Games 31 and 32: Denmark vs Serbia live from the Fußball Arena München ITV4 8pm AND England vs Slovenia live from the Cologne Stadium ITV1 8pm

Coulthard's Jaw

What will be the result  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

2. 2. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/06/24 at 18:59

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

Think Mainoo starts for sure next game

Walker has to start if its the Dutch.. would probably keep Trippier at LB then for defensive solidarity and the odd good ball

Palmer was good but as above Saka must start, he doesn't play left so you kick out Bellingham which I don't think is happening, and besides if you are changing the centre I'd rather Foden moves there and someone went left instead.

think I'm on board with this. Gordon for Foden is what I want to see. 

I don't ****ing know anymore. I don't think Bellingham at 10 works. I don't think Bellingham rotating with Foden (as in swapping positions) works.

We've not tried playing him deeper, so we won't. And we won't drop him.

So we just hope I guess.

Edited by Bootador

@ajw10 is 100% right on this - balance.

I'd much prefer us to line up with something like Rice alongside Wharton / Mainoo, and then Saka right, Bellingham or Foden central, and Gordon or Eze on the left. Stretch the pitch horizontally; make vertical runs.

With that setup you can handle Kane dropping deep because we'd have runners beyond. Saka is our only consistent threat to break the lines at the moment and we have to have at least one more or we're totally pointless and toothless.

I don't see us dropping Kane for Watkins, but if we do, we can then consider only one out of Saka / Gordon / Eze wide, but I don't see why we'd do that. We're ****ing anaemic and I hate it.

Just now, Pukey said:

Ok I like stats and have defended xG so many times, but what in the hell is "real time power"?

****ing hell, I would just like to reiterate my post from about 2 minutes ago on the subject of football stats. "Expected power" ffs.

814+3a3bCSL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

Gordon for Foden is what I want to see.

I like this. I'd honestly have Foden / Jude swapping out for each other rather than having them both on the pitch at the same time... really should be nothing wrong about benching one of them and bringing them on as fresh legs in second half. 

2 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Don't remember 12 shots :D

Screenshot_20240625_221808_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.60ce84de2412baaa7333bd2f5d7c2ca0.jpg

73% possession too, just no answer to the low block. 

The system doesn't work, we need more than 1 change Gareth. 

Sigh. 

Looks like Spains stats against Italy except they scored :cool:

(ignore the quality gap pls)

Just now, Bootador said:

I don't ****ing know anymore. I don't think Bellingham at 10 works. I don't think Bellingham rotating with Foden works.

So we just hope I guess.

This was the match to try that and he didn't. I'm annoyed, as Foden in the middle with Bellingham behind looks like it should work so well. No idea how so many people see that but he doesn't. Also restricting width so much. 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I don't ****ing know anymore. I don't think Bellingham at 10 works. I don't think Bellingham rotating with Foden (as in swapping positions) works.

So we just hope I guess.

No one seems to want to acknowledge it, but Bellingham and Kane are the problem, both ****ing dire yet again 

Saka can't be dropped because of his domestic season + how good he's been for England.

Bellingham can't be dropped because of his domestic season.

Foden can't be dropped because of his domestic season.

Kane can't be dropped because of his domestic season + how good he's been for England + he's one of the best strikers around.

The reality is you either keep things as they are, or you have to start ignoring past performances for England, or performances for club, and drop someone for the form player.

I don't know many teams that go on and win tournaments chasing the best XI in the middle of the event. Southgate probably knows this too. If anything it's a sign that you either lack quality (see Italy) or have no set plan or clue as to your best team. Or something else....

I think you're right on Saka tbh. I really like Palmer, but you're spot on he's another ball player and it's probably too much.

But... he progressed the ball so much better than anyone else in that short period, it just helped the play. He's put pressure on Saka at least for mid game (who am I kidding) subs.

15 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

creativity doesn't matter if there's no runners. A balance is needed. If Palmer starts then at least one of Saka/Watkins/Gordon must start

I don't necessarily disagree but he will always find players in dangerous positions, even if they're not running in behind the back line. Making 'killer runs' has never been Ollie's game either but he's got better at it.

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

No one seems to want to acknowledge it, but Bellingham and Kane are the problem, both ****ing dire yet again 

Yes. Worst 2 players in the team, and I include Gallagher in that. 

They're just passangers. Don't care what they've done this season, Jude in particular doesn't look bothered and Kane's a huge undroppable captain problem. 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I know we need another two-day inquest about England... but what happened to Serbia ffs?

One shot on target all night, even though they were the only team that knew they wouldn't qualify with a draw going into the games.

they lost to England, they must be really awful

I think someone else mentioned it

Palmer came on against a tired, booked LB who were more than happy to sit deep and play for the draw.

Fresh legs in this situation is always going to look better than who they’ve replaced when the team have been dire overall.

But there are far worse performers over the last three games than Saka and benching him would be a disaster of a decision.

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Kane is baffling. Surely you either accept that he's going to decide to play as a 10 so you need someone else up top, or you tell him to stay up himself and actually get the midfield to do the job he's trying to drop back to do? He put in a couple of good crosses tonight but he should be on the end of them, not providing them.

And you also need to tell him to try running occasionally. Even a jog would be a good start. He MUST be injured, otherwise his lethargy is just inexcusable.

1 minute ago, eenie said:

Kane is baffling. Surely you either accept that he's going to decide to play as a 10 so you need someone else up top, or you tell him to stay up himself and actually get the midfield to do the job he's trying to drop back to do? He put in a couple of good crosses tonight but he should be on the end of them, not providing them.

And you also need to tell him to try running occasionally. Even a jog would be a good start. He MUST be injured, otherwise his lethargy is just inexcusable.

This all sounds like sensible coaching decisions, to be made by the coach. If only we had a competent coach to make such decisions 

4 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I think you're right on Saka tbh. I really like Palmer, but you're spot on he's another ball player and it's probably too much.

But... he progressed the ball so much better than anyone else in that short period, it just helped the play. He's put pressure on Saka at least for mid game (who am I kidding) subs.

yeah I don't think Palmer was bad or anything, it was just a bad sub.

Now, if Southgate subbed Palmer and Gordon on for Saka and Foden that would be much better.

Just no respect from Southgate for how a team works and should be set up. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

You're right.

I think Kane is an immovable object, but our real conundrum isn't who plays alongside Rice, but who out of Bellingham and Foden starts at 10. Neither of them works on the left, even with this silly dance of switching them between 10 and 11. Saka and Gordon / Eze have to be the wide options, especially in terms of Gordon / Eze on the left - we've been totally impotent on that flank.

Kane played a really great ball in the second half to Bellingham. Foden wasn't attacking that left hand side though because that's not his natural game.

Kane won't look great because of how the team is set up.

What was his best tournament, 2018? Alli and Sterling, both runners playing as close to him as possible.

Look at the start of the last World Cup. Kane, Bellingham and Saka played close together. Two runners to play off of Kane. Rashford came in wide left to really stretch the play.

Today we had Bellingham playing LWB. Saka playing RW and Kane playing CDM.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why exactly can't Bellingham play next to Rice, since that's the position he's kind of been playing his entire career up until this season?

Because apparently it limits Bellingham so we must sacrifice Foden who actually wants to play and stay in that position 

10 minutes ago, eenie said:

****ing hell, I would just like to reiterate my post from about 2 minutes ago on the subject of football stats. "Expected power" ffs.

814+3a3bCSL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Don't know if it's self-awareness in that an excitable but rubbish local radio commentator having an autobiography is in itself an example of the title.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Because apparently it limits Bellingham so we must sacrifice Foden who actually wants to play and stay in that position 

To me it looks like England as a team would be better with Bellingham with lower scoring threat because he plays deeper than with any of these other Rice partner options.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why exactly can't Bellingham play next to Rice, since that's the position he's kind of been playing his entire career up until this season?

Well I think Rice beside Bellingham with Foden at #10. Saka right and Gordon left is the dream™. But Southgate's solution was Connor Gallagher alongside Rice, so......

2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Why’s there this narrative on ITV that Palmer came on and played like prime Robben or something? :D 

We were **** the whole game ffs 

One of his highlights they are bigging up of him...the best moment of it is Gordon's pass :D

11 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I think the trouble with Saka is that he's a bit predictable in what he's going to do.  He always seems to cut inside and I think against a team that sits back and defends it's not always the best option.  

Personally i'd like to see Gordon start as you know he's going to run past players and create space for the likes of Foden.  Palmer definitely should be in contention for a starting place too.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Why’s there this narrative on ITV that Palmer came on and played like prime Robben or something? :D 

We were **** the whole game ffs 

I just refuse to watch ITV if Pougatch is on. Not surprised it's a load of waffle. I love Ange and Wrighty though. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Cos ITV are total numptys

Your previous remark was better tbh :D 

The frustration is this tournament is wide open, as every ‘big’ team is a bit underwhelming, so if Southgate could get a tune out of this very very talented squad it’s as easy a big trophy win as you’ll ever get at this level and it looks like he’s totally fumbling it.

Just now, mrw072 said:

I think the trouble with Saka is that he's a bit predictable in what he's going to do.  He always seems to cut inside and I think against a team that sits back and defends it's not always the best option.  

Personally i'd like to see Gordon start as you know he's going to run past players and create space for the likes of Foden.  Palmer definitely should be in contention for a starting place too.

think this is lazy. Saka created Bellingham's goal by going on the outside. Saka is well known for being able to go on the outside too.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but there's no one attacking the spaces to create space for a Saka (or Foden)

If one or two players struggle, it's probably on them. If basically everyone looks lost then it's on the coaching staff