Semi Final 1: Spain vs France live from the Fußball Arena München. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/24 at 18:59

Posted (edited)

euro_24_-_2_players_h2h_-_facebook_16_.j

Possible line-ups

Spain: Unai Simón: Navas, Nacho, Laporte, Cucurella; Olmo, Rodri, Fabián Ruiz; Lamine Yamal, Morata, Williams
Suspended: Carvajal, Le Normand

France: Maignan; Koundé, Saliba, Upamecano, Hernández; Kanté, Tchouaméni, Camavinga, Griezmann; Kolo Muani, Mbappé

Spain are the narrow favourites against France, winning 38.2% of pre-match simulations by the Opta supercomputer.

Route to the semi-finals

Spain
Group B
3-0 vs Croatia (Morata 29, Fabián Ruiz 32, Carvajal 45+2)
1-0 vs Italy (Calafiori og 55)
1-0 vs Albania (Ferran Torres 13)

Round of 16
4-1 vs Georgia (Rodri 39, Fabián Ruiz 51, Williams 75, Olmo 83; Le Normand og 18)

Quarter-final
2-1 vs Germany aet (Dani Olmo 51, Merino 119; Wirtz 89)

France
Group D
1-0 vs Austria (Wöber og 38)
0-0 vs Netherlands
1-1 vs Poland (Mbappé 56 pen; Lewandowski 79 pen)

Round of 16
1-0 vs Belgium (Vertonghen og 85)

Quarter-finals
0-0 aet, 5-3 pens vs Portugal

Plenty of big big big games between these two over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVdK_uqMs0s

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Spain win. France have been very underwhelming. Can only see lots of goals in this if Spain are 2 nil up in 30 mins or something. It's got 1 nil France all over this though I feel.

France need to find a creative spark, might be interesting to see if Dembele starts as he looked lively against Portugal, Spain have been the best team in the tournament

probably going 120 minutes, France bore their way to the final

Hold on - the Navas replacing Carvajal isn't THE Navas, surely? He must be ancient by now?

Heart says Spain based on how they've played; head says France because Deschamps will do whatever is needed to grind out a win.

The quality in central midfield is stellar :cool:

I think this may be a comfortable win for Spain as I just think that if they can get an early goal, France don't have the attacking threat to come back from that.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

For football's sake, I really hope Spain win.

France v England would be the most boring final of all time so purely for football’s sake you’d want Spain and Netherlands to go through.

29 minutes ago, Weezer said:

France v England would be the most boring final of all time so purely for football’s sake you’d want Spain and Netherlands to go through.

Do you not remember the last Spain v Netherlands final?

3 hours ago, Haguey said:

"The English nasty English ref was Englishly biased against the Dutch!!!'

Look not given red cars are irrelevant. That not given corner in the 116th minute though? Horrendous bias against the Dutch!

Dutch take after that final basically. :lol:

Whatever personal tastes people have, one thing is for sure: that was the worst reffing in a final ever and it's not even close (maybe 1966 comes near it). Another shining example of English refereeing :D

Spain have been THE best team at these Euros, but that makeshift defence looks a bit dicey. An almost 39-year-old Navas at right-back? :lol:

France have been rock-solid, if not spectacular - but dropping Griezmann is a huge call. There's hardly any creativity in midfield as it is!

My prediction is that it goes to penalties... and France prevail again. I've tipped them as champions from the start, and as underwhelming as they've been so far, I'm not changing my mind now.

Yep, good ol' BBC build-up to a big Semi Final.

Bring on three English pundits with no experience of Spanish or French football, and then spend the first 10 minutes of a 30-minute preview talking about England. Never change. :p

If Mbappe is 80%+, France. If not, Spain.

Dembele in for Griezmann is completely unsurprising given respective performances. A bit surprised they haven’t gone back to Thuram up top though.

Olmo in for Pedri is an upgrade for Spain, but if France don’t put Navas to the test nonstop for 90 minutes it’d be quite the tactical failure.

Posted (edited)

Think England have a slightly better chance against France (if we got through, of course), but Spain have been so much better to watch.

Edited by Pukey

I really wish Gavi could play for Spain today. Their full backs are going to need plenty of protection against those wingers + Hernandez joining in.

That being said, Kante is probably the most creative midfielder France have in that line-up, which is a bit mental. :D

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Think England have a slightly better chance against France (if we got through, of course), but Spain have been so much better to watch.

Agree, Spain would just destroy us on the press.  

Posted (edited)

Don't think red and blue clashes. Unless either colour blindness reasons or France have to wear white due to Spain's shorts being blue.

Edited by av3ry

Just now, av3ry said:

Don't think red and blue clashes. Unless France have to wear white due to Spain's shorts being blue.

They probably don't want to wear blue without it being blue-white-red combo and Spain has red socks.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Dunno if I am leaning the other way. In a boring game where nobody commits bodies forward then France can probably grind out a 1-0 a lot more efficiently than we can. Whereas if Spain come at us and the game opens up… we might finally remember we can play a bit.

Got to get past Netherlands though etc.

Edited by Rob1981

• Administrators

Bothers me France not in Blue as well. Not sure who I want to win this from an England perspective. 

• Administrators

I really don’t like Jenas as a commentator. Wonder who BBC go with for the final?