Quarter Final 3: England vs Switzerland live from the Düsseldorf Arena. Saturday BBC1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/07/24 at 15:59

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Icondacarver said:

Southgate sold his 1st born kid to the devil. Only explanation for all this :lol:

Sacrificed the soul of Jordan Henderson and the career of Kalvin Phillips which is why he bemoans not having them here. Guilty conscience.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Missing that first pen is such a killer. Just eases a little bit of pressure from the others on the opposition 

Would've been better off if he brought on Kobel instead of one taker.

Sommer just can't deal with penalties at his size.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Would've been better off if he brought on Kobel instead of one taker.

Sommer just can't deal with penalties at his size.

Tbf he was the pen hero back in Euro 2021

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

Why on earth are we giving Gareth Southgate credit for the penalties ffs 

In fairness, he did do a lot of work on the players before 2018 to change the mindset and did a lot of research into penalties. He does genuinely deserve some credit for that. He's helped change the mindset on penalties, and it does make a difference.

Ok, Southgate is an absolute genius.

I submit to his greatness.

Will never doubt him again. 

He's a multiversal rock star. He knows everything, we know nothing.

He's 5 steps ahead of all of us. It's his world, we're just his gimps.

• Administrators

Gary Neville just moaning on ITV that we are through. What? :D 

Just now, Pukey said:

In fairness, he did do a lot of work on the players before 2018 to change the mindset and did a lot of research into penalties. He does genuinely deserve some credit for that. He's helped change the mindset on penalties, and it does make a difference.

But all of our penalty takers were at school in 2018 ;)

1 minute ago, dudester said:

I hate these pundit panels you would think we won the game 4-0 with a tactical masterclass in the changes we made for the game. 

It's funny, I think some of the criticism was incredibly overboard after Denmark, but now they've gone the other way. First half I think was fine to decent, but second half and extra time were really poor. Fortunate to get through.

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Does Pickford ever save pens? Wish Emi Martinez was English :( 

16 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Don't think Pickford or Sommer are that good at pens tbh

I don't know for Everton, but Pickford's been great on them for England. His save against Jorginho should be one of the great iconic moments of English football as the save against all odds that won us the Euros - no his fault our takers missed.

Most joy I got from that game was Saka not missing his pen. And I'm not an Arsenal fan.

So hard to get behind this version of England but we genuinely could bore our way to the title here.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, martynlcfc said:

Most joy I got from that game was Saka not missing his pen. And I'm not an Arsenal fan.

So hard to get behind this version of England but we genuinely could bore our way to the title here.

We almost did with the World Cup in 2018 tbf :D  Nothing changes that much with us under Southgate. 

Well that worked out in the end. If we could start the next game with the XI we ended with, and the mentality we had at 0-1 I'll be fine with it. That was also the first penalty shoout-out *ever* where I felt reasonably comfortable beforehand.

11 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Credit where it's due, England slotted all 5 pens. That has to be a record for them surely? They always at least miss one in the first 5 iirc

We scored all 6 in Nations League 3rd place playoff against... Switzerland. Spooky

Switzerland probably had the better opportunities to score, even if outright chances were probably similar between both teams.

I think it's another game where England have been fortunate that the draw has become easy for them. A good team with a bit of quality and they're out if they play like this again 

Hopefully Shaw can get more minutes in SF because if we get to final, we need him.

Trippier got roasted a few times, and Yamal/Dembele will only do that more and with better quality afterwards. 

Need to start making changes earlier. Got lucky twice now, feels you can’t keep getting away with it.

Good penalties from the England lads, all 5 were well taken.

Got to love Rio Ferdinand, possibly the dumbest pundit this side of Paul Merson. Yesterday claimed that penalties were a lottery (even that is just wrong) and that all the practice you can do doesn't mean much. Yet tonight saying he had no doubt because the players have practiced.