The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent most of last night getting to grips with the new features and played through my friendlies on and off between work this morning.

Finally got around to my first league game, against the team predicted to finish second and we absolutely blew them away. Long may this continue. My only concern is we have an ageing squad and the Greek second division is full professional, so asking young lads to step in from next season onwards may present a struggle.

1199350366_Screenshot2020-11-27at14_59_04.png.29f96ef4daeb1808fa6df506479ef136.png

2 hours ago, Shankly84 said:

Badge.jpg.d05ff865323ade7f3cf8b64b4ca4bd12.jpg

SEASON 11 - 2032 - ICELANDIC PREMIER DIVISION

LEAGUE TABLE  -  FIXTURES  -  FIXTURES -  PLAYER STATS  -  TEAM STATS  -  COMPETITION REVIEW  

MANAGER PROFILE -  CHARACTERISTICS  -  ATTRIBUTES 

CLUB PROFILE  -  GENERAL  -  FACILITIES  -  HONOURS  -  FINANCES  -  TRANSFERS 

LEAGUE CUP

Out the group stages this year with 5 wins from 5. We met Breioablik in the semi, who are one of the best teams in the country. We took them to extra-time, but unfortunately lost 1-0. Semi-final this year. Still never won this competition.

LEAGUE

A much better start in the league this year and a lot more consistency, despite 7 losses. We were always near the top of the table, but never actually looked like challenging. Valur and Breoiablik were always well ahead, but our 3rd placed finish was well deserved. Hopefully we can kick on next season and mount a bit of a title challenge.

ICELANDIC CUP

We seem to have a bit of a love affair with the cup, considering we've nver really challenged for the league. We reached the final for the 4th year, but were well beaten 3-1 by champions Valur.

THE PLAYERS

Long term goalkeeper Sigporson moved on and Andri Hilmarsson started his first season as number 1. The team has been almost all regens this season. My main man Gylfi Sigurjonsson was solid again and his centre back partner Hakon Ingi Leosson seems to be developing well, also. Kristofer Hinrikson was his usual self, with 23 in 32. He may find himself on the right wing next season, so will see how that develops. Kjartan Stefansson was his strike partner again and managed 20 in 25.

THE YOUTH INTAKE

Another 'golden generation' predicted. What an intake. 8 4* players and 8 players already at, at least 2*. I understand the ratings are all relative to the current squad, but at already 4* ability, Halldor Kjartansson will probably be next seasons centre mid, already scoring at just 15 years old.

380172779_SeasonInfo.PNG.e7fde59fe5f44bc5d7ec277d117b0bdd.PNG

Wow great intake ! You are going fast :) i'll try to join u soon in this icelandic challenge :)

By the way, anyone experienced terrible personalities in intakes no matter what you do? I changed five HoYDs and still there's so many unambitious personalities in my intakes. All staff have determined personalities aswell.

FM21 doenst start good for me...

Try Number 3 with Olimpo in Argentina is also done.

I overwrited the latest save, where I was already in late November.

The next one I had was after the start in August.

I forgot to turn on a rollin autosave after holidaying....

58 minutes ago, scarp said:

By the way, anyone experienced terrible personalities in intakes no matter what you do? I changed five HoYDs and still there's so many unambitious personalities in my intakes. All staff have determined personalities aswell.

Determined personalities for staff has Ambition that ranges from 1-11. It's not ideal.

It could be the reason that it trickles over to your youth intakes. If you want a better staff personality Fairly Determined or Fairly Professional.

Edited by hubwub
Added more explanation

10 minutes ago, hubwub said:

Determined personalities for staff has Ambition that ranges from 1-11. It's not ideal.

It could be the reason that it trickles over to your youth intakes. If you want a better staff personality Fairly Determined or Fairly Professional.

I worded it poorly, I meant that all my staff have positive personalities with high determination values. I can't check ambition can I?

Edited by scarp

The thing about youth saves, least in my eyes, is because you generally have the same players for years then the chemistry element plays a huge factor in the teams being able to progress regardless of attributes, especially in the most recent FMs were I believe more emphasis has come from harmony, morale, understanding of the tactic (we can see in pre-match with players in this current version), but also that with the option to facilitate boards into expections that suit the squad (e.g. for 10 years I had my expectation to be to bravely fight against relegation, despite being what would be described as top flight regulars).

Because of this, there tends to be strokes of luck that will rapidly progress a save, in my save in Romania last year it was pure pot luck of hitting form and finishing in the Championship group meaning that I finally got the large cash injection to take all youth facilities to the next level that became the catalyst for dominating the country.

If someone was scumming then it's really the wrong challenge for it. :D

1 minute ago, scarp said:

I worded it poorly, I meant that all my staff have positive personalities with high determination values. I can't check ambition can I?

Ambition is a hidden attribute.

Everybody's definition of what a positive personality differs.

Currently holidaying a back up save while I wait for the intake-bug to get hotfixed, sometimes I wish I could run two instances of the game so I can play while a different save holidays

Edited by witticism
spelling

1 minute ago, scarp said:

Okay then, obviously you know what I mean but hey lets nitpick my words lol

As far as I know ( and past experiences go ) director/head of youth/u19 staff are the main influences for intake personalities, I'm on the same boat as you tho, generally lacking in ambition but getting better every season.

2 minutes ago, scarp said:

Okay then, obviously you know what I mean but hey lets nitpick my words lol

I didn't mean to nitpick your words. I'm sorry if it came that way.

3 minutes ago, witticism said:

As far as I know ( and past experiences go ) director/head of youth/u19 staff are the main influences for intake personalities, I'm on the same boat as you tho, generally lacking in ambition but getting better every season.

Your coaching staff (MAIN/RESERVES/U19s) are the main influencers for your youth intake personalities. Another thing that your coaching staff could influence is the professionalism (hidden attribute) of your youth intake through their media handling style.

Depending on the type of media handling your staff has, it can lock the range as to which professionalism is in. Like a Reserved media handling will lock the professionalism of your player between 15-20.

I just need to figure out how to score goals and not lose to the better teams in the league. I think I can get to the end of the season, but I'll be cutting close for survival at this rate.

8 hours ago, joekim87 said:

Hello!

It looks amazing but I have no idea what those percentages and figures mean. Also, if it's not too much bother, how come some personalities are better for youth and others for senior players?

Thanks!

Senior and staff players need different hidden stats to perform on the highest level. Youth need for sure the Ambition - Prof. and Determination.

Percentages are calculated based on the fixed attribute range for every personalty.  If they score 5-20 , 5-20 and 5-20 on the above three , they have a bigger chance of developing as if they have a personalty with 1-12 , 1-20 and 5-10 for example.

South Shields 2023-24 Season Review

SSFC-new-badge-237x300.jpg

Fixtures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - we are great team if we only have to play one match per week.  Anything more than that and we start to struggle.

Table - a solid 6th place finish put us into the hat for the promotion playoffs

Playoff Tree - We jumped out to a 1-0 lead against Harrogate before allowing two late second-half goals.  A microcosm of our season.

FA Cup - Another solid run in the FA Cup.  Reaching the 3rd round before losing to Leicester

FA Trophy - Another quick exit from the FA Trophy.  It's a trophy that I have little time for.

Transfers - Just one player out on loan this season.  No sales.

Stats

Youth Intake - three ready-made players for the first team in this "golden generation"

Youth Intake DNA - best intake in terms of DNA

Players to Watch: Michael Wakefield 24A, Kevin Baynes 24B, Louis Cooper 24C, Oli Kettey-Gibson 24D, Joe Williams 24E

Best XI

Accolades

Moments to Remember

Head of Youth Development Poached - lost my HoYD as he went to be the manager of Brackley Town

New HoYD - had to downgrade from a "perfectionist" to a "fairly professional"

First International Player - it's only Gibraltar but he's still our first international player

Professional Status Request  - Someday the board will approve our request to turn pro or maybe I will get a new board

Youth Recruitment Request - slowly increasing the levels of our junior coaching and youth recruitment

337136232_2023-24SeasonbySeason.thumb.png.7dda9c8dfa2a84965155477bb68bc9ef.png

Sorry for asking something that has probably been answered loads of times.

When are we allowed to use greyed out players? Only if we can't put a first XI together?

I am extremely short of players until the first intake at least. Currently have 14 fit, but 2 of my subs are goalies.

Edited by vikeologist

Whilst Youth Development is a hot topic...

Would a resolute, but low JPA/PPP HOYD be better:

Spoiler

image.png.751b80150828979882ed59c6f756a9c0.png

Or a fairly professional, average JPA/JPP HOYD:

Spoiler

image.png.22369c52efc8b0519b54ed6b8dcae4cb.png

I am not just looking at these two, but curious to hear from those more experienced.

Edited by Anners

5 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Sorry for asking something that has probably been answered loads of times.

When are we allowed to use greyed out players? Only if we can't put a first XI together?

I am extremely short of players until the first intake at least. Currently have 14 fit, but 2 of my subs are goalies.

I don't unless I can't field 11 non-gray players. In FM20 I had a goalkeeper on right back for almost a season... I got relegated and fired though! I keep them on the bench, but only sub for injuries.

Edited by XaW

Just now, Anners said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

I am not just looking at these two, but curious to hear from those more experienced.

I would always pick the resolute one.

Resolute  = 15-20 prof. | 15-17 determination ( yours 16) and 6-20 ambition. 

Fairly pro = 15-20 prof. | 1-14 determination ( yours 11) and 1-20 ambition.

4 minutes ago, Anners said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Could you share what they have as a media personality?

If they don't have a bad media personality, I'd go with the guy with the resolute personality with 16 Determination.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this. Does the tactical style and preferred formation of the candidates match with what you personally employ in the game? That's a key factor. If you are missing players in a specific role and don't really want to worry about retraining.

Edited by hubwub

1 minute ago, XaW said:

I don't unless I can't field 11 non-gray players. In FM20 I had a goalkeeper on right back for almost a season... I got relegated and fired though! I keep them on the bench, but only sub for injuries.

I mean. I did the challenge last year, but that was big dogs Palermo. Not sure I ever even had grey players. But I might start putting them on the bench once the season starts, and like you only sub on in total emergencies.

1 minute ago, hubwub said:

Could you share what they have as a media personality?

If they don't have a bad media personality, I'd go with the guy with the resolute personality with 16 Determination.

Boyd (the first) - reserved.
Malbranque (the second) - level headed.

6 minutes ago, Anners said:

Boyd (the first) - reserved.
Malbranque (the second) - level headed.

Boyd is my choice. RESOLUTE and RESERVED that's jackpot, my friend.

Just because he has a bad JPP/JPA. You can always seek a second opinion with other coaches on your staff through the player's profile -> reports -> coach report. Your coaches will provide you feedback. Your other coaching staff could have a higher JPP/JPA than your HOYD.

1 hour ago, darren1983 said:

Take an afternoon off and it all kick off doesn't it? :D 

Obviously no way of knowing if people cheat, if they do they do, nothing we can do about it really. For me though, and I feel many others who do this each year will agree, it's the community that keeps me coming back each year, I've never completed this challenge but here I am every year trying it, I can still remember @Braumiller save in Sweden (I'm almost certain it was) years ago when he ended up with a strikerless formation and reading that through made me try this for the first time. I often will drift away over the course of the year and try the Ultimate challenge (A misleading name I feel after trying this so many times :D) or do a little save with Brentford (my team) but this challenge is always my main one every year and seeing the success of others is great but I really love the ones that, like me I guess, don't win it and keep coming back and chatting about their save - or in @Padders case just plays for like 250 years until he finally wins it and then the very next day fires up the new game and starts again. 

I think a normal save without cavaets is just so hard to get into. With a youth only you get a bit more attachment to the players and can't simply buy the success. If I do a transfers save then I usually have some rather lengthy rules in place to make it difficulty, the last save I did on FM20 was Birmingham City with only being able to sign players from the seven West Midland boroughs, as an example.

spacer.png

My end of season update is coming soon. However, I just won the CFA China League One on this match. I got handed two red cards. I lost my RB , so then I had to put one of my CMs as RB. Then I lost my AMR after the silliest tackle. I also would like to thank VAR for it awarded my team a penalty and my DC/ST scored the conversion. Then in extra time, I managed to score again with a lobbed pass over the middle to my ST. OMG. What a thrilling match!

I lost my RB and AMR for the last match of the season. Ugh.

15 minutes ago, XaW said:

Not looking good for me this season! #savescumming

5FdWQ8l.png

You are not alone....

image.png.710639b6c21efe6379c191c2c85204c5.png

I haven't got as far into the season, but this is going to be a fight.  At least I have one of my TNS games out of the way :rolleyes:

My kids are not handling things great so far, 3 red cards in 5 games :eek:

Edited by Braumiller

1433707177_RacingMechelen.png.3a1551dfa97fb98d73f3aa5416a85822.png

Racing Mechelen - Season 2025-2026 - 1th Amateur (Third division)

Predicted: 15th

Final position: 9th

I think we were very lucky this season. With only 5 wins in a season, normally I would have been relegated, but we also had 16 draws. Most of the game I started with 6 youngsters, and that was too much. The are all capable of playing on this level, but 6 under 18 players as a starter was just to much. But I didn't had any other option, as the older players were declining fast. I think I will have another 2 difficult season, but when I can hold all my players my team will be able to compete for promotion.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: We reached the 6th round, but the worst team of the first division, Westerlo, was just too stronge for us.

Youth intake: The preview was again a good one, and the actual intake was again a good one (unfortunally I forgot to take a screenshot of the intake). The screenshot of my 3 best players of the intake were also taken a couple months after the intake. The GK mentioned in the preview didn't showed up during the intake, and that is a big disaapointment as our first GK is alreade 35.

Dario Reynders (YP2a): AMR

Bjarne Nuyts (YP2b): AML, AMC, AMR

Kristof Geraerts (YP2c): DL

Transfers: None:

Finances: Even more red as last season. The board did put in a lot of money to keep the red numbers decend.

Our Under 18 team won the title in their division. So we also have a lot of talent in our youth teams.

24 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

You are not alone....

image.png.710639b6c21efe6379c191c2c85204c5.png

I haven't got as far into the season, but this is going to be a fight.  At least I have one of my TNS games out of the way :rolleyes:

My kids are not handling things great so far, 3 red cards in 5 games :eek:

The difference in quality is noticeable in Wales. Complaining seems to work though. Gotten in a couple of wins since my last post, so now I'm in a fight with Bala Town, Cardiff Met Uni, and Aberystwyth Town in the battle for survival.

They could literally sign a player or two on a free and it could turn them from relegation candidates to European hopefuls. It's how low the standards are in the Welsh Premier League I found when I last managed there as the Aberystwyth manager a few FMs ago. 

43 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

1433707177_RacingMechelen.png.3a1551dfa97fb98d73f3aa5416a85822.png

Racing Mechelen - Season 2025-2026 - 1th Amateur (Third division)

Predicted: 15th

Final position: 9th

I think we were very lucky this season. With only 5 wins in a season, normally I would have been relegated, but we also had 16 draws. Most of the game I started with 6 youngsters, and that was too much. The are all capable of playing on this level, but 6 under 18 players as a starter was just to much. But I didn't had any other option, as the older players were declining fast. I think I will have another 2 difficult season, but when I can hold all my players my team will be able to compete for promotion.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: We reached the 6th round, but the worst team of the first division, Westerlo, was just too stronge for us.

Youth intake: The preview was again a good one, and the actual intake was again a good one (unfortunally I forgot to take a screenshot of the intake). The screenshot of my 3 best players of the intake were also taken a couple months after the intake. The GK mentioned in the preview didn't showed up during the intake, and that is a big disaapointment as our first GK is alreade 35.

Dario Reynders (YP2a): AMR

Bjarne Nuyts (YP2b): AML, AMC, AMR

Kristof Geraerts (YP2c): DL

Transfers: None:

Finances: Even more red as last season. The board did put in a lot of money to keep the red numbers decend.

Our Under 18 team won the title in their division. So we also have a lot of talent in our youth teams.

Had great four or five season with Racing mechelen at FM19 with a custom database. Good luck ! Reynders looks good.

1 hour ago, sc91 said:

I think a normal save without cavaets is just so hard to get into. With a youth only you get a bit more attachment to the players and can't simply buy the success. If I do a transfers save then I usually have some rather lengthy rules in place to make it difficulty, the last save I did on FM20 was Birmingham City with only being able to sign players from the seven West Midland boroughs, as an example.

Yeah I've found when managing Brentford I tend to find it easy but just knowing I can go out and buy players for my system and while they are usually young players there's it doesn't take much to turn them into wonderkids while this, seeing a player at 16/17 and having to work out what their best role could be and how do you get them there is so much more fun for me. 

spacer.png

Zhejiang Yiteng F.C.

SEASON ONE - 2022 - CFA China League One

LEAGUE TABLE | FIXTURES | SQUAD STATS | COMPETITION OVERVIEW

MANAGER OVERVIEW: CHARACTERISTICS | ATTRIBUTES

CLUB PROFILE | GENERAL | FACILITIES | HONOURS | FINANCES

ALL TRANSFERS | RELEASED PLAYERS

CFA China League One

Started off the second half of the season winning, but then went into mediocrity by losing and ending up with a lot of draws. Managed to finish off the season strong with winning in October. My title deciding game was hilarious because two of my players got red cards and VAR helped.

Youth Intake

spacer.png

I'm satisfied with this youth intake that Li Gen (Fairly Determined / Media Friendly / 16 Determination) managed to give me. I was worried I was going to get more Unambitious players because I have two youth coaches that have Balanced personalities.

The three stand out players from me because I don't really trust the CA/PA being displayed are Zhang Lijun 22A, Chen Yong 22F, and Zhang Zuxu 22L. One that I'm slightly interested in is Tong Jiang 22M who has 14 Determination with Unambitious.

Squad

The off season has started and I'm probably getting rid of a lot of low determination / balanced older players. I don't think they are going to be great for mentoring. I already have one player who is unhappy Tian Yafei who wants to move to a bigger club. I hope that once we are in the Ping An CFA Super League, he won't be moaning as much.

spacer.png

Edited by hubwub
Fixed an image