dafuge's FM15 challenge

After finishing the challenge in FM 13 with Kettering (which i'm always tempted to put in my real-life CV), i really struggled in FM14 to the point i just gave up.

This time though, i have high hopes with this year instalment. So without further ado, I present to you Pablo Chudini, new manager of Hereford! I feel he is the right person to bring glory days to this club! :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 players! You really did go crazy in the transfer market, but definitely brought in some great players. Nice job ending the season in 7th place. Fingers crossed you can push for a playoff place next season.

Well the board are now demanding we win the title this season :( the media have also somehow made us favourites despite me not really signing anyone - brought in two midfielders and several loan players, I'm struggling to find new players though not being helped by my star ratings now seemingly being judged against Conference Premier sides, as my staff are claiming Leading Conference Premier rated players are only 3.5 stars?

We did at least start the new season off with a 1-0 win over a North Ferriby side who spent most of the second half with just nine men due to injuries (makes a nice change my players not getting injured).

It also seems keeping hold of players will be harder this year, my Spanish Striker Garica is unhappy because a Spanish Second Division side (Alcoyano who've just won promotion from the third league and must be in trouble if they are looking at my players) have shown an interest but without them even making a bid or any news items being generated him became unhappy and wanted a chat about moving to them, I told him wait and see if they make a bid and he got in a strop and I've been forced to tell him I'll accept a bid if they ever make one :( (A month later and they still haven't made any steps towards bidding on him)

Very difficult to stop set pieces - any ideas? I tried searching the forums but there's nothing obvious.

The defending set-pieces match prep option and setting most players to zonal mark the six yard box on corners have improved things for me a bit, though haven't found a way to stop them switching off on rebounds :(

Been sacked now. I can't do this on FM15. I think I'm going to download FM10 and try to finally complete this challenge on a match engine that works. Are we allowed to post on here using different FMs?
The threads for the older versions of the game are still open, you can still use those.

Skelmersdale United

Season Summary 24/25

Sky Bet Championship

Final Position 4th

The Players

The squad was pretty much intact from previous season heading into the Championship. Agents were quite busy and had countless of players offered. Some where scouted and a few were offered trial. Ricardo Budzilek was offered to our club after Boca released him and following his trial given a contract. He look like a pretty good player for years to come. Renato Babo was a second huge signing. He was released from FCP and I am really clueless as of why they did release him. Would have expected him to score more goals, but am confident he will go on and become a new icon of our club. Previous seasons key player Derek Kelly was hit by many injuries this season and wasn't able to maintain his briliant previous performances. Luckily we signed Rob Hall who was released from Inverness and with his ability to play both AML/R he was a life saver. With those 2 and Kellan Gordon (who had his best season so far) we had our inside forwards stable throughout season. In the defensive appartment Camille Colin (previously OM) and last season rising star Steven Collins had a great season. Our midfield was strong with Steve Gough and Scott Carpenter, but was improved even more with Iban Romo, whom was released by Real Madrid.

The League

We were never really challenging for the title. Sheffield United and M'boro was just too good. We did play in and around the playoffs all through season though. On the final match day, we had M'boro away and suffered a heavy and disappointing 4-1 loss, sending us to the playoffs. In the first leg we drew Hull away and didn't salvage anything from that game, not even 1 shot on target - luckily, we had our solid defense and Jack Mills in goal and only lost 1-0. For the second leg, ass man came up with an idea of just letting the players play without pressure. So they did, and we won 2-0 home, sending us to Wembley to battle West Brom, a team that had annoyed us quite alot in this as well as previous seasons. 90 minutes later in a quite boring game (neither West Brom nor us had a single shot on goal after 45 mins) we drew the longest straw and thank to a quality performance by Kellan Gordon we secured a 1-0 win and gained promotion to the promised land.

The Cups

Following last seasons amazing run to the final in the Capital One, we had high expectations, but were looking stupified as League 1 Rotherham sent us out in the first round with 1-0 defeat. In the FA Cup we fared a little better beating insignifcant teams until M'boro ended our run in the 6th round. Content with the FA, but hugely disappointed with the Capital One.

The Extras

Going overboard with the wage budget, it was a pleasing feeling when board decided to throw 3 mill into black hole to keep the club running. Board also decided to not only improve our training facils for second year running, but also improving the youth setup to a category 4. Having played on sold out 5k stadium all season, it was more than welcomed with the promotion to be able to "soonish" move into a 14k newly build stadium.

Following last game of normal season and M'boro gaining promotion (after being relegated from PRM) they decided to humiliate me as manager even further, by sacking the M'boro manager. However, the news read from that even I do find quite funny.

Our U21 showed us how to win a trophy, as they secured the U21 title.

Bagged another license this year. The Continental B, and am currently training for Continental A!

For next season, we could really use 2 amazing full backs and 1 amazing striker, besides those positions, we should look pretty strong.

Year	League	Pos.	Champ.L	Uefa	FA.Cup	Cap.One	JPT	FAT 	Achievement
15/16	Van N	11th	None	None	3d.Qual	None	None	3rd Rnd	None
16/17	Van N	1st	None	None	1st Rnd	None	None	4th Rnd	Promoted!
17/18	Conf	18th	None	None	1st Rnd	None	None	1st Rnd	Survived!
18/19	Conf	9th	None	None	2nd Rnd	None	None	1st Rnd None
19/20	Conf	1st	None	None	3rd Rnd	None	None	4th Rnd	Promoted!
20/21	L2	12th	None	None	4th Rnd	2nd Rnd	1st Rnd	None	None
21/22	L2	1st	None	None	5th Rnd	2nd Rnd	Semi F	None	Promoted!
22/23	L1	3rd	None	None	4th Rnd	2nd Rnd	Qtr F	None	None
23/24	L1	2nd	None	None	3rd Rnd	Final	1st Rnd	None	Promoted, Capital One Runner Up
24/25	CH	4th	None	None	6th Rnd	1st Rnd	None	None	Promoted via playoffs

I'm taking the Reigns of Dorchester Town FC. I've never been that successful with lower league teams so I'm hoping I can change that this time around. We're predicted to finish 21st and while I'm realistic about this coming season, I don't see any reason why we can play some good football and finish clear of the relegation zone. Those Affiliate clubs might come in very handy as well.

Dons, feel free to share this tactic with everyone! :p

4-2-4 Against all teams vulnerable to 4-4-2 and set pieces depending vulnerabilities, yours or theirs. 4-3-3 Against teams you expect to lose to, or teams vulnerable to 4-3-3 - Also works well vs teams that haven't gotten vulnerabilities. Set pieces as the other one. Full backs/Inside forwards should have good crossing/passing.

End of Season 1 - Blyth Spartans (15/16)

Spartans didn't quite reach the conquering heights of their medieval namesakes, but they battled away to a creditable 12th - despite the most injury prone squad in the division and a very small wage bill... Tried my best not to get sucked into paying high wages on questionable players.

The result is £46k in the bank, pretty decent for this level. I've re-signed 8 core players for next season, it all seems like a nice enough base to start Year 16/17 from.

Comps:

League - 12th in Vanarama Conference North

FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round

FA Trophy - 2nd Round

Top 4 performers:

Andrew Nelson (ST - loan)

Conor Tinnion (LM/LW)

Dan Maguire (RW/ST - can't agree new contract, but still trying)

Connor Oliver (RB)

Squad Weaknesses - summer shopping list:

GK (GK)

LB (LD - D)

CB (LD - D)

CM (AP - for away games)

CM (BWM - both home and away)

RM/RW (W)

AM (SS)

CF (P/AF)

Other Notes:

- My board finally agreed to send me on a coaching course at the end of the season.

- Unfortunately the corner instructions didn't seem to make a big difference, as can be seen on this screenshot - http://i.imgur.com/gKbCNJX.png

Tip Seeking:

- Anyone know how to stop conceding at corners?

- Anyone know how to score more at corners? There must be a way... how does the computer do it?

Defending is really annoying me, even with players on close down more no one even gets close to an opposition player. They just pass it round in pretty triangles, and when I eventually get a kick at the ball its 1 touch and then give it away!

qMPBhbp.png

King's Lynn

Season 2017/2018

Table / Position Graph / Squad / Finances / Transfers / Manager / Lg. Records (team) /Lg. Records (ind) / Confidence / Reputation

Season three was a slight step up from previous seasons. Predicted 22 (for the first time since taking over), we improved on the previous years standing, eventually finishing 12th. An unfortunate run of 9 matches with one win at the turn of the year (albeit with five draws) slowed down our progression up the ranks, and we never quite caught back up. The team continued to improve in the defensive department, conceding only 63 goals (compared to 73 and 94 from previous years). However, our prolific scoring also dropped a notch, and in the end we only scored 66 goals on the year. Watson (16), van Engel (13), and Carter (12) continued to star up front, while Everington (9) contributed 5 from DFKs as well as 4 from open play from his AP/M© position. Everington also led the league with 56 key passes---a very useful skill in his role/position. Still, in the end we scored one too few goals in too many matches (15 draws) to move further up the table this year.

New goalkeeper Jordan Fell equaled Ashley Timm's 1.5 conceded/match, and will ultimately replace Timms full time at the end of this season. He's very similar to Timms currently, but has potential to improve beyond Timms' capability, so I plan on using him through the next season or two. Fullback Jason Crowe, at 39, has also played his last match, with replacement Jackson Ramm ready to step in full time. Crowe has served well, putting in another 26 matches played this season w/ 5 assists and a goal, but his physical stats have really deteriorated over the past 4 or 5 months. Ramm managed a very solid 7.1 AvR over 27 appearances, contributing 10 assists and 3 goals in league play.

My preferred formation for the season was a 4-1DM-3-2 (narrow)--again--and I used it exclusively throughout the season. Once again, it provided a solid defensive base for the team, however I need a playmaker to replace the transferred Penny from the previous season---someone who will be able to create some real chances. I've not found that player yet.

Due to some decent finances (and a half-way decent cup run), I managed to convince the board to make a couple of upgrades. The first (actually requested at the end of the previous year) was finished in December of this year, providing the team with some new youth training facilities (youth category rating is now Category Four). Hopefully they will help over the coming years. The second alteration was a request to relay the pitch. It took some convincing, and I had to play on the club's reputation vs our rivals, but the board finally caved in and agreed. The new pitch will be ready before the start of the new season.

PROMOTION/PLAYOFFS

Had hopes of playoffs, but too many draws in the middle of the season.

Cup Competitions

The FA trophy was a step back this year, back to a single match, this year against Blyth. A 1-0 loss away sent us packing early---however, due to the congestion incurred in the FA Cup, I didn't much mind going out early.

The FA Cup was really a wild ride this year. It featured a total of 6 matches (3 replays) before we even qualified for the 1st round proper. In the first match, we gave up an 88th minute equalizer to fellow VN Barrow at home, with the match ending in a 1-1 draw. In the replay at Holker Street, Watson scored the equalizer in the 32d minute to send us to extra time, and eventually penalties, after another 1-1 draw. Goalkeeper Timms saved the third shot of the shootout, and the team persevered to move to the 3rd Qualifying round.

The second pair of matches once again saw us play out a 1-1 draw in the first tie against lower-division Frickley, and we once again gave up a late equalizer (90+1 min) and had to endure yet another replay. The home replay went a bit better than the first, however, with two 1st year academy grads scoring in the second half (Lusamba and Watson) to spare us the agony of another 30 minutes of play. This win set us up against another lower division team---Chorley--where once again we game up a late equalizer (87th min) in yet another 1-1 draw. The home replay was yet another tense affair, with Watson scoring an 89th minute equalizer to force extra time. An early score (3rd minute of extra time) cemented our place in the first round proper -- three-hundred and thirty minutes and 6 matches in.

Round one saw us come up against a familiar opponent -- as with last year, we once again faced Macclesfield in the first round proper. This year, however, Macclesfield were down in the Vanarama North alongside ourselves. We'd already faced them once early in the season, a home match which ended in a 1-1 draw. I was already envisioning yet another draw and replay, and it seemed like this would be the case late in the match, when suddenly van Engel popped up with a goal in the 84th minute---the lone goal in the game, and we were suddenly through to the second round --- for the first time ever!

The draw was not very kind, with an away match away against League Two Fleetwood on the cards. I'd much rather have a home match against a L2 team if we're going to play one...but we would have to make the best of it. However, we did receive the good news that the match would be televised, and the £70,000 would eventually be put to good use. As expected, a very small crowd (only 880) ended up watching a relatively one-sided match, with the youngster Carter scoring a late consolation goal in a 3-1 loss. At least a home match would've likely drawn 1600 or so! Nevertheless, it was a good (if exhausting) run, and we well exceeded our expectations in the competition.

Additional Details

Team of the Season Everington was the top, with 9 goals and a 7.18 AvR

Best XI Inductees -- Four new players, with aging Crowe (101 appearances) finally hitting the list

Historical Best XI

Fans Player of the Season: Kegan Everington walked away with the honors this year, garnering 40% of the vote. With 5 goals from free kicks, and 4 additional goals from play, and a league leading 56 key passes, he was very solid and I hope for more of the same next year. John Lesley van Engel came in second with 25% of the vote, with Jackson Ramm, the upcoming right fullback a close third with 22% of the votes.

Top Academy Graduate:

S1: Robin Watson looks to be someone who will be useful in the coming years. Already potential starter material, the coaches figure that he could be useful late into our Varana Conference campaign.

S2: Arran Harding should excite fans for years to come, and he will make an excellent target man. I need to work on his pace a bit to get him ready for real action, but hope to feature him in a season or two!

S3: Robb Lynn --- possibly useful in a year or two. Will have to see if he develops enough...only has Vanarama North potential, and hopefully will be beyond that level soon!

Promoted from the Regional Premier Division Teams:

Margate, Solihull MOors, Hendon, Workington, Cambridge City, Matlock

League Winners (relegated)

EPL Man Utd (Swansea, Huddersfield, Derby)

Championship Blackburn (Millwall, Wigan, Portsmouth)

League One Preston (Burton, AFC Wimbledon, Coventry, Gillingham)

League Two Colchester (Bury, Gateshead)

Vanarama Conference Wrexham (Tamworth, Boreham Wood, Nuneaton, Dartford)

Vanarama North FC United (Worcester, Corby, Gainsborough)

Vanarama South Maidstone (Bognor Regis, Tonbridge, Wealdstone)

Cup Winners

English FA Cup Southampton

Capital One Cup Man Utd

Jonhstone's Paint Trophy Barnsley

English FA Trophy Wrexham (2nd consecutive season)

Euro Qualifcation

Champions League Group Stage: Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool

Champions League Best Placed Playoff: Everton

Euro Cup Group Stage: Southampton, Chelsea

Euro Cup Playoff:

Euro Cup 3rd QR: Newcastle

Euro Cup 1st QR: None

Continental Achievements

Chelsea -- Won European Super Cup (vs AS Monaco)

Newcastle -- Eliminated from Euro Cup (by Lech)

Man City -- Eliminated from Champions League Group Stage

Chelsea -- Won World Club World Championship (vs Seoul)

Tottenham -- Eliminated from Champions League Qtr Final (by Man Utd)

Man Utd -- Eliminated from Champions League Semi Final (By Juventus)

Man City -- Eliminated from Euro Cup Semi Final (by Arsenal)

Arsenal -- Won Euro Cup (Vs Liverpool)

Liverpool -- Eliminated from Euro Cup Final (by Arsenal)

Chelsea -- Eliminated from Champions League Final (by Juventus)

--

--

What's Next?

I'm content with the way the season played out, as we have met or exceeded all expectations, although I looked to have a shot at the playoffs at one point. Replacing the young midfielder Penny (still at Birmingham, though out on loan all season to a L1 club)is still a priority --- it is likely the one piece I need to push up the table. A few too many draws in the season due to late equalizers hurt, and I will concentrate on winning those matches this season. Nothing really spectacular out of the Academy this year, hopefully the new setup will start producing. Releasing some 4-7 first teamers this summer, I'll be looking to bring some replacements in (most of those being released were rotations and/or older first-teamers, so some young playmakers will hopefully turn up).

Career Overview

Season            Team                 League        Position(Predicted)         Achievements
2015/16	        Kings Lynn	     Vanarama North	19(21)
2016/17	        Kings Lynn	     Vanarama North	15(19)		
2017/18	        Kings Lynn	     Vanarama North	12(22)		         Vanarama North Overachievers!

Marine AFC

Season Summary 16/17

Vanarama North

Final Position 5th - lost in the play-off SF

Big improvements in second season. Reached the play-offs and managed to stop the economic rot and go break-even over the season.

That being said I won the 6 first games, so by then I'd started to imagine winning this league would be a walk in the park. Which of course it wasnt!

My only player with some class Michael Crank got injured in january and missed the rest of the season, so by then it was just a case of trying to scrape the results needed for a play-off spot.

My aim before the season was to bring in atleast 2-3 players of that calibre, but they were just nowhere to be found! Brought in a few new faces, some of them improved first XI, others have potential to. Will they reach that though training part-time with awful training facilities/coaches??? I pray to God!

I definately need to itensify the search for some solid midfielders and defenders in the summer.

Having come so close this year, I have ambitions to get promoted next season, bring it on!

Year	League	Pos.	Champ.L	Uefa	FA.Cup	Cap.One	JPT	FAT 	Achievement
15/16	Van N	19th	None	None	2ndQual	None	None	3rd Rnd	None
16/17	Van N	5th	None	None	4thQual	None	None	3rd Rnd	Lost play-off semifinal

Very difficult to stop set pieces - any ideas? I tried searching the forums but there's nothing obvious.

I had this issue at one point. I basically just drilled them at defending set-pieces in the tactics screen. After a few weeks, we started conceding far less.

Just had a somewhat weird game against Farsley in the FA Trophy, we scored thanks to their keeper hitting the ball at my Strikers head, my Striker then went off injured and his replacement managed to miss an open goal and to top it off we gifted Farsley a goal which takes the tie to a replay which is the last thing I wanted :(

[video=youtube_share;bGU8b_JCRPk]

That first one is a new one on me (reminds me of Gianluca Vialli's arse goal though).

The last one seems to happen too much for me, my centre back did a slight variation on it where he stopped running just long enough so that he could be considered last man by the referee and slid through the back of the striker getting himself sent off in the 5th minute.

So I've trawled through this thread and didn't see it but in case I've missed something does anyone have a save for Wingate & Finchley? Or Enfield? Or even Met Police?

Most of the uploaded saves are on the first page. If it isnt there, not much luck sorry :/

Unbelievable, but I reached the play-offs with Hendon in my second season. The key to this succes was conceding only 64 goals. That's half the amount of conceding last season.

I'm happy that I reached the play-offs, but I don't believe in promotion, because my head to head with the other contenders are terrible.

Thanks. They aren't there. Will run a holiday later and see if I can get any joy.

tip. holiday past the first season and try reloading for the second. I think the reload date is the 24th. read back on page 2-3 to double check that.

That way the really high rep teams who always get promoted go straight up and you have more of a chance at the lower ones. That being said, the rare teams are VERY rare this season

Ilkeston - Vanarama Conference North - 2015/16

So i didn't want to start posting till i was sure i was going to stay committed to playing this save, but since i just finished the first season, i guess it's time to get going

I took over management of Ilkeston: Profile

League Table

We started the season poorly, not winning any friendlies, nor the first three games of the season. But then we got going and went undefeated in September, and slowly climbed the table. We were second for quite a while, but had a bad run towards the end of the season and ended up fourth, meaning we were heading into the playoffs.

I was a bit worried about the playoffs going into them, since we hadn't won any of the last six games, but in the first game everything went as you could hope and we beat Tamworth

4-1. I fell good going into the second game, but suddenly found myself down 3-0 after 35 minutes. Luckily we answered quickly and ended up only losing 3-2 meaning we were going to the final to face Stockport.

The final started well with us leading 2-0 going into half-time. But in the second half we just disappeared and suddenly found ourselves down 2-3. I sent everyone forward on a corner in the injury time we get the equalizer!! The match ended up in penalties where we MISSED the first two. I was about to give up, by goalie pulled out two saves on their last three initial penalties, and we ended winning on the 7th round of penalties!!!! I may be bad at describing, but that was one of the most nerve wrecking matches i have ever had in FM.

Cups

Not much to report here, was eliminated in the 4th qualifying round for the FA Cup by Tamworth, and the 1st round of the FA Cup by Lincoln.

Transfers - The usual i guess, lots of players joining and leaving. Need to clean out more for the next season though.

Squad - To big and needs to be upgraded for the VC next season.

Finances - Decent finances, but the board just took out a big loan to finance building a new stadium.

Key Player Profiles:

Richard Davies - Very important player in the DM position. Key part of us conceding the fewest amount of goals in the VCN.

Mansour Assoumani - Was very solid throughout the season, and played almost every game due to his high natural fitness.

Eurico Sebastiao - My main striker and top goal scorer

David Morgan - Extremely solid throughout the entire season.

Other news:

We are building a new stadium. It will have a capacity of '>7175.

Is it normal for teams to build new stadiums so soon? Because this seems very sudden, as we averaged around 600 spectators last season.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference North    4th      Promoted via playoffs      

Next Season

tip. holiday past the first season and try reloading for the second. I think the reload date is the 24th. read back on page 2-3 to double check that.

That way the really high rep teams who always get promoted go straight up and you have more of a chance at the lower ones. That being said, the rare teams are VERY rare this season

Thanks. I'll give that a go. I'll be sure to upload any of those rare gems.

After 90 min. it was 0-0 in our 2nd leg at the semi play-offs, so extra times and perhaps penalty's wil decide who play the final. After 7 mins I Boreham Wood went 1-0 up, and I thought it as over. Changed tactics and went full on attack. A couple mins later 1-1 and 2 mins before the final whistle we scored the most important goal of the season 1-2.

We play the final against Havant & Waterlooville. They finished second in the regular competition. We are the underdogs.

Dulwich Hamlet - Vanarama Conference South - 2015/16

League - we exceeded the board's expectations but I'm pissed off we lost 5th place on the last day.

FA Cup - usual kingjericho, early exit to underdog at home.

FA Trophy - we gave Braintree a fight, but at home they were stronger.

Squad - quality is good, quantity is short. That's the recipe at this level.

Transfers - trying to get rid of high earners and dead wood, sign good players on low wages.

Finances - unless we draw a big club in the FA Cup things will only get worse.

Career overview

Season    Division                    Position   Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South   6th

Next season

I'm overall pleased with our season, so next season we're looking to improve.

Canvey Island - Sky Bet League 1 - 2021/22

After two successive promotions we were looking forward to a tough relegation battle.

League Table - this wasn't expected. We could have won it had we not failed to win our final three games.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - we lost to lower league opposition.

Capital One Cup - a repeat of last year's exit.

FA Cup - a decent run, just a shame we were drawn at home.

Transfers - some great free transfers as I brought in some much needed squad depth.

Squad - there's a handful of players who should be good enough, but I'll need some new signings.

Finances - the owners kept topping us up to avoid financial trouble.

Key Player Profiles:

Chris Long - top scorer again, but he's starting to find it tougher.

Robbie Gordon - a great new supporting striker.

Andreas Pereira - not the quickest, but he's playing well on the wing.

Miro Muheim - still playing well.

Rohan Ince - such an important player.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South    9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South    1st         Promoted as champions
2017/18   Vanarama Conference Premier  20th        FA Trophy finalists
2018/19   Vanarama Conference Premier  13th        FA Trophy finalists
2019/20   Vanarama Conference Premier  1st         Promoted as champions
2020/21   Sky Bet League 2             2nd         Promoted
2021/22   Sky Bet League 1             2nd         Promoted

Next Season

Once again we make the unexpected move up to a new league, so hopefully there will be some improvements in our scouting to allow me to bring in some new players.

I will probably post later today a "New Year Update", cause im in December now, but to adres few things i've read here

1. I dont concede (nor score) many goals from corners. It seems on normal level for me.

2. I dont see players conceding stupid own goals, maybe once.

I dont use any special tactic to deal with those problems, i just set up team like i always do in FM's and this year game feels perfect for me. Im not writing this to boast, just to say i honestly dont have those common problems, but i have no idea why :D

Archived