FM24 - Set Pieces

25 minutes ago, Mst82 said:

How do I switch from editing my left side corners to right side corners :lol::lol::lol:

Dear god. I've spent the last hour trying to figure it all out, horrendous!

You don't have to anymore you just need to set it up once 

47 minutes ago, DarJ said:

You don't have to anymore you just need to set it up once 

Mate I have little idea as to WTF is going on with it. I haven’t played a single game since I downloaded it at 6:30pm.

It is absolutely diabolical to look at. I’ll have another with fresh eyes tomorrow. What a waste of an evening. 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Hibs1875 said:

Have to save I can’t get to grips with the new set pieces. Always seem to have my full backs up the pitch when defending 😂

If you've got multiple "stay back if needed" set as the instructions, it is likely that some or even most of them end up using the fallback instruction (go forward or lurk outside area) because most of the opposing teams nowadays only leave one player to stay forward when defending a set piece. In some cases they might not leave anyone up. If you want to make sure both of your fullbacks stay back for a set piece, set two instructions in the Recovery Defenders to "stay back" (not "stay back if needed") and make sure your fullbacks are top of the priority list for Recovery Defenders. And then you can bump the Recovery Defenders up the category priority list (on the right side of that pop-up) if those fullbacks are still getting assigned to other categories.

I'm looking at it again now, sorry but it's absolutely awful! I can't seem to pick a left footed player to take wide free-kicks on the left hand side.

Far too much to do, it's so rigid and convoluted. There was nowt wrong with the set-pieces in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Mst82 said:

I'm looking at it again now, sorry but it's absolutely awful! I can't seem to pick a left footed player to take wide free-kicks on the left hand side.

Far too much to do, it's so rigid and convoluted. There was nowt wrong with the set-pieces in the first place. 

I think you might be alone in thinking that. Set pieces was one of the biggest gripes UI wise across the whole FM community. I advise you to retake the introduction if you struggle. There are also video guides already on Youtube. Workthespace has a good one for example.

8 minutes ago, Mst82 said:

I absolutely love it!! This alone is the reason I decided to buy FM24. I skipped FM23. Set pieces can account for 25goals a season in real life. It's been missing in the game for too long. Your over complicating it in your head it's a very smart easy to use system. Hats off to SI. 

If you want a left footer taking it from the left side make sure you got it set as outswinging. If it’s set as inswinging it will automatically pick from your right footer list.

also check you haven’t ticked the box to have a certain player as your default taker as he will take it from both sides.

10 minutes ago, styluz05 said:

I absolutely love it!! This alone is the reason I decided to buy FM24. I skipped FM23. Set pieces can account for 25goals a season in real life. It's been missing in the game for too long. Your over complicating it in your head it's a very smart easy to use system. Hats off to SI. 

What I love the most about it is the variation between the AI, some play short, some play to the far post, some to the near post and some try to play it to the center for a player to have a shot at goal 

Edited by DarJ

13 hours ago, Mst82 said:

How do I switch from editing my left side corners to right side corners :lol::lol::lol:

Dear god. I've spent the last hour trying to figure it all out, horrendous!

Had the same problem last night. Could not change / edit anything. Although...

1- It is a new tool and surely requires to look into some guide or videos;

2- I did not placed much attention on this because I was much more curious with the 3d engine (awesome!!!)

3- I realized I had a coach set with the responsibility to manage set pieces :lol:

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Mst82 said:

I can't seem to pick a left footed player to take wide free-kicks on the left hand side.

Free Kick Wide - Attack - select Outswinger as the delivery swing and Bob's your uncle. As long as you have setup your list of left footed takers that is.

Yes yous have added a Wizard to make things easier for people that have no intention of doing it themselfs, but as soon as you try to customize everything yourself the layout and navigation is just terrible, and why cant i have my left corner being a inswinger and my right corner being a outswinger, its either one or the other.

As usual good idea but terrible execution, not surprised to be honest when you have been apart of FM for as long as i have, and yes the match engine is looking good at the moment but as usual come full release it will play completely different and ruin the entire experience just like last year.

27 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

why cant i have my left corner being a inswinger and my right corner being a outswinger, its either one or the other.

You can, set up two routines (one for each) and set one player as the main taker and this will happen.

28 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

As usual good idea but terrible execution

Firmly disagree, I think it works wonders and I found it extremely easy to use, but with a powerful impact.

28 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

and yes the match engine is looking good at the moment but as usual come full release it will play completely different and ruin the entire experience just like last year.

Well, aren't you a shining beacon of optimism...

• SI Staff
59 minutes ago, XaW said:

You can, set up two routines (one for each) and set one player as the main taker and this will happen.

Firmly disagree, I think it works wonders and I found it extremely easy to use, but with a powerful impact.

Well, aren't you a shining beacon of optimism...

XaW is bang on here - one way to look at 'inswingers from one side and outswingers from the other' is - you only want right footers or left footers taking corners.

So all you need to do is make an outswing and inswing routine, then only set left or right footers in your takers list. Or use the 'default set piece taker' toggle.

The set piece system is radically different to the old one, so we absolutely expect a bit of a learning curve. But once you get used to it we're convinced that it's a much better and more flexible system that better reflects how real-life coaches set up routines.

4 hours ago, Mst82 said:

Many people have been wanting changes to set pieces for years as the old ones were basic and not really fit for purpose.  The new set piece creator actually creates many more possibilities, but it does take a little bit of getting used to the new interface.

4 minutes ago, SynergyIso7 said:

From the actual corner kick?

I have 6 in my first 14 league matches. I also have 1 direct freekick, and 4 from indirect freekicks. A tad bit high perhaps.

I’ve scored from an absolutely class short corner routine and similarly from a wide free kick.

The set pieces themselves look class, on the pitch, but it took some doing getting them all set up. Best part of 24 hours 🤣

I'm probably being dumb but could anyone explain how to do the following?

• I want my left sided corners to be outswingers (taken by left footed player) and go to near post
  • I want my right sided corners to be inswingers (taken by left footed player) and go to far post

As far as I can tell I need to use the same routine(s) for both sides :(

New system is really BAD.

For different tactics I used different routines, but now every time I change tactics I have to change the routines. For defensive tactics less players for attacking corners, for attacking tactics more. Routines have to pair for tactics like before, now most of my time have to waste for change routine every time when I change tactics, it's too much time. You have to save the routines for the tactics, when I change tactic, the routine have to change automatically.

Yeah, it's also a problem.

And if you want to make the perfect ranking for the roles basically takes forever. AI set pieces advices are useless, have to make manually everything. Also don't have the freedom to assign roles, like if I want to send 4 players to stay forward, I can't, only 3.

So if the new system can only offer this, than the previuos was better. Hope things will improve in full game, because this is worst than before.

If people are genuinely having issues with this, I'd suggest taking the time to learn it indepth (it's completely different so there will be a lot of getting used to it), or just do what I do, and leave it to your set piece coach. I've only tweaked a couple of things, and it's working well enough with the coaches doing the rest. 

14 hours ago, Mst82 said:

There was nowt wrong with the set-pieces in the first place. 

I think this wins the award for 'Worst take of the year' :lol:

No offence. 

7 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I think this wins the award for 'Worst take of the year' :lol:

No offence. 

None taken. I was quite successful with the set pieces in the previous version, and it was much easier to “drag and drop” and swap players. It was a lot more fluid and flexible.

My throw-ins on FM23 were superb, now I’ve lost that in FM24 as I only have 2 options and can’t move my players around seemingly?

With this new version, you can’t swap set piece roles easily. If I want to swap the player on the left of the box with the player centre of the box, it really isn’t simple to do due to the ranking aspect.

The set pieces on the pitch themselves look great, but the set up is cumbersome and complex and takes ages to get spot on.

3 hours ago, Mst82 said:

None taken. I was quite successful with the set pieces in the previous version, and it was much easier to “drag and drop” and swap players. It was a lot more fluid and flexible.

My throw-ins on FM23 were superb, now I’ve lost that in FM24 as I only have 2 options and can’t move my players around seemingly?

With this new version, you can’t swap set piece roles easily. If I want to swap the player on the left of the box with the player centre of the box, it really isn’t simple to do due to the ranking aspect.

The set pieces on the pitch themselves look great, but the set up is cumbersome and complex and takes ages to get spot on.

It was also quick and simple to rearrange my set pieces after a sub, now I have to figure out all of the permutations with blockers, trackers etc after each sub. It’s so tedious man. 

• SI Staff
22 hours ago, lgsnelh said:

I'm probably being dumb but could anyone explain how to do the following?

• I want my left sided corners to be outswingers (taken by left footed player) and go to near post
  • I want my right sided corners to be inswingers (taken by left footed player) and go to far post

If i'm understanding your setup correctly - you should be able to just set left footed takers, no right footed takers in the list.

This way as long as one of your left foot takers are on the pitch, they'll take the set piece regardless.

If it's not working this way for you, then it's a bug that should be reported in the bugs forums.

On 21/10/2023 at 20:11, Jack Joyce said:

If i'm understanding your setup correctly - you should be able to just set left footed takers, no right footed takers in the list.

This way as long as one of your left foot takers are on the pitch, they'll take the set piece regardless.

If it's not working this way for you, then it's a bug that should be reported in the bugs forums.

I’m struggling with this too - I don’t have a suitable right footer in my match day side so it’s defaulting to the “next best” taker. If you change it to outswinger the corner on the right changes to outswinger too and the same rubbish take is assigned by default.

Why can’t right and left corners be independent of each other? For example, an outswinger on one side and an inswinger on the other??

I absolutely despise this new set piece set up, the maintenance it requires is beyond belief.

I'll drag this fella over here so he goes forward - but in reality he goes somewhere else and someone else appears where I thought I dragged him to!

The amount of changes you need to make with set pieces when you're chasing a game as well, dear me. It's so rigid, it's absolutely horrible.

I also concede a goal from a throw-in literally every game. I mean it was overpowered in FM23 but this is even worse.

Thank god it's only the BETA, I pray you get it sorted out. 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Mst82 said:

I’m struggling with this too - I don’t have a suitable right footer in my match day side so it’s defaulting to the “next best” taker. If you change it to outswinger the corner on the right changes to outswinger too and the same rubbish take is assigned by default.

Why can’t right and left corners be independent of each other? For example, an outswinger on one side and an inswinger on the other??

As I've already said, if you only set left footed takers then you should only be seeing the left footed takers you've assigned taking corners during the match. IF that's not the case then you should report it as a bug with a save game and PKM file.

4 minutes ago, Mst82 said:

I absolutely despise this new set piece set up, the maintenance it requires is beyond belief.

I'll drag this fella over here so he goes forward - but in reality he goes somewhere else and someone else appears where I thought I dragged him to!

The amount of changes you need to make with set pieces when you're chasing a game as well, dear me. It's so rigid, it's absolutely horrible.

I also concede a goal from a throw-in literally every game. I mean it was overpowered in FM23 but this is even worse.

Thank god it's only the BETA, I pray you get it sorted out. 

You've now gone from hating it to loving it, and back to hating it within a week. Are you sure you are not getting caught in the heat of the moment depending on if you win or not?

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

You've now gone from hating it to loving it, and back to hating it within a week. Are you sure you are not getting caught in the heat of the moment depending on if you win or not?

What I said was, I like how it looks on field. Not once have I said I love the set up side. I find it disgusting. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

As I've already said, if you only set left footed takers then you should only be seeing the left footed takers you've assigned taking corners during the match. IF that's not the case then you should report it as a bug with a save game and PKM file.

I have no idea what this means

Just now, Mst82 said:

What I said was, I like how it looks on field. Not once have I said I love the set up side. I find it disgusting. 

Well, you've been told to how to do what you wanted in the OP, and Jack has told you to report it in hte bug tracker if it doesn't work. Now this is turning into a feedback thread, so I think we'll close this off. You know what to do.

• XaW locked this topic