New Champions League set-up, how do you guys like it?

It is what it is :). It will be probably a bit confusing in the last rounds where it won't be clear who has to do what in order to progress as there will be several teams with chance to reach the places for Round of 16 or the Knockout. It was much clearer in the group phases as they are now.  

I have mixed feelings over it. I like the idea of games against different opponents rather than just a set group. Seeing a huge league table with teams from all different countries is pretty cool too. I don't really like the idea of 24 teams progressing though. That's basically allowing all the teams that would've finished 3rd in the old group stage a chance at making the knockout stages, or potentially winning the whole thing. I understand why that's the case, 8 games isn't really enough to accurately portray how well 36 teams have done, there's also a lot of teams that will have the same, or very similar, point totals. So giving them a chance in a playoff does make a lot of sense. It's just strange. Maybe if it were a smaller number, eg. top 12 go straight through then 13-20 go to the playoff would be a bit better? I don't know.

I also don't like the removal of the drop down to the Europa League. I'm hoping it's editable without breaking anything, if it is then I intend to reduce the playoff to 1 leg instead of 2, the winner goes to the round of 16, the loser faces a second 1 legged playoff against the equivalent Europa League teams for a place in the Europa's round of 16. Same for Europa dropping down to Conference. I think I'd prefer that.

Definitely happy with more teams in Europe though, and a new way to qualify. Unfortunately the extra places for highest coefficients always seem to go to England and 1 of the other top 4 leagues (I don't think they're working correctly at the moment actually), but at least it's a chance for countries like Portugal, the Netherlands etc. to grab an extra UCL palce.

Oh and I really wish there were more colour coding to it, it shouldn't just be the top 8 that are highlighted in green, the playoff places should have a colour too! Plus I think the playoff places currently count as being "eliminated" from the competition in some places, which obviously isn't correct.

Edited by rusty217

I don't mind the concept. It's a bit of a radical change but more games and against more opponents is always a good thing for smaller teams.

I tell you one rule change I think is terrible - removal of the away goal rule. I'm still upset about it 😅

I see positive and negatives. Unlike the above poster, I do like the removal of away goals which made for very cagey games IMO. 

I do have a question: how are the fixtures generated? There was no draw for the group stage I've just entered (as Arsenal), the fixtures just appeared. It seems I got a lot of tough teams: Bayern, Lazio, PSG, Napoli, Shakhtar and Athletic Bilbao with just Viking and Kobenhavn as "minnows". Would be good to see how these fixtures are decided on. Don't get me wrong, I know there should be some big games but that seems like a lot of games against teams from high-coefficient countries to me...

There seems to be some confusion regarding how the fixtures are generated. There is mention of a Swiss system, but that system only determines each next fuxture after all games of the previous round have been played. Which I do not believe is how this will work. I anticipate it will still use coefficients to produce fixtures and each team will play a certain number of games against teams in the top 9, teams in the next 9, and so on.

2 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

I see positive and negatives. Unlike the above poster, I do like the removal of away goals which made for very cagey games IMO. 

I do have a question: how are the fixtures generated? There was no draw for the group stage I've just entered (as Arsenal), the fixtures just appeared. It seems I got a lot of tough teams: Bayern, Lazio, PSG, Napoli, Shakhtar and Athletic Bilbao with just Viking and Kobenhavn as "minnows". Would be good to see how these fixtures are decided on. Don't get me wrong, I know there should be some big games but that seems like a lot of games against teams from high-coefficient countries to me...

seesm to be random to be...maybe someone knows?

But my xp so far is that you play 2-3 big teams and 2-3 small ones...so it seems to be based on coefficients

5 hours ago, DrIgz said:

I don't mind the concept. It's a bit of a radical change but more games and against more opponents is always a good thing for smaller teams.

I tell you one rule change I think is terrible - removal of the away goal rule. I'm still upset about it 😅

Never liked the away goal rule because it offered an unfair advantage to the away team in the second leg.

Lets say the first game finished 1-1 and then after 90 mins, the second leg also finishes 1-1, the game will go to extra time. The team playing away in this second leg now has an additional 30 minutes to score an away goal. 

32 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

Never liked the away goal rule because it offered an unfair advantage to the away team in the second leg.

Lets say the first game finished 1-1 and then after 90 mins, the second leg also finishes 1-1, the game will go to extra time. The team playing away in this second leg now has an additional 30 minutes to score an away goal. 

The home team gets to play the second leg at home, which I think is an advantage in itself. And then an extra, key, 30min at home. I'd be interested to know whether there was a noteworthy advantage or disadvantage to playing the second leg at home previously, with respect to who actually goes through. Like, statistically, do teams playing away in the second leg go though more often?

14 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

I believe it's based on coefficients. eg. teams are placed into pots based on their coefficients and you draw 1 or 2 teams from each pot (depending whether they do 8 pots, or more likely 4 pots).

As of current standings, for your draw my guess would be that Bayern/PSG came from pot 1, Napoli and Lazio from pot 2, Shakhtar and Athletic from pot 3 and finally Viking and Kobenhavn from pot 4. Arsenal likely would have been in pot 3 too.

Hopefully the new UCL format will be openable in the editor and then we'll be able to see with 100% certainty how the draw is made (and change it if we want!).

14 hours ago, the_hdk said:

seesm to be random to be...maybe someone knows?

But my xp so far is that you play 2-3 big teams and 2-3 small ones...so it seems to be based on coefficients

I think teams are divided into 4 groups based on their coefficient and you play 2 teams from each group. Or something like that. But a draw would be really nice - even more interesting than the one for the od model.

13 hours ago, DrIgz said:

The home team gets to play the second leg at home, which I think is an advantage in itself. And then an extra, key, 30min at home. I'd be interested to know whether there was a noteworthy advantage or disadvantage to playing the second leg at home previously, with respect to who actually goes through. Like, statistically, do teams playing away in the second leg go though more often?

I rebember when there was a period a couple of years ago when Bayern usually got knocked out when they played the second leg at home. Somehow it was easier for them to defend a narrow lead in an away game then chase a narrow defeat in the home game.

On 27/10/2022 at 12:19, rusty217 said:

I have mixed feelings over it. I like the idea of games against different opponents rather than just a set group. Seeing a huge league table with teams from all different countries is pretty cool too. I don't really like the idea of 24 teams progressing though. That's basically allowing all the teams that would've finished 3rd in the old group stage a chance at making the knockout stages, or potentially winning the whole thing. I understand why that's the case, 8 games isn't really enough to accurately portray how well 36 teams have done, there's also a lot of teams that will have the same, or very similar, point totals. So giving them a chance in a playoff does make a lot of sense. It's just strange. Maybe if it were a smaller number, eg. top 12 go straight through then 13-20 go to the playoff would be a bit better? I don't know.

I also don't like the removal of the drop down to the Europa League. I'm hoping it's editable without breaking anything, if it is then I intend to reduce the playoff to 1 leg instead of 2, the winner goes to the round of 16, the loser faces a second 1 legged playoff against the equivalent Europa League teams for a place in the Europa's round of 16. Same for Europa dropping down to Conference. I think I'd prefer that.

Definitely happy with more teams in Europe though, and a new way to qualify. Unfortunately the extra places for highest coefficients always seem to go to England and 1 of the other top 4 leagues (I don't think they're working correctly at the moment actually), but at least it's a chance for countries like Portugal, the Netherlands etc. to grab an extra UCL palce.

Oh and I really wish there were more colour coding to it, it shouldn't just be the top 8 that are highlighted in green, the playoff places should have a colour too! Plus I think the playoff places currently count as being "eliminated" from the competition in some places, which obviously isn't correct.

Shocker that. It's almost like UEFA made it that way in case any of the so called "big clubs" had a shocker and missed out eh.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Shocker that. It's almost like UEFA made it that way in case any of the so called "big clubs" had a shocker and missed out eh.

IRL last season it would've went to the Netherlands, which would've meant PSV were in the group stage and Feyenoord had the play-off vs Rangers.

Theoretically any country (except Liechtenstein) could get an extra place though. It's most likely to go to one of the big 4 leagues, but it's still better than the previous idea of just basing it on club coefficients guaranteeing one of the "big" clubs would get a place even if they failed to qualify via their league.

On 27/10/2022 at 12:05, the_hdk said:

in general? now I had opportunity to see how it will work....and its werid.

and so random. you just get 8 diff games...no home/away

not really a fan.

what you guys think?

As noxious in game as it is in real life. Quite where these two extra fixtures go next season given the existing fixture congestion is a concern. Likely time for clubs in Europe to withdraw from the league cup.  (It's a laughing stock to every club but the one that wins it and suddenly pretends it's a major trophy anyway :D)

I wonder how quickly it'll change when it turns out smaller clubs are qualifying that they expected to? Or teams are playing the reserves in dead rubbers to save legs for the domestic comps.

17 minutes ago, CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon said:

As noxious in game as it is in real life. Quite where these two extra fixtures go next season given the existing fixture congestion is a concern. Likely time for clubs in Europe to withdraw from the league cup.  (It's a laughing stock to every club but the one that wins it and suddenly pretends it's a major trophy anyway :D)

I wonder how quickly it'll change when it turns out smaller clubs are qualifying that they expected to? Or teams are playing the reserves in dead rubbers to save legs for the domestic comps.

France have already decided to reduce their league to 18 teams to account for the extra European fixtures, they scrapped their league cup recently too.

As for England, I'm not sure withdrawing from the league cup would go down well. The EFL were very annoyed by the super league suggestion as that threatened the competition. The league cup is pretty financially important for lower league teams.

It's only 2 extra games though, reduce the league cup semi final to a single leg and scrap FA Cup replays and you've probably done enough to account for them already.

Are the rounds of 8 and 16 seeded by the league standings ? Read that somewhere but it was still when they planned 10 games instead of 8.
Like 9th vs 24th, up to 16th vs 17th ?
And then 1st vs winner of 16-17, up to 8th vs winner of 9-24 ?

23 minutes ago, Teep said:

Are the rounds of 8 and 16 seeded by the league standings ? Read that somewhere but it was still when they planned 10 games instead of 8.
Like 9th vs 24th, up to 16th vs 17th ?
And then 1st vs winner of 16-17, up to 8th vs winner of 9-24 ?

It's seeded, but not like that. One of the teams placed 9th-16th will be drawn to play one of the 17th-24th teams. The 9th-16th team will play the second leg at home. So it's similar to the current round of 16 draw, except there are no country protections. 2 teams from the same country can play each other in the playoff.

17 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It's seeded, but not like that. One of the teams placed 9th-16th will be drawn to play one of the 17th-24th teams. The 9th-16th team will play the second leg at home. So it's similar to the current round of 16 draw, except there are no country protections. 2 teams from the same country can play each other in the playoff.

Ok, thanks, and then i guess 1-8 go vs playoff winners.

13 hours ago, rusty217 said:

I believe it's based on coefficients. eg. teams are placed into pots based on their coefficients and you draw 1 or 2 teams from each pot (depending whether they do 8 pots, or more likely 4 pots).

As of current standings, for your draw my guess would be that Bayern/PSG came from pot 1, Napoli and Lazio from pot 2, Shakhtar and Athletic from pot 3 and finally Viking and Kobenhavn from pot 4. Arsenal likely would have been in pot 3 too.

Hopefully the new UCL format will be openable in the editor and then we'll be able to see with 100% certainty how the draw is made (and change it if we want!).

So everyone plays against the same quality of teams (in terms of pots) no matter which pot they themselves are in? Basically whether you're Arsenal or Sherriff Tiraspor, you're going to have the same possible fixtures (other than teams from your own league obviously)??

Edited by GreyedOutMan

7 hours ago, Teep said:

Ok, thanks, and then i guess 1-8 go vs playoff winners.

Yes.

7 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

So everyone plays against the same quality of teams (in terms of pots) no matter which pot they themselves are in? Basically whether you're Arsenal or Sherriff Tiraspor, you're going to have the same possible fixtures (other than teams from your own league obviously)??

Yep, not really any benefit from being a higher seeded team anymore.

13 hours ago, CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon said:

I guess you're looking at it from the point of a team in the premier league, which plays a significant number of fixtures and may easily qualify anyway so their last couple of games may be dead rubbers.

I'm thinking about what it means for my favourite team which doesn't play on one of the top leagues, and for which 2 extra games in Europe will be amazing. Not ever would we consider any game in a European competition as not important, even if we've lost every game so far and we're out anyway. 

İ really liked new system.. it produced 8 diffrent teams matches instead of 3 team in this group system. İt add huge new interesting matches :)

i can't wait for new system. Just second 8 and third 8 playoff matches is ridicolous. Third 8 should just go europa league

9 hours ago, DrIgz said:

I guess you're looking at it from the point of a team in the premier league, which plays a significant number of fixtures and may easily qualify anyway so their last couple of games may be dead rubbers.

I'm thinking about what it means for my favourite team which doesn't play on one of the top leagues, and for which 2 extra games in Europe will be amazing. Not ever would we consider any game in a European competition as not important, even if we've lost every game so far and we're out anyway. 

Oh of course, completely understand that. The Premier League sticks out because it already has fixture congestion, stupid TV times, an extra cup compared to the likes of Germany, and replays in the FA Cup as well as two legged ties in the 'Man City Cup' Semi-Final.

The whole premise of this change is for political (ie. Čeferin getting smaller teams in whilst protecting the interests and entrance of the elite clubs whilst combating the Super League) and financial reasons.

As a competitive competition it feels dire. One only needs to look at what Wenger said back in the 90's to know where it was all going.

"The UEFA Cup is a consolation prize and the Cup Winners' Cup has been destroyed. Who plays in that now? Nobody. The fact is, the Champions League is all-important. It is turning into a European League and over the next three or four years I think that will become more and more clear."

18 saat önce, HighFlyingDwarf said:

The whole premise of this change is for political (ie. Čeferin getting smaller teams in whilst protecting the interests and entrance of the elite clubs whilst combating the Super League) and financial reasons.

As a competitive competition it feels dire. One only needs to look at what Wenger said back in the 90's to know where it was all going.

We will see alot of diffrent interesting matches.. also in cl groups 6. Week usualy everthing become clear. Now every matches even 8. Week become interesting because nothing will be clear until league round finish.

18 saat önce, HighFlyingDwarf said:

We will see alot of diffrent interesting matches.. also in cl groups 6. Week usualy everthing become clear. Now every matches even 8. Week become interesting because nothing will be clear until league round finish.

Ive had had a look ahead to see how it works out. What i have noticed is that only England and Spain are getting the extra group stage spots. So they both have 5 teams minimum in the group. 5 years in a row. Has anybody noticed any other nation getting the extra spot yet.

On 27/10/2022 at 09:50, GreyedOutMan said:

How it works is that the teams are divided into 4 pots of 9 teams, similar to today. You get drawn against 2 teams per pot. So Bayern and PSG would be Pot 1 most likely, Napoli, Shaktar pot 2, got strong pot 3 team Lazio and Athletic, with Viking and Kobenhavn as pot 4 teams.

You've gotten a rough draw: just a group death

On 02/11/2022 at 21:42, wicksyFM said:

Ive had had a look ahead to see how it works out. What i have noticed is that only England and Spain are getting the extra group stage spots. So they both have 5 teams minimum in the group. 5 years in a row. Has anybody noticed any other nation getting the extra spot yet.

I'm pretty sure it's bugged at the moment. It seems to be giving the extra spots to the 2 top nations from 2 seasons prior to the UCL, rather than the season before.

But yeah, I've seen it go to other nations at least. Simulated a game about 100 years and Czechia were even getting the extra place then.

6 hours ago, rusty217 said:

I'm pretty sure it's bugged at the moment. It seems to be giving the extra spots to the 2 top nations from 2 seasons prior to the UCL, rather than the season before.

But yeah, I've seen it go to other nations at least. Simulated a game about 100 years and Czechia were even getting the extra place then.

Yeah. I’ve noticed that it is giving the extra spots for nations coefficients two seasons prior. That seems wrong. We’ve all heard it’s the season before. In 11 season on my little test England got the xtra spots in all 11 seasons and Spain had 10 out of 11. Germany got it once. Would of hoped for a little more variety, but if their the best performing nations then that’s how it is 

Edited by wicksyFM

7 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Did you bug report it then ?

12 hours ago, Teep said:

Did you bug report it then ?

I did, SI didn't seem to understand what I was saying though, they just said it goes on 1 season's coefficient. I replied to clarify that my bug report was that it was going on the wrong season's coefficient. Haven't heard anything since then though.

4 hours ago, dave7867 said:

how did at.madrid finish above leipzig?

sorting rules head to head first only atletico and porto met  and atletico won. ok so far of all 4 teams.

next goal differnce  leipzig beats atletico.   and every other rule leipzig beats atletico.

Screenshot (1).png

Head to head record. When there are multiple teams on the same points it creates a little mini-league for them.

In this case, Atletico would be 1st on 3 points with a positive goal difference, Leipzig and Shakhtar would be joint 2nd with 0 points and 0 goal difference and Porto would be 4th with 0 points and a negative goal difference. The game would then proceed to the next tie breaker for Leipzig and Shakhtar, but Atletico at the top and Porto at the bottom are already confirmed. If you hold the mouse over the position (24th etc.) it should show you the mini-league table so you can see the information yourself in game.

I like the new format, I think it'll help the cream rise to the top and it negates weak 4 team groups too. 

If this season was one big table then Liverpool and PSG would have finished in the top 8 of the CL table and been seeded for the KO rounds and the same for Man Utd in Europa, it's a much better format with a wider variety of games imo.

On 02/11/2022 at 12:42, wicksyFM said:

The two extra CL spots are allocated to the two highest ranked teams (based on co-efficients) who have not qualified for the CL but have qualified for Europe, therefore it's really no surprise those teams are coming from those nations.

Edited by HoChiKim

1 hour ago, HoChiKim said:

I like the new format, I think it'll help the cream rise to the top and it negates weak 4 team groups too. 

If this season was one big table then Liverpool and Barcelona would have finished in the top 8 of the CL table and been seeded for the KO rounds and the same for Man Utd in Europa, it's a much better format with a wider variety of games imo.

Liverpool would have, but Barcelona with their measly 7 points would've finished 17th in a combined table. They would've gotten through, but they would've been in the extra knockout round playoff and would've been unseeded.

54 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Liverpool would have, but Barcelona with their measly 7 points would've finished 17th in a combined table. They would've gotten through, but they would've been in the extra knockout round playoff and would've been unseeded.

Yeah, I probably meant PSG and was guessing Barcelona had a better points total tbf plus in my head they finished 2nd haha.

The points I made remain though, the format is much better now and there will be a better spread of games with the better teams going through deservedly rather than as can happen now and getting through courtesy of a fortunate draw.

Edited by HoChiKim

Am 5.11.2022 um 01:53 schrieb rusty217:

Head to head record. When there are multiple teams on the same points it creates a little mini-league for them.

In this case, Atletico would be 1st on 3 points with a positive goal difference, Leipzig and Shakhtar would be joint 2nd with 0 points and 0 goal difference and Porto would be 4th with 0 points and a negative goal difference. The game would then proceed to the next tie breaker for Leipzig and Shakhtar, but Atletico at the top and Porto at the bottom are already confirmed. If you hold the mouse over the position (24th etc.) it should show you the mini-league table so you can see the information yourself in game.

That is genuinely weird. What if Porto and Atletico had drawn their match (and still finished with 9 points somehow, just for the sake of this argument)? 

They would have been ranked higher than the other two based on --- nothing but an arbitrary rule, really. 

I wonder if UEFA has even thought about that (or maybe they have, ranking will be based on goal difference as it should in this case and it's just not implemented).

14 minutes ago, neuronal said:

That is genuinely weird. What if Porto and Atletico had drawn their match (and still finished with 9 points somehow, just for the sake of this argument)? 

They would have been ranked higher than the other two based on --- nothing but an arbitrary rule, really. 

I wonder if UEFA has even thought about that (or maybe they have, ranking will be based on goal difference as it should in this case and it's just not implemented).

I get the logic behind it, head to head record is a better metric when you haven't got a full round robin. They haven't played the same teams so one may have better goal difference by virtue of an easier draw. You can't really dispute the winner of a head to head matchup being placed higher though, they did beat the other team so proved they were better.

The only issue is how often a bunch of teams end up on the same points. It likely wouldn't be much of an issue with more games. If it were expanded to 10 or 12 games or something the chances of this situation occuring would be much lower. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the long term goal actually, UEFA did originally plan to have 10 matches.

On 28/10/2022 at 02:44, dave7867 said:

just curious how much do you get when you qualify,is it still 12.93 or does it increase.

not got that far yet

I've just reached season 3 on my beta (waiting for a LL database) and I was given £12.75m for entering the group phase.

I can't recall how much I got in previous seasons to know if it's increased or not.

I haven't gotten to it yet on my save, but checking it out was one of the big reasons I bought 23 even though I also have 22. I'm keeping an open mind about it at least until we get to it in real life.

Teams no longer dropping from Champions to Europa (or from Europa to Conference) after the league stages is something I like as a fan but maybe don't like as much as an FM player. The narrow window to win Europa or Conference in a long term save maybe gets even narrower?

I have a question: I remember reading that the new format will no longer have draws for the knockout stages, they are all set up according to league phase positions. Does this apply in FM?

Edited by ElJuanvito
EDIT: forgot to ask a question

9 hours ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Has this new format been 100% confirmed by UEFA? or is it still just an rough blueprint and idea, Because am really not liking it at all, i much prefer the old format.

Unfortunately yes, I don't like it either, but it is confimed:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-need-t/

On 12/11/2022 at 12:19, iAlwaysWin said:

Has this new format been 100% confirmed by UEFA? or is it still just an rough blueprint and idea, Because am really not liking it at all, i much prefer the old format.

I wrote further up why I prefer it, I think it'll actually be fairer as it compensates for weaker groups by putting all teams in one league this meaning qualifying through a weak group with 9-11 points is unlikely to get you seeded and stronger teams will more likely meet in the latter stages.