[FM23] Age of Empires

_Ben_

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I'm 100% not saying that I know exactly what to do here but I had a bit of this problem last year, I think it was. I'd been looking to avoid over-working the players during pre-season and subbing them off whenever they were getting tired. Then suddenly it occurred to me that tiring them out was sort of the point - building up their fitness requiring pushing them beyond their existing comfort zone. So now I play at least three pre-season games with what I expect to be my first team, and make as few subs as possible. Partly to try and produce some team cohesion, partly to build up fitness.

I also arrange no friendlies in the first week of pre-season, instead choosing the boot camp option in the training modules to 'beast them' a bit. This means I can cut down on the training later in pre-season and just play games. If I really think that I need training and matches for the first team, then I'll just stick the trialists and back-ups into a reserve team and arrange a bunch of friendlies for them.

This latter part is where I usually get it wrong though - I tend to have a match sharp and fresh first XI, but my subs and back-ups tend to be way off it, and struggle to make an impact early season. Indeed, I've been getting a lot of feedback in 23 that the player is "struggling to pick up the speed of the game" off the bench, which I assume is down to me not preparing them enough in pre-season.

Completely agree on that first paragraph, Shrew. I've also taken them off but their fitness comes by playing through that. I'm using the U19 team pretty well now to get match fitness but we're into the season now, so that's another kettle of fish - sorting U19 pre-season, too!

7 hours ago, GIMN said:

I found similar in FM22 - the best approach I had was intense fitness training for about 10 days; a training camp where players play 45 minutes a half, and then a games approximately 5 days apart for the first team only, with a reserve fixture scheduled a couple of days after, so all of the first team squad could get at least 60 minutes football within the week.  I'd still have players struggle a little in the first couple of competitive games, but by and large, we'd be relatively fitter than the opposition.

I do the two-teams for 45 minutes approach but it hasn't worked this time out. Maybe because I've had a 'squad' of 27 and had to rotate around for a lot more youngsters, who had been getting U19 friendlies, too. 

7 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

Training camp wise the best thing I have found is you set you tactics and PI's per position, then you clear the entire roster and leave it blank, and have the Assistant coach do all the friendlies.  He starts the players who are most fit, rotates them off, everyone get about the amount of playing time and by the season starts, everyone is pretty fit, tactically familiar, and ready to go.

I'll be doing all of the friendlies myself, given my current obsession with being ultra hands on! I would like though to analyse how the Assistant does it so might run a few holiday experiments in another save and try and learn from that.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/11/2022 at 21:29, _Ben_ said:

will spend the time it takes me to play this season to read and learn about pre-season and how it works. I've opted for 45 minute spells, with sometimes 30 minute spells, to get everyone game time in each game - in this case seven friendlies played on Wed/Sat of each week. I'm guessing that will change from next season.

I’m actually mid writing a post about that now. I used to be similar but I’ve changed in the last few months so am writing up on it. It probably won’t be out for another week or 2 as I’m on holiday but you’re welcome to read the draft if you don’t mind the lack of images and it being unfinished (got to add training schedules that’s it really) 

Link removed as now published 

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/2022/11/30/how-to-approach-preseason-training-on-fm23/

Edited by danielgear

@_Ben_ Here's the first two games from my preseason:

https://gyazo.com/970b02c2c0e135d444dcce82c28ef3b4

https://gyazo.com/2ab99a24cfef65e0c628528f143d645a

I didj't play that many as I had ECL football, but as you can see, the starting XI was slightly different between both matches, but was also rotated out entirely, with most of the subs being backup 1st team players.  I could look into it more at some point, but for the time being, I am not seeing what I would be doing differently.  To me, preseason is all about tactical familiarity and staying healthy, and maybe seeing what the promising newgens can do with some first team time.

4 hours ago, danielgear said:

I’m actually mid writing a post about that now. I used to be similar but I’ve changed in the last few months so am writing up on it. It probably won’t be out for another week or 2 as I’m on holiday but you’re welcome to read the draft if you don’t mind the lack of images and it being unfinished (got to add training schedules that’s it really) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-kssOHUf8k_ON-bcQIjvmweaJXPLOTeUUeJL9iZpkHw/edit

This is exactly what I wanted to be reading right now - thanks Dan! I will read into that a few times over the coming weeks as I've got a mini mid-season break, too but that shouldn't be quite as extreme in terms of fitness.

3 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

I didj't play that many as I had ECL football, but as you can see, the starting XI was slightly different between both matches, but was also rotated out entirely, with most of the subs being backup 1st team players.  I could look into it more at some point, but for the time being, I am not seeing what I would be doing differently.  To me, preseason is all about tactical familiarity and staying healthy, and maybe seeing what the promising newgens can do with some first team time.

Thanks for this. Interesting to see the changes are made kind of incrementally as I've always just lumped them all on at once.

7 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

This is exactly what I wanted to be reading right now - thanks Dan! I will read into that a few times over the coming weeks as I've got a mini mid-season break, too but that shouldn't be quite as extreme in terms of fitness.

No problem hope it helps. 

September 2024

fe3bca521d0c2d7f4ffce1de62338270.png

What do you do when things go wrong? Write nearly three thousand words of how you've tried to put them right, of course!

----

Ümraniyespor 0-0 Gençlerbirliği

6a8480a8f08db0fef92d4d06f81feb72.png

Infuriating, again.

I've tried to capture a few things on the review screen there to share my thoughts in a little bit more detail about what is going on. We're largely, accustomed to the style of play that I want, which is great - considering that I've made five new signings and I've not even been in this job a year, yet. I also think that this familiarity is somewhat overrated, and that a lot of that can be overcome by a strong tactical style and understanding. 

I have to agree with the analyst - we're okay at the back: fourth best defence, at this point and, even with some pressing concerns around 'how' we defend, the worry is going forward. Melih Demir is averaging 3.83 shots a game, with 50% of those on target whilst Sodje is actually yet to take a shot. The form has an xG overperformance of -0.6, as he is yet to find the net from a total of his six shots, which weigh in at 0.1xG/shot - not amazing. These things, along with the phrase 'We do not provide much of a threat at the minute" tells me that it needs to come through my midfielders. Below are all of the players in the five midfield roles who have appeared for me this season:

e559f756d7f5cf1c8fb840a004723470.png

The first thing you notice is that the game says that none of these are playing well. However, I don't feel that the Average Rating is always an accurate metric to measure that so I've dived a little deeper. For context, I want us to play aggressive, forward thinking football where we transition from defence to attack quickly, through ball carrying or vertical, high risk passing, ideally through channels and into space. This is backed up by the team instructions that instruct for a positional overload on one side to allow for extra space on the other, but can be changed to suit conditions or to alter our attacking focus.

We aren't bad at the first part - our wingers rate highly in terms of dribbles completed this season but, out of the five midfielders that make the top list for progressive passes, we have nobody anywhere to be seen. Again, the list is short, but we have nobody on the top rating for midfielders with high possession loss and also nobody anywhere near the top lists of pass completion, probably showing that there is a correlation between that and key passes at this stage. Overall, this tells me that our passing is just off. We're not getting the ball forward as much as we should, nor are we completing those forward passes and, in fact, any kind of passes, really. 

I think that I can show this better with a few stills from this match:

202f6ba019e1256de1aac5dd8be65c4e.jpg

First up, Gokhan Gul - a DM(d) but with license to get forward as he's behind two central players on attack, is presented with an opportunity where he has at least two open passing lanes and maybe one more if Belyaev continues his run, yet his attempt is a lofted pass through to Sodje, who has two marks around him. The ball is far too straight and, due to the loft, the defenders have enough time to get round and clear with ease.  Considering that his Vision and Passing is below average for attacking players at this level, and his only trait is to Dictate Tempo, I'd have expected/wanted him to play this a little safer. Likewise, the second picture sees Metehan pick the ball up bbut, despite having at least three short passing options and a decent lane to move to the feet of left winger Yusuf, he attempts a high, floating ball in behind, which, as you'd expect, is easily picked off. I don't want him to slow the play down, go back to the keeper and watch us build again but I don't want him to throw possession away so easily. The fact that he's a BPD is intentional - I had hoped that he'd try more risky things - like a higher risk ball into the feet of Belyaev, knowing he's marked rather than a hoof forward, which is far too high risk.

c18ab563293dfcfa7a101d6adcfb265b.jpg

It continues here as Alberk is breaking into the centre from his right IWB slot. As a left footer, his body shape should allow the three passes that I've highlighted to be completed quite easily, yet he opts for, again, a hoof over the top to try and get the left winger - a supporting player who isn't going to be busting a gut to get forward - into play. The ball is terrible and we lose possession. Again, I want us to play quickly and directly, but there is a difference between us moving the ball forward ten yards, three times, with a high percentage of it coming off and us moving the ball forward thirty yards, once, with a low percentage of it coming off. Lastly, Sidibe has the ball wide left and there is a real chance of some nice, slick interplay but, again, he choses a really high risk ball to try and play Belyaev in. It turns out that his Beckham-esque switch turns into a fluffed twenty yard pass that the centre back cuts out but I'm trying to find that balance between risk and reward.

The Higher Tempo is an attempt to make quick counter attacks but maybe it is counter-productive with a team who struggle to make decisions quickly and then play football that is above their level. Interestingly, moving the Tempo slider back a notch retains 'Slightly Higher' so that will be my first change for the next match. 

I think I'm somewhat blessed with relatively low expectations and a relatively strong squad. I will take the changes and adaptations slowly and we will come out of this mini-rut a better team!

---

Gençlerbirliği 4-2 Ankara Keciorengucu

8ea228fb1277c9966219cac0fd6d1f2e.png

Much more like it in this battle of Ankara but still lots of things to consider!

The only change I had made was the flick to still 'Slightly Higher' tempo but a notch down and it looked to be a stroke of genius as Cem finished a lovely move - evidence that we can progress it and get men forward in the way that I actually want! The second was just as good, as, instead of going long, Mert chose a pass to Alberk, who threaded it through for Cem to finish. Cem went on to get his hattrick and Melih Demir opened his account for us, too, but the dotted lines on the Match Momentum are the next thing that I really want to dig into.

On the 57 minute mark, I made a triple change. Their rating is inside the square brackets.

• Mazeed Ogungbo [7.5] off, Oguz Ceylan [6.6] on.
  • Serkan Odabasoglu [7.0] off, Dunyacan Copur [6.6] on.
  • Gokhan Gul [7.1] off, Ahmet Tunc [6.6] on.

Obviously, our two goals conceded came post this time so the defensive players on previous to that would, naturally, have rated better. However, there is a question, for me, as to why I'm taking off players who are doing well. The answer there is fitness. More so, the question then arises as to why they played so badly. If I compare the match stats of Ogungbo and Oguz, there's not a lot different:

cad43691e6ece24aa7d915a2caa626e7.png

Ogungbo recorded two more dribbles and got an assist, yes, but, defensively, there isn't much difference noted here but what is missing is that an error by the Turk allowed Ankara their first goal. Positionally, when he came on, we were deeper, but how much of that is to do with him or to do with the fact we had also lost the possession fulcrum in Gokhan when he went off at the same time? I think a large part of his poor performance comes from the below:

6379a9fcec03574f884ca77bc144e2d5.png

Returning from injury and not match fit. But, when the players ahead of him aren't lasting more than an hour, despite being naturally fit and in a shape that, realistically, does not require a huge amount of intensity, these changes have to happen. The cynic in me thinks that something is wrong with my substitutions - maybe three at a time is disrupting our flow of the game and maybe, just maybe, I don't need to give youngsters game time each match but, with five subs from ten named at three stoppages, I do need to be sensible. I think though, probably, it's more down to the quality of the player coming on, the fact that, at this point, Ankara were three nil down, had little to lose, had just made three of their own changes (and, as such, potentially really motivated them to perform better than who was on the pitch previously) and that the players I have still aren't match fit from what is now considered a nightmare pre-season.

---

Manisa FK 0-3 Gençlerbirliği

b31e6b3afd5bcbb9bf98a273246df893.png

Two slight tactical tweaks in what has been our most comprehensive performance yet: moved to Positive from balanced as I feel the other instructions are purposely removing some risk so adding a little more back to the overall team may help and removing Stay on Feet as I think we've been guilty of being a little soft and letting teams win the first and second ball all too often. I also successfully implemented my 'end of game' strategy, allowing us to see out the game a little bit and it was evident in the lack of chances that Manisa made in the last fifteen. This was, however, the Melih Demir show as he continues to perform really well at this level. An early goal was ruled out for offside but the intent to get in behind was great and he was soon rewarded as he moved across the defenders to finish well.

My only thoughts in this game were surrounding the immediate reaction to half time, but it appears that my team were somewhat motivated, although time will tell if I can get better outcomes when focusing on individuals rather than areas of the team. Three really important points and a much better performance, too.

---

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Bodrumspor

6bc6e78b01053d0ec627aad897bca0f4.png

I need to return to my old ways of pre-matching scouting and, aside from making sure we get all of the basics - subs, fit players etc - going, we need to approach games on a match-by-match basis and tweak where necessary. The analyst report  made a few recommendations that I've summarised:

• They're not as good as their current standing in the league suggests and there may be an element of coming back down to earth at some point
  • They create a lot and that comes through crosses, mainly. It's predicted they'll have wingers and, as you can see from the overall passes and passes received by FBL/R and AML/R, you'll see they get the ball wide early and drive forward, completing a lot of dribbles. But it also appears that the majority of their lost passing comes in that middle third, so, if we can disrupt that, we've got a chance of stopping the passing lanes.
  • The defence seems pretty good in the air but, from the limited knowledge I have of them, don't appear to be too fast.
  • Dejan Drazic has six goal contributions so far this season and looks to be their offensive fulcrum but looks to be more involved in shooting than creating, if their last match is anything to go by.

Off the back of my scouting, I set some opposition instructions - focusing on stopping the midfielders play and sending the wingers inside. I know both of my CM are on attack but, given that the team sheet shows their defensive shape and their double pivot is in the DM strata, I don't think it'll be too disruptive to our own attacking play.

The outcome was quite resounding.

Drazic wasn't able to complete a progressive pass in our half and the winger's ball supply was cut off, restricting them to just 4 dribbles in the entire game, down from 11 the game before. In terms of what we did, I wasn't able to completely cut out the long ball to Melih, as he lost more headers than he won in the attacking half, but I was able to get him space, like this - where he scored his first goal. A really comprehensive victory, showcasing tactical pro-activeness and reactiveness as well as seeing out the game nicely, too. I'm delighted.

---

Bandirmaspor 0- 2 Genclerbirligi  

74c63e5431372dab93b40ddaf0d9c134.png

The analyst report showed a very different picture to the one it showed last week: a team that defends and attacks badly, is lucky,  quite poor on the ball and will tend to launch longer passes from their double pivot. The plan will be similar in that I will try and stop their wingers from getting the chance to get crosses in and stop their midfield duo getting the ball to them as well as putting a little extra into set pieces given their poor heading stats.

The actual game wasn't as clear cut as I'd have wanted. We allowed them to have some really good chances in the first half, as they worked three openings in our box. I can't exactly put my finger on what went wrong, nor did I actively change anything, but we certainly grew into the game and, by the time our quick fire double had started the second half, were in control. Their centre mids were restricted, with only thirteen progressive passes between them and their wingers were not allowed to dribble or attempt anywhere near the number of crosses they'd like to.

---

a10e300e73e720e3883f7823d8cc4340.png

Suddenly, things don't quite seem so bad!

The old adage of 'you get out what you put in' is so true for me in FM. I've tried to work out why we've been misfiring and, now, for a short time at least, we aren't.

I managed in Turkey on FM2022 and it's a country where thanks to the rules a youth focus is required, hence Genclerbirligi being a good team to manage with their facilities.

I also found on FM2022 that the rules changed over time so less foreign players were allowed a few seasons in, which settled at 10 in the squad and 6 on the pitch.  Foreign players were also unable to gain Turkish nationality even though the game says they're awaiting paperwork.  The awaiting paperwork thing was a bug of some sort, although I think it was accurate that they didn't gain nationality.

I did find it an unpredictable league too.  Teams like Goztepe and Antalyaspor became forces and whilst the traditional big 3 and Trabzonspor remained strong they all had seasons where they struggled and failed to qualify for Europe.

It was a fun country to manage in and a good challenge too as the big clubs have a huge financial advantage which even after winning some league titles I wasn't able to bridge.  I also look forward to you managing in Greece, a country that's always high up on my list to manage in but I never actually do.

17 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

September was a good month, sorting through issues nicely, leaving you sitting well placed on the table :thup:

16 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

That's better. Seemingly back on track!

Thanks both! Yes, certainly feels like an improvement has been made. Hopefully, I can keep it up.

18 minutes ago, Sir_Liam said:

I managed in Turkey on FM2022 and it's a country where thanks to the rules a youth focus is required, hence Genclerbirligi being a good team to manage with their facilities.

I also found on FM2022 that the rules changed over time so less foreign players were allowed a few seasons in, which settled at 10 in the squad and 6 on the pitch.  Foreign players were also unable to gain Turkish nationality even though the game says they're awaiting paperwork.  The awaiting paperwork thing was a bug of some sort, although I think it was accurate that they didn't gain nationality.

I did find it an unpredictable league too.  Teams like Goztepe and Antalyaspor became forces and whilst the traditional big 3 and Trabzonspor remained strong they all had seasons where they struggled and failed to qualify for Europe.

It was a fun country to manage in and a good challenge too as the big clubs have a huge financial advantage which even after winning some league titles I wasn't able to bridge.  I also look forward to you managing in Greece, a country that's always high up on my list to manage in but I never actually do.

I really like managing here, I must say. There are few clubs with the facilities that we possess at a level that we play at, so it makes prioritising youth seem so important. Turkey seems a strange mix between youngsters and super old players, so finding a middle ground will be interesting.

Your last line made me think about my journey through this save. My intentions - with league reputations in brackets - would be something like this:

Spor Toto 2.Lig (1.5*) > TFF 1. Lig (2*) > Spor Toto Super Lig (3*) > Super League Interwetten (3.5*) > Serie B (3*) > Serie A (4*)

The first step is complete as I won promotion with Menemenspor and I think, realistically, moving from the top tier of Turkey into the top tier of Greece would work. Although, taking the reigns of a team just relegated to the second tier may give me an easier move. From there, I think a logical step would be to move to Serie B, because jobs in Serie A are tough to get. Ideally, I'd like a job from the south of the country but, as of right now, Sampdoria are in Serie B, so there's plenty of fun jobs about! From there, I'd either get promoted or work my way to the top of the Italian pyramid. Kind of means that Greece is a stop along the way but an important one as a move from Turkey to Italy would probably see me having to drop to mid/low Serie B level or spend long enough in Turkey to break that financial ceiling and leave as a routined Champions League manager, which would take a lot longer!

On 20/11/2022 at 19:45, _Ben_ said:

The first thing you notice is that the game says that none of these are playing well. However, I don't feel that the Average Rating is always an accurate metric to measure that so I've dived a little deeper. For context, I want us to play aggressive, forward thinking football where we transition from defence to attack quickly, through ball carrying or vertical, high risk passing, ideally through channels and into space. This is backed up by the team instructions that instruct for a positional overload on one side to allow for extra space on the other, but can be changed to suit conditions or to alter our attacking focus.

---

It continues here as Alberk is breaking into the centre from his right IWB slot. As a left footer, his body shape should allow the three passes that I've highlighted to be completed quite easily, yet he opts for, again, a hoof over the top to try and get the left winger - a supporting player who isn't going to be busting a gut to get forward - into play. The ball is terrible and we lose possession. Again, I want us to play quickly and directly, but there is a difference between us moving the ball forward ten yards, three times, with a high percentage of it coming off and us moving the ball forward thirty yards, once, with a low percentage of it coming off. Lastly, Sidibe has the ball wide left and there is a real chance of some nice, slick interplay but, again, he choses a really high risk ball to try and play Belyaev in. It turns out that his Beckham-esque switch turns into a fluffed twenty yard pass that the centre back cuts out but I'm trying to find that balance between risk and reward.

The Higher Tempo is an attempt to make quick counter attacks but maybe it is counter-productive with a team who struggle to make decisions quickly and then play football that is above their level. Interestingly, moving the Tempo slider back a notch retains 'Slightly Higher' so that will be my first change for the next match. 

I think I'm somewhat blessed with relatively low expectations and a relatively strong squad. I will take the changes and adaptations slowly and we will come out of this mini-rut a better team!

---

Two slight tactical tweaks in what has been our most comprehensive performance yet: moved to Positive from balanced as I feel the other instructions are purposely removing some risk so adding a little more back to the overall team may help and removing Stay on Feet as I think we've been guilty of being a little soft and letting teams win the first and second ball all too often. I also successfully implemented my 'end of game' strategy, allowing us to see out the game a little bit and it was evident in the lack of chances that Manisa made in the last fifteen. This was, however, the Melih Demir show as he continues to perform really well at this level. An early goal was ruled out for offside but the intent to get in behind was great and he was soon rewarded as he moved across the defenders to finish well.

Interesting stuff. I'm just leaving the three specific parts that really chimed with me in the above - completely empathise with this desire to balance out the intent to move quickly through the lines, but only to do so at the right times and with targetted to feet passes rather than lofted, direct balls into space or in behind. I have been going with the same thought process as you - lowering tempo but increasing the mentality. However, reading through your post I do wonder if what we're looking for is actually the polar opposite - it's about reducing the risk factor in the passes but playing at higher tempo when they are available? So move to Cautious with higher tempo?

I might post later about a similar thing - I'm going to move away from the 4-3-3 and push more towards a 3-2-5 with the ball but playing more on the counter for now (we're having defensive issues). But your post has triggered that thought in my head that maybe I've been looking at the issue back-to-front.

(and I know your move to Positive has worked for you, I'm just thinking "out loud" / with my fingers here)

That's more like it.  Fascinating to read into what was going wrong and how you went about rectifying it.  I've been enjoying the chaos of this year's match engine, but have found players a bit too eager to float balls forward at poor angles, so will be interested to see how you get on in ensuring players are a little smart with ball progression.

20 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Interesting stuff. I'm just leaving the three specific parts that really chimed with me in the above - completely empathise with this desire to balance out the intent to move quickly through the lines, but only to do so at the right times and with targetted to feet passes rather than lofted, direct balls into space or in behind. I have been going with the same thought process as you - lowering tempo but increasing the mentality. However, reading through your post I do wonder if what we're looking for is actually the polar opposite - it's about reducing the risk factor in the passes but playing at higher tempo when they are available? So move to Cautious with higher tempo?

I might post later about a similar thing - I'm going to move away from the 4-3-3 and push more towards a 3-2-5 with the ball but playing more on the counter for now (we're having defensive issues). But your post has triggered that thought in my head that maybe I've been looking at the issue back-to-front.

(and I know your move to Positive has worked for you, I'm just thinking "out loud" / with my fingers here)

I've read this thread that kind of resonated with my thinking. It says that a more aggressive mentality (more risk, as it seems to be termed now) makes the defenders more comfortable on the ball and playing out and the attackers more direct, whereas more defensive mentality - lower risk - does the opposite. I will continue to experiment with a positive way but I imagine I'll need to become more defensively-minded at some stage in my journey!

17 hours ago, GIMN said:

That's more like it.  Fascinating to read into what was going wrong and how you went about rectifying it.  I've been enjoying the chaos of this year's match engine, but have found players a bit too eager to float balls forward at poor angles, so will be interested to see how you get on in ensuring players are a little smart with ball progression.

It's really good to feel that I'm making progress tactically, which is - by far - my weakest area of the game. This ME is the closest they've ever got to perfection, it's just that tiny bit away in terms of sorting out long balls and some defender reactions, but I'm sure they'll get there.

October 2024

65a4b6fbab44b016447c2a23a21b4d7e.png

A month that has taken me over a week to play, largely due to my skinning exploits, which show no sign of let up. You may even notice a little logo on the analysis tabs and you'll also probably see the xG shot map and improved heatmap in my updates, too. Due to this (and a laptop crash which meant I lost nearly one thousand words of the write up), this is going to be rather concise!

---

Genclerbirligi 1-0 İskenderunspor

cc2ea06acd1949a29d1d90f2ab2fc35e.png

The analyst report indicated a relatively weak team but I was more concerned about the new formation that I'd be facing, given how well we've done against the 4-2-3-1 of late. However, the game was as easy as they come and that man Demir got in again.

---

Eyüpspor 0-0 Gençlerbirliği

59d4d298a40937c64bfed1e3a6380296.png

Back to a common formation but another analyst report that suggests we should have the upper hand, even if we needed to do a few things to control their shooting. That we did and, from the 24th minute onwards, Eyupspor didn't record a single shot, adding 0.00xG to their early game total. We, on the other hand, didn't do much ourselves and ended with the draw but 0.49xGA in two games is a decent base to build upon.

---

Genclerbirligi 2-0 Ankaragücü

d5cd56eef1254eefcf4f32657b4c0ed4.png

The Ankara derby came off the back of the away side coming out of Administration, where a £70m loan had been plunged into the coffers of the recently relegated side. I was alerted about full back Marlon's outputs and the analyst report recommended that this is a team probably where they should be - a worry for an ex top tier side but one that is not too surprising, given their plight. Taking our total to just 0.54xGA from three games and producing a dominating performance, we ended with bragging rights in the capital.

---

Caykur Rizespor 1-1 Gençlerbirliği

d62fcad5bdcefc0e1629b7714a14644d.png

Now comes the post-skinning time, hence the Statman logo from my skin. I still can't decide if I like it and that is just one of the three million questions that I'm asking myself and the procrastination is killing my game time. An even game but one whereby our previous defensive solidity was questioned. An own goal brought us level but there was some decent attacking play, which can only be commeded.

---

Genclerbirligi 4-1 Kütahyaspor

1f3c3005652440bdebfc53c61811b569.png

A run out for the youngsters in the cup as we overcome some lower level opposition. You can see the point at which their previous game - just two days prior - had caught up on them and the complacency set in with the changes. We conceded against the run of play but our fourth came from a delightful freekick, his first professional goal, for Dunyacan Copur.

---

09647b79b841776222b0c45151805a82.png

Things are looking good!

We're probably a little ahead of where I expected to be at this point but there is plenty of time left of the season. Hopefully, my update next month will be much more detailed!

31 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

October 2024

65a4b6fbab44b016447c2a23a21b4d7e.png

A month that has taken me over a week to play, largely due to my skinning exploits, which show no sign of let up. You may even notice a little logo on the analysis tabs and you'll also probably see the xG shot map and improved heatmap in my updates, too. Due to this (and a laptop crash which meant I lost nearly one thousand words of the write up), this is going to be rather concise!

---

Genclerbirligi 1-0 İskenderunspor

cc2ea06acd1949a29d1d90f2ab2fc35e.png

The analyst report indicated a relatively weak team but I was more concerned about the new formation that I'd be facing, given how well we've done against the 4-2-3-1 of late. However, the game was as easy as they come and that man Demir got in again.

---

Eyüpspor 0-0 Gençlerbirliği

59d4d298a40937c64bfed1e3a6380296.png

Back to a common formation but another analyst report that suggests we should have the upper hand, even if we needed to do a few things to control their shooting. That we did and, from the 24th minute onwards, Eyupspor didn't record a single shot, adding 0.00xG to their early game total. We, on the other hand, didn't do much ourselves and ended with the draw but 0.49xGA in two games is a decent base to build upon.

---

Genclerbirligi 2-0 Ankaragücü

d5cd56eef1254eefcf4f32657b4c0ed4.png

The Ankara derby came off the back of the away side coming out of Administration, where a £70m loan had been plunged into the coffers of the recently relegated side. I was alerted about full back Marlon's outputs and the analyst report recommended that this is a team probably where they should be - a worry for an ex top tier side but one that is not too surprising, given their plight. Taking our total to just 0.54xGA from three games and producing a dominating performance, we ended with bragging rights in the capital.

---

Caykur Rizespor 1-1 Gençlerbirliği

d62fcad5bdcefc0e1629b7714a14644d.png

Now comes the post-skinning time, hence the Statman logo from my skin. I still can't decide if I like it and that is just one of the three million questions that I'm asking myself and the procrastination is killing my game time. An even game but one whereby our previous defensive solidity was questioned. An own goal brought us level but there was some decent attacking play, which can only be commeded.

---

Genclerbirligi 4-1 Kütahyaspor

1f3c3005652440bdebfc53c61811b569.png

A run out for the youngsters in the cup as we overcome some lower level opposition. You can see the point at which their previous game - just two days prior - had caught up on them and the complacency set in with the changes. We conceded against the run of play but our fourth came from a delightful freekick, his first professional goal, for Dunyacan Copur.

---

09647b79b841776222b0c45151805a82.png

Things are looking good!

We're probably a little ahead of where I expected to be at this point but there is plenty of time left of the season. Hopefully, my update next month will be much more detailed!

The skins is becoming something of an analyst’s dreams!

strong early season form. Defensive sound and scoring well when those two come together it’s usually a good sign!

Fabulous stuff - Demir is very much proving to be the excellent acquisition he was expected to be.  Also looks like your late game planning is paying off, as there seems to be fewer big momentum swings now.

Enjoying the save, Ben, although I did wonder where you'd been for a week or so. Didn't see you turning into one of those people who don't play the game any more, you just make skins 😂 Very nice skin though

My unhelpful input today is that Eyupspor sounds like a club formed by Yorkshire expats living in Turkey

What are you thinking for the next move? Stay in Turkey or look to move to Greece? 

On 28/11/2022 at 20:19, SixPointer said:

The skins is becoming something of an analyst’s dreams!

strong early season form. Defensive sound and scoring well when those two come together it’s usually a good sign!

Thanks! I need to step away from the skin and put some more hours into the game now! We’ve started really strongly but not sure about longer term plans - however, delighted that we’ve defensively improved. 

17 hours ago, GIMN said:

Fabulous stuff - Demir is very much proving to be the excellent acquisition he was expected to be.  Also looks like your late game planning is paying off, as there seems to be fewer big momentum swings now.

I feel that, for the long term future of the club, any bids for Demir will have to be considered. It’s not a long term approach but we’re over £1m in debt and I want to consolidate stuff here before I move on and know I can’t do it without a big sale!

7 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Enjoying the save, Ben, although I did wonder where you'd been for a week or so. Didn't see you turning into one of those people who don't play the game any more, you just make skins 😂 Very nice skin though

My unhelpful input today is that Eyupspor sounds like a club formed by Yorkshire expats living in Turkey

What are you thinking for the next move? Stay in Turkey or look to move to Greece? 

It got a little silly in the end - finding stuff to change to just change stuff! Glad I’m done for a bit though now. 

Eyupsor is the only name I can spell and that’s because I, also, pronounce it in a think Yorkshire accent. 

I’d like to Gencler promoted but then it’s maybe a move to Greece or even Serie B. Italy is where the meat and potatoes of this save is but I need to feel like I’ve earned the move but also know I’ve not rushed it, as the riches will lead to a much earlier end-game situation.  

November 2024

ed28fed5565596f2c1f6a4ec55aa248c.png

November is done and we're still flying pretty high in the league! Lots to think about though tactically and going forward for the club, but we're two or three years away from having a really good squad here. The last game - against Somaspor - was the first on the new patch, so I'll be keeping my eye out for how those updates have changed the match engine.

---

Altay SK 1-0 Genclerbirligi

7ff2daf82ef9c6be7c8270f67d2f0981.png

The month started in the worst way possible as we were dumped out of the cup by lower league opposition. Following our resounding win, I continued with youngsters - giving minutes to a young starting XI, and including the promising Resit and Enescan on the bench. In one of those classic smash and grab performances, Altay managed four shots and 0.16 non penalty xG. That being said, our creative instinct was lacking with only four key passes in the entire match - with both Dunyacan and Cem struggling to find space high up the pitch to complete progressive passes. Maybe, just maybe, we could class ourselves as unlucky given our shot map but, at the end of the day, we weren't good enough to get the job finished. I think there is some tactical naivety, on my behalf, as we stuck to our counter attacking guns, even though they defended deep and didn't show much attacking intent, something that will, eventually, need to be solved by me if we want to progress.

Altay are in the fifth round and host Fenerbache, so, they'll both get a good hammering a nice boost to their bank balance.

---

Gençlerbirliği 2-0 Kayserispor

cd16c10cb374f05bdf29f94c4d2cf922.png

In preparation for the tie, I had my usual look at the analyst report. To quote FM - 'the findings are interesting'

• Clearly underperforming, with overall metrics on a par with ours in terms of goal output, completing more passes but conceding more than us.
  • Possession hungry but like to build up quite deep (34% of passes) but also lose a lot of possession from here. 
  • They don't look to cross yet that appears to be their strongest method of scoring (27%) of all assists there with 59% of goals coming from the centre of the penalty area.
  • A very low block with 34% of defensive actions inside their box and a league low of ~130 possession regains per game.
  • They don't start the second half well (26%) of goals conceded there, but end the first half well (22% of all goals scored there).
  • They've conceded 25% of their goals from outside the penalty area with 35% from through balls.
  • They are vulnerable to a 4-3-3 but do create more than they concede when playing this shape.
  • When conceding first, they've lost 67% of their games.
  • Baris Atik is their top scorer and inverted winger Zahit Findik leads the assists.
  • They are likely to line up in a 4-3-3 shape.

With that in mind - I set my instructions, with some changes (in blue).

1. [Trap Outside] and [Stop Crosses] - they don't cross much so I will force them to go wide but I will stop them from crossing when they get there.
  2. [Pass into Space] to ensure there are through balls.
  3. [Very Attacking] to start the game and for the start of the second half, knowing that their heads might drop if we can nick an early go at the start of each half. This will be returned to positive after around ten minutes.
  4. [Focus Play Down Right] to expose their more aggressive right hand side.
  5. Melih -> AF(a) to DLF(a) in order to pull out their low block and to expose some spaces.
  6. Opposition instructions to stop the ball creative Zahit finding space, tightening our marking on their creative midfield trio and pushing players to their weak feet.

aa5cee7c8e5bd15863b81daf27cba556.png

Plan executed, to perfection!

Mert Kula rose highest to nod in from a corner, leading to an immediate mentality change, back to positive. The rest of the first half went by with little to note: Kayserispor had three shots, none of which hit the target as we restricted them to constant possession rebuilds, through their keeper. We had only had 40% of the ball but it was pleasing to see. My only change was to move Melih Demir to a CF(a) - given that his range of passes was a little deeper than I'd wanted and he hadn't troubled the keeper at all.

6bfb546d0c8df16a7fc13b46dc7afafd.png

Back to Very Attacking and another goal, again coming from centre back Mert from a really nicely worked free-kick that saw him get on the end of a knock down from a deep cross. The second half played out much like the first - a real game of attrition and grit whereby we probably neglected a little offensive quality to solidify defensively but it worked. Just 38% of the ball but we made it count and recorded a really big win over a strong side. Furthermore, the way that we've won was even more pleasing to me:

• 0% cross completion
  • 34 progressive passes completed.
  • 0.1 xG for 6th top scorer in the league Baris Atik
  • 25 open play touches for dangerman Zahit Findik.

Feels like a real tactical victory.

---

Adanaspor 1-1 Gençlerbirliği

d0e0d3c74432c002a1a0023761d170da.png

A goalkeeping crisis of epic proportions lay ahead of me in our trip to Adanaspor as the first three keepers were injured or on international duty and the more promising of the two, Ozgur Can Basturk, was ineligible due to being on a youth contract. It was then left to eighteen-year old Ragip Halit Eken to make his competitive debut for the club, after a rush to get him to sign a new, professional deal in time was concluded.

dc5c98c3dcbb38ec6dac8c6ef5d5af36.png

In the end, the game fizzled into a draw as my experiment to improve the form of Tai Sodje somewhat backfired. The young Nigerian hasn't been clinical enough for me and, with the opposite to be said of Melih Demir, has found himself on the fringes - not having the time or opportunity to make an impact. He couldn't find the back of the net and, in fact, hasn't found the target with a shot in a month now. Worrying times but, when I have one striker who is scoring, not too devastating. We deserved so much from this match but settle for a draw.

---

Genclerbirligi 0-0 Eskişehirspor 

8e5a181071b882d1fb192c52ed1e95ac.png

Another draw but one where I've, perhaps, been a bit tactically naive. Against a deep line, away from home with a DM and two pretty defensive minded CMs, I've found that we're somewhat swamped for space. I need our attacking positioning to change, with a forward who can pull out space from the defenders and allow midfield runners to break through. In four examples (see here: example 1example 2example 3 and example 4), we've received the ball in not hugely advantageous places, in terms of our transitional play. It's something I want to explore, probably during the mid-season friendlies, as we'll face more and more teams like this as we move towards the top of this level.

In the end, another point on which, we probably could have got more but, again, controlled their outballs well with some strategic marking and pressing. 

---

Somaspor 2-5 Genclerbirligi

3de3401ed8f0b264a30a010eb70c6bdc.png

The goals are back!

I faced a slightly different proposition here, not through their formation - but the roles used, a Regista and a Wide Target Forward. I spent a little bit of time analysing the passing play of the Regista, noting that he normally looked for the wide man, so simply pressed him at every opportunity and doubled up (MR and DR) on the wide man. It worked! In the process, we scored five and Enescan Ozu became our youngest ever scorer. I've paid huge attention to our youth production line and it's paying off here!

---

04a06fbecfb1657aa1130b47954e8bee.png

We're doing very well but, with January approaching, several of the bigger Turkish teams are interested in Melih Demir, our top scorer.  I think, given the long term future of this club - with us being a year or two away to really, truly compete for promotion - I think a sale would probably be welcomed as, given our financial outlook, the money raised could be the difference between being able to both sign and retain players in the summer and not.

c6fdfb2c95d08e7da24532f5b50615e2.png

There's bigger financial issues and this is pretty much papering over the cracks, but they are very wide at the moment! We're well inside wage budget but it's something that could be slashed, meaning we'd be unable to retain the current crop. €2m + and I'm probably all ears...

The way you have become so much more tactically aware is something else! I love how you approach each opponent individually and do your background on it. You’ve went from a data man to a real tactican in a short space of time with a combo of the two very very effective.

Im finding the new patch very helpful, especially my attacking play I did have a small tactical shift around the same time. But so far so good.    

The Kayserispor game looks super satisfying - the game plan worked to absolute perfection.  Looks like a solid month, and positioning yourself well for the business end of the season.  What's the prize money/TV rights, if any, like from promotion - is there a possibility that holding onto Demir for another 6 months could actually improve your financial position?

Lovely stuff mate, still deep in your groove and the writing is reflective. 

The data reports, opponent scout reports and analysis of your last five games can really give you as a manager those marginal gains. I love how you have brought that to the forefront of your writing, although speaking from experience, this can lead you to get stuck in some serious rabbit holes and before you know it it's gone midnight. 

Keep up the good work, really enjoying this one...as per. 

Thanks @SixPointer, @GIMN and @MattyLewis11 - there are a few common threads so I'll reply all at once here.

Tactically, I'm really adapting and being able to see how my intending style is playing out. I'm still not quite sure what a good metric is for the level I'm at so judging the action with the eye and not with a standardised number has helped that. I also think that, due to our finances, I'm not to worried about overlooked the stats - in particular stat driven recruitment - right now. In fact, all of the scouting knowledge is off and I have no scouts out to search for players, simply due to the cost. I am relying on developing the players I have within the club - something that I feel every manager worth his salt should focus on, initially at least.

In terms of Demir - I won't give anything away right now but I can tell you that there is zero prize money (we earned €7k for our cup run) but last year we received just over €1m in TV money. However, that is swallowed up by the €1.3m spent on wages last year. To survive and grow, we need other forms of income as I can't let us fall into the same position city rivals, Ankaragucu, were - in Administration and now with debts of over €70m through loans - telling you the horrific state they must have been in.

December 2024

2f7d15b50e1cfa9fc10fae1f721548a8.png

---

Genclerbirligi 2-0 Sakaryaspor

08b52360fcd39a0572edb50acb1a71ca.png

A straightforward victory where we dominated the chances and kept them out defensively. Interestingly, before this game, I'd read an article on StatsBomb on line breaking passes and the amount of space a teammate has when a player aims a pass there. I think that there is a lot of thought that I've probably overlooked in regards to this. The more space I can get my playmakers into when they win the ball, the more chance they have of making something happen. I have probably considered this idea but maybe not in the simplicity of the sentence preceding this one. The examples below show a new metrics that I now want to have a look at. I have no issues with FM not calculating the Zone 14 Ball Receipts in >5 Yards of Space (although I'd love them to fix shot xG/conversion rate) so am happy to play this by eye - with, in this case, 'r' representing the radius of the circle around the player, joining the nearest opponent, roughly.

06ec6f2d825f5173b61ddbb9e431ec04.png

The problem lies, initially, with my own data collection. Zone 14 sits centrally outside the penalty area but the first two images are in the centre circle, so, even though Dunyacan has plenty of space, he's not in any kind of dangerous position. The last image, where the circle is too small to add the line for the radius, shows a more realistic perspective of where we are at. Melih, not my playmaker, receives the ball in Zone 14 but he's so closely marked by one defender that he hasn't got the time to bring the ball down or do anything other than a flick on, which - in this case - leads to a turnover in possession. If he could only drop three yards into the space (without the marker, obviously), he'd have the time of space to take a touch and play someone in. This is one of the reasons why I really liked Emile Escalona last year in my Groningen save as his 'Comes Deep For Ball' allowed him to do this more. I'm teaching Melih to 'Play One Twos' in order to try and encourage him to take a touch or find a teammate in spaces like this but really want a little extra off the ball movement to get that space for him and/or others in these dangerous zones.

But then, to counter my own argument, with our style - is this where we want to be receiving the ball? Or would I rather my playmaker be picking the ball up in Zone 11 and threading a pass through we counter? At this stage, who knows?!

However, will all the talk of Melih's development, I sanctioned this:

bbeb3d471a6b9df18126aed5ea9f8fa5.png

With suitors sniffing around and our perilous financial situation, I set my price and actually offered him out, trying to seal a move at the value I wanted rather than seeing derisory bids potentially upsetting him. In reflection, I may have offered him for too little as my demands were met immediately by Trabzonspor but this will create a huge swing in our finances and, with 40% of any future sale locked in too, Gencler could benefit from this sale for many, many years to come.

It's never good to sell your best players and I did, admittedly, fold very easily to this but, in the long run, the cash flow is imperative to help the current crop of players grow and the club to thrive as an entity. I wish Melih the best, envisaging that I'll be facing him in a couple of years time and hope that he can continue to grow as a player over the coming years.

---

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Pendikspor

f8348866aec4cb6a32452867513844fe.png

Whatever Melih can do, Sodje can do just as well!

With Melih's departure announced, I wanted to try out what the future might be look and it certainly looks good. Tai Sodje is a very different type of player to his predecessor - he's not going to hold the ball up so well and he's not likely to pick out a pass, so we're back to the thoughts from the last game that I'm going to have to have players break the lines much more to get Sodje in to finish. I actually feel that the PF(a) role, in itself, might suit him better than an AF(a) but I wanted, for consistency, to try him out in the same role as Melih has excelled in. To see Cem in space like this around Zone 14/15 is amazing and it was from this area that his pass, through the lines, put it on a plate for Sodje to get his first.

In reality, Pendikspor were/are a really poor side but we still do what we needed to - some tactical nuances in my game-to-game analysis, identifying their key players and putting plans in place to stop them - and we fully deserved the victory.

----

Kocaelispor 1-1 Gençlerbirliği

df4cabe3f7c59f1220cca94eee9f94a6.png

A really poor showing, considering the previous two performances!

We had the better of the first half but were unable to really create anything whilst also looking unusually poor defensively. Take away their goal (with 0.58xG) and the game would swing more in our direction but they defended well, too, with our nine key passes coming far enough up the pitch to cause them problems, if it wasn't for some last ditch defending, see here, we maybe would've won. Coincidentally, this is the first time we've faced a 4-4-2 this season and it's maybe something I need to look at. We have the spare man philosophy embedded with a DM sitting ahead of the two DCs to occupy the forwards but still it's worth a look if we come across this again.

---

Erzurumspor 0-1 Gençlerbirliği

eceb26fd24cc29b7ff39f899afbad71e.png

Much more like it, defensively at least.

To conceded 0.00xG in the entire first half is great but - on that notion - this amount of touches in the final third in that forty-five just isn't. However, a lovely long range strike from Cem was enough to seal the three points and end 2024 with a win!

---

b9919bac47fb9e79ff4133046ca677ac.png

I'm well aware of the gaping hole left in the team from the departure of Melih, but I feel that we can continue to push on. I still don't want to predict promotion and still think we're short and underprepared but, with money to come into the accounts, I can start to scout, prepare and build a for the future. It's really good fun managing here - there are very few teams at this level with the facilities that Gencler have and I really want to push that - making sure I share my thoughts regarding the progression of my youngsters in future as that is, honestly, my first FM love!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(But also, a fantastic month, closing that gap to Yorkshire's favourite Turkish team)

5 minutes ago, GIMN said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(But also, a fantastic month, closing that gap to Yorkshire's favourite Turkish team)

I paused, paused and paused again before pressing 'Confirm.' He's already listed as a good Super Lig player and it's nearly three times the record sale at this level. Realism won, this time. Imagine the scenes, in ten years time, when I'm managing somewhere big in Italy and bring him back!

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

December 2024

2f7d15b50e1cfa9fc10fae1f721548a8.png

---

Genclerbirligi 2-0 Sakaryaspor

08b52360fcd39a0572edb50acb1a71ca.png

A straightforward victory where we dominated the chances and kept them out defensively. Interestingly, before this game, I'd read an article on StatsBomb on line breaking passes and the amount of space a teammate has when a player aims a pass there. I think that there is a lot of thought that I've probably overlooked in regards to this. The more space I can get my playmakers into when they win the ball, the more chance they have of making something happen. I have probably considered this idea but maybe not in the simplicity of the sentence preceding this one. The examples below show a new metrics that I now want to have a look at. I have no issues with FM not calculating the Zone 14 Ball Receipts in >5 Yards of Space (although I'd love them to fix shot xG/conversion rate) so am happy to play this by eye - with, in this case, 'r' representing the radius of the circle around the player, joining the nearest opponent, roughly.

06ec6f2d825f5173b61ddbb9e431ec04.png

The problem lies, initially, with my own data collection. Zone 14 sits centrally outside the penalty area but the first two images are in the centre circle, so, even though Dunyacan has plenty of space, he's not in any kind of dangerous position. The last image, where the circle is too small to add the line for the radius, shows a more realistic perspective of where we are at. Melih, not my playmaker, receives the ball in Zone 14 but he's so closely marked by one defender that he hasn't got the time to bring the ball down or do anything other than a flick on, which - in this case - leads to a turnover in possession. If he could only drop three yards into the space (without the marker, obviously), he'd have the time of space to take a touch and play someone in. This is one of the reasons why I really liked Emile Escalona last year in my Groningen save as his 'Comes Deep For Ball' allowed him to do this more. I'm teaching Melih to 'Play One Twos' in order to try and encourage him to take a touch or find a teammate in spaces like this but really want a little extra off the ball movement to get that space for him and/or others in these dangerous zones.

But then, to counter my own argument, with our style - is this where we want to be receiving the ball? Or would I rather my playmaker be picking the ball up in Zone 11 and threading a pass through we counter? At this stage, who knows?!

However, will all the talk of Melih's development, I sanctioned this:

bbeb3d471a6b9df18126aed5ea9f8fa5.png

With suitors sniffing around and our perilous financial situation, I set my price and actually offered him out, trying to seal a move at the value I wanted rather than seeing derisory bids potentially upsetting him. In reflection, I may have offered him for too little as my demands were met immediately by Trabzonspor but this will create a huge swing in our finances and, with 40% of any future sale locked in too, Gencler could benefit from this sale for many, many years to come.

It's never good to sell your best players and I did, admittedly, fold very easily to this but, in the long run, the cash flow is imperative to help the current crop of players grow and the club to thrive as an entity. I wish Melih the best, envisaging that I'll be facing him in a couple of years time and hope that he can continue to grow as a player over the coming years.

---

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Pendikspor

f8348866aec4cb6a32452867513844fe.png

Whatever Melih can do, Sodje can do just as well!

With Melih's departure announced, I wanted to try out what the future might be look and it certainly looks good. Tai Sodje is a very different type of player to his predecessor - he's not going to hold the ball up so well and he's not likely to pick out a pass, so we're back to the thoughts from the last game that I'm going to have to have players break the lines much more to get Sodje in to finish. I actually feel that the PF(a) role, in itself, might suit him better than an AF(a) but I wanted, for consistency, to try him out in the same role as Melih has excelled in. To see Cem in space like this around Zone 14/15 is amazing and it was from this area that his pass, through the lines, put it on a plate for Sodje to get his first.

In reality, Pendikspor were/are a really poor side but we still do what we needed to - some tactical nuances in my game-to-game analysis, identifying their key players and putting plans in place to stop them - and we fully deserved the victory.

----

Kocaelispor 1-1 Gençlerbirliği

df4cabe3f7c59f1220cca94eee9f94a6.png

A really poor showing, considering the previous two performances!

We had the better of the first half but were unable to really create anything whilst also looking unusually poor defensively. Take away their goal (with 0.58xG) and the game would swing more in our direction but they defended well, too, with our nine key passes coming far enough up the pitch to cause them problems, if it wasn't for some last ditch defending, see here, we maybe would've won. Coincidentally, this is the first time we've faced a 4-4-2 this season and it's maybe something I need to look at. We have the spare man philosophy embedded with a DM sitting ahead of the two DCs to occupy the forwards but still it's worth a look if we come across this again.

---

Erzurumspor 0-1 Gençlerbirliği

eceb26fd24cc29b7ff39f899afbad71e.png

Much more like it, defensively at least.

To conceded 0.00xG in the entire first half is great but - on that notion - this amount of touches in the final third in that forty-five just isn't. However, a lovely long range strike from Cem was enough to seal the three points and end 2024 with a win!

---

b9919bac47fb9e79ff4133046ca677ac.png

I'm well aware of the gaping hole left in the team from the departure of Melih, but I feel that we can continue to push on. I still don't want to predict promotion and still think we're short and underprepared but, with money to come into the accounts, I can start to scout, prepare and build a for the future. It's really good fun managing here - there are very few teams at this level with the facilities that Gencler have and I really want to push that - making sure I share my thoughts regarding the progression of my youngsters in future as that is, honestly, my first FM love!

I love your piece on breaking the lines Ben! I love a good article so will give me something to read at work!

Always sad to see a good player go but for the sake of the greater good it makes sense I done similar with my player of the year tonight!

Unbeaten month you starting to believe now about a title? Or at the least promotion?

17 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I love your piece on breaking the lines Ben! I love a good article so will give me something to read at work!

Always sad to see a good player go but for the sake of the greater good it makes sense I done similar with my player of the year tonight!

Unbeaten month you starting to believe now about a title? Or at the least promotion?

Thanks! 

I’ve been getting more interested in the positional play of the team and that has driven a lot of thoughts about my play but to step back and see it from another perspective has helped. I used to watch Barca and revel in the fact that they’d pass to someone who was marked and still retain the ball, but that’s not how we play and we need space. 

I’m really sceptical about promotion because we halted everything to save cash, and, because of that, have no talent pool (as I’m writing about in my Jan update now that we do have some money) or plans for the future. Going up is one thing but going up with no reports or ideas is another. We’re playing well but if we don’t go up this year, I’d certainly not be too displeased!

25 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thanks! 

I’ve been getting more interested in the positional play of the team and that has driven a lot of thoughts about my play but to step back and see it from another perspective has helped. I used to watch Barca and revel in the fact that they’d pass to someone who was marked and still retain the ball, but that’s not how we play and we need space. 

I’m really sceptical about promotion because we halted everything to save cash, and, because of that, have no talent pool (as I’m writing about in my Jan update now that we do have some money) or plans for the future. Going up is one thing but going up with no reports or ideas is another. We’re playing well but if we don’t go up this year, I’d certainly not be too displeased!

My most recent readings are money ball and stat related. Trying to make a go of it with the recruitment process this year. I still struggle but I think so far this summer I’ve found some good options. And used the stats to help decide between certain players.

January 2025

January 12th 2025 was the day that transfer window opens and also the day that Melih's sale went through, leaving our finances like this:

d82650ead1e51c6e809bff639838595c.png

His profile suggests he'll play for their first team, which just makes the deal feel even more realistic! We are now financially 'ok' but, obviously, will be losing money quite quickly still. Essentially, the €2.8m here papers over a lot of financial cracks but it means that I can restore our scouting package (now set to Turkey - costing a little over €100k for the entire year) and set up some scouting assignments. I must be in the minority that thinks this change is actually really good as it feels realistic to be searching for specific players. However, my first job, given that my scouts had been sitting at home for the last six months, was just to get some players back on our radar, hence the generic-ness of the reporting. What my intention was, was to populate a custom (like you had to guess) screen on the 'Scouted Players' page that collates those scouted with over 1000 minutes, sorting by the number of pros and cons that they have. You can't actually add the analyst info to any other views so decided to edit this one to make it uniform with the rest of the styled panels I've made.

I like sorting by pros because, as you'd expect, the more positives they have, largely, the better form they're in. It's also interesting that now analysts seem to 'store' information, such as this now-unattached player, who did well last year. But, January, for me, is all about players who can come in ready, not needing a pre-season to get them up to speed and match fitness. Therefore, the minutes filter stuck.

In terms of places for immediate recruitment, after deciding that I'd replace Melih internally with Sodje and Omercan, my thoughts turned to centre back, where I only have three players and Metehan Mert is currently wanted by a handful of Dutch teams. The three lads I have are quite strong but I feel that, overall, I'm lacking a defender who can really play out from the back, given that Ogungbo's stats have slightly been skewed by spending 50% of his time playing as a full back - a naturally more progressive role

f16d9661d18861d30c22f1035ade5ef2.png

So you can imagine my delight when Ali Keten, of İskenderunspor, popped up in the filter, appearing for 1,699 minutes so far this season.

39d4e98c42a295bca2654d378de2256e.png

You can click on his thumbnail above to see his full profile. For the wider context, his club are second from bottom of the same league that we are in, scoring just 1.0 goal/90 and conceded 1.75. They appear to be doing a far amount of defending and, with their manager's want for a direct game, often look to move the ball long and wide to their wingers. Not exactly an ideal place to be looking for a cultured centre back and, well, you'd be right because I haven't found one. Well, not one that is showing that right now, anyway.  Looking at my newest editing venture, combining positional polygons and statistical analysis from the Big 5 Leagues (not conducted by me and also, I know that this is maybe a bit of comparing oranges with apples as we're not there yet - but still, a good measure is a good measure if used correctly), you can see that there is an awful lot to like about Ali.

ad828c014c84e244e323cf02c24647dc.png

Despite the sheer amount of last-ditch defending his club have done, Ali stands proud as the intelligent defender who can step in and pick the interception, committing far less fouls and needing to make as many tackles or clearances as he otherwise might be. What's more, in a team where hoof-ball is employed, he progresses the ball, finding his team mate, a good number of times. Pair that with the fact that his best role is considered to be a ball-playing defender and his Ball Control is better than what we currently have, and this seems like a dream deal.

The other recruitment feature I've not got my teeth into yet is the use of the DoF to sign players. There was no hesitation in adding him as a transfer target (in future, I'll try and add multiple to make this even more realistic), stipulating the max amount (€100k), max wage (€2k p/w) and intended squad status (Squad Player) before leaving it in the hands of my staff to do the rest. Yes, I'll miss out on things like release clauses, wage rises, overall wage demands but I just feel that this is the most realistic step for me - as that self-proclaimed Head of Coaching and Development.

In the end, a €94k deal was sorted and signed - just 3% of the Melih money spent and Ali Keten on board! This reminds me just how much I love this area of the game but the next step will be then applying these measures to youngsters and then adding the development phase to it all.

---

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Ümraniyespor

aff011781e955bd942c8eee9db16e319.png

The January schedule isn't very kind to us! We spent the three weeks following our win in late December on holiday, but came back with no time to play any football and build fitness. The only plus from this is that we are alike with the other sides in this and that if we've got five unfit players, it's likely they have too.

22964af6ba075e93bd211c4a7286f8c9.png

Nevertheless, I prepared as best as I could for the tie against a strong team. Even though the analyst report predicted a tight fought contest, this was anything but that.  A game we pretty much dominated from start to finish, with Sidibe and Sodje and then Sidibe and Cem linking nicely for the first two goals with Cem all but adding a third after a keeping blunder that went down as an own goal Whilst I'm waxing lyrical about Ali Ketan, he also made his debut - playing an assured twenty-nine minutes off the bench.

---

Ankara Keçiörengücü 1-1 Genclerbirligi

4bbf4c291701425f2f0bd04945c1ebcb.png

A game of few chances and two goalkeeping errors. We gifted Ankara a couple of really big chances, which could and probably should have seen us punished. However, we held on for the draw which takes our unbeaten run to twenty games now.

---

485d778d2905797e14bc8ef0fbb47d28.png

Adanaspor have hit a rough patch whilst Eyupspor continue their purple one, leaving us somewhere in the middle.  As the team with both the best offensive and defensive record, I feel that we're right where we should be but I am wary of threats from below. We've still thirteen games to play but things are looking good for us. As I've repeatedly said, I'm nervous about the prospect of promotion coming 'too soon'  as we simply do not have the desired background work done to in order to prepare this club for what would come next. However, I will never throw a promotion and will approach each and every fixture with an utmost level of professionalism, attempting to get the best result possible. If that leads to promotion then so be it - I just know that I've got a lot of hard yards to put in over the coming months. Deal like Ali Keten are a show of intent from me in terms of recruitment and I hope there will be many more to come, given that we absolutely need that!

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

What sort of money is paid out for promotion would it solve the cash flow issues?

I don't think there is actually any! However, you get paid per result in Turkey, with €160k per win and €80k per draw in the top flight, plus €2m for winning the league down to €200k for surviving relegation. If we go up, we'll have no cash flow issues but we won't have anything stable to build upon. 

9 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Form continues to be good, though if you turn more of those draws into wins it will be a bonus for you.

I like you new defender signing. Looks very promising :thup:

Thanks! Hoping for a successful second half to the season...

4 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

However, you get paid per result in Turkey, with €160k per win and €80k per draw in the top flight, plus €2m for winning the league down to €200k for surviving relegation.

This is mental, so in theory if you were the leagues whipping boys you could potentially pick up nothing? 

On 06/12/2022 at 18:31, _Ben_ said:

I don't think there is actually any! However, you get paid per result in Turkey, with €160k per win and €80k per draw in the top flight, plus €2m for winning the league down to €200k for surviving relegation. If we go up, we'll have no cash flow issues but we won't have anything stable to build upon. 

Thanks! Hoping for a successful second half to the season...

Madness! I suppose it makes every single game a fight especially when struggling for cash!

On 06/12/2022 at 22:26, MattyLewis11 said:

This is mental, so in theory if you were the leagues whipping boys you could potentially pick up nothing? 

13 hours ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

I second Mr Lewis’ thoughts. That really is quite an astonishing way to run a league season. Something more to fight for in every single game. 

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Madness! I suppose it makes every single game a fight especially when struggling for cash!

Yes, but look at it this way...

e0a6576f18d3cdb05f806412f0995d7f.png

I think it provides us a really clear target in terms of what we need to do to become profitable. I've created some really basic stuff off the back of our €1.275m wage bill per annum. I we just win three games next year and don't increase the wages, prize money from these fixtures alone, will offset my spending (remember, there is zero prize money at this level) but nearly €500k. If we win ten games and maintain the wage budget, we'll actually create a profit of over €350k. Our current wage bill looks like this compared to Super Lig clubs:

•  Genclerbirligi - €1.27m p/a
  • Altinordu - €2.49m p/a
  • İstanbulspor - €3.17m p/a
  • Goztepe - €6.05m p/a

If we double our wages and and finish with the same record as the team finishing 17th last year did, we'll have made a wage:prize money loss over just over €250k, which isn't much when you then add in increased merchandise sales, tickets, any TV revenue or the like. I have no accessible data for this because we've never experienced it before but immediately, from the rules page, I can see that 17th last year got €210k for staying in the league, which would almost offset that overspend on wages. Then you consider our stature as a small club with limited resources, so we'll naturally be recruiting cheap, probably free agent talent and hoping to get the best out of them.

Whilst I was initially sceptical about the realism behind winning promotion eighteen months after being bottom of the league, I feel that we're playing well enough to do so, I am still early into my challenge (as @SixPointer can vouch for in terms of completion) and it'll be right up my alley to recruit cheaply and smartly to mix it with the big boys!

February 2025

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Manisa

d2ce544dc6964f0090473856c008325a.png

Tai is turning into an absolute monster in front of goal as he netted another hattrick, creating a strong offensive and defensive performance against Manisa. It was a game I played in a little bit of a rush and it's clear to see where I made all five changes in one go - minute sixty-four - as we then invited some rare pressure against us. That being said, conceding nearly 1.0xG in just half an hour isn't a positive stat to see but, at least, I have a reason for it.

---

Bodrumspor 0-2 Genclerbirligi

602561b4c2db1abeaf199c3fb07641ce.png

Another absolutely dominating performance from start to finish. Bodrumspor had little control over the game but it look us much longer than I wanted to get the goal. Sodje opened the scoring before his replacement, Omercan Tekin, netted his first of the season late on.

--

Genclerbirligi 4-2 Bandirmaspor

1ff3cf10828c1ba640b070b531f7c138.png

I was reading about something on Twitter and wanted to put it into motion. It worked..

I firstly looked, like I always do, at the analyst report but this time paid more focus on their passing map, identifying Fatih Kurucuk as a man who'd be involved with a lot of the ball. They'd had a little shuffle between games but I set the opposition instructions up as so, pressing their left back as that was the way that progressed the ball last game. I also like some hard tackling on those lacking match fitness and that became even more prominent when an early change allowed me to add more individualised pressure. Again, this has come from observing passing patterns and build up play through their last match and using in-game analysis (great tip from @FMStagon Twitter for this) to restrict their defensive midfielders to just 51 passes in the entire first half. Tai Sodje's  second hattrick in a month was as influential as the fact that we stopped their 24 goal, leading scorer,  Papis Dembele to eleven touches and a 6.1 Rating before he was hauled off. 

Two goals, against the run of play, put a real damper on the performance but it's another three points and another performance that takes us closer to where we want to be.

---

İskenderunspor 0-5 Gençlerbirliği

d1cd4f5ee4663c45aea6a1707ee50c34.png

We end the month with the most complete performance I've witnessed and an xG total higher than I think I've ever achieved in a league game. The analyst report told me that they were a poor team but also a team who were not performing as well as they should be. Some clever marking and pressing around passing lanes restricted them to just sixty-four touches in our half in the first forty-five minutes. Sodje netted twice, taking his total to nine for the month, winning him Player of the Month as well as a penalty from Cisse, a header from Metehan and a nice finish from Dunyacan.

We were superb for the entire ninety minutes, recoring a perfect month.

---

f5bd4764317f7141a29d94fc118fe17a.png

Two goals a game scored, half a game conceded. Our ascent to the top of the league has been monumental. Three academy graduates no longer needed by their club, a seventeen year old from the tier below ours and a player taken from the team currently occupying the bottom position in this league - the only on-field changes but, overall, it's been quite the change in 477 days since I found myself accepting a job with the club in a mess. However, the next game will determine an awful lot in the outcome of our season...

34674947b235791c55703e5744068461.png

Despite them flirting with relegation, a week after the Eyupsor tie we go across the city to face rivals Ankaragucu in another huge tie.

Nine cup finals to go!

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I think it provides us a really clear target in terms of what we need to do to become profitable. I've created some really basic stuff off the back of our €1.275m wage bill per annum. I we just win three games next year and don't increase the wages, prize money from these fixtures alone, will offset my spending (remember, there is zero prize money at this level) but nearly €500k. If we win ten games and maintain the wage budget, we'll actually create a profit of over €350k. Our current wage bill looks like this compared to Super Lig clubs:

• Altinordu - €2.49m p/a
  • Goztepe - €6.05m p/a

If we double our wages and and finish with the same record as the team finishing 17th last year did, we'll have made a wage:prize money loss over just over €250k, which isn't much when you then add in increased merchandise sales, tickets, any TV revenue or the like. I have no accessible data for this because we've never experienced it before but immediately, from the rules page, I can see that 17th last year got €210k for staying in the league, which would almost offset that overspend on wages. Then you consider our stature as a small club with limited resources, so we'll naturally be recruiting cheap, probably free agent talent and hoping to get the best out of them.

Whilst I was initially sceptical about the realism behind winning promotion eighteen months after being bottom of the league, I feel that we're playing well enough to do so, I am still early into my challenge (as @SixPointer can vouch for in terms of completion) and it'll be right up my alley to recruit cheaply and smartly to mix it with the big boys!

When you put it that way it certainly seems much less daunting. I guess I was just caught off guard initially by that approach to prize money. 

Quite the month you’ve just had here too, goals a plenty! 

Superb month Ben! I love the zoning in the opponent. I think it’s these finer details that can make or break you.

i have many a time planned to do a number on certain player or certain element of the opponents system and come off worse so it’s can also lead to a lot of frustration but it’s what hooks me in! Get it right and it can provide massive swing in your favour. 

On 08/12/2022 at 16:53, _Ben_ said:

• Altinordu - €2.49m p/a
  • Goztepe - €6.05m p/a

On FM2022 some of the TV money in the Turkish top flight was also affected by results, although the game doesn't tell you this.  What I'm saying here only affects matches that are televised and the TV money generated from that fixture.  Separately to this we always received a few million paid throughout the season regardless.

If the home team won they received all of the additional TV money.

A draw led to the additional TV money being shared.

An away win meant that no additional TV money was handed out.

The away win rule seems a little bizarre but that's what the game said when I hover over the TV icon next to the fixture.  This money was additional money, I still received a few million every year separate to this.

I have no idea if this is still the case in FM2023, but it's something to look out for.

10 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Superb month Ben! I love the zoning in the opponent. I think it’s these finer details that can make or break you.

i have many a time planned to do a number on certain player or certain element of the opponents system and come off worse so it’s can also lead to a lot of frustration but it’s what hooks me in! Get it right and it can provide massive swing in your favour. 

Thank you! I've just hit the 700 word mark for just the Eyupspor game but am now half was through the month and, based on results, have somewhat altered my scouting and recruitment focus, which I think is really spot on this year. More on that when the update comes.

31 minutes ago, Sir_Liam said:

On FM2022 some of the TV money in the Turkish top flight was also affected by results, although the game doesn't tell you this.  What I'm saying here only affects matches that are televised and the TV money generated from that fixture.  Separately to this we always received a few million paid throughout the season regardless.

If the home team won they received all of the additional TV money.

A draw led to the additional TV money being shared.

An away win meant that no additional TV money was handed out.

The away win rule seems a little bizarre but that's what the game said when I hover over the TV icon next to the fixture.  This money was additional money, I still received a few million every year separate to this.

I have no idea if this is still the case in FM2023, but it's something to look out for.

This is really interesting news, thank you! I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

March 2025

Genclerbirligi 3-0 Eyüpspor

7aea9cb826d066e88099439cd1b0992a.png

Pre Game:

Analyst Report | Expected Formation | Pass Map

• Performing around where expected.
  • Haven't really faced a strong test on their defence, yet.
  • Low-ish block. Don't appear to press much high up the pitch.
  • A fair few higher risk passes in the middle third, but a few more in the opposition half than against recent opponents
  • Lots of passes (third in the league for average possession with 57%) but, when adding to the post above and looking at their pass map, I can see a lot of that build up comes through centre back Lucas Claro and wing backs. Centre back passes completed (137 in total) backs this up in last game.
  • Lots of crosses despite appearing to use inverted wingers - potentially an out-to-in styled run.
  • In their last game, striker Emeka Eze, seemed to be the target of lots of direct passes, receiving the ball 45 times
  • Star wing back Jordan Amavi (as a Villa fan, I like to see that he's still going) is suspended, as is Joseph Attamah. It'll then be interesting to see if Amavi's replacement plays like he does (average positions from last game with Amavi #3)

Plan of Action:

Opposition Instructions | Winger Instructions | Out of Possession | In Possession

• Normal traps to show players onto weaker foot remains with a trigger press on Claro. Sodje will press a little more (without moving to a PF) to try and assist with this work.
  • Both wingers are marking their full backs - this often is used away from home but will help stop the passing build up, I hope.
  • Out of possession, we're going to try to stop the ball getting to 6'1" Eze up top by restricting crossing opportunities.
  • In possession, at a guess from the full backs selected, they will mirror their shape without Amavi, so I will use the Mez and overload down the left rather than the right, initially.

Game:

66bbadca646b105d7dc2f8770bb871a0.png

It's a soft penalty - a push on Ali Keten - but it's a penalty nevertheless. I asked Sodje to take, given his immense record of late. He netted his eighteenth of the season. The first half concluded at that, with Eyupspor making just 183 passes and registering five touches in our box. The biggest combination was 11 passes between left back and centre back in an area where I'd not be worried by. Playmaker and assist leader Thill has been restricted to just ten passes, too. Overall, a really strong half for us as we lead at the break.

9f7dd3cbf5f1bc1dd93501c08d265ba1.png

The third man run! Safa plays the ball in Omercan Tekin, whose movement draws out the defenders in order to allow Serkan to run through. Tekin's lay off is fed through and he finishes perfectly, lobbing it over the keeper.

3c4393d21eac2c7e802d9cd1399d7e62.png

17 year old Enescan Ozu nets as we hit Eyupspor with a deadly break, overloading down the left through Safa, Dunyacan and Omercan before a low cross is turned in by the substitute.

That is how the game finished. 16 shots to 7, with 6 on target to 1 and 2.14 Non-PenxG to 0.31xG. More progressive passes, final third passes, sprints - this was just a game where we absolutely bossed, from start to finish. All of the preparation and analysis has paid off - the two centre backs managed just 67% of the total passes they made against Kocaelispor the week before, Emeka Eze touched the ball twice in our area and they completed just 8% of their crosses - apparently an area of strength for them.

Five points ahead with eight to play. Twenty points ahead of the eighth placed team, meaning we need a matter of points to cement a playoff spot and ten points ahead of third place. Our fate is in our hands.

---

Ankaragücü 0-0 Gençlerbirliği

f8096831c33d31795d3a007c2cd52501.png

We might share a stadium but Ankara is black and red!

A couple of big chances for the hosts but we are dominant pretty much throughout, with Metehan scoring from two set pieces and Omercan Tekin netting again in the absence of Tai Sodje, who missed out with an injury. It's an indication of just how far we've come, beating a (troubled) but recently relegated Super Lig side so comfortably. Five points ahead with seven to play. Twenty three points ahead of the eighth placed team, meaning we have qualified for the playoffs and ten points ahead of third place. Our fate is still in our hands.

WIth these six points and the continuation of our meteoric rise to the summit of the table, I've been thinking about next season, trying to build a player base that could potentially assist us in the top flight. I've set out some feelers, trying to line up some replacements, of which I'll dig into statistically. It's early stages but I'm already building a shortlist, with players identified for the ML slot and two that could play in the DM slot:

e4a09e445e030096d3046320f44b74c1.png

Between games, the youth intake arrived and, sadly, I wasn't too impressed. The players will be signed and will join the academy setup we have here for the coming years.

---

Genclerbirligi 1-0 Çaykur Rizespor

5b946cc53f0801589a05e948d00294d7.png

Caykur were the next visitors to the capital and we disposed of them relatively easily thanks to another Sodje strike. Their 4-3-3 is a slightly different outcome to the 4-2-3-1 'deep' that I've faced a lot of times this season but we managed to get the best of them, restricting chances and cutting out some of their bigger threats in transition and build up. Not as glamorous as the preceding fixtures but just as important.

---

Kayserispor 1-5 Genclerbirligi

46157dcb7c97e2c886eca5de370dcc32.png

And, once again, we are back at out swashbuckling best. I sometimes have to question where these performances come from - we're not any better on paper and I'm certainly not using tactics that exploit the match engine. I am, however, engaging with their threats and creating a game plan that goes into the minutia of possibilities in terms of opportunities for ourselves. Tai Sodje was clinical - four goals blitzes the record for us and takes him past twenty this season, which is remarkable when you consider that he was merely a backup until January. For me - the mindset has now very much changed as I'm almost certain that we will now get promoted.

---

9042f171f206d638897bab689fd75b13.png

A matter of a few points between us and the top tier of Turkish football. It's all come so quick but it all feels so sweet and I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts - as I don't think we'll be doing this in the top flight, week in, week out!

Lots of details in that update. I like how you’ve settled on what to recruit and started searching as soon as you could.

It’s curious also that Tai seems to fit even more so than Demir did. Demir’s transfer is giving you more than just financial benefits.

And yes, promotion looks guaranteed. The only question about it is what you go up as. I’m predicting as Champs :thup:

Never mind promotion this is title winning form!

The detail is immense! My go to instructions for opponents tackle hard low bravery players, press trigger poor first touch players, man mark good off the ball players. That’s the base before deciding where I want to funnel play. Have you a set trend tht you stick by?

4 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Lots of details in that update. I like how you’ve settled on what to recruit and started searching as soon as you could.

Thank you! I really like how I can no longer (unless it's moved) only scout for players who I know are interested - you have to ask once you've started the process. It's really helped me in that process of 'creating a talent pool' which I can then pass on to the DoF, rather than being able to settle, immediately, on one player. I've set out for those positions but then I guess my next question will be 'is x player good enough for this level and is y player available to replace them?' I am well aware that I need to contend with the 'rollover date' which will stop our reputation and league standing from increasing, making the coming months way harder to recruit than they should be, but I feel it's a problem that all FM teams will have and, also, I'm not going to moan at SI without giving them some kind of solution to that issue.

It’s curious also that Tai seems to fit even more so than Demir did. Demir’s transfer is giving you more than just financial benefits.

Tai was my first choice and was going to be until I saw that Demir was available so I knew/hoped he'd be good enough and felt it was a little unfair at actually purchasing Melih Demir in the first place. However, as you've said, we've ended with €2.8m in the bank and an even more clinical finisher!

And yes, promotion looks guaranteed. The only question about it is what you go up as. I’m predicting as Champs

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Never mind promotion this is title winning form!

Post Ankaragucu, yes, that is probably my thoughts! 

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

My go to instructions for opponents tackle hard low bravery players, press trigger poor first touch players, man mark good off the ball players. That’s the base before deciding where I want to funnel play. Have you a set trend tht you stick by?

Yes, I do. I think a lot of that has come down to the fact that I've re-skinned that particular panel to provide me as much info as it can:

ef18bcb2f8d820cacc847c0db790d0e4.png

Immediately, I look for player roles that would indicate playmakers and runners - so the DLP/Mez combo here interests me. I think also ensure I am trigger pressing those who are not match fit, as I've found that to be really important as they're not sharp enough to meet the demands of the game. I will corroborate this the pass map with this and look to tight mark the players, normally outside of the attacking third, who receive the ball most (normally FBs or MCs in build up phases), and tight mark those, whilst trigger pressing those who make the more offensive passes - normally a MC or AMC. I will, 95% of the time, focus the player to their weaker foot but, in this game, for example, I'll do one of each. I'll get Jallow inside as he's really week there and won't be able to play the balls through but Emir will go out wide, even though he's quite good because I have less worries about crosses into the box, given Tetteh's style and the cross-analysis with their crossing performances. I then also like to look at those players who are out of form and also those players who don't tend to play as much - from this data, I'd expect Emir Bars to be replaced so need to look out for that and ensure I apply the above thoughts to his replacement.

I don't know if you use a custom skin but can share this file with you if it'd help?

35 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you! I really like how I can no longer (unless it's moved) only scout for players who I know are interested - you have to ask once you've started the process. It's really helped me in that process of 'creating a talent pool' which I can then pass on to the DoF, rather than being able to settle, immediately, on one player. I've set out for those positions but then I guess my next question will be 'is x player good enough for this level and is y player available to replace them?' I am well aware that I need to contend with the 'rollover date' which will stop our reputation and league standing from increasing, making the coming months way harder to recruit than they should be, but I feel it's a problem that all FM teams will have and, also, I'm not going to moan at SI without giving them some kind of solution to that issue.

Tai was my first choice and was going to be until I saw that Demir was available so I knew/hoped he'd be good enough and felt it was a little unfair at actually purchasing Melih Demir in the first place. However, as you've said, we've ended with €2.8m in the bank and an even more clinical finisher!

Post Ankaragucu, yes, that is probably my thoughts! 

Yes, I do. I think a lot of that has come down to the fact that I've re-skinned that particular panel to provide me as much info as it can:

ef18bcb2f8d820cacc847c0db790d0e4.png

Immediately, I look for player roles that would indicate playmakers and runners - so the DLP/Mez combo here interests me. I think also ensure I am trigger pressing those who are not match fit, as I've found that to be really important as they're not sharp enough to meet the demands of the game. I will corroborate this the pass map with this and look to tight mark the players, normally outside of the attacking third, who receive the ball most (normally FBs or MCs in build up phases), and tight mark those, whilst trigger pressing those who make the more offensive passes - normally a MC or AMC. I will, 95% of the time, focus the player to their weaker foot but, in this game, for example, I'll do one of each. I'll get Jallow inside as he's really week there and won't be able to play the balls through but Emir will go out wide, even though he's quite good because I have less worries about crosses into the box, given Tetteh's style and the cross-analysis with their crossing performances. I then also like to look at those players who are out of form and also those players who don't tend to play as much - from this data, I'd expect Emir Bars to be replaced so need to look out for that and ensure I apply the above thoughts to his replacement.

I don't know if you use a custom skin but can share this file with you if it'd help?

I don’t use a custom skin other than so I can get the transparency for my stadium backgrounds. I take a lot of time pre match building the plan so I don’t mind using my notes pad (yes I know old school🤣)