FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

1 hour ago, XV20 said:

you sound pretttttttty confident saying the game isn't ready..

I mean, assuming the release is there or thereabouts end of November, the game, in whatever state it is, it is 'ready' by now.  What can be argued is what 'ready' means in the context of a game in which features were removed because they either did nothing inside the game, or they never worked as they should.

These days games are released in what can be best described as 'varying versions of ready'. There's too much money involved in it, too much involved in studios getting x releases per time period, shareholders estimations of revenue, etc to doodle-daddle until a game is truly 'ready'.

Edited by jmlima

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XV20 said:

you sound pretttttttty confident saying the game isn't ready..

I’d say with 100% confidence that the game isn’t ready. If it was ready it would be released now, do you think SI are just sitting there with a fully finished product and their feet up?

32 minutes ago, jmlima said:

I mean, assuming the release is there or thereabouts end of November, the game, in whatever state it is, it is 'ready' by now.  What can be argued is what 'ready' means in the context of a game in which features were removed because they either did nothing inside the game, or they never worked as they should.

These days games are released in what can be best described as 'varying versions of ready'. There's too much money involved in it, too much involved in studio's getting x releases per time period, shareholders estimations of revenue, etc to doodle-daddle until a game is truly 'ready'.

Technically no software is ever 'ready'. You see this in other areas as well, but in the gaming world especially. There are a couple of titles I got which were technically "early access", but felt like a very smooth experience which only gathered more features as the development went on. With FM, it is a different story. I do wonder what a poster meant earlier that FM 25 is coming out as an MVP. What can be even considered an MVP with it?

I mean I like FM24 in many aspects and play with it keenly but there remain soooo many jarring aspects or things that I absolutely hate about it. I would claim the scales are still firmly on the positive side. However, it takes almost without exception the last patch of the game in March to have an experience which is most rounded / playable / least jarring. With FM24 many things actually got worse with the last patch (I am looking at you, scouting focuses), which I very much assume has to do with effort being put into 25.

Now the main question is, will 25 come out in a state where positives > negatives? Hard to say, but prior experience makes me rather cautious about this. Is there a good outlook that it will get to a polished state? Judging by 24, kinda. Hovewer, there were soo many features that devolved in recent FM history (just look at the stadiums or regen faces) that it makes me more sceptical that it will turn out that way.

The two standout features that truly improved imho are the match engine (even if it only caters to the meta, there were metas previously so in this sense it has not gotten worse.) So much nicer to look at, feels much less gamey and more like the real-life stuff. And I also have to say that squad-building has indeed become much more competent by the AI. (This can be very clearly seen if you introduce big perturbances in the gameworld and introduce huge swings in CA/rep/financies of clubs, how they deal with it). Yet I am slightly discharmed as I have an inkling what has been changed for this to work, and once you understand the underlying computer logic, it fails to appear as 'realistic'.

In a way, quite a lot of complaints here come down to people who are power users, who would like to see the experience the get over 200+ hours refined, whereas if you consider how much other entertainment options cost in comparison (say, a cinema ticket, other computer games), where you do not go and complain that hard about it. It is the disconnect between time and money that is the crux here. People feel entitled to have all their issues sorted because of their time commitment, but SI don't (and frankly shouldn't, even if it annoys me to no end as well) care because a filthy casual will pay just as much and will not be here making their heads ache. They can probably also swoop more of them with certain "features" even if they are superfluous.

What seems to be missing despite all of this is a crystal clear focus by SI on core of the game? - And what is that? The matchday. Every interaction one makes in other bits of the game are for the matchday. Scouting to have the best chance to score more goals than your opponent. Squad management to have the best chance to score more goals than your opponent. The much-reviled player interactions also (in a more indirect way) impact the best chance to score more goals than your opponent, so thumbs up for them as well. But they absolutely need more nuance and context (quiiiite difficult to achieve)

Press conferences do what exactly to have the best chance to score more goals than your opponent?

The 2000th press item in your inbox saying your fringe player who is the best player of his nation needs to be dropped from his national squad does what exactly to have the best chance to score more goals than your opponent?

Player transfer and contract negotiations to strecth your budget the furthest to have the best chance to score more goals than your opponent - in theory. But making them an absolute pita to interact with and being forced into interacting with this terrible bit of UI with the lowball offers (they serve no other purpose) creates so much negative emotions that it demands a completely rework. Same issue with loan offers in and out. Also, you do not "negotiate" with a computer. It has its value limits, why have to press a button 10 times to find out what these are? (Game economies are by their nature always going to be broken, can't really balance this by giving an AI numerical bonuses, it just makes the vain effort for this "balancing" to be even more transparent and feel unnatural, the exact opposite of the original intent.)

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wonder if they've just copied F1 manager with the look of the game?

F1 manager

f1-manager-2022-review-pc-a-good-base-for-the-future_9.jpg.f549666bda4d17a5ef42c523af27d0cf.jpg

af70043585b8c9360ba7aecb3d1d3941a934a7fc.thumb.webp.07e2957cc4a57d7a59d3764f1fb06238.webp

FM25

ss_0856fe1815e71ed0daea79cca7aa1f92b7b6b627.600x338.jpg.2acb377043dbc8dcdea0bf57664d1909.jpg

the "grid" layout with a top line that skips through tabs.

Be interested to know if anyone's played that and how smooth it is to use all the different tabs?

F1 manager looks so much better visually though. Far more appealing and really importantly IMO for a UI much clearer what each tab has in it at a glance.

The UI for FM has been getting progressively worse probably for the last decade or so.

The new "tab UI" looks very much like the FM24 UI, cluttered and difficult to make out what's what at a glance, whilst wasting so much real estate in terms of space.

4 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

F1 manager looks so much better visually though. Far more appealing and really importantly IMO for a UI much clearer what each tab has in it at a glance.

The UI for FM has been getting progressively worse probably for the last decade or so.

The new "tab UI" looks very much like the FM24 UI, cluttered and difficult to make out what's what at a glance, whilst wasting so much real estate in terms of space.

it should be very modable though right?

35 minutes ago, scythian12 said:

What seems to be missing despite all of this is a crystal clear focus by SI on core of the game? - And what is that? The matchday. ...

All idle speculation but, think it's reasonably safe to say that the focus of the resources for these past couple of years had been on developing the new generation game. Which sort of explains why these past few titles have largely been underwhelming in what respects the game core, as you correctly say, the matchday. I never could quite get over the fact that after going at this since 1992, we still have a game in which managing in the depths of the English lower leagues, is very similar to managing at the top of Serie A. Even the universe interactions around you are similar. The matchday is largely a non-event, again similar irrespective of where or who you are in the game. The risk is that, with so much effort going into translating the game, the new game will largely be a translation of what we have with very few of added value (in what concerns the matchday experience).

At this stage, I'm in the same boat as many people on these forums. Now, one thing I haven't seen mentioned, is the fact that it says on the roadmap it's the 'Week of', meaning that we might not even get news about women's football on the 7th, but it could be the 11th of October (latest). 

That means that 6-7 weeks before game release we would be getting the first feature news, which for me sounds completely crazy. Considering also, that women's football is first (which I don't mind, I'll definitely try it out with the new exposure on women's football thanks to EAFC, Sky Sports etc), surely means that that's the biggest feature release of this year? Meaning they must have low to no confidence in their match engine, as if I developed something groundbreaking and new, I'd be super excited to show it off as the first thing if I could.

5 minutes ago, renato. said:

To be honest, women's football is a feature since they announced it years ago. We can't take it as something "new" for FM25.

The same idea works for for International Management in FM26. They will brag about it as it was a new thing like they did with the squad planner (just an adaptation of what was already in the game).

That's how bad they are playing with us with this roadmap and lack of features.

I agree 100% they will for FM26. I'm personally pissed they removed international management, I loved build a nation type of games, and honestly was shocked to see the percentage of people playing international management was so low. But I wonder if they took the stats purely based on only managing an international team and not club and country.

I've always pre-ordered every iteration of the game, and I have played since 01/02 - and its the first one where I haven't pre-ordered the game as soon as they open up the pre-orders.

Edited by Micks112

19 minutes ago, Micks112 said:

I agree 100% they will for FM26. I'm personally pissed they removed international management, I loved build a nation type of games, and honestly was shocked to see the percentage of people playing international management was so low. But I wonder if they took the stats purely based on only managing an international team and not club and country.

I've always pre-ordered every iteration of the game, and I have played since 01/02 - and its the first one where I haven't pre-ordered the game as soon as they open up the pre-orders.

Yeah same. Not pre-ordered yet, although I probably will eventually.

The issue is that I don't think it is right to ask for pre-order without any gameplay footage being available yet.

3 hours ago, Druid DR said:

Lets hope SI now have actual game artists back making the graphics these days, instead of programmers without artisitc flair who thought bland stadiums with sun brollies, picnic tables. and blocky buildings were a 'good thing'.

I do worry that's where they get directed to go, though.

Miles Jacobsons apparent delight with the sprite version of him having glasses and rings, and how things are being added, makes me worry he thinks "character" is being added by putting in wee quirky bits like picnic tables and burger vans so they'll want to continue that.

Just some thoughts re. the "screenshots" released by SI thus far.

I'm not referring to those from a certain fan forum, I'm meaning the screenshots of player profiles e.g. Kirby, Ferguson. I put screenshots in quotes as some suggestions they're not final versions.

A lot of comments are raising concerns about the quality of these, suggesting that the game is in trouble.

I have a simpler explanation.

It was communicated by SI some time ago they were inviting a number of FM players to their studios in London, to try the game, specifically the new interface as obviously this is going to be a huge change for us all.

Could the reason for the lack of images thus far be as simple as that they've done that process, and are hence responding to feedback by making adjustments?

Hence, details of women's football first (likely which leagues and some other details I would suspect), with UI at date tba i.e. when they've made their adjustments based on feedback.

I really think it could be that simple.

41 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Just some thoughts re. the "screenshots" released by SI thus far.

I'm not referring to those from a certain fan forum, I'm meaning the screenshots of player profiles e.g. Kirby, Ferguson. I put screenshots in quotes as some suggestions they're not final versions.

A lot of comments are raising concerns about the quality of these, suggesting that the game is in trouble.

I have a simpler explanation.

It was communicated by SI some time ago they were inviting a number of FM players to their studios in London, to try the game, specifically the new interface as obviously this is going to be a huge change for us all.

Could the reason for the lack of images thus far be as simple as that they've done that process, and are hence responding to feedback by making adjustments?

Hence, details of women's football first (likely which leagues and some other details I would suspect), with UI at date tba i.e. when they've made their adjustments based on feedback.

I really think it could be that simple.

As far as I am aware, those that are invited, or due to be invite, have not been down to play yet. In the announcement on 4th September it said:

Firstly, we've had to shift the official announcement of FM25 to the end of September. The gameplay focus period will follow soon thereafter.

The playtesting will still be going ahead but as a result of the above milestones moving, the start date is shifting slightly. FMFC members who have applied will be contacted shortly with further date options as we begin to finalise the process.

So, I don't think that the playtesting had started before the latest update was made. I could be reading it wrong though.

48 minutes ago, fmdirektor said:

What do you think about volumetric player animations?

I mean at this point its only words. No one will know until we see any actual footage of how its been implemented in game. If it looks good then its a thumbs up I suppose, looks bad then its a thumbs down. 

5 minutes ago, Micho21 said:

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I won't pre-order the game until I know it there is a Beta/Early Access/whatever you decided to call it. It may sound weird, but the Beta and the period immediately before and after is when I enjoy the game the most. Losing the chance to play two weeks early, the uncertainty of not knowing what day it will be released... it may sound naive, but it is a special moment in the year and I await it with more  interest than the 90% of the festivities.

To lose the beta is to lose part of the charm. I will certainly buy it and enjoy it, but I am not in a hurry. If the game is released on 26 November and the pre-order means nothing, I will be happy to wait.

The beta gives avid and loyal players the chance to help SI out and report bugs as early as possible, with the hope of getting them resolved as soon as possible.

FM25 is going to have its fair share of bugs like all previous editions, but with the move to a new engine, I'd think I beta window is more important than ever.

I won't be pre-ordering without a beta. The game could be virtually unplayable for months and we won't know until we get hands-on with the game.

4 minutes ago, McClane29 said:

The beta gives avid and loyal players the chance to help SI out and report bugs as early as possible, with the hope of getting them resolved as soon as possible.

FM25 is going to have its fair share of bugs like all previous editions, but with the move to a new engine, I'd think I beta window is more important than ever.

I won't be pre-ordering without a beta. The game could be virtually unplayable for months and we won't know until we get hands-on with the game.

In the past they've offered a closed beta well before that point where the vast majority of reports will come in.  I don't expect things will be much different this time around. The "beta" that they offer as an incentive is more like an early access, as I'd imagine a pretty small percentage of people who get it will actually give detailed bug reports.  

20 minutes ago, Micho21 said:

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I won't pre-order the game until I know it there is a Beta/Early Access/whatever you decided to call it. It may sound weird, but the Beta and the period immediately before and after is when I enjoy the game the most. Losing the chance to play two weeks early, the uncertainty of not knowing what day it will be released... it may sound naive, but it is a special moment in the year and I await it with more  interest than the 90% of the festivities.

To lose the beta is to lose part of the charm. I will certainly buy it and enjoy it, but I am not in a hurry. If the game is released on 26 November and the pre-order means nothing, I will be happy to wait.

You aren't alone, usually I'd have pre-ordered already but this year I'm going to hang fire see whether the feature reveals wow me.

The discount and beta combo was worth stumping cash up front for.

A 10% discount and no beta and the game coming in late November I can wait for a sale.

2 hours ago, Micks112 said:

... and honestly was shocked to see the percentage of people playing international management was so low. But I wonder if they took the stats purely based on only managing an international team and not club and country...

As I have said before, this data is from people who leave the phone home switch on, I always turn off permission in preferences but play International management, how may more do this?

13 hours ago, alian62 said:

I am suprised that the football roadmap does not start with the matchday experience ? The shift to unity tells me this is the most importnant step in FMhistory yet it is down the list on the roadmap ? Why would you not lead with this as your show piece !! Im doubting very much if this game is actually ready at all and after years of pre-ordering the Beta version i will deinetly be sitting back to see the feedback on here and definetly on You-Tube

Why? You've clearly never heard of the term "leave the best till last".

Its a very common marketing trope and it is not "down the list" in marketing terms, this because in any staged campaign the money shot is always left to last (Film trailers particularly come to mind here).

Edited by dunk105

55 minutes ago, Micho21 said:

100% with you. Plus without the early access, there is zero incentive to pre order anyway. 

1 hour ago, starbugg said:

As I have said before, this data is from people who leave the phone home switch on, I always turn off permission in preferences but play International management, how may more do this?

I would wager that less than 1% turn off the data gathering stuff. I never have and didn't know that option exists.

1 hour ago, jcafcwbb said:

I do wonder if the new engine move is because the changes we all want was not possible with the current engine. Not  a games programmer so only speculating.

What tends to limits changes, as wanted by players, is that their economical benefit (ie, increased sales) is disproportionate to their cost (ie, programmer / artist hours). Engines are very rarely the limitation as can be seen from the fact that 2d CM evolved into 2d FM which evolved into 3d FM. What engines limit you is in the platforms you can easily target.

12 hours ago, SPE3D said:

Will we finally see a difference in the match engine between a 20 dribbler and a 10?

Or just a 6'6" player not skating like Bambi while a 5'2" player runs like an arachnid on acid. It's the same animation for every player size it seems and doesn't scale for the model, or maybe it's an engine limitation that will soon be lifted.

Edited by CoffeeKittyGrey

12 minutes ago, Polando said:

photos with newgen faces in FM25 give hope compared to last year's series, but these two shots still show that the current graphics are weaker than those from FM 2010, which is puzzling

the-problems-with-fm-graphics-v0-o7xlma89wtl91.jpg

As I said, it's not puzzling, as the older ones were essentially 2D sprites, while the new ones are fully 3d rendered. Now, they look worse, no doubt, but the reason was so the faces are replicated in the matches, as if the did that with the old ones they would look like this, I assume:

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 - GoldenEye X - N64 Video Game

Of course, if the change was worth it, is another question. But the reason is far from puzzling.

No offence, there are newcomers in this forum and they can't possibily know what has been said across the years and what not.

Periodically and sistematically since basically from 5 to 10 years one jumps here and shows how better FM17 looked like compared to now and how facegens were better in FM08 than what they are now. Pasting - anedoctically - the same old pictures of stadiums/faces compared to what we have now.

Just to make it clear: alright guys, the past was sweeter, the fields were greener, the light was brighter, with friends surrounded, the water flowing, the endless river, forever and ever (music contest here) and so on. We got it.

Edited by Federico

22 minutes ago, XaW said:

As I said, it's not puzzling, as the older ones were essentially 2D sprites, while the new ones are fully 3d rendered. Now, they look worse, no doubt, but the reason was so the faces are replicated in the matches, as if the did that with the old ones they would look like this, I assume:

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 - GoldenEye X - N64 Video Game

Of course, if the change was worth it, is another question. But the reason is far from puzzling.

But isn't the fact this is essentially impossible to notice in the ME evidence enough it was a bad decision?

7 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

But isn't the fact this is essentially impossible to notice in the ME evidence enough it was a bad decision?

Could be, but perhaps the plan was to implement some more, closer to players, scenes like the trophy ones if the actual 3d faces had looked better? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

46 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

I think can tell the difference between different players these days just by looking.

Their hair is different, some have beards etc. they are taller or shorter etc

Back in the day you definitely couldn't do that.

5 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I think can tell the difference between different players these days just by looking.

Their hair is different, some have beards etc. they are taller or shorter etc

Back in the day you definitely couldn't do that.

That only works with newgens through, right? SI don't have rights to the likenesses of real players so they gave them all the same generic appearance. This is probably also the reason why they blocked the ability to modify the game files to unlock zoomed-in camera modes.

47 minutes ago, endtime said:

That only works with newgens through, right? SI don't have rights to the likenesses of real players so they gave them all the same generic appearance. This is probably also the reason why they blocked the ability to modify the game files to unlock zoomed-in camera modes.

I can tell the difference between my real-life players also on the ME? The settings are only hair colour, skin tone, and hair style and then height AFAIK which is the same for newgens. I don't think you're going to get anywhere close to any likenesses disputes from that.

The lack of any evidence of the match engine is weird. It should be the big selling point and is largely the reason for all this development work in the first place.

The roadmap is weird too. The 'tactics' features are being showcased before the 'match experience' section. How can that be? Surely the best way to showcase the changes to tactics, new positions and roles etc and their impact in the game is to show it happening in the match engine? But that reveal is before the match experience one? How?

The debate about player faces above is also really relevant. There is no excuse for regens to not have realistic faces in 2024. The modders can do it, so why can't FM? They could just let them do it in the game if they can't do it themselves. Weirdly it seems to be something EA are struggling with as well as the majority of regen players in the new EA FC game appear to be predominently female featured, but with a man's haircut and they stop developing at 16 and remain like that even at 37, which is odd. It can't be that hard to do.

Stadiums are also a big thing for me. No bigger immersion killer than playing at a world class stadium and you've got brick walls and wheely bins and gaps in the stands. I take it the stadiums licences are a problem the developers haven't even started to get their heads around, but just release a stadium editor and let the mod community do the work.

Not sure if this has been asked.

It was stated in Football Manager 25 Launching From November 26 news that we can carry on from our FM24 saved game.

Screenshot_20241004_214320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df2dc8e0f39c0035448ab78a53dcadab.jpg

In my FM24 saved game, I am managing both club and nation.

If i carry on the FM24 saved game in FM25, what will happen to my nation team management..? Will it be automatically become invalid or I can't use this saved game..?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, ak71 said:

Not sure if this has been asked.

It was stated in Football Manager 25 Launching From November 26 news that we can carry on from our FM24 saved game.

In my FM24 saved game, I am managing both club and nation.

If i carry on the FM24 saved game in FM25, what will happen to my nation team management..? Will it be automatically become invalid or I can't use this saved game..?

Thanks.

It's a really good question, and sadly one that I don't think anyone here will be able to definitively answer.

Hopefully a blog post or deep dive from Miles will answer it. But as far as I know no information has been given on the above scenario.

The pessimist in me would say the game might crash or become quite bugged  :lol: I'd imagine it would need some oddly specific work and resource to ensure human controlled managers retire from international upon loading the FM25 save so you can continue as just a club manager.

Edited by Domoboy23