The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, witticism said:

Oh that's a nice find, heading/strength can be trained with the additional focus, but tackling (iirc) cannot, so that's already set. Congrats

Thats what Im doin, he is currently on strength training.

He is basicly the reason I keep doin this challenge.

Its definitly a fun challenge, but I takes away the most enjoyable thing for me...finding gems and develop them.

Things are not looking good this season either. The bigger problem is that after we lost our goalkeeper before the season, we are leaking goals like crazy. I've got a feeling we are going down...

v79mDC5.png

3 hours ago, VillaSmith said:

Already bored of my Beta save so decided to finally give this a proper try. I had a bit of a go a few years ago with Dulwich Hamlet, but got upset when I was forced to sell my PL potential youth player for less than £1m after only a handful of games. Plus I never properly got in to it as I kept the in game editor on. This time though I feel the challenge will be a refreshing change to my normal saves.

UfbR2r8.png

Going with South Shields despite them seeming to be a popular choice this year. Originally wanted to be Tamworth as they were the closest thing to a local team, but I didn't load the Central Leagues properly so they had no players :( But having spent 4 years living in Newcastle, I feel an affinity with the teams in that area and even better they play in Claret and Blue!

Manager Profile

Club Vision

Club Facilities

I've had a bit of early luck with this save as South Shields seem to have gotten a decent player come through for them in the first season, I'm excited to see if I can make him into a good player for this level at least. And having played on this season a bit, his potential rating has gone up to 3.5/4.5 stars, so even better than the initial reports from when I took over.

Tunde Nwachukwu

And whilst I can't sign players, I have added some star power to my backroom staff

Darren Fletcher

Peter Crouch

And finally, as I mentioned I've played through the season a bit, mainly to make sure I was enjoying the save before signing up, but I've gotten far enough to get my Youth Intake preview and it looks very good, which was more incentive to continue this challenge!

CF Jason Gilchrist is a goal scoring machine for me in my save.  I've got Fletcher in the coaching staff too.

Just now, keeper#1 said:

CF Jason Gilchrist is a goal scoring machine for me in my save.  I've got Fletcher in the coaching staff too.

Only a couple games left in the season and he's just gotten his 40th league goal, he is amazing at this level, if ever I start a regular save in VNN/S, I'll definitely be signing him!

South Shields September 1, 2024 Update

1889300301_September12024Table.png.af56beb93ca8862e417f933e270701c3.png1551271630_July-August2024Fixtures.png.1df5929f0caea34b8231a7f3c84bbd7d.png

I've come to the conclusion that my central defensive problems come from two things: 1) the experienced players are any good and 2) the inexperienced players are good but make youthful errors

So, it is what it is at this point.  Just try to outscore the opponent right now.

1750571798_September12024Mentoring.png.135e848b8e5478424f8227e510ba8bf5.png

More of the same when it comes to mentoring too.

3 minutes ago, witticism said:

See, with that crossing and low finishing I wouldnt know what to do with him on the left, so I am keen to find out what your plans involve

I don't have a left winger at present. I'll see how it goes...

7 minutes ago, Slipky said:

If I sell a player with a loan back clause until the end of the season, or the next one, is that a breach of the rules?

Yup. It's only acceptable is the board accepts an offer with the clause included and you can't do anything about it, but even then you need to stuff him in the reserves and not play him a second. It would count as a loan in.

A better option is to arrange the transfer for the end of the season! ;)

Edited by XaW

2 hours ago, jmonfu said:

Hi All

I have a question, so I have 2 of my youth intake players who are fairly professional, and the best Senior member personality I have is Fairly Determined, yes its that bad!  As I understand it, Fairly Professional is a better personality than Fairly Determined.  So what should I do?  Should I completely pull them out of Mentoring?

I mean, if their determination is like 5 or something, putting them in a group with a F Det guy might be a good thing.

It's subjective that professionalism is better than determination anyway.

Personally, I value professionalism, but having a team of determined players can be useful.

It's not like having intake players who are Model pros, or something. I had a model something youth, and I basically invented social distancing years before we'd heard of COVID. 

1 minute ago, vikeologist said:

It's not like having intake players who are Model pros, or something. I had a model something youth, and I basically invented social distancing years before we'd heard of COVID. 

True, Model pro youngsters need to be as far away from mentoring as possible! When they are older and influential on the other hand....

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

oh wow what a player to get so early

I was so excited when I saw all those stars next to him. Unsurprisingly he got a contract slapped down in front of him immediately and was put straight in to the first team!

Although he does already have interest from some League 1/2 teams.

3 minutes ago, VillaSmith said:

I was so excited when I saw all those stars next to him. Unsurprisingly he got a contract slapped down in front of him immediately and was put straight in to the first team!

Although he does already have interest from some League 1/2 teams.

Fingers crossed you can keep hold of him

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

Finally got my best striker back from injury.... and he might be a reason we can avoid relegation...

image.png.fd211d7d943cbfc78e7de39257a0c582.png

11 goals in the last 4 matches!

Meanwhile, my guys are auditioning to be stormtroopers in starwars movies

image.png.62d58957a17078979deffa0f80eb4a91.png

The one that scores cant aim and the one that aims cant score, it is going to be a long season

FC United of Manchester ; season 2022/23

Errea is named new technical sponsor of FC United of Manchester!

League Table ; A very respectable 11th place finish in my first season at National League level. I was in the playoff spots for about 2 months from November to January but unfortunately my form tanked after Christmas, coinciding with mass fatigue across the team. 

Squad ; Decent squad although weak at the back. I really need to get some good DC new gens soon. The pick of last year's youth intake Derek Hardy has been a regular with Ireland u19s too.

Starting 11 ; He has also been one of the stand out performers.

Transfers ; I lost some young players on Non Contract terms to free transfers. This was a learning for me. I had wrongly assumed I could just sign them up to Part Time contracts when their youth contracts expired, but because their Non Contract was seen as a "new contract", they wouldn't enter negotiations. Losing Gascoigne in particular was a disaster as he was the 2nd best of my first youth intake and was a regular starter.

Youth Candidates ; Some very good prospects but no DC. Barry Mitchell goes straight into my starting 11 and Jac Mason into the first team as backup to Hardy.

Next season expectations ; The objective again next year is to fight bravely against relegation, which seems fairly reserved considering we got a top half finish this year.

7 minutes ago, witticism said:

Meanwhile, my guys are auditioning to be stormtroopers in starwars movies

image.png.62d58957a17078979deffa0f80eb4a91.png

The one that scores cant aim and the one that aims cant score, it is going to be a long season

This is mine, incidentally, David Williams 22g is the who scored all those goals.

mtsUXr2.png

UfbR2r8.png

Season 1 - 2021/22 - Vanarama National League North

League Table - Fixtures 1/Fixtures 2/Fixtures 3 - Squad 1/Squad 2 - Best XI - Transfers

ebdrMfU.png

6XDvlzf.png

s1uHWjQ.png

A good season that saw me sneak in to the playoffs with a great second half of the season, unfortunately my form fell away at just the wrong time and I lost to Chorley. Still it's a good platform to build from expecially with a good youth intake, but I've set the sights relatively low and would be happy with a mid table finish next year whilst I blood the younger players. Fortunately the youth intake seemed to fit nicely with my set up, however I could do with some right sided defenders. Also i will be holding on to Jason Gilchrist with an iron grip until I produce a decent ST, he was amazing with his 45 goals this season.

Youth Intake

Andreas Sofokleous [22A] - Elier Carril [22B] - Tony Veart [22C] - Jamie Rolls [22D] - Andy Ashby-Cesay [22E] - Thalis Mandraflis [22F] - Craig Machell [22G]

As previously posted, with a few of the better players linked too. A good intake, although most are let down by their personalities, but luckily Sofokleous has a decent one, as does Ashby-Cesay and Carril's is ok. I've signed all the players that came through though, just so that I have some depth in case any senior players decide they want to leave.

39 minutes ago, Cheez3y said:

I also got him in my recent intake:

https://i.gyazo.com/e96cd1c488f2e2474f5ae2adb7aea982.png

Not as good as Can, but he is developing.

Christ.... my second best natural centre back apart  has 4 heading, 6 marking and 10 tackling! that's forgetting the 5 pace they have to back up those stats.

Edited by Steveh171

Just now, VillaSmith said:

Holding on to Sofokleous suddenly seems a lot harder :(

Tf5NqLn.png

Although it will hopefully mean a decent windfall if he leaves.

Just put a sell on clause in and play the long game?  They will realise there potential more at a better club and potentially get you a windfall.

1 minute ago, keeper#1 said:

Ask for high next sale clause.

Just now, Steveh171 said:

Just put a sell on clause in and play the long game?  They will realise there potential more at a better club and potentially get you a windfall.

Yeah that's what I'll aim to do, I'd just hoped I'd have more than 3 months with him haha.

165px-Talleres_ba_logo.png

Club Atletico Talleres

2021/22 Pre Season

1696993798_PS1.PNG.cf73d400eadb3ddfc3f769ca723a7681.PNG

Well I can't argue with that pre season ahead of my first season at the club. Banging in the goals, hopefully that continues once the real stuff starts. 

Youth Intake 2020/21 

spacer.png

I've offered contracts to all of the youth intake as it's the first year. 

Martin Vilarreal - One of the two 4* potential players in this intake. Tricky one this as I don't play with a left footed on either wing in my current system so it may well be a case of retraining him to fit somewhere into my current tactic. His passing is already fantastic at 16 but sadly his vision really lets him down at just 5. I was thinking retraining him as a DLF, undecided right now. 

Marcelo Prieto - Now he can slot straight into my tactic as a right footed wide man if I was so inclined. Like the bravery. Poor balance and strength for such a big guy though. 

Juan Pablo Ramirez - Fantastic tackling and bravery. CB/DM/CM. Won't play him in central midfield though. Thinking CB more than a defensive midfielder. 

Juan Pavone - Potential future LB here. One of the better players in this first intake. 

Isaias Zalazar - I like his mentals. Those stood out straight away. Needs quite a bit of work on the physical side of the game but that'll come. 

Edited by craigcwwe

1200px-Alemannia_Aachen_2010_svg.thumb.png.f78bb55c627ec3272700293bd46d046d.png

Alemannia Aachen 2021/2022

Well, this will be my second attempt in this challenge. This time I'll be heading to Germany. In FM20, I had great fun with 1. FC Kaiserslautern with a youth only save. So a good reason to start a 'real' youth only save in Germany. I chose this club for several reasons. It's very near to Holland, I like the club colours, some Dutch players played for this club in the past and they got a very big stadium.
I can't wait to start!

906698127_TSVAlemanniaAachen_-6.thumb.png.4c8eba135ddc0355570389ad296dabd7.png

412256698_TSVAlemanniaAachen_-7.thumb.png.d2edadd02e06f8ebc6de515cd7204478.png

1359025967_ElwinBoersma_Profile-3.thumb.png.c5f50abbf246a97771c52be6330af90b.png

Edited by Winski