FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the delay, although it feels a bit misleading to show a roadmap and to even push for pre-orders when they already knew the game was never going to be finished in time for the 26 November release date, but I'm also a bit confused by the time between FM25 and FM26.

There are almost certainly licensing/legal issues in play here, but if there aren't I think releasing a data update for FM24 would be a better thing to do at this point so they can move all their assets to FM26.
Because I don't think new players would be interested into buying a yearly sports game when the season is already almost over by the time of release and the next game is only eight months away.

Got to love the fact that almost every single comment on Twitter is the same. 'Skip FM25, Release data update, etc'.

If this was a normal cycle like the last 10 or so years, at what point would they have started on FM26?

You'd think this would make the FM26 development cycle tough, because they're going to have to allocate a huge amount of resources to FM25 for at least a couple of months after its release. Focussing on FM26 in May or more likely June is going to make it tough to achieve a Nov '26 release.

They must have considered writing off FM25.

Even though the last 5 years have seriously dented my brand loyalty to SI, I still wish them the best, but I'm writing off FM25, unless they manage to pull off a really well-built game in March. Which is possible. They've just given themselves another 5 months, and I'm sure they realise that delaying the game is a lot less damaging than releasing a bad game. But if they release a bad game in March, well, that will be a challenge to recover from both reputation-wise, and being able to release FM26 in time.

Zealand said something about SI putting jobs avaliable aiming people to work on Unity years ago, like 3 or 4 years.

So FM25 is being worked on since then and after all this show (I wanted to put another word before "show"), they delay the game because it's not ready.

Congratulations, I feel like an idiot for liking this game so much. If you were clear from the start at least...

I don't mind the delay, I would like, maybe controversialy, that they release new game every 2 years, to have something to show, some meaningful changes (unlike FM24), and in the meantime make first year update free, then 2nd year charge for DLC updates (hard to pull off without removing the editor).

However, I hope SI release update for FM24 now, with latest and shiniest db.

1 minute ago, renato. said:

Zealand said something about SI putting jobs avaliable aiming people to work on Unity years ago, like 3 or 4 years.

So FM25 is being worked on since then and after all this show (I wanted to put another word before "show"), they delay the game because it's not ready.

Congratulations, I feel like an idiot for liking this game so much. If you were clear from the start at least...

So how long exactly does it take to move a creaking in-house engine over to Unity then since you seem to have an idea of what's acceptable?

im a bit sad , i wanted to play FM25 so bad , but looks like its not even close to finish , i remember Grand turismo was like 3 years delay but then the product was at high standards, i think this is the start of FM 25 no (2025) so i think the will release FM 25 mid next year and a year or more FM 26(maybe not real 2026) so we just add number to FM 25 , 26 , 27 but that i dont think will mean the years anymore

I'd rather play a late game that's good than a bad game, so the decision to delay is the correct one, but the journey here has been thoroughly disappointing and below the very high standards we usually get from SI.

The studio and publishers have made a series of bad judgements about the timeline, and the communication throughout this release has been awful.

I'm sure the game will be great when it releases, and I think the anger from those who haven't paid anything should be a bit more reasonable, but I think many of the questions being asked and concerns being raised are legitimate.

5 minutes ago, diLLa88 said:

I dont see how they can keep the same release schedule for 26 and onwards tbh. There is no way to justify asking €50 for a game that is only relevant for like 6 months (not even counting that there is no guarantee that FM25 will even be in a good state by March).

Offering a 50% discount for FM26 to anyone who's got FM25 in library seems reasonable.
A lot of people will surely skip FM25 and wait for FM26, but loyal customers should be thanked for putting up with the delays and still buying the game that will be active for only 6 months or so.

Is anyone who criticized those who pointed out the release date was 'From' going apologise either? 

Anyway. To be fair to SI this clearly isn't a decision that they have taken lightly and I am sure they realise it won't be popular with players. But, I would much rather them delay to March and get a proper working game than release another CM4 now. Loads of other companies would have released now and then just patched the game as best they could. 

If it releases eary-ish March then there is still 6 months playtime before (hopefully) FM26 comes out. 

There won't be an update for FM24 as they stop working on the game totally in March every year to focus on the next edition. Now we get the game in March, so what does that mean for the future? Cos if they are expecting people to pay full price at the end of the football season, to then try and release another edition in November, they are crazy.

5 часов назад, -Jef- сказал:

Honestly, I think we are way past the "seeming real ignorant" regarding most of the discussion here. Cannot believe we've had 2-3 pages of "SI will not release game on 26th, they are covering for themselves".

When I read your letter this morning, I thought it might be ironic. But I didn't think it would be so quick.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Offering a 50% discount for FM26 to anyone who's got FM25 in library seems reasonable.
A lot of people will surely skip FM25 and wait for FM26, but loyal customers should be thanked for putting up with the delays and still buying the game that will be active for only 6 months or so.

It's probably the least they can do really. Even if FM25 by some miracle turns out to be good, I'll probably still wait for FM26.

2 minutes ago, albertocerdeira.4 said:

If there is a little bit of respect of SI for the people that has been playing the series for so long, they wouldn’t release FM25 and they give us a squad update. 

I happily would pay something for an squad update

There’s all sorts of reasons why a database update might not be be possible for FM24 - licensing, resources to do it given that they’re working on FM25, there might be changes in the database structure with whatever new features are being added to FM25 so they then would need to translate that data back to the previous version which is even more work. 

Wow! What a hot mess SI have made with FM25. On one hand, it's certainly the best decision to postpone the game, but how long have SI been working on this release? This is now the second time the release date has been pushed back; what makes us think another 5 months of development will be enough to sort this out?

As others have already said, putting up pre-orders and publishing a cryptic roadmap is just in bad taste from SI. They know this is a loyal fanbase and the majority of the core fans will be purchasing blind. 

FM25 is now pretty much pointless assuming the release for FM26 will be following the usual November release schedule (a later release into the season would be ridiculous).

Just cancel FM25 altogether and provide owners of FM24 with a squad update database as a goodwill gesture.

On scrapping FM25: I wonder how the Premier League would react given the new much-heralded licencing deal? I would imagine SI / FM Franchise are contracted on the releases that they make. I suspect that alone would make scrapping FM25 problematic.

1 minute ago, metal_guitarist said:

There’s all sorts of reasons why a database update might not be be possible for FM24 - licensing, resources to do it given that they’re working on FM25, there might be changes in the database structure with whatever new features are being added to FM25 so they then would need to translate that data back to the previous version which is even more work. 

Tbh, there are plenty of third party updates out there, a few surely good enough to be the official update.
The only legal issue would be moving the calendar, idk if it's possible, but I don't think resources and manpower would be an issue, especially since saves and databases are compatible between releases and we can carry saves over to FM25.

8 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

They've just given themselves another 5 months, and I'm sure they realise that delaying the game is a lot less damaging than releasing a bad game. But if they release a bad game in March, well, that will be a challenge to recover from both reputation-wise, and being able to release FM26 in time.

Agree with this point. I think the gripe the community have is that the PR teams were plugging, heavily, pre-orders for a game those in dev knew full well, was nowhere near ready for the original release date, which was later than normal anyway. 

Honesty and integrity goes a long way for loyal fans and it feels like we're being lied to constantly at the minute.

1 minute ago, KeegBCFC said:

6 months of play time and then being expected to pay the full price again would be disgraceful, but not surprising from SI.

Why would it be disgraceful? 

Most 'playtimes' on games now if you complete one are somewhere from 10-30 hours. Why is 6 months disgraceful? 

The whole issue is not delaying the game, this is a correct decision after all, since it is clear the game is not going to be polished until november. What makes people sad is how unclear and the lack of transparency by SI. There were many red flags showing the game is far from finished, but SI kept pushing the roadmap thing as if things were going on as expected. Saying in this week we will get real news about women's football, it's been 3 days and they've show nothing, and now THIS!

To me it shows some sort of lack of real management inside the company, as FM25 has been on its production for years. We've been fed promises for 2 years almost and all we have is a bunch of TBAs and statements proving how right people are for being skeptical about this game. 

Not a threat or something, but I hope they deliver a great game in March because I feel a lot of people are getting fed up with so many unfulfilled promises.

1 minute ago, davehanson said:

Why would it be disgraceful? 

Most 'playtimes' on games now if you complete one are somewhere from 10-30 hours. Why is 6 months disgraceful? 

If you are happy buying a data update for full price 6 months after buying the game then that is fine

hace 2 minutos, metal_guitarist dijo:

Whatever work needs to be done is better than release a football game in MARCH. 

Ok, FM, that is the franchise that made me happier than anybody else, has failed with FM25. Fine, but at least, skip this year and gave the people only a database update, even for twenty pounds.

But releasing a football game in March is lilke open a ski station on June or to schedule a beach trip on January

1 minute ago, jimbo22 said:

Nots sure its good to talk about people losing jobs but there will be a lot of issues in house over this, its probably losing the company millions of pounds. Someone will be getting their arse felt over this. 

Considering the amount of licensing going on I'm sure this will be a feast for lawyers as well.