thoughts in a minute, but I don't get the whole 'pointless buying FM25' thing. It is 8 months. March to November is 8 months. There is no barely. 

We have no idea but based on the delays and evidence so far - as well as the fact features have been removed and it’s a brand new engine - I think it’s pretty safe to say expectations should be tempered. Normal FM’s have another 3 or 4 months development after release and it would be surprising if this didn’t need more. 

10 hours ago, anagain said:

Assuming they do release FM26 in November. I do actually think it'd be best they just do this game and then skip to FM27 now that I suggested it.

They can't 'skip'. Asdie from the whole what are they supposed to pay their staff with if they skip a year - they have contracts with sponsors and clubs and leagues. You can assume that those agreements and contracts will be to release a FM within the financial year. If they fail to release they will be in breach and potentially loose those agreements. No more FM.

21 minutes ago, Costav said:

I agree 100% only whena comment is based on studying the situation, providing explanations and facts in support of your argument, which I did not believe was the case.

Have you studied the poster, what he has researched and provided explanations and facts in support of your argument that he has not done these things before posting?

If not, why would you be ok to assume something and not he?

There appears to be some kind of malevolent connotation to his post that I am entirely missing to draw such opposition.

Maybe an argument for the other side is that the FM team didn't want to release the game at all and have been under pressure for a long time. They were pushed and pushed to release a yearly game for financial reasons and it was Miles (bless him) that finally said this product is unloved and crap and we as a team will not put our name to it. Sega get out of my office!

2 hours ago, thomas_e said:

I wonder how SI will communicate to the fanbase in the upcoming days.

I don't think they will. I think they'll probably go dark for the forseeable. At least until Jan. Rightly or wrongly I think it is going to be heads down and ignore the masses.

Edited by ds_61_1
spelling.

1 ora fa, XaW ha scritto:

Please don't make assumptions like this unless you have access to their financial records.

Financial for Sports Interactive LTD are public. Just go to Companies House.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02950954

They don't look great. At the same time, they have SEGA behind them so resources should be available to inject the capital needed to stay afloat. Would be crazy not to inject the capital considering the value of FM brand. Companies happen to undergo longer cycle of investments every now and then. You don't need to have returns every year to justify a long term investment.