Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Administrators
1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Can't believe Saka at lwb and people are up for it. What a crazy world. 

Worked out great for me on FM tbh :D But by that point I had Ethan Nwaneri desperate to play more games :D 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

I quite like that. Very  brave of him though if so

Brave by making two changes that are forced (If Trips isn't 100%), then altering the tactics completely so Foden/Bellingham/Saka are still in same XI for 5th game running, despite it not working once yet.

3 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Brave by making two changes that are forced (If Trips isn't 100%), then altering the tactics completely so Foden/Bellingham/Saka are still in same XI for 5th game running, despite it not working once yet.

If Maguire was healthy, he could've gone with Pep's 3-2-5, Stones and Rice at DMs. :D

Like you've took one LB that's not fit, refusing to play Gomez at LB when he's surely been called up as back up LB, and now will change the tactics which sees Saka move from a position of influence and strength, to LWB :D Feels a man scrambling around rather than being brave.

Being brave for me is accepting that what's happening first 4 game isn't working. Stick with 4-3-3 and change the personnel within that, with someone natural on LW, deciding between Foden/Saka for RW and actually playing TAA at RB.

5 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Trippier has been doing the normal training with everyone else I think.

But ITV think we are changing it up completely:

Mainoo in the middle as the sixpence.

Surely that's 4 at the back with Saka at left back, TAA back in midfield and Foden/Belli/Mainoo behind Kane? 

I wouldn't surprised if he does does 3 at the back as it's his older trusted formation.

But if he did I'd really like to see Eze be given a chance on the left (at the expense of Saka). For cameos so far I've been most impressed by Eze, Toney and Palmer.

It's a shame Palmer (and shoehorned 10s) have even less chances to play in a 3-5-whatever though.

The only real solution here is for Shaw to be fit enough to start which will solve an awful lot of problems. Until then it seems we're stuck in this balance of starting the best players on the pitch who might do something individually vs fitting players to a style/formation.

England manager Gareth Southgate said "if I can't enjoy this moment then it's a waste of time" after his side reached the Euro 2024 semi-finals by beating Switzerland 5-3 on penalties.

The Three Lions' moment of jubilation was made even sweeter for Southgate as he celebrated with supporters following the recent "difficult personal" criticism he has faced in Germany.

"Every now and then surely there has to be some enjoyment in this job," said the England manager. "I love the players and sharing that moment with them.

"I can't deny that when it's [the criticism] as personal as it has been in the last few weeks on a human level, that's quite difficult."

I said in the other thread, but we should knight him regardless of what happens

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

I said in the other thread, but we should knight him regardless of what happens

Dawn right we should. He's the greatest leader we've produced since Churchill.

• Administrators
Just now, Astafjevs said:

Wait you're actually serious about the knighthood thing? I thought it was a banter post but it doesn't sound like it now.

I'd be amazed if he isn't awarded it in the New Years Honours List.

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Wait you're actually serious about the knighthood thing? I thought it was a banter post but it doesn't sound like it now.

It is a joke post but also yes he should be :D

1 hour ago, adhikapp said:

Shaw has to start at LB next match. Give Gordon some minutes. Hell, give Wharton a cap too at the end of the game for Rice.

I don't see Southgate making many changes. If something works (in his eyes anyway) he’ll stick with it rather than risk making changes that disrupt a winning formula.  Not sure what his plan was for taking Gordon as he doesn’t seem to trust him.

Will be interesting to see what he does with centre half as Guehi’s had a solid tournament but Konsa did really well last night. 

We’ll be the same team as started last game IMO, to match up with Dutch.

Dutch would be better to start Frimpomg over Dumfries, but they’ll go same again. 

First real team we’ll face this Euros that will actually have some individual star quality in final third, with passers around them so will be interesting.

32 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I don't see Southgate making many changes. If something works (in his eyes anyway) he’ll stick with it rather than risk making changes that disrupt a winning formula.  Not sure what his plan was for taking Gordon as he doesn’t seem to trust him.

Gordon is just 3rd choice. Eze ahead of him and don’t think nothing will change Gareth view on that, despite another poor cameo.

1 hour ago, Bigwig said:

Will be interesting to see what he does with centre half as Guehi’s had a solid tournament but Konsa did really well last night. 

Is one win in five in 90 mins a winning formula? :D

45 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Gordon is just 3rd choice. Eze ahead of him and don’t think nothing will change Gareth view on that, despite another poor cameo.

I didn't think Eze was that bad.

35 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Is one win in five in 90 mins a winning formula? :D

Personally I don’t think so, but I’m sure Southgate would point to being in the semi finals so whatever he’s doing must be right. 

2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

I didn't think Eze was that bad.

I thought he was decent. Brilliant on the ball, but lacking a bit of defensive nous for the wing back responsibilities...Which is absolutely as expected. Doubt Gordon would have dealt much better. 

10 minutes ago, Divinity said:

EVen Graham Taylor would have gotten to the semis with these draws.

Haha, what? :D  That's the Graham Taylor that missed a World Cup because we couldn't beat Norway, right?

At a time when Norway hadn't been to a World Cup for over half a century.

12 minutes ago, Divinity said:

EVen Graham Taylor would have gotten to the semis with these draws.

Euro 92 we drew 0-0 to Denmark and a mediocre France and lost to Sweden

World Cup 94 qualification as well as the other failings we conceded a goal to San Marino...

4 minutes ago, Divinity said:

Lads you just lost at home to Iceland with this squad. Weird how your memories work.

There's no easy games at this level only applies to the Southgate era yet doesn't apply to any previous England managers iirc. 

19 hours ago, arenaross said:

There's no easy games at this level only applies to the Southgate era yet doesn't apply to any previous England managers iirc. 

People have been saying this for years :D

That's why it's been a cliche for as long as any of us can remember.

22 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Euro 92 we drew 0-0 to Denmark and a mediocre France and lost to Sweden

World Cup 94 qualification as well as the other failings we conceded a goal to San Marino...

Sweden had a really good side in 1992. France were on a par with us at the time and Denmark won the competition

Taylor wasn't great but wasn't awful 

On 07/07/2024 at 07:17, arenaross said:

Taking shithousery to an entirely new level. 

It's unsustainable. Southgate has been a very lucky manager. But we still have a chance of winning it unbelievably  

The problem with asking him to stay up the pitch is that he's not a great target person, that's not his strength. The amount of times he just ducks out of the way rather than contest a header is so frustrating. I'd happily see Toney or Watkins start in his place, it would fix so many issues in that final third, but he is England's captain and therefore no chance of him being dropped. 

Those days of the train line at set pieces in 2018 seem like a distant memory now, remember how dangerous he was back then? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

Why is our striker doing this :D 

He's been criticised a lot for not doing it :D

(He isn't a particularly effective presser tbf, he's not nearly quick and agile enough to catch people out especially when he's the only one doing it)

Think the main thing is Bellingham and Foden and Saka aren't really doing it enough, and some of that is tactical

16 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Those days of the train line at set pieces in 2018 seem like a distant memory now, remember how dangerous he was back then? 

Don't know why we're not trying it tbh. We've lost a little aerial threat in Slabhead being out of action, but we're not a short team, and need to make set pieces work better 

Edited by enigmatic