Personality v Attributes for HOYD

I know this question has been beat into the ground a bit, but I also know these sorts of variables change from game to game, so I was curious if there's any update on this calculation?

Which is better in this case, Perfectionist personality but less strong attributes, or near-perfect attributes with a more average personality?

image.thumb.png.2ca912105bfb95312a7e63438d37357f.pngimage.thumb.png.fac7e0f2aa1ff30f49feb339fff75518.png

I would go for the top one, no doubt. If his attributes were in the single digits, I'd have to think about it, but minor differences like that does not change my mind. I don't have any proof, other than anecdotal from my own saves, but getting in great personalities in all my youth staff are key for all my youth saves. And I very often get loads of good personality youngsters from it.

30 minutes ago, XaW said:

I would go for the top one, no doubt. If his attributes were in the single digits, I'd have to think about it, but minor differences like that does not change my mind. I don't have any proof, other than anecdotal from my own saves, but getting in great personalities in all my youth staff are key for all my youth saves. And I very often get loads of good personality youngsters from it.

This - combined with his 3,5 stars of reputation compared to the 1,5 on the guy below.

Gotta love forums - the first two replies are very confident exact opposites of each other haha

I may actually wait until the below guy's contract expires in 3 months before making a decision, because he seems to be the best of them all, no? I just took over Galatasaray in March, one week after the prior youth intake, and the club already has someone in the role, so I can take a risk and wait a bit.

Galli doesn't want to enter into discussions because he doesn't want to leave Italy, but maybe that response will change if/when he is unemployed? (Absolutely baffled as to why he is currently an U20 performance analyst - a role he's terrible in - for a club fighting relegation.)

image.thumb.png.a7d53aa049cba7f7a83e4daed4def781.png

Both of their importance is vastly overrated

The Fairly Loyal guy will slightly nudge some players' Loyalty up and Determination and Ambition and Adaptability down, but will also infrequently boost the CA and PA of your most outstanding youth intake players

The Perfectionist will nudge some players Ambition and Professionalism up and Adaptability and Temperament down and will tend to boost the CA and PA of the best players in an intake by a smaller amount (and is obviously a much better coach)

Media Handling variables may also give a bit more hint on what the other personality attribute effects are. But they're not that big anyway, and the RNG and your other staff and the country defaults will all have impacts. I've heard it suggested the impact phases in over three years too.

In general, I'd pick the Perfectionist, but if you're only using the elite players out of your intake (and have plenty of other coaches and youngsters with the right personalities), the other guy might actually help a bit more

14 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Both of their importance is vastly overrated

The Fairly Loyal guy will slightly nudge some players' Loyalty up and Determination and Ambition and Adaptability down, but will also infrequently boost the CA and PA of your most outstanding youth intake players

The Perfectionist will nudge some players Ambition and Professionalism up and Adaptability and Temperament down and will tend to boost the CA and PA of the best players in an intake by a smaller amount (and is obviously a much better coach)

Media Handling variables may also give a bit more hint on what the other personality attribute effects are. But they're not that big anyway, and the RNG and your other staff and the country defaults will all have impacts. I've heard it suggested the impact phases in over three years too.

In general, I'd pick the Perfectionist, but if you're only using the elite players out of your intake (and have plenty of other coaches and youngsters with the right personalities), the other guy might actually help a bit more

So, assuming I bring in solid coaches, Galli is probably the best of both worlds? Sacrificing his coaching attributes for WWY/JPP/Det + Model Citizen.

43 minutes ago, Weston said:

So, assuming I bring in solid coaches, Galli is probably the best of both worlds? Sacrificing his coaching attributes for WWY/JPP/Det + Model Citizen.

Yeah, I'd agree. 

Gives a slightly higher probability of Italian newgens too (like any other foreign staff), not that this is any better than German newgens.

54 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Yeah, I'd agree. 

Gives a slightly higher probability of Italian newgens too (like any other foreign staff), not that this is any better than German newgens.

Cool, I'll wait til the summer then and see if I can pry him away from his home country if he's a free agent.

On 21/03/2023 at 10:38, Ostemad said:

combined with his 3,5 stars of reputation compared to the 1,5 on the guy below.

This doesn't have any effect on how well a HoYD does his job.

I tend to go for personality only and not worry too much about the attributes.

Regardless of who you go with, take another look in the next transfer window to see if you can't find a model citizen.  Chances are one will pop up.

IMHO, I would go first for Personality (eg. Model Citizen, Model Professional, Professional, Perfectionist, Resolute), Media Handling Style (eg. Evasive, Reserved), Working with Youngsters and then rest. I will wait 3-5 seasons to kick in the effects from HoYD.

1 minute ago, Dreambuilder said:

But higher reputation attract better newgens or something?

No. A higher rep club can though, particularly when the clubs have the same level of youth recruitment.

It's all covered here: 

and here:

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

No. A higher rep club can though, particularly when the clubs have the same level of youth recruitment.

It's all covered here: 

and here:

I actually think I read somewhere that a higher HoYD rep could help with how often they poach players from other clubs. I can't find the thread now though, so I might be off...

Also, one thing I failed to mention in my earlier posts, I also value the preferred formation and playing style in a HoYD. The reason is because if their are similar to mine, the player they bring through are more likely to be molded into the type of player I want. If I want Inverted wide players for my 4-3-3 DM Wide for example, it's not a good idea to have a HoYD who prefer 4-4-2 wing play as an example.

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

I actually think I read somewhere that a higher HoYD rep could help with how often they poach players from other clubs. I can't find the thread now though, so I might be off...

Would be interesting if you can find it. This was from Seb a while ago:

He did say 'no direct' impact, so that could leave itself open to what you're referring to.

In another thread, this is mentioned:

It's a few years old, so may be updated. I try to keep bookmarks for important posts with valuable information and as far as I know this is still correct, though could have missed information recently with me not being that active on the forum.

28 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Would be interesting if you can find it. This was from Seb a while ago:

He did say 'no direct' impact, so that could leave itself open to what you're referring to.

In another thread, this is mentioned:

It's a few years old, so may be updated. I try to keep bookmarks for important posts with valuable information and as far as I know this is still correct, though could have missed information recently with me not being that active on the forum.

Yeah, I just found the same thread now, and I think Seb is being deliberately obtuse about the reputation there as SI has said they don't want to give all the secrets out. So I guess we can think of reputation as a tie breaker. :D 

That said, reading through old post I also noticed that Seb says that ALL youth coaches has an impact on newgens, but the HoYD has a higher impact. While I've always tried to focus on the personality there, I have not paid enough attention to the rest of the factors. Need to get on that in my saves! :D

11 minutes ago, XaW said:

That said, reading through old post I also noticed that Seb says that ALL youth coaches has an impact on newgens, but the HoYD has a higher impact. While I've always tried to focus on the personality there, I have not paid enough attention to the rest of the factors. Need to get on that in my saves! :D

Makes sense as the newgens often have favourite personel among the u19 coaches

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It's a few years old, so may be updated.

Yeah this is why, though I feel a bit silly checking in on similar questions every few years, the fact that you can see things changing in real time by scrolling through those multi-year threads always keeps me guessing.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

What's interesting about this is I can only seem to recall getting poached, never poaching. Last time I took a screenshot of the message the opposing club's HoYD had only .5* of rep, far lower than my own.

6 minutes ago, Weston said:

What's interesting about this is I can only seem to recall getting poached, never poaching. Last time I took a screenshot of the message the opposing club's HoYD had only .5* of rep, far lower than my own.

I had one a while back, posted it in the youth challenge thread. Perhaps I can dig it up...

Here it is, was in FM22

I got 17 players in the youth intake rather than the normal 16 players. Do note I didn't receive an inbox item showing that we had poached a player before he appeared. So there might be an issue with it not generating an inbox item when you do it. Could be the reason why _no one_ has seen it....?

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

I've definitely seen the message. It would look like this:

ewovuhlg7ws61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Yeah, I also had it in FM20, but I haven't had it since. Have you had it in FM22 or 23?

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, I also had it in FM20, but I haven't had it since. Have you had it in FM22 or 23?

Not sure, tbh. It doesn't seem like it's something that happens often.