BBC refusing to show the opening ceremony backfires

thefmveteran86

• Administrators
Just now, Rebs said:

I don't really get what the issue is???

People were expecting to see the opening ceremony (I was, anyway). Instead we got BBC clips about the controversies surrounding the hosting.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rebs said:

Opening ceremonies are **** anyway, who gives a ****???

Why so angry? :D I don't really. Would have like to have seen JK perform (sure lots of others would too) but not a big deal.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Why so angry? :D I don't really. Would have like to have seen JK perform (sure lots of others would too) but not a big deal.

I'd have been angrier if I'd have been subjected to watching an hour of BTS guy 😁😁😁

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

When was the last time a football opening ceremony was shown properly?

I remember World Cup 1994 and Euro 1996 being shown, but I don't recall any of the others getting the same treatment as an Olympic opening ceremony and for good reason.

32 minutes ago, Ackter said:

It's going to be funny as **** when the BBC cameras are banned from all future matches.

They’re giving the international feed that all countries have.

Be more banned from studios, but then I’m sure part of World Cup criteria is being able to supply studio space so not sure that’s possible? Be messy if they start banning people for speaking out.

52 minutes ago, Ackter said:

It's going to be funny as **** when the BBC cameras are banned from all future matches.

Which cameras? Other than the ones in the studio, everything match related will be provided by the host broadcasters.

Plus plenty of countries regularly avoid showing opening ceremonies of events. The US are notorious for it.

2 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Plus plenty of countries regularly avoid showing opening ceremonies of events. The US are notorious for it.

Not enough breaks to show TV ads?

I don't really object to not showing the opening ceremony on BBC1 but I think they should have mentioned on BBC1 that coverage of the ceremony was on red button/website for viewers who wanted to see it, and given a brief outline of who was going to be performing etc.  If they did mention it, I missed it.

2 minutes ago, martinji said:

I don't really object to not showing the opening ceremony on BBC1 but I think they should have mentioned on BBC1 that coverage of the ceremony was on red button/website for viewers who wanted to see it, and given a brief outline of who was going to be performing etc.  If they did mention it, I missed it.

They did mention it during the Chelsea and Spurs game that was on whilst it was happening to be fair.

The pundits in the studio from 3PM - 4PM before kick off didn’t mention it because it had already finished by then.

I’m not sure if the ceremony was always meant to be 2-3 hours before kick off or if BBC had the Chelsea/Spurs game booked in and didn’t like the optics of bumping a big women’s game for the opening ceremony so soon after the women won the Euros. 

5 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

They did mention it during the Chelsea and Spurs game that was on whilst it was happening to be fair.

The pundits in the studio from 3PM - 4PM before kick off didn’t mention it because it had already finished by then.

I’m not sure if the ceremony was always meant to be 2-3 hours before kick off or if BBC had the Chelsea/Spurs game booked in and didn’t like the optics of bumping a big women’s game for the opening ceremony so soon after the women won the Euros. 

ah I see - thanks.  I'd misunderstood.