Game 40: England vs Slovakia LIVE from the Arena AufSchalke. Sunday ITV1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/24 at 15:59

image.png.0d9381737262559cb94eed8bc95c3d6c.png vs image.png.ce3683a0e6fbc60f424e8a062093093e.png

Possible line-ups

England: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Guéhi, Trippier; Mainoo, Rice; Saka, Bellingham, Gordon; Kane
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Foden, Gallagher, Guéhi, Trippier

Slovakia: Dúbravka; Pekarík, Vavro, Škriniar, Hancko; Kucka, Lobotka, Duda; Schranz, Boženík, Haraslín
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Duda, Schranz

England are predicted to win this match by the Opta supercomputer, earning victory inside 90 minutes in 65.1% of pre-game simulations.

Road to the Last 16

image.png.45137edcfebacdef5b456950b7409b45.png

-------

Here we go then, England in a knockout match. England have played in two last 16 games at the Euros, won 1

Across for Steeerliiinnggg

...... And lost 1

Montage

Here, have the montage the BBC ran before the Germany game last time out

come on england

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon we'll only make the one change; Mainoo in for TAA.

That'll fix some of the issues, but unless Foden is instructed to stay wide, I think we'll have many of the same issues we've seen so far. Don't **** about Gareth, go Gordon :brock:

I'm actually terrified by this game, because of how we have played so far. I genuinely would rather have to play a France/Spain so that we could be the underdog.

Can see it being a drab 0-0 all the way to penalties.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

I reckon we'll only make the one change; Mainoo in for TAA.

That'll fix some of the issues, but unless Foden is instructed to stay wide, I think we'll have many of the same issues we've seen so far. Don't **** about Gareth, go Gordon :brock:

For Gallagher you mean?

11 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Cant they just accept England have won, saves everyone time turning up for 1-0 eye bleeder

Going to save this one and comeback to it as Slovakia does their celebration tour :D

47 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I'm sure I said I was getting 2016 vibes pre tournament. Remarkably similar so far. 

57 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Why do I feel like we are going to get 2016 again and Iceland :( 

I've been saying this to my mate since our opening game. The vibez of this team are rancid.

3-0 win. Even being average during group stage, the gulf in quality is too big and we’ll win comfortably. 

Getting 10 shots on target, regardless where they’re from, will see 3 goals against Dubravka.

• England did far better than Slovakia in qualification. Slovakia came 2nd to Portugal in their group, (and 3rd was Luxemburg...)
  • England topped their group, even winning and drawing versus the victor of Slovakia in their group match- Ukraine.
  • The upset was Slovakia beating number 3 team in the world- Belgium. Although a draw would have been a fairer result.

Worst case scenario: England draw at 90mins. 

Edited by Lermon

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

ITV coverage starting at 3:30 :D 

Not sure how they can fill 90 minutes when the group stage games have already been analysed to death.

The build-up will probably last longer than the actual entertainment. :D

I'll stick to the darts World Cup for the next few hours. At least I'm going to see one England team who can win an international tournament in Germany. :p

Then I'm switching over to Glastonbury. Nothing But Thieves before kick-off, Alvvays during the first half, Brittany Howard during the second half... and then Two Door Cinema Club will be on just in time to save me from the inevitable penalty shoot-out defeat. Good times. :thup:

(Though, of course, my plans might change if England ever threaten to start playing football again.)

12 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

I’m feeling kind of win-win about it. Either we go through or Rob goes out. 

Hilarious.

I don’t know if you’ve actually read any of my posts properly? But I haven’t been remotely positive about anything I’ve seen so far this year.

That doesn’t mean I won’t continue to defend Southgate’s record at previous tournaments. Or remind people that all kinds of teams have, shock!, won trophies without playing amazingly well in all the group stage games.

Hope that clarifies.

Edited by Rob1981

Think its a 50:50 shot of us finally finding our mojo, not a lot to base that on beyond past experience of teams suddenly coming alive in the knockout stages.

England will be fine I think. So far they've played teams where the quality gap is so big that it hasn't mattered how they've played. This is another one of those games - Slovakia are pretty ****.

5 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

I've been saying this to my mate since our opening game. The vibez of this team are rancid.

It's been really weird. No real hype or excitement pre-tournament, even compared to the last World Cup which had a weird vibe due to it being in winter and everything that came with Qatar, it felt different and more upbeat and positive even during the Group Stage games. 

I don't get the vibe the players are as up for it or enjoying it as much as they have previous tournaments, Southgate looks mentally checked out already and I can't remember the last time I've seen proper England fanboy/neutral pundits like Shearer and especially Lineker digging out the team and even players like Kane before so publicly. It's almost like it's gone back to the bad old days of England tournaments out of nowhere as well. Can't really work out why it's happened. 

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Mainoo in for Gallagher. Foden still on the left.

I... 

I can't believe he's only made that one change, what part of the last 3 games show that any of this is due to the fault of one position? 

Madness. 

Whatever 

TRUST THE PROCESS!!! 

Just now, Bliss Seeker said:

I... 

I can't believe he's only made that one change, what part of the last 3 games show that any of this is due to the fault of one position? 

Madness. 

Whatever 

TRUST THE PROCESS!!! 

There ain't no process

These points about the old boys on the Slovakian right are interesting. We know Trippier isn't going to be a threat on the left so you have to hope that Foden can deliver something over there, rather than drifting in / swapping with Bellingham. Again.

That's an uninspiring England team.

Going for an uninspiring 2-0 England win.

On 29/06/2024 at 11:57, Coulthard's Jaw said:

image.png.0d9381737262559cb94eed8bc95c3d6c.png vs image.png.ce3683a0e6fbc60f424e8a062093093e.png

Nothing uninspiring about Daniela Hantuchova, though. What a player she was, by the way. :cool:

/McCoist

23 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I... 

Madness. 

Whatever 

TRUST THE PROCESS!!! 

It's okay, the BBC says England need to worry about "dark horses" Switzerland in the QF. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cv2glz4r4zgo