Game 42: Portugal vs Slovenia live from the Frankfurt Arena. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/07/24 at 18:59

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Seems weird to say, and he'll probably score now and make me look a mug, but they're wasting a good generation here by continuing with Ronaldo.

I get the alternative is Ramos who's not amazing, but they're a better team overall. Could even go with Jota through the middle who's done well there for Liverpool 

Look at the last World Cup - their best performance by far came without him.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Seems weird to say, and he'll probably score now and make me look a mug, but they're wasting a good generation here by continuing with Ronaldo.

I get the alternative is Ramos who's not amazing, but they're a better team overall. Could even go with Jota through the middle who's done well there for Liverpool 

I agree but Ramos was awful in the pre tournament friendlies and Ronaldo scored and looked surprisingly sharp against Ireland, so that's how we ended up here.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

We've reached the point of the tournament where Ronaldo needs to be dropped.

We reached that point 2 years ago, tbh. :D

The funniest thing that could happen is Ronaldo scores a late goal and takes his shirt off, gets booked, but it's disallowed by VAR, then they get knocked out by France while he's sat on the sidelines through suspension.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

The funniest thing that could happen is Ronaldo scores a late goal and takes his shirt off, gets booked, but it's disallowed by VAR, then they get knocked out by France while he's sat on the sidelines through suspension.

Tbh, him being off the pitch worked in 2016. He might just do it.

All the memes aside and the fact that Cristiano is insufferable, there's nothing worse in sports when an all-time great just can't accept he's past it and keeps embarrassing himself.

Younger generation that has never seen his peak will remember him just for his awful final years.

Slovenia have defended well. Decent opportunities on the counter but completely buggered up decent positions. Portugal look like scoring eventually, but it does feel a bit of a repeat of the England game.

Posted (edited)

England have a first half with Slovenia where they dominate possession without troubling the goalkeeper

Pundits: Let's have an inquest into how terrible England are and who is most to blame

Portugal have a far more important first half with Slovenia where they dominate possession without troubling the goalkeeper

Pundits: Let's praise Slovenia and analyse how wonderful Ronaldo is 

Edited by enigmatic

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

What am I hearing here? How can BBC watch that half and decide to praise Ronaldo's performance?

Tbf he did say he's had 58 direct free kicks at major tournaments and scored once. That's not that praiseworthy :D

edit: **** off Pucky

Edited by SouthCoastRed

I thank Ronaldo for all he's done for us, but ffs this is painful to watch 

Vitinha, Palhinha, Nuno Mendes and Leão all having a spectacular match but it's all going to **** because it's still got to be that same one man show as ever.

Just now, enigmatic said:

England have a first half with Slovenia where they dominate without troubling the goalkeeper

Pundits: Let's have an inquest into how terrible England are and who is most to blame

Portugal have a far more important first half with Slovenia where they dominate without troubling the goalkeeper

Pundits: Let's praise Slovenia and analyse how wonderful Ronaldo is 

Tbf Portugal have definitely looked more likely to score than what we did. They're absolutely over-praising this performance though.

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Watching Ronaldo trying to leap in the air like he isn't almost 40 is quite sad 

it’s very funny that he’s 39, super into being professional and staying in top shape etc., but is way more finished than 41 year old Pepe who has been a bit a meme throughout his career for just liking shithousing and being radgie.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

it’s very funny that he’s 39, super into being professional and staying in top shape etc., but is way more finished than 41 year old Pepe who has been a bit a meme throughout his career for just liking shithousing and being radgie.

If he is or was a meme then you've not watched him closely 

He was absolutely key in the Euro 2016 title for example

He's underrated because people don't like him (understandably)

Just now, noikeee said:

If he is or was a meme then you've not watched him closely 

He was absolutely key in the Euro 2016 title for example

He's underrated because people don't like him (understandably)

I think Pepe is great! He definitely has a rep though.