The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

6 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I hope England look to the last major trophy won by a national team from the British Isles and take inspiration:

GettyImages-57603573-e1498222952949.jpg.c8bb5c93675525ba34243e93f9433822.jpg

Scotland's heroics in the 2006 Kirin Cup eclipsed Italy's triumph in the relatively minor World Cup that year. We've tasted history. Now it's your turn. It might only be the Euros, but that's no reason to turn your nose up at it. You might get your chance in Japan one day...keep believing.

Under 20s World Cup probably trumped that by being a higher standard. And the Toulon tournament.

Kirin Cup is so rubbish even Boro have won it!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, craigcwwe said:

The what cup? :D 

It's basically like the World Cup, but much more important. Clubs sides and international teams have played in it. So it's much, much harder. 

The mighty team of '06 must surely go down in history as one of the greatest. Guys like Gary Teale, Grame Murty, Scott Severin, and Lee Miller; a pantheon of talent. 

Just now, Tony85 said:

Under 20s World Cup probably trumped that by being a higher standard. And the Toulon tournament.

Kirin Cup is so rubbish even Boro have won it!

Please! I've had harder ***** than the u-20s World Cup and Toulon tournament!

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

A 3 team round robin isn't a cup. Winning another trophy on the back of a 0-0 draw I see. 

It's a cup. Well, it's not cup shaped, but it's a proper trophy. Three teams, thirty-two teams, mere formalities! We went all the way!

4 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Do it. Do a VamPook

He's furious after all the bookmarking he'd been doing. Chuck it in the bin mate

LMAO

I'm not even anti-England

I always support the perennial underachievers in international tournaments

I couldn't be bothered to argue then, but didn't realise making a post about the absolute borefest tactics(ask any neutral) in the group games or believing France were a stronger team equates to shitposting about England

2 minutes ago, VamPook said:

LMAO

I'm not even anti-England

I always support the perennial underachievers in international tournaments

I couldn't be bothered to argue then, but didn't realise making a post about the absolute borefest tactics(ask any neutral) in the group games or believing France were a stronger team equates to shitposting about England

You made a post about how you were looking forward to quoting people getting excited ffs :D 

2 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

It's basically like the World Cup, but much more important. Clubs sides and international teams have played in it. So it's much, much harder. 

The mighty team of '06 must surely go down in history as one of the greatest. Guys like Gary Teale, Grame Murty, Scott Severin, and Lee Miller; a pantheon of talent. 

Right. How does one qualify for this cup?

Edited by craigcwwe

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Right. How does now qualify for this cup?

Kirin Cup you have to be invited by the Japanese. My favourite edition was in 2011 where every single game finished 0-0 and the three countries all agreed to share the trophy :D 

2 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

It's quite exclusive. You get invited on merit. Zico, Batistuta, and Cantona consider the tournament career highlights. Read into that what you will! 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Kirin Cup you have to be invited by the Japanese. My favourite edition was in 2011 where every single game finished 0-0 and the three countries all agreed to share the trophy :D 

I see gents.

Sounds a bit elitist. 

3 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

He's not the only embarrassment named Lee :D

When I used to watch it regularly he seemed like one of the more sane and level headed ones for the first 6 months or so he was on. It all went downhill for him when Robbie hosted some awards show and gave out trophies etc to every regular but seemed to forget Lee Judges existed and didn’t acknowledge him at all. 

He ended up apologising to him but from then on it felt like Lee just seemed to deliberately get more and more outlandish and controversial to ensure he would still be a regular on there and get TV time.

1 hour ago, Bootador said:

A 3 team round robin isn't a cup. Winning another trophy on the back of a 0-0 draw I see. 

1 hour ago, craigcwwe said:

Right. How does now qualify for this cup?

I think the format is less of an issue than the selection criteria of "teams the Japanese think they can beat".

Apparently Algeria's B team played in it. And Spurs. Algeria B didn't lose 4-0 though,,,

Edited by enigmatic

53 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

He's not the only embarrassment named Lee :D

How utterly broken do you have to be as a football fan to not cheer a goal for your country because they play for your rival ffs :D 

52 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I think the format is less of an issue than the selection criteria of "teams the Japanese think they can beat".

Apparently Algeria's B team played in it. And Spurs. Algeria B didn't lose 4-0 though,,,

Bet they couldn't even win that.

6 hours ago, Rebs said:

Are we getting a bank holiday you reckon? They'd surely have to announce it tomorrow. Don't think we will. We're not are we :(

Read earlier that it could be in August. 

Hope it isn't Monday as I've now managed to book it off, plus I don't see how it's possible to announce one the night before anyway.

6 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Public holiday here in NI thanks to our backwards tradition of celebrating "the glorious twelfth" :D

*shudders.

I hope they've come to their senses and stopped the Scottish tribute act to this from going ahead this year. Glasgow is a horrible place to be on such days. I can only imagine what Belfast must be like.

It's a day off I suppose! :D

59 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

*shudders.

I hope they've come to their senses and stopped the Scottish tribute act to this from going ahead this year. Glasgow is a horrible place to be on such days. I can only imagine what Belfast must be like.

It's a day off I suppose! :D

I tend to stay away from it all, as best I can. I think there are still some Scots heading over from what I read though :D

I still can't believe England are in the final. Like in my mind I'm aware England are in a big game Sunday but I can't compute it's the actual final. My mind is like 'you wanna double check, you sure it's not a Semi Final' :D

I've sat through so many terrible tournaments in my life. I'm going to enjoy and saviour every moment Sunday, win or lose. 

9 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I still can't believe England are in the final. Like in my mind I'm aware England are in a big game Sunday but I can't compute it's the actual final. My mind is like 'you wanna double check, you sure it's not a Semi Final' :D

I've sat through so many terrible tournaments in my life. I'm going to enjoy and saviour every moment Sunday, win or lose. 

I'm the same, I really don't think it's quite registered yet. We just don't this do we :D 

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Forgot he was in the squad tbh :D 

Nice thing to say though 

I'm glad the players who haven't played at all/not much are still being praised publicly by Southgate et al. The togetherness of the squad is incredible especially when compared to the early 2000s. 

53 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Won't sink in for me until the program starts Sunday night. 

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

It's crazy. 

When I was growing up I kind of just accepted Leicester and England would always be a bit rubbish but it's what you do as a football fan to still support them anyway.

The last 5 or 6 years it's just been utterly surreal seeing both England and Leicester do so well.

Cannot imagine being told as a kid Leicester would win the FA Cup and England might win the Euros in the same summer haha.

3 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

It's crazy. 

When I was growing up I kind of just accepted Leicester and England would always be a bit rubbish but it's what you do as a football fan to still support them anyway.

The last 5 or 6 years it's just been utterly surreal seeing both England and Leicester do so well.

Cannot imagine being told as a kid Leicester would win the FA Cup and England might win the Euros in the same summer haha.

City were relegated to Div 2 and England lost on pens in 1998 

23 years later, City win the league, lose a CL final and England are in the Euro final :thup: