Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

People blaming Mainoo for the goal want to have a look at what Foden and Walker were doing in the build up and that’s before we even talk about how bad Stones and Ramsdale were. 

A lot of Utd fans were happy for Mainoo for getting called up but knew it was too early for him. Another example of **** management from Southgate. Seen a rating this morning that blames Mainoo for Rice being awful :rolleyes:

Walker is just a more experienced version of AWB. Fast and good at 1v1 but crap at everything else. 

Edited by Gizzy

14 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

People blaming Marino for the goal want to have a look at what Foden and Walker were doing in the build up and that’s before we even talk about how bad Stones and Ramsdale were. 

A lot of Utd fans were happy for Marino for getting called up but knew it was too early for him. Another example of **** management from Southgate. Seen a rating this morning that blames Marino for Rice being awful :rolleyes:

Is this font that sh*tty or you keep writing MaRino? :D

10 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Is this font that sh*tty or you keep writing MaRino? :D

Ha. Stupid autocorrect. And stupid me for not noticing :D 

50 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

People blaming Mainoo for the goal want to have a look at what Foden and Walker were doing in the build up and that’s before we even talk about how bad Stones and Ramsdale were. 

A lot of Utd fans were happy for Mainoo for getting called up but knew it was too early for him. Another example of **** management from Southgate. Seen a rating this morning that blames Mainoo for Rice being awful :rolleyes:

Walker is just a more experienced version of AWB. Fast and good at 1v1 but crap at everything else. 

Ten Hag had a point about how the English love to build people up just to watch them fall. Mainoo is going to be the scapegoat if things go wrong.

1 hour ago, Heartwork said:

Ten Hag had a point about how the English love to build people up just to watch them fall. Mainoo is going to be the scapegoat if things go wrong.

14 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

There's a glaring lack of international goals in this side (Kane aside) you know. In the preliminary squad Maguire was our third top international scorer with 7 (Saka second with 11).

I know you can't judge those with a handful of caps like Palmer but still, compared to the likes of France who have Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappe all with 40 plus.

Could this be a problem if Kane doesn't perform? Rashford has 17 btw.

This is the reason i made the argument for Rashford initially, though fully agree his club form wouldnt merit it, and also what goes against Grealish, we need goals from the left hand side. 

first time in 6 years we’ve not won in 3 games at Wembley btw.

Guess who hasn’t started in any of those 3 games? Saka is our most important player after Kane imo.

4 hours ago, Bootador said:

Do shirt numbers mean anything? Maybe?

Foden with 11 feels weird. I feel like nobody wants 11 for us. Can't really remember it 'belonging' to someone. It's always that number that gets handed out last after all the good ones gone

5 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Foden with 11 feels weird. I feel like nobody wants 11 for us. Can't really remember it 'belonging' to someone. It's always that number that gets handed out last after all the good ones gone

Should've been 8 Bellingham, 10 Foden and 11 TAA.

Something we don't know is the impact of players being dropped on the morale of those that are left. If one or more of them made a Gazza-esqe scene then that can be quite unsettling, especially for what is a young squad.

3 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Foden needs benching until he actually does anything of note

When he’s not being played balls into him like here, there’s not much he can do. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SteveUK said:

Disgusting. Just a bloody friendly they’ve used as a training exercise and they are sharpening knives already. :( 

If one of the reasons for friendlies wasn’t income for the FA they’d be better off playing friendlies behind closed doors. 

Foden had two or three attempts to play a through ball for Gordon to be in one v one with the keeper and he got the pass slightly wrong each time. Possibly just a bit of rustiness after not playing for a while.

You'd hope that's the kind of thing the coaching staff go through with the players when they analyse the game back. Rice into Foden was on all game and it was never played, similarly when wide into in tight spaces. That kind of thing just comes natural when you've played together so hopefully builds as the tournament goes on 

23 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

When he’s not being played balls into him like here, there’s not much he can do. 

If he doesn't work in the England system, he shouldn't be starting in it.

I think the overarching narrative is player x didn't well because of player y from another club.

Who's fault is it that everyone seems to lack cohesion with each other?

3 hours ago, SteveUK said:

This 'phenomenon' of using black players in negative headlines gets noticed quite a bit in my lads WhatsApp group. 

I don't like to think it's a conscious decision, but it happens a lot more often than people think. 

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

If he doesn't work in the England system, he shouldn't be starting in it.

England don't really have a system. It's just a very safe, slow build up and that's about it. 

38 minutes ago, arenaross said:

England don't really have a system. It's just a very safe, slow build up and that's about it. 

Yeah I should have put system in inverted commas.

Was bored today, so I made 26-man squad that missed a call-up due to numerous reasons.

GK: Sam Johnstone, Nick Pope, James Trafford
DF: Reece James, Harry Maguire, Fikayo Tomori, Ben Chilwell, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Ben White, Eric Dier, Jarrad Branthwaite, Tyrick Mitchell
MF: Kalvin Phillips, Rico Lewis, James Ward-Prowse, Curtis Jones, Sean Longstaff, James Maddison, Mason Mount
FW: Jack Grealish, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Noni Madueke, Dominic Solanke, Callum Wilson

How does this compare to the actual squad Gareth did bring? Reckon on their days, this squad might beat them.

4 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

4 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

You'd hope that's the kind of thing the coaching staff go through with the players when they analyse the game back. Rice into Foden was on all game and it was never played, similarly when wide into in tight spaces. That kind of thing just comes natural when you've played together so hopefully builds as the tournament goes on 

I don't think you can coach it though, not at 25 years of age. It's the sort of thing you coach as a kid. 

It was discussed at the World Cup because it was also obvious at the World Cup, but Rice just isn't that good of a passer to play the role he does for England. 

Unfortunately he's the best England have for that position, but you lose some of what makes him effective. Arteta figured it out pretty quickly that Rice isn't a 6, but he has the luxury of just buying players to fill it, Southgate doesn't 

3 hours ago, adhikapp said:

Was bored today, so I made 26-man squad that missed a call-up due to numerous reasons.

DF: Reece James, Harry Maguire, Fikayo Tomori, Ben Chilwell, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Ben White, Eric Dier, Jarrad Branthwaite, Tyrick Mitchell
MF: Kalvin Phillips, Rico Lewis, James Ward-Prowse, Curtis Jones, Sean Longstaff, James Maddison, Mason Mount
FW: Jack Grealish, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Noni Madueke, Dominic Solanke, Callum Wilson

How does this compare to the actual squad Gareth did bring? Reckon on their days, this squad might beat them.

It could do well with a good coach.

15 hours ago, Vynal Seven said:

You think Trent’s strengths are defensive awareness and positional sense?

I can get on board with Trent starting at RB but it certainly wouldn’t be for those reasons. :D 

No, but when he is required to be a defender and isn't carrying our attacking play, he's reasonable at those. His big weakness has been 1v1's, for a full back he's been really bad at that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

I don't think you can coach it though, not at 25 years of age. It's the sort of thing you coach as a kid. 

It was discussed at the World Cup because it was also obvious at the World Cup, but Rice just isn't that good of a passer to play the role he does for England. 

Unfortunately he's the best England have for that position, but you lose some of what makes him effective. Arteta figured it out pretty quickly that Rice isn't a 6, but he has the luxury of just buying players to fill it, Southgate doesn't 

Banging Wharton drum intensifies 

(random vid, but attaching as you legitimately may not have seen much of him)

Edited by Bootador

Joe Cole was the first to spring to mind if I try to think of a player associated with it so going back a few years and even then not sure how often he actually wore it.

Cole is a better shout.

I think he wore 11 at both WC2006 and WC2010.  Albeit in that latter tournament we mostly left him on the bench and played James Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips :rolleyes:

On 08/06/2024 at 17:26, adhikapp said:

Looks weak in a number of areas, But if there is a B Team comp it would hold up well

I remember Mcmanaman being 11 when he played, and Anderton, but yea, don't really associate it with being a proper England shirt number. 

If only Giggs chose England eh? ;)

edit: A full list of England 11's from transfermrkt.com:

James Maddison (22/23), Jack Grealish (22/23), Bukayo Saka (22/23), Mason Mount (22/23), Marcus Rashford (20/21 - 22/23), Jadon Sancho (20/21), Emile Smith Rowe (20/21), Bukayo Saka (20/21), Phil Foden (20/21), Mason Mount (20/21), Marcus Rashford (18/19), Jadon Sancho (18/19), Mason Mount (18/19), Callum Hudson-Odoi (18/19), Dele Alli (18/19), Raheem Sterling (18/19), Jamie Vardy (17/18), Marcus Rashford (16/17), Jesse Lingard (16/17), Adam Lallana (16/17), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (16/17), Jamie Vardy (15/16), Andros Townsend (14/15), Fabian Delph (14/15), Adam Lallana (14/15), Raheem Sterling (14/15), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (14/15), Danny Welbeck (12/13 - 13/14), James Milner (12/13), Rickie Lambert (12/13), Tom Cleverley (12/13), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (12/13), James Milner (10/11), Adam Johnson (10/11), Ashley Young (10/11 - 12/13), Stewart Downing (10/11), Michael Carrick (08/09), Theo Walcott (08/09), Steven Gerrard (08/09), Gareth Barry (08/09), Shaun Wright-Phillips (08/09), Jermain Defoe (08/09), Joe Cole (07/08 - 09/10), Wayne Rooney (07/08), Aaron Lennon (07/08), Scott Parker (07/08), Stewart Downing (07/08), Joe Cole (04/05 - 05/06), Shaun Wright-Phillips (04/05), Jermain Defoe (04/05), Wayne Bridge (04/05), Frank Lampard (03/04 - 04/05), Nicky Butt (02/03 - 03/04), James Beattie (02/03), Kieron Dyer (02/03), Wayne Bridge (02/03), Emile Heskey (01/02 - 02/03), Nick Barmby (00/01), Jamie Redknapp (99/00), Robbie Fowler (98/99), Paul Scholes (98/99), Steve McManaman (96/97 - 00/01), Paul Scholes (96/97), Rob Lee (96/97), Andy Hinchcliffe (96/97), David Batty (96/97), Darren Anderton (95/96), Paul Ince (92/93), Lee Sharpe (92/93), David Batty (92/93), Andy Sinton (91/92), Chris Waddle (90/91), Chris Waddle (88/89), John Barnes (86/87 - 90/91), Chris Waddle (84/85 - 86/87), John Barnes (84/85), Alan Devonshire (82/83), Tony Morley (82/83), Paul Mariner (81/82 - 82/83), Tony Woodcock (79/80), Gordon Hill (76/77), Martin Peters (69/70), Martin Peters (67/68), John Connelly (65/66), Sir Bobby Charlton (60/61 - 61/62), Sir Tom Finney (57/58), Sir Tom Finney (53/54), Jimmy Mullen (53/54), Jimmy Mullen (50/51)

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Rashford had it a bit I guess. He was quite 11'y and would have probably locked that down if he could keep place in squad. 

Some proper wrong players have had it. Michael Carrick, Paul Ince  Scott Parker. Urgh. Assume Wayne Bridge had it when we thought he could be the answer to our left wing problem

On 09/06/2024 at 14:41, matt_e said:

Joe Cole was the first to spring to mind if I try to think of a player associated with it so going back a few years and even then not sure how often he actually wore it.

I'm showing my age here - but Chris Waddle was number 11.

Almost every one of them looks so uncomfortable :D Trent exudes confidence like an ASOS model :D any significant reason for the attire? Doesn't seem to be a pattern or anything, seems weird :lol: The whole thing looks like it could be AI generated.

Ramsdale also has the beige on his top half but the black on his bottom :mad:

Edited by JD nawrat

17 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Can't believe Henderson doesn't even make your 26-man "not going" squad :D

I couldn't even get Colwill or Loftus-Cheek in, let alone squeezing in Henderson :D