NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

I don't care who starts really. They are all decent players. But I can't invisage England winning a WC without Foden being intregal to the side. Like he needs to be front and centre of what we do. This biggest knock I'll give Southgate is, somehow not finding a way of getting best out of Foden. He should be building side around him (and Kane)

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to care about what side Southgate put out, now I think we're so defensive that whichever attacking option he chooses, they will look worse than they do for their club.

Also Iran are managed by Queiroz, I really hope we just score a set piece after 15 minutes or something so I don't get too frustrated.

Kicking off about this inclusivity armband now :rolleyes:  Saying if we wear it it might lead to “sporting sanctions” rather than just a fine for the FA. Like the ref goes and gives Harry Kane an instant booking in the first minute and makes him take it off.

I think they’ll bottle it. As soon as there’s a threat of getting booked or officials not allowing them to even take the field with them on they’ll cave. Van Dijk has already pretty much said if they’re going to book me I’m not wearing it.

I dunno, can you seriously expect them all to wear it if it risks compromising the teams' results?

Stupid though.  It blows up into a massive story and players either get booked for nothing, or they very loudly and very publicly back down just before kickoff... all the big European countries united against FIFA.  Qatar look far more absurd and far more intolerant in the eyes of the world.  Should have just let them wear the armband in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

if it risks compromising the teams' results?

Exactly.

As we talked some days ago, they want to be supportive, but they still care about bloody money trophy way more.

God forbid we compromise the result, that would mean all those slave workers died for nothing.

If Netherlands and England say they'll leave the pitch if captains get booked because of the armband and actually do it, the entire WC is invalid.

But noone will do it, because they care more about the result than promoting the rights they want to promote.

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

What a symbol it would be though if Kane did wear the arm band and got booked immediately. It would cause a huge issue for FIFA

Agreed, it would be a WC story for the ages.  Something people are still talking about in 20 years... up there with the Zaire freekick and the Kuwaiti walkoff.  And Kane has to go first obviously, but even better if the other captains as well do it already KNOWING they will definitely get booked.

Personally I think they should all do it, but I understand if they don't.  If they were prepared to put a Qatar protest ahead of sporting success they could have boycotted altogether.

6 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Ok Gareth, your sarcasm is noted. 

Sarcasm :confused:  It's a massive story if countries get deliberate bookings, even more so if it costs someone a player later in the game.  The kind of thing people will be talking about in 20 years on those "50 World Cup Moments" shows.  So for that reason they should do it, force a story that endures long after this WC has been and gone.  Just don't think they will risk the game when push comes to shove.

Edited by Rob1981

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Sarcasm :confused:  It's a massive story if countries get deliberate bookings, even more so if it costs someone a player later in the game.  The kind of thing people will be talking about in 20 years on those "50 World Cup Moments" shows.  So for that reason they should do it, force a story that endures long after this WC has been and gone.  Just don't think they will risk the game when push comes to shove.

Haha sorry - thought you were taking the ****! I'm tired.

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Foden

Saka
Kane
Rashford

That would be my team for today. Mount and Sterling aren't playing well right now and shouldn't be starting.

Kane is better with pace and directness in front of him, so would go with Rashford and Saka

Would be mental to leave Foden out, if that line up above is correct

Yeah, if the leaked team is:

Pickford, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Sterling, Kane, Saka

Probably put Foden in ahead of Mount, but happy with it otherwise. 

Surely Iran are looking for a point here, then they try and win one of their other games if they look easier on paper.

20 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Foden

Saka
Kane
Rashford

That would be my team for today. Mount and Sterling aren't playing well right now and shouldn't be starting.

Kane is better with pace and directness in front of him, so would go with Rashford and Saka

Would be mental to leave Foden out, if that line up above is correct

I’m sure there’s a defender who would also meet your criteria. 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

I dunno, can you seriously expect them all to wear it if it risks compromising the teams' results?

Stupid though.  It blows up into a massive story and players either get booked for nothing, or they very loudly and very publicly back down just before kickoff... all the big European countries united against FIFA.  Qatar look far more absurd and far more intolerant in the eyes of the world.  Should have just let them wear the armband in the first place.

Well yea. Otherwise saying football more important than the people you campaigning for.

26 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I think everyone has already said that... just by being there in the first place.

But follow through with what you say you going to do.

What's going to happen, referee sends off Kane. Kane passes it over to Maguire, referee sends off Maguire, and so on and game cancelled due to not having 7 players on the pitch. 

Great look for Fifa.

40 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I think everyone has already said that... just by being there in the first place.

Probably something to do with having the conviction to follow through with your intended actions.

Edited by sc91

Grealish told TalkSport : “We all got given flowers. I haven’t put them in a vase yet. There was a camel and that as well, I got on the camel’s back, there was a bird, I don’t know what bird it was. The camel fully stood up, I was so high, I was scared. I got on it but I didn’t think it would go as high as it did because I didn’t realise how big it would be and when it stood up it was so big.”

I remember my first Primary school trip as well :D

Edited by Baptista_8

7 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

That team actually a lot better than I expected to be fair, at least no back 5. 

If you lineup like that, you have to be considered among the favorites. I'll believe Southgate will stay that aggressive when I see it though. 

18 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Has Rob hacked your account?

Gareth is like a lover you've started to tire of. She's getting on your nerves a bit. The spark has gone, we've had a few rows recently. It's probably time to end it and go separate ways but then she surprises you with a romantic weekend away and dinner at Rick Steins, and the sparks back again

56 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Gareth is like a lover you've started to tire of. She's getting on your nerves a bit. The spark has gone, we've had a few rows recently. It's probably time to end it and go separate ways but then she surprises you with a romantic weekend away and dinner at Rick Steins, and the sparks back again

Sure, but then he takes you to a posh Italian place and suddenly he gets tight with his wallet and you can only order starters and water, and you remember how frustrating he is and how great things would be if he just let the relationship have more freedom 

Edited by Barry Cartman

18 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Sure, but then he takes you to a posh Italian place and suddenly he gets tight with his wallet and you can only order starters and water, and you remember how frustrating he is and how great things would be if he just let the relationship have more freedom 

Yeah, but then you go to the Persian place and he’s ordering everything off the menu and buying drinks for people on the next table. And everyone’s having the time of their lives. And people in the Argentine restaurant over the road are looking on and wishing they’d eaten somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, but then you go to the Persian place and he’s ordering everything off the menu and buying drinks for people on the next table. And everyone’s having the time of their lives. And people in the Argentine restaurant over the road are looking on and wishing they’d eaten somewhere else.

But hopefully by the time he gets to the cheap, nasty American burger bar he hasn't spaffed everything in his wallet and there's nothing left

50 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Wilson training with yesterday’s starting eleven and not the subs. Do we start thinking Kane is a doubt for Friday or are we overthinking it? He did take a right clout before he went off.

I wonder if maybe they're just letting Kane test for today's session to not make the injury worse? Hopefully it's not anything too bad in any case.