Semi Final 2: Netherlands vs England live from the BVB Stadion Dortmund. Wednesday ITV1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/07/24 at 18:59

Just now, Ackter said:

Also seems to be their only real threat on set pieces.

Weirdly I think despite his size and reputation he's never been amazing from set pieces :D

We need Sol back imo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why Kane went to right wing in our last attack :D

Surely having him in the box if a cross comes in is better than Saka.

Good half, easily our best of the tournament so far.

Just now, arenaross said:

Apart from the opening 30 mins against Serbia, this is the first time I've felt something approaching a feeling of confidence that we will win the game. 

You know what that means...

England may have looked better than so far in the tournament, but they still have not scored yet, apart from the very dubious penalty. 

Still, they have dominated, we hardly got a chance. We need to conquer the box in midfield, or we need to play over the wings more. In any case, more pressure needed.

1 minute ago, aggressive minor said:

Feel sorry for Trippier, he’s awful in that position, yet clearly a good player.

Foden looking amazing, annoying Gareth took long to put him there, but better late than never!

The full backs playing are so restrictive. At least switch them, and then you'll have output on the right, and still nothing on the left. 

Just now, aiston said:

I don't understand why Kane went to right wing in our last attack :D

Surely having him in the box if a cross comes in is better than Saka.

Good half, easily our best of the tournament so far.

Can only assumed he rotated to drag defenders away so somebody could run into the box

Do feel, despite Kane goal output, we’d actually be a better and more threaten side in these type of games if we had like another attacking mid instead of him, because the movement is there for everyone expect him. And when he does move and get on it, it’s slow. 

2 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Bellingham has done some decent stuff, there's just noone there with him.

Takes too long on the ball compared to the other three. When he moves it quick, it’s great, when he’s holding onto it for too long, less so.

Completely different England in this game.

Even before conceding, high press was attempted right away and they looked up for it.

Clearly a better team, but it's going to be talked about the penalty.

Still, whenever Netherlands does manage to get through, defense looks shaky.

But it's better to be attacking with a shaky defense.

As for the penalty, both me and Dumfries have PTSD about a similar situation a few years back, in stoppage time.

Spoiler

273ae7a65d7d3fc2e4177f9118fb9f0e-43853-o

England's biggest need is a dangerous striker in the box.

If Kane doesn't want to do it, get him off. There's enoough midfield playmaking, he doesn't need to do it in this game.

Edited by GunmaN1905

2 minutes ago, DJ said:

England may have looked better than so far in the tournament, but they still have not scored yet, apart from the very dubious penalty. 

Still, they have dominated, we hardly got a chance. We need to conquer the box in midfield, or we need to play over the wings more. In any case, more pressure needed.

Your guys still seem dangerous when you have the ball near our box. Our defence was always our weakness.

I'd be bringing Shaw on, but how early do you do it is the issue. Do it at half time then you risk him playing 45 plus extra time which is not far off a full game. Too late though and you might not be getting the full benefit of using him.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Completely different England in this game.

Even before conceding, high press was attempted right away and they looked up for it.

Clearly a better team, but it's going to be talked about the penalty.

Still, whenever Netherlands does manage to get through, defense looks shaky.

But it's better to be attacking with a shaky defense.

As for the penalty, both me and Dumfries have PTSD about a similar situation a few years back, in stoppage time.

Reveal hidden contents

273ae7a65d7d3fc2e4177f9118fb9f0e-43853-o

scandalo!

Couldn’t watch the first half…

Shocking Netherlands’ goal, ridiculous penalty decision. Was it given live and not overturned or not given until a var check?

Just now, XuluBak said:

Couldn’t watch the first half…

Shocking Netherlands’ goal, ridiculous penalty decision. Was it given live and not overturned or not given until a var check?

nope, the ref said no until VAR pulled him over

Good game from England, disappointed at Netherlands. I was expecting more from then.

if England goes through and keeps playing like this the final vs my country could be an epic game.

I have the luck of being in the stadium right now and the ambience is fantastic, the Dutch are majority and started very vocal with the chants but they diluted like the team while the English roar after the goal was incredible.

Edited by Icy

By far our best performance, but I'm really not sure about that penalty. You'd be fuming if it was given against you, but I can kind of see why it was given.

Foden has been great and seems to have a connection with Mainoo (whose speed of thought and action has been great - not enough was made of him blocking a Dutch breakaway). I want more from Bellingham and hope Trippier can just have a bit more confidence with his left foot. I'd rather he runs the line and slices crosses than just cuts inside - give Dumfries some sort of defensive quandary. 

Just now, Haguey said:

Sad to see Neville doesn't understand how fouls work imo

Arguing "there's a bit license" for defenders in the box before realising that's not anywhere in the rules

1 minute ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

That Foden chance though. If we go out that's the one we're going to look back on. Inches. :(

Why? You look back at the bad misses. Nothing else he could have done.

Just now, VamPook said:

Really lucky with that penalty

Not sure how you can give it on the replay

All strikers should just follow through every shot into blocking foots if that's being given

Anthony Gordon's time to shine.

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

Warming up at half time according to 5live

Absolute must before the hour mark are these two:

Shaw for Trippier

Toney for Kane

Anything else we'll look at as the game progresses

6 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Takes too long on the ball compared to the other three. When he moves it quick, it’s great, when he’s holding onto it for too long, less so.

They've all been holding on to the ball slightly too long tbf

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Warming up at half time according to 5live

Trippier seems so low standard we need a step up there. Might as well risk the lad.

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

All strikers should just follow through every shot into blocking foots if that's being given

Common sense though, if it's an inch after the ball has left your foot then that's a bit different. 

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

If a defender is dangling their studs so close and high, then yes they should.

I would like to hear the conversation for that pen. Because if referee has said there’s contact but it’s not a pen, there’s no way VAR should be intervening. If referee has said there’s been no contact, then it’s fair to be reviewed.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Arguing "there's a bit license" for defenders in the box before realising that's not anywhere in the rules

Thing is, that 'bit of licence' HAS always existed in football. Softer infringements that are pulled up in every other part of the field have always generally been ignored when they happen in the box. Another knock on from the continued muddled usage of VAR is that technically that penalty award is probably right by the laws - but feels wrong because in years gone by it would never get given.

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

I can see why the pen would be given but it’s absolutely not the clear and obvious error that VAR is meant to interfere for 

For me the biggest issue is "clear and obvious" thing.

It's either a foul or it's not, make the rules clear.

I can see both sides of the argument in this situation.

For me it's not a penalty because it's an attempted block with studs not facing Kane, the foot wasn't even that high (below waist level) and it was Kane who initiated the contact with his momentum. To even give a yellow on top...idk.

But if it is a penalty, then where do we stop with defenders making contact after the ball is gone?

1 minute ago, Andrew_ said:

Playing like **** all tournament and getting through, then going out when playing well would be pretty funny. 

Not for you lot obvs

This would not surprise me at all.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Absolute must before the hour mark are these two:

Shaw for Trippier

Toney for Kane

Anything else we'll look at as the game progresses

Toney really struggles against VVD 

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

For me the biggest issue is "clear and obvious" thing.

It's either a foul or it's not, make the rules clear.

I can see both sides of the argument in this situation.

For me it's not a penalty because it's an attempted block with studs not facing Kane, the foot wasn't even that high (below waist level) and it was Kane who initiated the contact with his momentum. To even give a yellow on top...idk.

But if it is a penalty, then where do we stop with defenders making contact after the ball is gone?

Judgement call, hence why it has to be subjective and not black and white.