Football Manager 2022 Headline Feature Blogs

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does, just not on a separate screen.spacer.png

Edit: There's a scroll bar on the right in that image Miles posted, so it's not a separate screen but 100% exactly the same as it is in FM21 under Rules tab.

Edited by (sic)

5 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Dynamic Youth Ratings:applause:

s*** up and take my money:D

The game could have been FM21 and just that update and I'd be happy! :D

I feel that dynamic youth rating deserved a spot in the second video with the new features, or at least a blog post... but hey, I'll take a tweet from Miles. This is really a good feature! Why on earth they don't promote it more in the community?

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

Dynamic Youth Ratings:applause:

s*** up and take my money:D

What does this feature means exactly? That we don't need to assume a club from a specific league to make the league and country grow to make better players?

Gerade eben schrieb renato.:

What does this feature means exactly? That we don't need to assume a club from a specific league to make the league and country grow to make better players?

Down to my understanding it means that if you manage a small/weak Nation like San Marino and improve them massively through titles etc. that this seems to have an effect on the youth ratings. So to my understanding this would mean that those Nations will grow with your success and produce better Newgens in general. This is just amazing for every player who does a long-term-career or "build-a-nation"-save. 

6 minutes ago, renato. said:

Youth Rating is a numerical value that is one of the main factors determining the quality of newgens coming through in a nation. Until now, this value was static, meaning no matter how good you did with a nation, quality of newgens would always stay similar. Dynamic Youth Rating, however, changes this completely. We don't know exactly to what degree you can improve or worsen it yet and how long changes would actually take to notice, but it's amazing news for people doing long-term saves in lesser nations. Should make the whole in-game world more unpredictable and interesting.

My instinct previously regarding FM22 has been to 'skip a year' and stick with 21. I have only just got settled into an enjoyable save and haven't felt any reason to 'upgrade'.

That is, until seeing this dynamic youth rating feature. Hugely exciting, and should make long-term international management saves (and presumably club saves in nations with low reputation leagues) much more meaningful. I'd like to see if there's any other improvements to the international management experience on 22 but given how big an upgrade this could be, I am now leaning towards buying 22 upon release.

Watching the stream, and you can really see the difference with the new animation engine. I’ve noticed so many good things already.

They also touched on the new transfer values, which seems a bigger change that it initially looks, so see how that plays out.

But with the new animation engine and now the dynamic youth ratings, they are 2 pretty big changes and potentially massive improvements. I don’t get why people moan all the time ;)

I must say...just the match/animation engine stuff alone has got me excited for this game. I can't believe all the changes that were made there, and I can't wait to see the most realistic version of football ever simulated by software.

The rest is just the cherry on the cake. Well done, SI!

On 15/10/2021 at 19:01, Daveincid said:

Down to my understanding it means that if you manage a small/weak Nation like San Marino and improve them massively through titles etc. that this seems to have an effect on the youth ratings. So to my understanding this would mean that those Nations will grow with your success and produce better Newgens in general. This is just amazing for every player who does a long-term-career or "build-a-nation"-save. 

Wasn't this always the case though? Hence why the San Marino challenge existed?

I remember getting Iceland to be full of wonderkids after dominating the Champions league with my Icelandic team for 20 years

vor 1 Minute schrieb trevjim:

Not really. There was some improvement possible to a certain degree but not that accurate as it might should be when you dominate world football with San Marino. It seems this feature would make that possible.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb trevjim:

I remember getting Iceland to be full of wonderkids after dominating the Champions league with my Icelandic team for 20 years

Of Icelandic newgens?  

39 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Not really. There was some improvement possible to a certain degree but not that accurate as it might should be when you dominate world football with San Marino. It seems this feature would make that possible.

Of Icelandic newgens?  

Yea. I improved the league and national team rep so more and better Iceland regens came through. I don't see how it's a new feature

vor 7 Minuten schrieb trevjim:

Yea. I improved the league and national team rep so more and better Iceland regens came through. I don't see how it's a new feature

I haven't seen such a massive improvement of newgen-quality that a lower rated Nation is able to produce much higher quality and especially higher quantity of players in FM21. 
They wouldn't announced it as a new feature if they haven't changed something crucial under the hood.

@XaW you are the expert of those youth-challenges^^ Does the quality and quantity really improved massively with success in FM21?

Edited by Daveincid

11 minutes ago, trevjim said:

If you improved the league reputation, and more teams in the league improved their youth coaching, recruitment and facilities that can have a good effect on youth players. However, the youth rating is a fixed variable (in FM21 and previous) that impacts heavily. So while it more of less was possible to improve a nation to a certain degree, it was impossible to get the average Icelandic intake anywhere close to for example Germany. With the change, that variable is no longer fixed and will instead change year to year (likely at a glacial speed, as it should!), but if you make Iceland a regular CL winning country, then it could be possible after a long, LONG time going forward in the future.

The dynamic youth rating is the single most important thing for me in this release, as I almost only play youth-only challenges now and very often in small countries trying to build them up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd be more than happy with FM21 with this feature only added. And I do realise the majority of FM players will not agree with me on that! :D

Edit: @Daveincid - I already replied here, just before you tagged me! ;) 

16 hours ago, trevjim said:

I played until 2046 with the San Marino Challenge in FM19.  I had a dual save - San Marino Calcio in the Italian leagues and also San Giovanni in the San Marino League.

My experience in terms of producing top intakes was it felt tied to the reputation of the San Marino League.  Most of my San Marino Calcio intakes in Serie A after winning the title 14 years in a row and 7 Champions Leagues were awful.  My facilities/junior coaching etc. were maxed out - and I had a superb HOYD.  I did get maybe 4 or 5 Serie A level talents - 2 of which were well on their way to being world class players (one of whom was a keeper who saved 3 pens in a World Cup final penalty shootout, which we won!).

The quality of intakes from the San Marino League went up slowly and steadily over the long save as the league rep grew - and I even started to get some players who top clubs signed (one went to Juve and looked like he was going to develop really well).

With one club in the Italian league system - and the game treating them as Italian other than the nationality of the intakes, it made it different to your Iceland save - same with Andorra (FC Andorra in Spanish league).  I did try the Liechtenstein Challenge in FM21 - and with no Leichtenstein league at all - I found the intakes with FC Vaduz were really good from the start (and it made it too easy - and no, I don't know what I would want it to be as hard as the San Marino Challenge!!) - I assume as the intakes seemed linked to the Swiss League's rep.

What I didn't find was an improvement in youth intakes when the National Team started to win more.  I would say the NT's results were really good for the last 6 years of the save - but that didn't seem to do much.

Writing about this means I'll probably fire up FM19 tonight!  :cool:

I just wished little things were fixed rather than little things added. 

Extra text on news items - I mean come on. 

How about fixing little things like the AI continually changing players squad numbers every season? 

It doesn’t need lots adding right now, it needs lots fixing. 

Edited by DP

4 minutes ago, dresden said:

"Our attacking statistics are interesting."

"Our attacking statistics are not very interesting."

Looks like we'll be bombarded with that for a few years longer until they eventually make it work in a meaningful way.

It just feels like clickbait - and not very good clickbait at that.

Why exactly are our attacking efficiency stats interesting? Why exactly should I have a closer look at our possession stats? I'm sure we would appreciate a little more context than, "Just look at the charts, boss."

Here are some observations from FM21 that I hope can be improved upon in FM22:

- The AI for opposition managers needs to be improved. For example, many preferred formations are incorrect and the tactics, team selections, philiospohies and signings of managers should be better replicated in the game.

- Too many unrealistic managerial appointments such as Sean Dyche as England manager and the likes of Klopp and Guardiola managing teams outside of the very top clubs in Europe.

- Top managers moving clubs far too often and too many managerial changes.

- The majority of regens have very poor correlations in attributes. For example, players with finishing/passing/crossing of 8 and technique of 13+.  Agility and balance should be more closely aligned.

- Too many players with incorrrect attributes. For example, many 6 foot plus players with jumpring attributes of less than 10.

- Too many top level players with poor attributes for balance and determination

- Too many top level full backs and wingbacks with poor attributes for crossing

- Too many fullbacks without competencies in the wing back positions. All fullbacks should also be given competencies in the wing back positions and there should be more fullbacks that are also natural wingbacks

- In general the stats for top level fullbacks and wingbacks are very low, especially in attributes such as crossing, dribbling, positioning and passing.

- Too many GKs have poor throwing stats and the too many young goalkeepers start with very low stats for positioning and anticipation.

- There are too many top level strikers with finishing attributes of 12 and below. This is unrealistic.

- There are not enough goals scored from direct and indirect free kicks. The stats from this should be more reflective of the leagues.

- Too many goals from far post corners and very few goals from near post corners

- Too many inaccurate attributes. For example, international players with technique stats of 10 and below

- The hidden attributes for important matches should increase or decrease with experience and should not be a fixed attribute

- The hidden attributes for consistency should increase with experience and should not be a fixed attribute

- Injury proneness attributes should change depending on the quality of the medical staff and medical facilities

- There should be greater increases in mental attributes with experience, such as decisions, positioning and anticipation

- Improved crowd effects, noises, chants, banners etc would be a good addition to FM22

-Dedicated set piece coaches would be a good addition to FM22

- Too many of the attributes for coaches are very inaccurate and way too low. Attributes of coaches should increase as their coaching qualifications increase. Attributes of coaches should increase with success and experience at higher levels. The current ability stats for coaches should increase with their coaching qualifications, success and experience at higher levels.

- In addition to player preferred moves there should be specific instructions for players. For example: get forward whenever possible, cut inside from the wing, bring ball out of defence etc

- The penalty attributes for youth team players is ridiculously low. 

- In general the attributes for youth team players are way too low (8 and below for youth team players in the Premier League) and lacking in appropriate correlations

-The physical stats for older top level players aged 33-36 decline too rapidly and are unrealistically rated in the very low ranges of 4-6

- A good addition would be the option to ask senior players to do coaching courses

- A good addition would be greater input from the sports scientists and medical staff

- A good addition would be post match conversations with opposition managers

- A good addition would be a pre season forum with supporters groups/Supporters Trusts.

- A good addition would be player development plans (what they need to work on, loan experience, strengths and weaknesses etc)

- Attributes should increase quicker for young players that have international experience 

- A good addition would be incidents in a game that lift the crowd and change the momentum of the game such as a big tackle, a big save, an attacking flair player getting on the ball, a fan favourite coming off the bench etc

- A good addition would be more input, feedback and recommendations from loan managers, reserve and youth team managers about the progress or lack of progress of young players

- Individual and role specific training should result in better improvements to attributes in younger players

- A good addition would be more interaction with players. For example, they go to see the manager to ask why they are not in the team and what they have to do to get in the team, how the managers sees their pathway to the first team and how the manager sees their future role at the club. The managers should be able to give players a development plan

-A good addition would be a greater variety of free kicks instructions and free kick routines. In FM21 near post and cross centre instructions always seemed to result in the ball going to the far post

- A good addition would be enabling more than 1 player to attack the far or near post post at corners

- Instead of go forward or go back on set piece instructions, the instructions should be more specific

- In FM21 goalkeepers rarely followed the distribution style attached to their role and tactical instructions

- In FM21 penalty takers seemed to standstill and would not move or react after their shot had been saved or had hit a post.

- In FM21 goalkeepers were generally very slow to come of their line in one v one situations

- A good addition would be to instruct designated penalty takers to take penalties a certain way. For example, place penalty in the bottom corner, aim for the top corner, blast down the middle, place down the middle, player determines how to take penalty, 

- A good addition would be more detailed individual and team training reports and feedback from coaches

- A good addition would be for some players from warmer climates playing poorly in cold, wet and windy conditions

- A good addition would be to see more weather effects such as snow on the pitches and at the sides of the pitches in winter and rainy conditions resulting in more errors being made with first touches and GK handling

Some good additions in the new version, but pretty underwhelming for the most part. I'm all for gradual improvement of existing features, but re-skinning "staff meetings" and similar items doesn't really add anything to the game for me. I'd say it's only really useful if someone is role-playing and following their staff's instructions. 

I really hope the AI has been improved enough to manage squads at a reasonable level.

No international management improvement? I mean come on. This has been a big issue for years.

At this point (unless more items are announced) - this appears to be another underwhelming release, perhaps even more underwhelming than 2021. 

I'll take it all back if the match engine really has been improved to the extent it's being talked about.

One thing I'd like to see is more influence of our youth academy. Nowadays, there are many teams with very specific views on youth development. Think of the RB sides with their relentless pressing and quick transition football. On the other hand you have a side like Ajax, who have their unique way of bringing forth players, with a heavy emphasis on technical and tactical development. On FM we don't get to influence any of that. If we're lucky they might get the HOYD's mentality (which doesn't make any sense tbh) and that's that.

I would love to have the option to develop players in a certain mould, a way that fits in with the team's overall philosophy. Say you play possession football, produce technical footballers, generally blessed with a good first touch and decent passing. If you are a physical side that relies on pressing, then obviously work rate, stamina, etc, come into play.  Right now, the attributes are all over the place and usually not even logical looking at the player's position. But IRL, let me tell you that no Ajax midfielder that enters the U18's has a first touch worse than 10. Otherwise, he'd have been cut a long time ago. They have other deficiencies, like lack of bravery, work rate, etc.

Basically I'd like to see youth academies become more as they are IRL, we decide what kind of player we want coming through. There are plenty of sides who don't have that specific focus, and that's fine, but the ones that do should have that represented in the game. Allowing us managers to really build an academy that churns out players for the type of football we're seeing. Obviously a manager doesn't hold that kind of influence IRL, so maybe make it so that he has to earn it first, by either being very successful or loyal or a combination of both.

Edited by Piksi#10

31 minutes ago, Piksi#10 said:

One thing I'd like to see is more influence of our youth academy. Nowadays, there are many teams with very specific views on youth development. Think of the RB sides with their relentless pressing and quick transition football. On the other hand you have a side like Ajax, who have their unique way of bringing forth players, with a heavy emphasis on technical and tactical development. On FM we don't get to influence any of that. If we're lucky they might get the HOYD's mentality (which doesn't make any sense tbh) and that's that.

I would love to have the option to develop players in a certain mould, a way that fits in with the team's overall philosophy. Say you play possession football, produce technical footballers, generally blessed with a good first touch and decent passing. If you are a physical side that relies on pressing, then obviously work rate, stamina, etc, come into play.  Right now, the attributes are all over the place and usually not even logical looking at the player's position. But IRL, let me tell you that no Ajax midfielder that enters the U18's has a first touch worse than 10. Otherwise, he'd have been cut a long time ago. They have other deficiencies, like lack of bravery, work rate, etc.

Basically I'd like to see youth academies become more as they are IRL, we decide what kind of player we want coming through. There are plenty of sides who don't have that specific focus, and that's fine, but the ones that do should have that represented in the game. Allowing us managers to really build an academy that churns out players for the type of football we're seeing. Obviously a manager doesn't hold that kind of influence IRL, so maybe make it so that he has to earn it first, by either being very successful or loyal or a combination of both.

One could make the argument that out of all the players that come through, you get to pick who you sign. Therefore, if there are players that don't fit your philosophy, you can decide not to give them contracts

1 hour ago, Piksi#10 said:

Didn't this depends (partially) on the profile of the head of youth development? If you have a HoYD with that style, the players you get through the youth intake should be somehow fit to that style.

I do agree however that newgens needs a revamp in terms of how the game randomly assignes the attributes, both in the diversity (different types of players, even if they play in the same position and have the same role), and in how these attributes are divided.

3 hours ago, Nahuelzn said:

Didn't this depends (partially) on the profile of the head of youth development? If you have a HoYD with that style, the players you get through the youth intake should be somehow fit to that style.

Only ever veeeeeeery loosely, in my experience. Enough that I’ve always had to squint to spot any discernible pattern at all. 

7 hours ago, Piksi#10 said:

You already can influence the type of players you get with the HOYD actually. There is a reason why the HOYD has a preferred formation and a preferred playing style. Sure you are not going to get 100% players that fit the playing style and occasionally you get some weird youth CB that has low height (which I can retrain anyways). My HOYD in my current Chelsea save has a preferred playing style of control possession and so far the youth intake have consistently produced players with good mentals and/or technicals. Very few defensive midfielders and have not gotten a target men type striker across 7 youth intakes.

On 20/10/2021 at 19:05, Nahuelzn said:

I do agree however that newgens needs a revamp in terms of how the game randomly assignes the attributes, both in the diversity (different types of players, even if they play in the same position and have the same role), and in how these attributes are divided.

Can't wait for the day that the AI no longer trains 90% of the future defenders as a perfect fit for the NCB role (and them being way too small half the time), not every midfielder is a perfect passer because they all get trained as DLPs (Or APs if they're AMCs), but are incapable of anything else or the endless AF newgens that can't score to save their lives, thus get retrained as wingers, but started with too low crossing to make up for that deficiency, so you just get countless pace agents with great dribbling and an end product so poor it makes Traoré look amazing...

Oh and for attacking fullbacks to actually exist in the future, instead of having to constantly retrain wingers/the occasional BBM with slightly above average defensive attributes. That'd really be nice...