Extended highlights or Key highlights

Call me a fanatic, but I watch all the matches on comprehensive highlights simce FM19. Even friendlies. And there is always something to spot about your players and tactics.

And no, it doesn't drastically increase the time you need for a season. Scouting carefully and processing lots of playable leagues takes much more time.

11 hours ago, Konfuchie said:

Call me a fanatic, but I watch all the matches on comprehensive highlights simce FM19. Even friendlies. And there is always something to spot about your players and tactics.

And no, it doesn't drastically increase the time you need for a season. Scouting carefully and processing lots of playable leagues takes much more time.

Same 

Always play on comprehensive.  'Extended' is OK if you're pushed for time, but I can't really see the point of 'key' unless you're using a plug and play tactic or trying to manage via stats. 

I feel like extended is essential because you wont notice when you are losing and how. Once I am by far the most dominant team in my country (like not dropping a league match in a season) and am only interested in champions league, I will go key, or even simulate.

On 06/03/2023 at 13:55, steff91 said:

Hey folks ive  been wondering what everyones favorite method of watching games are? Do you prefer extended or key highlights? And why?...

In the Tactics forum you say you're just starting out trying to understand and develop tactics.

With that in mind I'd suggest watching the first 10-15 minutes of each match in full before switching to shorter highlights - at least until you are more comfortable with what you are looking at.

This is because any highlights package is just that - they're highlights of what the game thinks might be interesting (goals, chances etc).  But when developing a system you're not only interested in that: you need to see how your players behave at any given point, not just when the game thinks it's interesting.  The opening 10-15 mins can also set the scene for the rest of the match and you could miss all of that with even the longest "highlights" set.

By all means swap to shorter highlights once you are confident, but when you are a "rookie" (as you put it) at tactics watching just highlights from the get go can be misleading.

Note - if you don't have the patience to watch the first 10-15 mins in full, just up the play back speed to say 1.5x or whatever :thup:.

31 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Note - if you don't have the patience to watch the first 10-15 mins in full, just up the play back speed to say 1.5x or whatever :thup:.

Watching the first 15 minutes assumes that the match will follow the same dynamic, but it doesn't. The whole "momentum" thing plus subs attest that it can change dramatically over its course. So, the first 15 minute watching is no longer a good indication of how the match unfolds.

1 hour ago, phd_angel said:

Watching the first 15 minutes assumes that the match will follow the same dynamic, but it doesn't. The whole "momentum" thing plus subs attest that it can change dramatically over its course. So, the first 15 minute watching is no longer a good indication of how the match unfolds.

Whether you agree or disagree with this particular point isn’t the issue.

The main point is watching highlights only, especially if trying to better understand tactics, doesn’t always give you a complete picture because the game is deciding what to show you.

Short of watching matches in full, watching the opening period in full can be a great way of learning.

Edited by herne79