Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke Shaw back in regular training. Apparently we have also drafted in Tom Heaton. He has gone as a fourth goalkeeper for some of the training drills and stuff, even though he isn’t actually named in the squad.

Fans of England could you be so kind and post up some video's (youtube) that include great commentary from over the years as I'm making something and wish to use the audio.

Already have a couple, Beckham v Greece, Platt v Belgium, Hurst's 3rd, Heskey/Englands 5th v Germany but any others would be great and doesn't have to be goals just moments we all remember.

Tried to get the audio from Brian Moore/ITV for Gazza's goal against Scotland but it wouldn't convert for reasons I don't know.

Posted (edited)

The most recognisable commentary from the Gascoigne Euro 96 goal… “Oh brilliant, oh yes!” was Motson not Brian Moore. Although I’m struggling to find a decent clip that doesn’t have music pumping underneath it.

Edited by Rob1981

Here some more vintage Motson from WC2002, back when he was obsessed with breakfasts all through the tournament.

“Hold the cups and glasses back home… you can smash them now, Beckham has scored for England!” :D 

here’s Brian Moore bringing you the Michael Owen goal in 1998, this is definitely the original ITV commentary from the live broadcast. I had it taped onto a VHS for about 20 years until the tape finally wore out :D 

20 hours ago, VP. said:

Fans of England could you be so kind and post up some video's (youtube) that include great commentary from over the years as I'm making something and wish to use the audio.

Already have a couple, Beckham v Greece, Platt v Belgium, Hurst's 3rd, Heskey/Englands 5th v Germany but any others would be great and doesn't have to be goals just moments we all remember.

Tried to get the audio from Brian Moore/ITV for Gazza's goal against Scotland but it wouldn't convert for reasons I don't know.

some iconic moments from international tournaments (not all good for us, not sure if that was a pre-requisite)

edited to add Gordon Banks save from Pele in the 1970 world cup

Shearer vs Holland to make it 3-0 in EUro 96 (clip is highlights of whole game, this goal is around 2:25 mark "Shearer ... and it's 3-0!  this is a fantastic England performance now!"

Gazza's tears Italia 90 (best commentary around the 30 second mark)

Maradona second goal, Barry Davies iconic commentary "You have to say that's magnificent"

Edited by martinji

Right I've made an England themed mix, its a little rushed as only thought of doing it a couple of evenings ago and have no time after tonight :D

Its not actually too bad and has all the old favourite songs as well as some added commentary clips, is just under an hour long and should certainly get you in the mood for the up coming tournament at least.

Tracklist

01 - MOTD Theme

02 - National Anthem (from England v Germany Euro 96)

03 - Atomic Kitten - Southgate You're The One

04 - The Farm - Altogether Now (football mix)

05 - Commentary (matter of time before England score)

06 - London Philharmonic Orchestra - Land Of Hope And Glory

07 - Rider ft Terry Venables - England Crazy

08 - Commentary - Platt v Belgium 1990

09 - Luciano Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

10 - Commentary - Gazza Crying 1990

11 - Fat Les - Jerusalem

12 - Five - Keep On Moving (world cup 2002 mix)

13 - Commentary - Owen goal v Argentina

14 - Mr Smash & Friends - We're Coming Over

15 - Ant & Dec - We're On The Ball

16 - Commentary - Heskey v Germany 5-1

17 - England Supporters Band - The Great Escape

18 - 4-4-2 - Come On England

19 - World Cup Squad 1970 - Back Home

20 - Commentary - Beckham penalty v Argentina

21 - Fat Les - Vindaloo

22 - Commentary - They Think It's All Over

23 - DJ Otzi - Hey baby (unofficial world cup mix)

24 - Dario G - Carnival De Paris

25 - New Order - World In Motion

26 - Baddiel & Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

27 - Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

28 - Commentary - England Lift The World Cup

DOWNLOAD LINK

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Yeah the defensive issues are making me pretty pessimistic for this tournament.

Good job we’ve got those experienced CDMs to sit in front of the back four. Imagine if we were still auditioning people to play there and had no idea who was best.

I'm at that stage where I'm looking through Serbia's squad and convincing myself they are a bunch of world class world beaters and we'll be lucky to grab a point

The vibes just don't feel right this year. Fans, pundits, manager. Nothing feels alligned and together.

23 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Good job we’ve got those experienced CDMs to sit in front of the back four. Imagine if we were still auditioning people to play there and had no idea who was best.

IMG_3626.jpeg

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

I'm at that stage where I'm looking through Serbia's squad and convincing myself they are a bunch of world class world beaters and we'll be lucky to grab a point

The vibes just don't feel right this year. Fans, pundits, manager. Nothing feels alligned and together.

I've been feeling way more confident in the run up than I ever have before, really thinking this is our year - but our defence is now looking pretty worrying. Good thing with the stupid format is that we can struggle our way through the group and players will have returned/played themselves into form for the knockouts.

You've done your playlist now @VP. but I can't believe I forgot this Jonathan Pearce commentary from 1997:

The era when away games used to be auctioned off individually by the host country and could end up on different channels.  Channel 5 splashed the cash to get this qualifier in Poland not long after they had launched... Pearce gets a sniff of a TV gig when I think he was mainly only doing radio at the time.  Goes at it like a man possessed. 

Worth listening to it all, especially his "READY! STEADY! TEDDY!" on the second goal.

But the bit when England get the penalty on around 2:00 is also the stuff of legend.

20 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You've done your playlist now @VP. but I can't believe I forgot this Jonathan Pearce commentary from 1997:

The era when away games used to be auctioned off individually by the host country and could end up on different channels.  Channel 5 splashed the cash to get this qualifier in Poland not long after they had launched... Pearce gets a sniff of a TV gig when I think he was mainly only doing radio at the time.  Goes at it like a man possessed. 

Worth listening to it all, especially his "READY! STEADY! TEDDY!" on the second goal.

But the bit when England get the penalty on around 2:00 is also the stuff of legend.

Nice one, I can still edit it in, probably over the start to Carnival De Paris as that's from the 98 WC which the match was a qualifier for. Would use Shearer's goal as do like the commentary for that which I remember well now I've seen it again.

Would like a couple of newer ones with the current players but I guess as (in my opinion) the quality of commentators has dropped so much nothing springs to mind.

Guy Mowbray with the England-Germany highlights here:

But in general, you're right.  Commentators these days are not fit to lace the boots of their predecessors.

STONES IS BACK ON THE TRAINING PITCH \o/

Forget the election thread, need a swingometer in here for the confidence levels / nerves / chances of England imploding with a load of unfamiliar players

I just remember Thuram looking at Rooney like "WTF is this!?", rather than Stevie G's throwing that away. 

Good news about Stones being back in training.  Hope his tummy is ok and he doesn't do a Lineker. 

32 minutes ago, arenaross said:

20 years, bloody hell. 

I think that game is a bit of sliding doors moment. We win that and I think things go a bit different. It would have been a big and much needed scalpe that could have changed the momentum and direction of the side. And Rooney not getting injured too

Just remember being slumped on the floor for about an hour after that game with only one shoe on :D

It was not long after I'd moved to London and I was in my first flat with one of my mates.  We said we would watch it at home... then when were still 1-0 up on 90 minutes we were like: "Let's go and hit the pub on the corner to celebrate!"  And I got halfway through putting my shoes on and France equalised :thdn:

I fully expect to drop points to Serbia, based on nothing other than a terrible memory, I feel like we often open tournaments poorly and even though Serbia's recent results have been poor apart from the win against Sweden, I like to think we'll start with a trademark whimper.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

I feel like we often open tournaments poorly

tbf to Southgate, he has a 100% win record in his three tournament openers

But before that we were mostly a shambles.

1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 all either draws or defeats... only won 2/14 against Tunisia (1998) and Paraguay (2006)

More often than not the slow starts cost us a spot as group winners... then put us on a path to meet one of the decent teams early on and get knocked out

Edited by Rob1981

That Tunisia one was a bit flattering in the end from (vague) memory too? I think I was at a BBQ to watch it with a group of mates and we were all expecting a procession and it ended up being a nail-biter.

Tunisia 1998 was a fairly routine win in the heat of Marseille

But you are probably thinking about Tunisia 2018 when we won 2-1, but we only got the winner right at the death

Tunisia 1998 was on a Monday afternoon... 1:30 kickoff... I remember organising a petition at school to get people out of lessons :D

Then I had to go to the special room to borrow one of those big TVs on wheels.

Good times.

13 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

But you are probably thinking about Tunisia 2018 when we won 2-1, but we only got the winner right at the death

I distinctly remember jumping out my seat and yelling "Take that you dirty *somethings*!" when the late winner went in - I think the general feeling of having found a way to overcome a side who set out to constantly niggle and foul their way through the match helped massively with the team spirit that built though the tournament.

37 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You're right. Time blurs past so fast now that I can't even register a 20 year gap between games :D

4 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

That's what all European stadiums to the east of Germany, Austria or Italy should look like.

55 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Tunisia 1998 was on a Monday afternoon... 1:30 kickoff... I remember organising a petition at school to get people out of lessons :D

Then I had to go to the special room to borrow one of those big TVs on wheels.

Good times.

My last A-level exam finished at about half time, so I recall watching it in the school gym with others who had been in there too.  My head was kettled.

We had our leavers prom on the night we played Colombia, we watched that crowded around a small TV in a back room of the hotel the party was at. It's the only thing I remember about the night.

2 hours ago, arenaross said:

20 years, bloody hell. 

When you look back with hindsight, Stevie G has been a self destructive twit for club and country hasn’t he

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Just remember being slumped on the floor for about an hour after that game with only one shoe on :D

It was not long after I'd moved to London and I was in my first flat with one of my mates.  We said we would watch it at home... then when were still 1-0 up on 90 minutes we were like: "Let's go and hit the pub on the corner to celebrate!"  And I got halfway through putting my shoes on and France equalised :thdn:

We were in a bar in Lisbon about a mile from the stadium, it was the only game we couldn’t get tickets for. We got absolutely hammered verbally and physically by the French and Portuguese afterwards. Bloody Beckham :(

21 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

When you look back with hindsight, Stevie G has been a self destructive twit for club and country hasn’t he

He loved knocking us out of tournaments with back passes

When did we draw with Russia opening game? 2016? That annoyed me a lot at the time as I thought we played pretty well in that game. Like not amazing but for an opening game it was a solid performance. We controlled game, created the better chances but then grabbed a deserved relatively late when Dier scored a freekick and even then we were ok in seeing the game out until last minute when one switch off left a giant Russian unmarked for looping slow mo header. 

And then we never looked good at all for rest of that tournament. Was like that goal shattered any confidence 

Edited by skybluedave