Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no :(  Genuinely gutted for Maguire.

Joke all you want, but the best international teams are built on defensive parnterships that have played a lot and know each other's games inside out.

Plus I was looking forward to the picture of Maguire holding the trophy so I could rub it in everyone's face.

BUT.  Where there's change, there's opportunity... as my old man always said.  Arise Ezri Konsa MBE.

Posted (edited)

So right, hang on.  We've lost (or think we've lost): Maddison, Quansah, Jones, Trafford, Maguire, Grealish

Have I missed anyone?  If not, we are still one player over... presumably Dunk or Branthwaite getting cut last.  Or we take both of them and ditch Toney.

Edited by Rob1981

3 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Delighted that it looks nailed on Wharton goes.

I think he maybe even should start alongside Rice. Inched above Mainoo in my pecking order

Wharton is an absolute diamond to be fair. Southgate making some actually pretty competent calls is quite scary.

Maguire dropped because of injury but Shaw somehow kept despite being nowhere fit.

Can't wait for England to rush him back and then him be crocked for the start of the league season.

People celebrating Maguire out as though we've got brilliant CB options. 

Be taking Grealish over Gordon as well, but Pep really has broken Grealish.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Is Anthony Gordon going over Grealish? :D

If you're going to go off form, then Gordon is head and shoulders above Grealish.

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Leaving Grealish out is insane.

Still capable of having a quality tourney despite his City struggles.

Rashford has over double the goal contributions of Grealish this season and he isn't even in the preliminary squad.

Kane, Watkins, and Toney all going is a bit surprising. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him stick Toney on in the 119th minute of a knockout game though to take a penalty.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Dunk over Branthwaite is a weird one.

It is. Can only assume it's primarily to have an experienced player in the training camp, because I think he's - what - third choice to partner Stones?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

So what centrebacks are we taking

If Branthwaite is definitely out?  Then Stones, Konsa, Guehi, Dunk and Gomez.  Assuming Gomez is being considered for cover at both CB and LB.

Then the other full backs: Shaw, Trippier, Walker, and TAA that could drop back to RB from midfield.

Edited by Rob1981

10 minutes ago, sc91 said:

If you're going to go off form, then Gordon is head and shoulders above Grealish.

But half the player. Grealish could have turned it on at the Euros.

10 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Rashford has over double the goal contributions of Grealish this season and he isn't even in the preliminary squad.

Grealish brings control in the final third against the top sides.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

But half the player. Grealish could have turned it on at the Euros.

Should have represented Ireland.....

Grumbles aside, I don't think Grealish has looked half the player he was this season, and I also don't think he's shown anything that'll change that. Perhaps getting dropped is a good kick up the arse for him.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Should have represented Ireland.....

Grumbles aside, I don't think Grealish has looked half the player he was this season, and I also don't think he's shown anything that'll change that. Perhaps getting dropped is a good kick up the arse for him.

He has yeah, but when he's at his best, he can make a difference VS the best sides in the world.

But Euro 2021 he was putting in world class performances and Southgate gave him scraps, so there we go.

Edited by Baptista_8

God, this is stressing me out.

3-4 years of being relentlessly positive even though nearly everybody else wanted Southgate sacked.

Now I'm worrying because we've lost our veteran CB to injury, and in midfield we have to chose between two schoolkids with only one cap each... and everyone else is buzzing :D

Just now, Rob1981 said:

3-4 years of being relentlessly positive even though nearly everybody else wanted Southgate sacked.

Now I'm worrying because we've lost our veteran CB to injury, and in midfield we have to chose between two schoolkids with only one cap each... and everyone else is buzzing :D

Oh... so nowwwww you want Southgate gone :D

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Just wait until we win without experience and I can spend all summer telling you I told you so :cool:

Posted (edited)

Our defence is even more of a mess without Maguire :D

Midfield and Forwards are incredible, but that defence is going to royally **** us

Edited by Bliss Seeker

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You're worried because we're going to win it without Maguire and Henderson, a feat you spent 3 years telling us was categorically impossible ;)

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Midfield and Forwards are incredible, but that defence is going to royally **** us

Don't worry - we've got Pickers in goal!

Oh. ****.

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Weekly reminder that Argentina won the World Cup with Otamendi and Romero at the back 

Very surprised at Grealish, thought he was v good the other night and he ball retention is a very useful asset to have in certain circumstances.

Hopefully it lights a fire under him next year though so all good with me.

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Weekly reminder that Argentina won the World Cup with Otamendi and Romero at the back 

If Vrsaljko-Lovren-Vida-Strinić defense made WC final, anything is possible. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Oh you'd all love that, wouldn't you? 

Drop Henderson, drop Phillips, drop Rashford, lose Maguire to injury... Then we win the trophy with some kids that were only born while Sven was in charge.

I don't think I could recover from that, probably have to leave the forums.

Sorry but all those CMs are at least an 8, your 2 x 10s + 1 x 7 maths just isn't going to work this summer 

14 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I don't know. I think Guehi & Stones is or can be, a better unit then Maguire & Stones. I think Guehi is class. He's comfortable on the left which compliments Stones. The thing Stone/Maguire have is they are experienced together whereas I'm fairly sure Guehi has never played with Stones. Feel like when Guehi has played it has been with Maguire or Dunk