Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

9 minutes ago, FulchesterFred said:

I know. Haha. But FM isn’t real life. It’s coded. So therefore it must be coded in such a way as to stop the best team winning each match. It has to be.

so if that piece of code which levels the playing field is slightly overpowered then users would notice strange results. Which is what is happening.

there is no issue with having 40 shots v 1 shot and losing very occasionally. If it happens too regularly people will get annoyed. That seems to be happening 

Just think, with all the attributes in FM, the hidden one's too, home - away, form, player mood, morale, jadedness, team talks, weather conditions etc etc all affecting the players on the pitch, like a real football game, random or out of the norm things can happen

If you're losing 40 shots to 1 regularly, I can't see how the AI's to blame, you control half the players on the pitch, if you're the half having 40 shots & losing to 1 shot regularly, how's it anyone else's fault? But it easy to say the AI's OP rather than try & figure it out 

Edited by Johnny Ace

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Just think, with all the attributes in FM, the hidden one's too, home - away, form, player mood, morale, jadedness, team talks, weather conditions etc etc all affecting the players on the pitch, like a real football game, random or out of the norm things can happen

If you're losing 40 shots to 1 regularly, I can't see how the AI's to blame, you control half the players on the pitch, if you're the half having 40 shots & losing to 1 shot regularly, how's it anyone else's fault? But it easy to say the AI's OP rather than try & figure it out 

I still don't think users get enough quality in game feedback, but this is what Xg was introduced for, working out your actual shot quality. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I still don't think users get enough quality in game feedback, but this is what Xg was introduced for, working out your actual shot quality. 

That screen where it compares your XG against other teams in the league, the Aggressive - Clinical thing is really helpful. Maybe more should be made of it 

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

That screen where it compares your XG against other teams in the league, the Aggressive - Clinical thing is really helpful. Maybe more should be made of it 

It's my go to, especially in comparison to the other teams I'm up against. If I'm playing as Man United, I know I need to be scoring on a par with City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. If I'm not, it means I have to better defensively as a trend, otherwise I have narrower margins for success over a season. 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I disagree. If CCC didn't help people, XG is nothing more than a rebranded thing with slightly more information.

I mean it's not a shocker that shots which look good or have little opposition with either the GK being the only defender left or the player chose to fire and missed an empty net are basically CCCs and increase the XG.

IMO XG is the most useless stat ever introduced into football. You had more better shots and better chances? Damn you COULD have scored more lol. What's next? Water is wet or something?

46 minutes ago, saiyaman said:

I disagree. If CCC didn't help people, XG is nothing more than a rebranded thing with slightly more information.

I mean it's not a shocker that shots which look good or have little opposition with either the GK being the only defender left or the player chose to fire and missed an empty net are basically CCCs and increase the XG.

IMO XG is the most useless stat ever introduced into football. You had more better shots and better chances? Damn you COULD have scored more lol. What's next? Water is wet or something?

You're entitled to disagree. But CCC and xg are not the same thing. 

Just now, Haribo1681 said:

I agree with this on feedback, especially as a new player or one coming to 'modern' FM after years away. I'd like more qualitative feedback from your staff based on the data/metrics - things like your data analyst telling you that your three attacking midfielders are often taking up very similar positions or the opposition are regularly finding space down the left flank, for instance, so that you as the manager can then decide what to do with that information.

IMHO, there's currently stacks of data but very little information, much of which is either useless or a red herring, so often the only way to really understand what's happening in a game or with a tactic is to watch it playing out in real time, which is too time-consuming for many of us.

Absolutely. This is where the assistant manager in its current guise isn't good enough. Needs to be better, and be a fantastic tool for the user. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Absolutely. This is where the assistant manager in its current guise isn't good enough. Needs to be better, and be a fantastic tool for the user. 

At the moment it's essentially just noise, but the whole staff feedback piece could be a really rich insight into how tactics are working, where changes are needed and what decisions you make on the back of them. Factor in the ability levels of the staff involved and adds a reason to recruit good staff too. As things currently stand I can see little value in hiring good data analysts in the game and too much is expected of the manager to interpret all the numbers (but I might be missing something).

6 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

User deleted the entire thread...

It’s on SI. tough call though. They know they can make an assman who tells us everything tactical and training. It happens IRL and the manager is simply a motivator. But how would that make the game look? Basically a load of us waiting for Carlos Queroz telling us how to win the match.

5 minutes ago, FulchesterFred said:

It’s on SI. tough call though. They know they can make an assman who tells us everything tactical and training. It happens IRL and the manager is simply a motivator. But how would that make the game look? Basically a load of us waiting for Carlos Queroz telling us how to win the match.

And that's the root of the issue. How to give the user enough info, without giving them a "push to win"-button? I think everyone agrees that assman info should be improved, but how? I'm not sure, but I know that SI would like suggestions (in the correct sub forum) from anyone who has any.

Im not even write a big text about how terrible the match engine is this year and how unrewarding it is, im just gonna drop some images from my 1st 6 games of the league season.

PS: just wanted to add 2 more matches, what a great game nothing wrong with it

image.png.66c053a68ce2f14799b8b4e32421363f.png

image.png.51eb49972c157f43820e539a9be41496.pngimage.png.cc50ae0c9ef7ab5940e35b26e0409753.pngimage.png.bb6b35defaf8cb8757f6df21449cb0c7.pngimage.png.df550254d7ac62fbccf4898dfe74eee1.pngimage.png.bdaab99f9ee4528dd28da3ce086f6f1a.pngimage.png.33ae486c4f4cc2e9f96c5a60e55ef196.png

image.png.65fcbaafd6175a9593b4a869fdafdf39.pngimage.png.340b3719f49a06af1fb49e715a03f3b2.png

image.png

Edited by Bowachas

On 20/08/2021 at 12:49, themadsheep2001 said:

xG as well as any other analysis won't matter for as long as people don't have an understanding proper how to use it, like many in here, including more recent @Bowachas. Whilst I personally had applauded various TV programs to include it -- it seems not being used proper, likely just showing the stat for individual matches and no much talk or analysis about it to boot, whilst the biggest gain is in the long-term and quality analysis is  to be found elsewhere. 

Juve in 2015/2016 by match day #10 had just won 3 of their 10 opening games, drawing 4 and equally losing 4.

In doing so, they had underperformed their Expected Points by ~10 points in just those ten matches, losing and drawing matches they could have won based on xG in sequences (they actually managed to win that season, as xG had always suggested their performance had been much better than their results all along. There's a saying that the league table never lies. xG is one of those stats that's always challenged that (which is why bookies or bettors have always been supportive). LFC analyst staff also had something to say about Klopp's last season at Dortmund for sure... Still waiting for the Statsbomb season analysis of Brighton tho. :D 

And that's with respecting managers never solely managing by stats, but actual play they witness. If the game were able to replicate at least some of this, it would be a simulation of football.

Additionally, I stand by what I said about AI on the former page, despite the crappy and laughable AI conspiracies, this has to happen in accordance to Ai improvements too, otherwise it's just a one horse race to (spoon-)feed the human player's ass.

Edited by Svenc

On 20/08/2021 at 18:49, themadsheep2001 said:

Having the info is one thing, being able to respond correctly to the info is another thing. Just take formation/team shape for example. It is the most readily accessible information in the game. However the number of times I have seen FM YouTubers that fail to respond appropriately to these formation changes is shocking.

In game you couldn't buy him under 30mil euros. 

Boadu also you couldnt get under 50mil, he went to Monaco for 17mil.

Odegard under 70mil, arsenal got him for 35mil.

Will in FM22 prices for players be low like in RL?

On 20/08/2021 at 15:07, themadsheep2001 said:

This has long been my bugbear in FM- the feedback you get is, quite frankly, useless and often actively bad- telling possession based teams to just kick it long for example. One of the reasons I just haven't been able to get on with FM21 has been the already measly in-game feedback you got from the analysis screen has been stripped away. 

10 hours ago, KingCanary said:

This has long been my bugbear in FM- the feedback you get is, quite frankly, useless and often actively bad- telling possession based teams to just kick it long for example. One of the reasons I just haven't been able to get on with FM21 has been the already measly in-game feedback you got from the analysis screen has been stripped away. 

FM19 was my first FM - although I had played CM03/04 off and on over the years - and my first save I really found it hard because of that rubbish advice from my asst.  Struggled to score, mainly because I was always advised to play on "Defensive" - now I know to only ever consider that when I'm shutting up shop.

Sign new striker on non-contract terms.

First match, he starts but is still short of fitness levels. I substitute him after 72 minutes, he's rated a 6.8 and it's still 0-0 so I want some fresh legs.

The following conversation ensues:

"Why did you substitute me, I was playing so well"

"I wanted to preserve your fitness levels"

"Sorry, you're wrong"

"I'm your manager blah blah"

"I can't work with you anymore"

He leaves the club, two weeks after signing, because he was substituted after 72 minutes in his first game (while not match fit) and chucked a tantrum after a completely reasonable explanation.

Honestly guys, kill the player interaction system with fire and rebuild it from the ground up. It's cooked.

48 minutes ago, duesouth said:

FM19 was my first FM - although I had played CM03/04 off and on over the years - and my first save I really found it hard because of that rubbish advice from my asst.  Struggled to score, mainly because I was always advised to play on "Defensive" - now I know to only ever consider that when I'm shutting up shop.

First thing I do in a save is find an Assistant Manager with a similar tactical philosophy to that which I plan to use (Preferred Formation, Tactical Style, Playing Mentality, Playing Style, Pressing Style).  You're not necessarily going to find someone who hits all criteria, but someone who hits a reasonable amount is good enough.  For me, this is far more important than their attributes.  You will find that pre-game and in-game advice is a lot more suitable appropriate.

2 hours ago, Geoff Newman said:

First thing I do in a save is find an Assistant Manager with a similar tactical philosophy to that which I plan to use (Preferred Formation, Tactical Style, Playing Mentality, Playing Style, Pressing Style).  You're not necessarily going to find someone who hits all criteria, but someone who hits a reasonable amount is good enough.  For me, this is far more important than their attributes.  You will find that pre-game and in-game advice is a lot more suitable appropriate.

I think lots of people dont know this and it should be better explained. I didnt even think about this before

3 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Sign new striker on non-contract terms.

First match, he starts but is still short of fitness levels. I substitute him after 72 minutes, he's rated a 6.8 and it's still 0-0 so I want some fresh legs.

The following conversation ensues:

"Why did you substitute me, I was playing so well"

"I wanted to preserve your fitness levels"

"Sorry, you're wrong"

"I'm your manager blah blah"

"I can't work with you anymore"

He leaves the club, two weeks after signing, because he was substituted after 72 minutes in his first game (while not match fit) and chucked a tantrum after a completely reasonable explanation.

Honestly guys, kill the player interaction system with fire and rebuild it from the ground up. It's cooked.

Player interaction is a massive part of football (and any team sport) and unfortunately in FM I think it's the weakest part of the game and needs a rebuild.

Hopefully they continue to build on the changes they made for FM21.

On 21/08/2021 at 16:00, Bowachas said:

Im not even write a big text about how terrible the match engine is this year and how unrewarding it is, im just gonna drop some images from my 1st 6 games of the league season.

PS: just wanted to add 2 more matches, what a great game nothing wrong with it

image.png.66c053a68ce2f14799b8b4e32421363f.png

image.png.51eb49972c157f43820e539a9be41496.pngimage.png.cc50ae0c9ef7ab5940e35b26e0409753.pngimage.png.bb6b35defaf8cb8757f6df21449cb0c7.pngimage.png.df550254d7ac62fbccf4898dfe74eee1.pngimage.png.bdaab99f9ee4528dd28da3ce086f6f1a.pngimage.png.33ae486c4f4cc2e9f96c5a60e55ef196.png

image.png.65fcbaafd6175a9593b4a869fdafdf39.pngimage.png.340b3719f49a06af1fb49e715a03f3b2.png

image.png

I noticed how high your posseion stats are in every game. 

We need some kind of interaction regarding transfers and contract rejections ASAP. 

Eg. I bought an extra non-EU player, I knew he wouldn't be able to play due to some rules in the Italian league. I should be able to interact with him before buying and explain the situation, offer a loan option and let the player decide if it's a good move or not.

Another thing that needs improvement is when a player is nearing the end of its contract and have a chat to him explaining why I'm transfer listing him or why I transfer listed him because he didn't accept the contract that I offered.

1 hour ago, LucasBR said:

We need some kind of interaction regarding transfers and contract rejections ASAP. 

Eg. I bought an extra non-EU player, I knew he wouldn't be able to play due to some rules in the Italian league. I should be able to interact with him before buying and explain the situation, offer a loan option and let the player decide if it's a good move or not.

Another thing that needs improvement is when a player is nearing the end of its contract and have a chat to him explaining why I'm transfer listing him or why I transfer listed him because he didn't accept the contract that I offered.

The complexity of the game world far exceeds the options in player interactions.  It needs improvements desperately. 

1 hour ago, LucasBR said:

Agree player interactions can use work - in regard to the player not accepting/wanting too much money. I've found if I go to renegotiate and I don't meet the players salary demands and the negotiations are canceled, I can then transfer list the player and he is "happy" to move to a new club.

If I do it in any other order the player will indeed (assuming it's a good player or better) get annoyed and sometimes kick up a fuss that get's other players on his side.

On 24/08/2021 at 12:25, Platinum said:

Player interaction is a massive part of football (and any team sport) and unfortunately in FM I think it's the weakest part of the game and needs a rebuild.

Hopefully they continue to build on the changes they made for FM21.

What changes did they make for FM21, please?

58 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

What changes did they make for FM21, please?

Replaced the "tones" with gestures, changed the look of chats with players so its more "life like" with changes in body language as well. Added the player pathways (although they could have started in fm 2020). They are minor changes but hopefully it's just the beginning.

This Match Engine blows me away at times. I know I've had my complaints, I think the other 90% is superb

I'm just chilling, playing my lower league 4-4-2 save & just watch my CM here, the guy who scores. No PPMs on these guys or anything snazzy but this had me out my chair 

Ooof.gif.5cb0742b08f43c0b96c50076e2423ea9.gif

Absolutely mind blowing movement from very simpleton players. He's not a goal scoring midfielder either, that's only his 6th goal in 3 years 

Edited by Johnny Ace

4 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

This Match Engine blows me away at times. I know I've had my complaints, I think the other 90% is superb

I'm just chilling, playing my lower league 4-4-2 save & just watch my CM here, the guy who scores. No PPMs on these guys or anything snazzy but this had me out my chair 

Ooof.gif.5cb0742b08f43c0b96c50076e2423ea9.gif

Absolutely mind blowing movement from very simpleton players. He's not a goal scoring midfielder either, that's only his 6th goal in 3 years 

I remember seeing goals like this a couple of times per season in FM 2015 if you learn your CM "get forward whenever possible" and even better if you add "play one-two" on top of that. 

But that was back then when player traits meant something, nowadays it is almost impossible to distinguish players with and without those traits

Edited by Marko1989

58 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I remember seeing goals like this a couple of times per season in FM 2015 if you learn you CM "get forward whenever possible" and even better if you add "play one-two" on top of that. 

But that was back then when player traits meant something, nowadays it is almost impossible to distinguish players with and without those traits

He doesn't even have that, he's just a CM(S), I think he's using his limited AI brain there, thinks there's no one forward he & just chances it 

I've had my first ever son  too now, in any FM, ever

Son.thumb.png.d4e7c641e8bb2c71ac98d8fe6c3e0572.png

Son2.thumb.png.b7217b9bad9b82f6e3f544b97df7d3ef.png

Looks pretty bad compared to the intake but he'll have a contract for life. South African's a bit random, must've been from that bird a few years ago :D

Edited by Johnny Ace

been playing for 7 years, how are set pieces still so trash? throw-in turnover rate is way too high, there's like no movement from players to get free to receive a throw-in which results in an interception. lone striker still coming short for throw-ins no matter what you have his instruction set as. post set piece positioning is horrendous even though you set them up to be close to their original position, they still scramble to cover for each other and end up in the wrong position; heres an example of RB (rivera) deciding to cover for LM that's staying up front which results in an easy goal. 

On 21/08/2021 at 21:38, Svenc said:

Juve in 2015/2016 by match day #10 had just won 3 of their 10 opening games, drawing 4 and equally losing 4.

In doing so, they had underperformed their Expected Points by ~10 points in just those ten matches, losing and drawing matches they could have won based on xG in sequences (they actually managed to win that season, as xG had always suggested their performance had been much better than their results all along. There's a saying that the league table never lies. xG is one of those stats that's always challenged that (which is why bookies or bettors have always been supportive). LFC analyst staff also had something to say about Klopp's last season at Dortmund for sure... Still waiting for the Statsbomb season analysis of Brighton tho. :D 

Totally missed this season Preview of Brighton of theirs. (SI gerally can take a couple cues off such pieces and how to improve the data analyst module in the future).

Brighton & Hove Albion: Season Preview 2021/22 | StatsBomb

For the record, Brighton according to xG/xPoints should have finished fifth rather than the relegation zone, showing some of the league's best xG difference all throughout and undperforming their Expected Points tally by a whopping ~20 points EPL xG Table and Scorers for the 2020/2021 season | Understat.com. In other words, time and time again they were denied points despite creating the better chances. How much this was down to simply "bad luck" and how much down to a lack of skill (SEVERAL players underperforming their xG, including their forward Maupay), will probably be seen this term, for which they have started a tad better in terms of points (but 3 games really ain't much to analyze about). As said, a single season is anything but long-term, for which such data is most useful. They seem on the lookout to add yet another forward to their roster, so...

Edited by Svenc

I have played the series for many years and I'm very pleased with all the improvements made so far. But i think this game lacks a huge concept to make it more realistic. And i don't understand why SI don't bring it to this game after developing 3D match engine years ago.

"Managing training on training ground."

In real football; managers train players on the training ground to see its impact and make decisions and implementations. Training is the foundation of football. But unfortunately we have to do this fundamental in the background on FM. We can play our matches on 2D & 3D engine thanks to the game producers. But we train players with just setting coaches workloads and setting our desired regimes with buttons to do the training in the background. Ok, this is helpful and not time consuming, but don't we deserve more realism?

Can you please consider the potential of this. We can work different styles, regimes, movements, player tendencies, set pieces, etc. with seeing their impact on training ground and than we can decide and implement what is beneficial.

I don't want to be misunderstood, I just can't understand why this development, which can bring the game to its potential, was never considered. Maybe it was considered but abandoned, but I did not come across it anywhere.

1 minute ago, zabyl said:

I have played the series for many years and I'm very pleased with all the improvements made so far. But i think this game lacks a huge concept to make it more realistic. And i don't understand why SI don't bring it to this game after developing 3D match engine years ago.

In real football; managers train players on the training ground to see its impact and make decisions and implementations. Training is the foundation of football. But unfortunately we have to do this fundamental in the background on FM. We can play our matches on 2D & 3D engine thanks to the game producers. But we train players with just setting coaches workloads and setting our desired regimes with buttons to do the training in the background. Ok, this is helpful and not time consuming, but don't we deserve more realism?

Can you please consider the potential of this. We can work different styles, regimes, movements, player tendencies, set pieces, etc. with seeing their impact on training ground and than we can decide and implement what is beneficial.

I don't want to be misunderstood, I just can't understand why this development, which can bring the game to its potential, was never considered. Maybe it was considered but abandoned, but I did not come across it anywhere.

This isn't feedback, but a suggestion, so would be best to post in the feature suggestions section of the forum. :thup:

1 minute ago, zabyl said:

You would be best to repost this in the Features Request forum so that it can be viewed.

3 hours ago, zabyl said:

Completely agree with this the training ground is where you test out your tactics before trying them in a match. In FM you test our tactics in matches before ever seeing what it might play out like which doesnt really make sense.

As other have said, best to make a feature suggestion about this. SI are aware of this suggestion but my impression has always been that they arent sure how to actually implement it. In my opinion we should be able to view Practise Matches when it is scheduled in the training calendar as that is the simplest way.

6 dakika önce, Platinum said:

Completely agree with this the training ground is where you test out your tactics before trying them in a match. In FM you test our tactics in matches before ever seeing what it might play out like which doesnt really make sense.

As other have said, best to make a feature suggestion about this. SI are aware of this suggestion but my impression has always been that they arent sure how to actually implement it. In my opinion we should be able to view Practise Matches when it is scheduled in the training calendar as that is the simplest way.

I created a thread on features request. I hope someone from SI can give it a chance. Because training in FM is not managed by user.

For example, if i train a transition-press regime, how can i see the impact before a match? Maybe it is not suited for my team. For another example; if i started to manage a new team and i wanted to decide which player would be my main striker or creator without trying many players on different formations / games or i want to see someone to fit on a position he doesn’t know before using him in a match. More examples can be added.

Training in FM21 or previous series is not very helpful to my playing style. Because i play this game with disregarding player attributes which is the realistic way.

On 30/08/2021 at 19:08, Marko1989 said:

I remember seeing goals like this a couple of times per season in FM 2015 if you learn your CM "get forward whenever possible" and even better if you add "play one-two" on top of that. 

Then you're not doing it right because I'm putting traits on pretty much all players which match my tactic and they all do exactly what the trait is meant to do. I swap out for my sub in the same position and he doesn't have the trait and he plays completely differently.

1 hour ago, aLiwatfordfc said:

Something that has irritated me a lot over the past few editions is Liverpool's transfer activity on the game. Every time they sign Lautaro Martinez and other top players in the 2nd summer window. In real life they very rarely spend top money, why does this happen so much in the game? Not realistic and needs to be fixed for the next year 

English clubs have money, and when the AI has money it goes into the budget.  When there's money in the budget it gets spent.  It's less about Liverpool being unrealistic and more about squadbuilding generally.

10 hours ago, Grifty said:

Then you're not doing it right because I'm putting traits on pretty much all players which match my tactic and they all do exactly what the trait is meant to do. I swap out for my sub in the same position and he doesn't have the trait and he plays completely differently.

What is there not to do right. I clearly remember seeing in FM 2015 different goals and style of play between inside forwards who had "go forward whenever possible" and "shot with power", and between inside forwards who didn't have those traits. In fm 2021 I don't see that difference. 

I think I even have some video of goals from a inside forward with those traits, if I find it, I will upload it.

Hi,

I would like some help regarding something that looks like a bug and it's driving me crazy!

I was able to change all club logos/icons through a classic megapack that I downloaded. The strange thing is that the national teams logos/icons are also included in the pack but those are not updated in the game User Interface.

As you can see in the following images, I get these national team assets:

france-logo.thumb.png.6deed794d888660580fa0eece5ee908e.png

france-icon.thumb.png.6174201e6535875e235453f9a871eb9e.png

In theory, I would just need to update the config.xml records as:

<record from="team_logo" to="graphics/pictures/nation/team_id/logo"/>

but this does make no effect in the national team detail page.

Browsing several places I discovered that if I used instead:

<record from="team_logo" to="graphics/pictures/team/team_id/logo"/> (replaced "nation" with "team")

I got the following behaviour:

france-team-logo.thumb.png.3be3cca8e2fd02e1f12594eabf0e1283.png

france-team-icon.thumb.png.04c13943b51bb91dcb5e4a1a1b9090e8.png

I think that this problem is preventing me from seeing for example the national emblems on the player details page.

Has anyone stepped into something like this? I can't even change the flags through <record from="team_flag" to="graphics/pictures/nation/team_id/flag"/> so I'm really desperate.

Hope someone can help me with this issue, it's really annoying!

Thanks in advance, happy FM to everyone!

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

Has anyone seen an overhead kick or a hand ball in the box lately?

I saw them often enough in earlier versions but don't think I've seen one of either in final version

I see handballs fairly often.