Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

On 02/03/2024 at 02:33, JamieTC13 said:

Same here mate, and its pretty shocking really and very disappointing considering Miles said it will be the most complete edition yet and tbf its very far from being that 

I'm not shocked by it at all. Standard marketting :thdn:

Edited by whatsupdoc

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, chris72 said:

match engine still bit boring anyone else agree?

I'm watching on extended highlights and spend most of my time reading commentary

passing is very slow and boring 

Well, I got some flak about this when I posted. But for me, it was the almost predictability of the game flow. Far too often you know the other team has to score first before you can score. Just missing a few easy chances in the first ten minutes you know they'll have their first attack and score. I guess some people then fall into the trap of making changes but I just wait because I know I'll be in the lead by halftime, esp if they score an own goal or penalty. I guess this is the way the game scores you as a manager. The same with being behind at halftime - have had those games when the first highlight the other team scores 2 goals and you know you have to do a Fergie on the players at half-time so you can go out and win the game. These are the things for me that are repetitive and so boring.

I don't see speed as a problem you can adjust that.

56 minutes ago, cherryman71 said:

Marketing is not an excuse. The game this year has not been as promised, doesn't look like its now going to be improved, and people are rightfully p***ed off. The only improvement I've noticed in the latest patch is that there is no longer a lag when selecting first teamers for the reserves. Whoopee-doo. We were promised some things that haven't happened and I'm disappointed in SI. Not much more to say. Maybe the game will come out next year with all its new bells and whistles, and knock us all off our feet. But is that just marketing too? Trust has gone now and won't come back unless FM25 is amazing. Hint - do not hold your breath

Agreed! I rarely use the word "marketting" in a flattering sense.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Since the new winter update has come out I can't start a new game with any of the added countries/leagues files working now.

Any reason for this?

The editor files all need to be verified/saved with the new database. Regular database edits should be fine just being loaded into the editor with the new database and re-saved, but league/country/rule changes need to be verified and may not work until the author has updated them.

Edited by NineCloudNine

20 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

The editor files all need to be verified/saved with the new database. Regular database edits should be fine just being loaded into the editor with the new database and re-saved, but league/country/rule changes need to be verified and may not work until the author has updated them.

Ok thank you.

8 minutes ago, The About Average Jake said:

It's been a long road but.....

Finally! I think this is my greatest FM achievement. It's definitely my longest ever save.

Football Manager Screenshot 2024.03.01 - 12.22.24.06.png

Football Manager Screenshot 2024.03.01 - 12.22.45.68.png

Nice work! :brock:

6 hours ago, The About Average Jake said:

It's been a long road but.....

Finally! I think this is my greatest FM achievement. It's definitely my longest ever save.

Football Manager Screenshot 2024.03.01 - 12.22.24.06.png

Football Manager Screenshot 2024.03.01 - 12.22.45.68.png

Love these. Share your squad!

Il 29/2/2024 in 19:45 , Zachary Whyte ha scritto:

A further data update will follow in the coming weeks, covering transfers and player data changes from later closing transfer windows, including China & MLS. 

OK. So will the next update bring a new and final database (2440)?

At the same time, will the fixes that will be made to the ME, and not only, be the last for this FM24?

50 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

I honestly think there's a problem at the helm. No bad intentions there, of course, but after years in charge, tunnel vision kicks in. For a couple of years, there's a focus on bright, shiny new features, but they don't necessarily function properly, create knock on effects or are pure waste of time for the coders of the game. I really like the data hub, but what if the stats don't make sense or what if every team has more or less the same amount of pressing? The one thing that has to function properly, is the ME, and after the last version in FM 23, FM 24 is a huge step back. Positional play has done more bad than good. Because now, every AI team uses fancy roles, creates overloads, passes the ball around like they're prime Barcelona. It's quite impossible to create a tactic that in possession isn't focused on keeping the ball. You can max out your settings all you want, use the most basic of roles, but hoofball you won't get, not even clear. I guess the match engine is great fun for people who like to play a short passing game, fluid positional play, the visuals are clearly much better (in game motion and the graphics of the pitch itself) than ever. But then again, never ever has the game pushed you so hard in one direction to win games. There's no diversity in playing styles, manager stats don't seem to make a difference - for 'immersion' (the magic word) that's a big letdown.

What should've happened the last couple of years was a focus on the ME. More attention to the different ways teams defend (because at the moment, the way AC Milan defend under Sacchi 35 years ago was more advanced than what we can set up now), teams attack, central play. As has been pointed out, defending in a narrow, compact block is very common, but impossible to achieve in FM. In fact, I guess defending with overloads was easier on FIFA Manager 06 with its settings per zone where players should be in zonal marking. At the moment, there isn't 'a' marking system in FM. You could manually opt for pure man marking like in the catenaccio times (why is that even still a template?), if you put in the time, but ball oriented pressing, man oriented pressing, extreme compactness and shifting from side to side, defending two or three versus one... It all doesn't exist in Football Manager.

I applaud the move to include women's football, because it's important, the sport is getting bigger and bigger and deserves to be included in the biggest football management franchise. The cultural impact is huge. But that doesn't interfere with the many years to late that set pieces have been handled (and even then a bit lackluster, because again, not so many zonal defending options), with totally ignoring the requests to make international management more attractive by just... allowing existing features into that aspect of the game? Let's say: training in the international week, more communication options (not only when someone's injured), talking with players or agents about necessary career moves. (Things that are alluded to in some flash interviews, but there it ends.)

And then the lack of communication after the public announcement that there should be more communication... It's the biggest fault of all, I guess. There should be a game in the market that challenges FM - which in itself is a great game, but is so able to rest on its laurels that they move away from a real life football simulation to a world with its own rules, quirks, where - dare I say it? - knowledge of real life football will frustrate you more than it will help you, because yeah, the game is pushing you in the direction they push all AI teams. Short passing to perfection, medium pressing (but FM style), lack of chaos.

I'm afraid fresh eyes with thorough football knowledge and some experts in communication with the public will be necessary to get the game where it should be: an immersive football simulation of football in 2024, 2025, 2026... But now it's always one step forward, two ways back. The mods do an awesome job of communicating with the users in their free time, but SI can't rely on them. Somehow I think Nic Madden is one of the only ME developpers who truly knows its football and tries to make changes.

TL;DR: Afraid there's irreversible tunnel vision at the helm, lack of focus on real life football diversity, pushing the game in one direction, lack of communication, except by the mods, too little immersion, too little knowledge of the differences in how teams attack, defend, central play, different styles of pressing in a zonal way, essential aspects in the game that have or are being ignored for too long, lookin' forward to the implementation of women's football.

well said.

1 hour ago, Kcinnay said:

I honestly think there's a problem at the helm. No bad intentions there, of course, but after years in charge, tunnel vision kicks in. For a couple of years, there's a focus on bright, shiny new features, but they don't necessarily function properly, create knock on effects or are pure waste of time for the coders of the game. I really like the data hub, but what if the stats don't make sense or what if every team has more or less the same amount of pressing? The one thing that has to function properly, is the ME, and after the last version in FM 23, FM 24 is a huge step back. Positional play has done more bad than good. Because now, every AI team uses fancy roles, creates overloads, passes the ball around like they're prime Barcelona. It's quite impossible to create a tactic that in possession isn't focused on keeping the ball. You can max out your settings all you want, use the most basic of roles, but hoofball you won't get, not even clear. I guess the match engine is great fun for people who like to play a short passing game, fluid positional play, the visuals are clearly much better (in game motion and the graphics of the pitch itself) than ever. But then again, never ever has the game pushed you so hard in one direction to win games. There's no diversity in playing styles, manager stats don't seem to make a difference - for 'immersion' (the magic word) that's a big letdown.

What should've happened the last couple of years was a focus on the ME. More attention to the different ways teams defend (because at the moment, the way AC Milan defend under Sacchi 35 years ago was more advanced than what we can set up now), teams attack, central play. As has been pointed out, defending in a narrow, compact block is very common, but impossible to achieve in FM. In fact, I guess defending with overloads was easier on FIFA Manager 06 with its settings per zone where players should be in zonal marking. At the moment, there isn't 'a' marking system in FM. You could manually opt for pure man marking like in the catenaccio times (why is that even still a template?), if you put in the time, but ball oriented pressing, man oriented pressing, extreme compactness and shifting from side to side, defending two or three versus one... It all doesn't exist in Football Manager.

I applaud the move to include women's football, because it's important, the sport is getting bigger and bigger and deserves to be included in the biggest football management franchise. The cultural impact is huge. But that doesn't interfere with the many years to late that set pieces have been handled (and even then a bit lackluster, because again, not so many zonal defending options), with totally ignoring the requests to make international management more attractive by just... allowing existing features into that aspect of the game? Let's say: training in the international week, more communication options (not only when someone's injured), talking with players or agents about necessary career moves. (Things that are alluded to in some flash interviews, but there it ends.)

And then the lack of communication after the public announcement that there should be more communication... It's the biggest fault of all, I guess. There should be a game in the market that challenges FM - which in itself is a great game, but is so able to rest on its laurels that they move away from a real life football simulation to a world with its own rules, quirks, where - dare I say it? - knowledge of real life football will frustrate you more than it will help you, because yeah, the game is pushing you in the direction they push all AI teams. Short passing to perfection, medium pressing (but FM style), lack of chaos.

I'm afraid fresh eyes with thorough football knowledge and some experts in communication with the public will be necessary to get the game where it should be: an immersive football simulation of football in 2024, 2025, 2026... But now it's always one step forward, two ways back. The mods do an awesome job of communicating with the users in their free time, but SI can't rely on them. Somehow I think Nic Madden is one of the only ME developpers who truly knows its football and tries to make changes.

TL;DR: Afraid there's irreversible tunnel vision at the helm, lack of focus on real life football diversity, pushing the game in one direction, lack of communication, except by the mods, too little immersion, too little knowledge of the differences in how teams attack, defend, central play, different styles of pressing in a zonal way, essential aspects in the game that have or are being ignored for too long, lookin' forward to the implementation of women's football.

Bingo, FM24 ME is most definitely a huge step back and I do also think it's positional play has been a cause of this. There's also been more issues with broken roles than previously, and it's why I'm at a complete loss how there were no attempts to improve the ME for this latest patch.

And yes, it's why I personally won't be getting next year's game. Their priorities / vision for improving the game do not include the ME (at least not to the required level needed to push the game forwards long term),  so this will not change any time soon. Only the set pieces that was newly implemented may get a bit of attention.

The problem with positional play is that now there's another thing in there that they have to have. So you might try to change... idk, playing out from the back, and mess up the rotations somehow.

8 hours ago, Fabio2013 said:

OK. So will the next update bring a new and final database (2440)?

At the same time, will the fixes that will be made to the ME, and not only, be the last for this FM24?

imo on past experience it will be just a db update and maybe a few minor bugs there will be no match engine changes at this stage as they have moved on to fm25 

277db67de6d01dfb7afff97de17e0a1f.png

Another thing that makes no sense. See the reasoning the player gave as to why he didn't choose us? HE WAS THE ONE THAT SAID HE NEEDED A PLAYER/HOYD CONTRACT.

21 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

The fact that its impossible to sign Mbappe with Real Madrid in this FM24 is just utterly shamefull and so frustrating! Where is the realism in that!? 

In many ways trying and its just impossible, the club accepts the offer, then its saying Mbappe denied to negotiate contract as we dont have the financial power to get him! That makes no sense! Real Madrid not having the financial power, lol!

This is because in FM he wants a million a week whereas IRL he's going to be paid in-line with Madrid's top earners and get a 130m signing-on fee. I've never tried that singing structure in FM so no idea if it will work.

The "don't have financial power" thing is specifically linked to your remaining wage budget, which players you want to sign apparently know about through some form of telepathy. If you use the IGE to add a million or two to your weekly wage budget you'll be able to pay Mbappe what he wants - any subsequent problems with registration are on you :lol:!

3 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

The one thing that has to function properly, is the ME, and after the last version in FM 23, FM 24 is a huge step back

Thank you. We, or I guess the most part of us, watch football to see what is happening on the pitch.

With FM should be the same: first, get a great ME and then develop the rest of the features.

Today the ME for me looks like American Football. Corner kick = touchdown, throw-in = field goal and the rest of the highlights is about the teams getting in a position to score in one of these two situations.

3 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

some experts in communication with the public will be necessary to get the game where it should be

I'm afraid that SI wants to save money on this. They can hire a good agency and some good guys to work around the image and the communication between the clients (us) inside the brand. Look at their Youtube channel, for example. One of the main platforms today are neglected and I really don't know why. And I have nothing against Miles, nothing personal, but I don't think that he should be or that he fits to be the main "communication face" for this game in every launch anymore. We are in 2024 guys.

Edited by renato.

Having a competitive product on the market would be nice, but it's easier said than done. EA tried and failed with FIFA Manager, there was an Anstoss/Goal game last year but it got bad to middling reviews. The match engine gets a lot of criticism but it must be an insanely difficult thing to get right. 

7 minutes ago, endtime said:

Having a competitive product on the market would be nice, but it's easier said than done. EA tried and failed with FIFA Manager, there was an Anstoss/Goal game last year but it got bad to middling reviews. The match engine gets a lot of criticism but it must be an insanely difficult thing to get right. 

I agree, but why SI keeps putting new stuff over the old stuff? This is my real question but we also know the answer and it's not about developing the game well, even if they want to.

In the end it just gets worse with this knockdown effect.

People were complaining about setpieces and throw-ins since FM22? Now, for me, it just got worse in FM24, like some other aspects of the games for the others, because the matches turn around it being decided only by setpiece stuff.

Edited by renato.

I'm pretty sure people have been complaining about set pieces in one way or another since FM 05. There are some long-standing issues with the game and at this point my assumption is that SI can't rather than won't fix them. Plus, announcing a new game by saying "we didn't add anything new to this edition, but we fixed some bugs" will not be as enticing to the player base as some people here seem to think. 

Ultimately, it's your personal decision whether to buy the game or not. If you have experience with the series and SI's release cycle then you know what to expect. For me personally, this year has been particularly bad because SI have made some promises and I don't think they've delivered on any of them (AI squad building - same as or even worse than before, finances - I can't see any improvements, they introduced negative transfer budgets but I've read they don't work as they should, better interactions - absolutely not, better match engine - improved in some areas but worse in other aspects, etc.) and then pretty much gave up on resolving the issues and went radio silent, so I'll probably skip FM25.

Hugely disappointing update, things such as player interactions and the constant fringe player loan offers just ignored. Ai squad building still terrible.

Nothing on the ME either.

Sure Im barely touching the surface in terms of issues logged and acknowledged that have just been left.

The real shame is if these had been addressed we'd have had arguably the best release in a very long time as FM24 does a lot of things right too.

The game is laughing right at your face. Trying to manage Barcelona, one game I have 70% possesion, another one barely 40% but dominating the game with 15:0 shots....all actions are so predictable, repetitive and annoying like those quick equalizasers...this another update of FM2020 is not worthy your money or time...

7 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

Positional play has done more bad than good. Because now, every AI team uses fancy roles, creates overloads, passes the ball around like they're prime Barcelona.

I still don't understand the deal with positional play (I don't have FM24). Is it automatic? Doesn't it depend on player attributes like off the ball, decisions, teamwork, etc? Could it not be done in previous versions of FM given the right setup of roles and attributes?

13 minutes ago, Ein said:

I still don't understand the deal with positional play (I don't have FM24). Is it automatic? Doesn't it depend on player attributes like off the ball, decisions, teamwork, etc? Could it not be done in previous versions of FM given the right setup of roles and attributes?

As always with the creators of this game, we simply don't know. It was mentioned as a possibility, but it was not stated whether it's forced upon us. 

I asked a lot, even in the forums, on Tiwtter or Reddit if it is forced, but nobody knew. SI must have took it as a derogatory comment since they never answer. 

But the experience so far is that you are forced to play positional, even if you want to soak pressure, hoof the ball or play for actual set pieces.

Edited by Bahoi

12 minutes ago, Ein said:

Yes, the players will occupy the determined position on the pitch no matter what. Doesn't matter if you are a 7th tier team on the English pyramid or City with all the players """suited""" to it. They tried to follow what is happening with the mainstream football, but forgot that not everything turns around Premier League and Guardiola.

Edited by renato.

I don't know what may have caused it or if it's better or worse but I play full match mode and the ME is definitely playing differently.

23 minutes ago, Ein said:

What is different in FM24 is not so much what players with specific roles do, but how others around them react. For example the Half Back - one of my favourite roles - was always intended to stay deep in possession, but in FM24 the CBs move wide to allow the HB to drop between them to make a back three, allowing FB/WBs to push forward. Sergio Busquets was doing this a decade ago so the idea isn’t new, but its execution in FM is.

Another example is when a CB Libero steps into DM in possession, the actual DM will move to one side to make a double DM pivot. This didn’t used to happen either.

Other interactions are more complex as certain combinations of roles can have knock-on effects as players move in relation to each other and move between strata.

How well players do these things does (or at least should) depend on their attributes, which is why roles that trigger positional changes all require intelligence attributes like Decisions, Movement and Positioning. I think the general consensus is that such attributes are not as potent in the ME as they should be, making positional play (which should require elite players) easier for weaker teams to pull off. 

40 minutes ago, Bahoi said:

As always with the creators of this game, we simply don't know. It was mentioned as a possibility, but it was not stated whether it's forced upon us. 

I asked a lot, even in the forums, on Tiwtter or Reddit if it is forced, but nobody knew. SI must have took it as a derogatory comment since they never answer. 

But the experience so far is that you are forced to play positional, even if you want to soak pressure, hoof the ball or play for actual set pieces.

You're not forced to play positional. Certain roles rotate and certain roles don't. 

Roles that trigger rotations:

Defenders

• Inverted Wing-Back ( From FB & WB to DM ) 
  • Inverted Full-Back ( From FB to CB ) 
  • Libero ( From CB to DM )

Midfielders

• Half-Back ( From DM to CB )
  • Segundo Volante ( From DM to AM )
  • Roaming Playmaker ( From DM & CM to AM )
  • Box to Box Midfielder ( From CM to AM )
  • Central Midfielder Attack ( From CM to AM )
  • Advanced Playmaker ( From CM to AM )
  • Mezzala ( From CM to AM )

1 hour ago, NineCloudNine said:

What is different in FM24 is not so much what players with specific roles do, but how others around them react. For example the Half Back - one of my favourite roles - was always intended to stay deep in possession, but in FM24 the CBs move wide to allow the HB to drop between them to make a back three, allowing FB/WBs to push forward.

I thought they already did that in previous editions.

3 minutes ago, Ein said:

I thought they already did that in previous editions.

Like I said, the HB was always intended to drop deep, and did, but the CBs didn’t move wider; now they do. You could also always put a FB on defend and tell them to sit narrow, like an IFB, but the other CBs would not adjust their positions; now they do. 

Edited by NineCloudNine

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

You're not forced to play positional. Certain roles rotate and certain roles don't. 

Roles that trigger rotations:

Defenders

• Inverted Wing-Back ( From FB & WB to DM ) 
  • Inverted Full-Back ( From FB to CB ) 
  • Libero ( From CB to DM )

Midfielders

• Half-Back ( From DM to CB )
  • Segundo Volante ( From DM to AM )
  • Roaming Playmaker ( From DM & CM to AM )
  • Box to Box Midfielder ( From CM to AM )
  • Central Midfielder Attack ( From CM to AM )
  • Advanced Playmaker ( From CM to AM )
  • Mezzala ( From CM to AM )

Basically meaning I am forced to play positional if I want to use any of those roles. Which is wrong imo.

3 minutes ago, Bahoi said:

Basically meaning I am forced to play positional if I want to use any of those roles. Which is wrong imo.

What do you understand "positional" to mean? 

If you asked a CB to step out of defense and into the midfield in possession, and it didn't trigger any changes in movement from those around him, that wouldn't be right. 

Likewise if you asked a HB to drop in between two CBs and they didn't move out wider, that'd be strange too. 

and so on...

5 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

Like I said, the HB was always intended to drop deep, and did, but the CBs didn’t move wider; now they do. You could also always put a FB on defend and tell them to sit narrow, like an IFB, but the other CBs would not adjust their positions; now they do. 

Strange. I distinctly remember criticisms of the HB role in that it pushed the CBs too wide.

43 minutes ago, jlboybeamer said:

I believe the latest patch is a turning point for sports interactive and that is for the worse, I cannot remember when the last time that a winter update/patch lacked any match engine changes whatsoever. If this is the lack of care and effort that this company will be putting into the game moving  forward , its a slap to the face of a loyal and passionate fanbase. Very disappointed at the lack of improvements in the latest patch , I couldn't care less if they're excuse is that they're focusing on FM 25.  It  doesn't mean that they're all of a sudden allowed to be lazy just because FM 25 is upcoming. We paid the same money for FM 24 and as previous versions , why should we get less after release support this year compared to last year? Specially after all the promises made by Miles Jacobsen and his team in this year's edition , which to put it bluntly they've failed to fulfill for the most part. 

They already got away with not being bothered to release a hotfix for Spain/other countries having countless players with Ivan names etc in FM 23. Are they just now pushing how much they can get away with?

Will this mean that future winter updates in future Football Manager games be like this? Just a data update with a few minor gameplay improvements and no match engine changes? 

I'm afraid if Sports Interactive don't get enough negative feed back for this laziness of an update this will become the normal way for them. With the increased sales and multiple platforms it seems ironic that the development team have less resources to fix things. 

I'm sure they won't even bother reading this feedback and just see it as me hating on them. But this is a real concern from a life long fan of the game. 

They’ll only hype up Into infinity with the next release [FM25] too. With all the lies and frankly false marketing, particularly on the last two releases, it’s going to be a cringy watch. You would’ve thought with the apologies and statements they made things would’ve improved, yet they’ve somehow got worse. 

16 minutes ago, Bahoi said:

The three defender roles exist only to trigger positional changes, there is no other reason to use them. The others - as @whatsupdoc says - are just sensible adjustments by players to the movement of other players on their team. There’s plenty of things to gripe about in FM24 but positional play is not, IMO, one of them.

Am I missing something or is the data update not that upto date.  An example is Oliver Glasner at Crystal Palace and no Jim Ratcliffe at Man Utd.   These were over a month ago.

2 hours ago, Kloppy said:

After bug reporting, sending multiple game saves on numerous requests. This issue has not been fixed. 

The weaker players of my youth squad are not playing. Top players are playing 60 games a season between u18s and u21s while other gets maybe one sub appearance or none at all!!!

Dont ever ask me to log a bug report in the tracker for FM25 as I would not waste my time again.....

I know the issue behind it (player reputation and CA) and even said last year's edition was the perfect blend to help even more to fix.

Screenshot2024-03-03at18_42_19.png.3e60fef760b523bd65ca891bcf8b1894.png

End of season totals for some of the players......

Useless

I sent in a bug report in FM23 as Oldhams kits weren't working properly and they only fielded the home kit (I was planning on a long term save with them). They looked at it and told me to "wait until the next release as it's not a priority", this was in May btw. Don't expect small things to be fixed unless it's "a priority", this company don't care about customer satisfaction and won't fix bugs that are glaring mid-way through a cycle unless it's absolutely gamebreaking. 

18 minutes ago, timtim11 said:

Am I missing something or is the data update not that upto date.  An example is Oliver Glasner at Crystal Palace and no Jim Ratcliffe at Man Utd.   These were over a month ago.

Checked in my save, and Dave Brailsford is a director. Ratcliffe is a minority owner isn't he?