The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

1 hour ago, aldojags said:

@JD78 Farkas - ooft!!

I know. Spoiler before the next update but he hasn't kicked on and exploded yet although I think he will. Already capped by Hungary at 16. He wouldn't sign his initial youth contract without a £3.1m release clause. Going to try and renegotiate that before anyone is sniffing around him but I'm not hugely confident! 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm doing the YAC-save in Scotland. Now beginning season 3. Promoted to the cinch league one in the first season by winning the play-offs. Became 9th in our first season in the new league. We won the play-offs again and stayed in the league.

The question that rises is: Will my U18 unter a competitive league? They have not played a competitive league game in the first 2 seasons and we weren't invited this season. Will I eventually after upping the reputation/facilites? 

Hope all goes well with you.

Ooof @Neo_Geo, rough! I know the feel though, as I'm struggling a bit too in the new season.

SzZGtp0.png

My goalkeeper got poached during the summer, and my 2nd choice is rather bad, but then he got injure for 3 months, so now I'm using a 2 silver star goalkeeper...

o5jgep2.png

So yeah, fun times! Just trying to deal with it as best as possible until my 1 gold star goalkeeper comes back...

Good luck in Iceland, btw!

Going to take a short break from FM I think. When we thought the game was coming next month I was playing a lot to try and finish before FM25 and as a result I feel a bit burnt out with FM now.  Now I've got till March there's no rush. I'll still be about in here every few days or so but any questions or completions just tag me and I'll see it. 

11 hours ago, NielsPanis said:

Hi all,

I'm doing the YAC-save in Scotland. Now beginning season 3. Promoted to the cinch league one in the first season by winning the play-offs. Became 9th in our first season in the new league. We won the play-offs again and stayed in the league.

The question that rises is: Will my U18 unter a competitive league? They have not played a competitive league game in the first 2 seasons and we weren't invited this season. Will I eventually after upping the reputation/facilites? 

Hope all goes well with you.

Hi, I was kicking around the Championship, L1 and L2 in my last save. The youth team never got into a league, they just had the cup so I arranged friendlies for them. However, after 1 season in L1 the board created a reserve team and they do play in a competitive league so I played my youth players in that team. I presume there will be a youth team league when you hit the Premier League.

6 hours ago, XaW said:

Ooof @Neo_Geo, rough! I know the feel though, as I'm struggling a bit too in the new season.

SzZGtp0.png

My goalkeeper got poached during the summer, and my 2nd choice is rather bad, but then he got injure for 3 months, so now I'm using a 2 silver star goalkeeper...

o5jgep2.png

So yeah, fun times! Just trying to deal with it as best as possible until my 1 gold star goalkeeper comes back...

Good luck in Iceland, btw!

Not ideal for your keeper but he will get into the gold star current ability by season end so at least that's a slight positive.

Feels like an age since I last had save where I had quality players come through and get bought.....guess it's an indicator of how often I keep abandoning saves!

20 hours ago, XaW said:

The true Welsh football experience... run as slowly as possible and miss the goal.

t0OUoyp.gif

Technically he did hit the back of the net……just the wrong side of it

Also @XaW I take it you never saw Vaclav Cerny missing a very similar chance for Rangers against Malmo? Not just Welsh football that lacks quality :lol:

Edited by Neo_Geo

Dulwich Hamlet F.C. - Wikipedia

Dulwich Hamlet FC

Season 1

2024-25

VNS

League Table

VanaramaNationalLeagueSouth_Stages.thumb.png.0561c81c0fe66ad89aad8d2ee9be5997.png

Youth Intake Preview & Intake

YIPreview1.thumb.png.5c33e783aa00368a3e9a3281517c3501.png

YIPreview2.thumb.png.529d406a477ce3082ba8244478876034.png

DulwichHamletUnder18s_Overview.thumb.png.5a1ea4c211b518f75937f011a7e565c7.png

EvertonPerezYP1a_Profile.thumb.png.97d2c7b993b437af6e9e9fee52a2f957.png

SaniMusaYP1b_Profile.thumb.png.07ee1cc185b80205f89fe3cc61884660.png

VaughanSampayoYP1c_Profile.thumb.png.a134ea01350cc8dd3384feab6f1c6b16.png

Other Bits

We have already had a couple of small improvements to the junior coaching and youth recruitment. We've got about £300k in the bank. 

DulwichHamlet_TransferHistory.thumb.png.2bb5cfb78403f0a59b51d12b03cc43cb.png

Edited by Nottingham Forest

4 minutes ago, Gersdude123 said:

Got a question how long will it take before i can have the right finances in the club for board to allow upgrade of Youth facilities.  

What level are you on just now?

I found particularly in my last save that the projection played a bigger part in the board’s decision making process than my actual balance, so keep an eye on that.

1 hour ago, Neo_Geo said:

Technically he did hit the back of the net……just the wrong side of it

Also @XaW I take it you never saw Vaclav Cerny missing a very similar chance for Rangers against Malmo? Not just Welsh football that lacks quality :lol:

No, didn't see it. It was just the epic slow running that made it stand out to me, and then topped it off by missing the goal completely! :p 

image.png.ce0b7caa6584effd0e77e58fda1e830d.png

5th season update 

We survive again, this time with a couple of games to spare, finances still showing as insecure and I still haven't made any progress on youth recruitment etc.

This one may be my toughest challenge but feeling a little less pessimistic about it now. 

Took drastic measures with the team and released quite a few players to cut the wage bill to a measly 10k a week :lol:.

I have 18 players in total and only 7 players over 20, desperate times and all that.

Youth intake I'm only taking 2-3 players a season atm, basically any player showing 3 star current ability or above

My big problem is I have no fans

image.png.dd2082c0f3a76ab9ad7af716ca0be61f.png

30k stadium and I'm only getting 2k attendances on average.

This is going to be a long challenge:lol:

It looks like my objective every year is just going to be to cling on in the league and hope I can gradually improve my rep etc

I've managed to defy the odds every year so far 

image.png.d72580843e69d3ece9ab0b6ef90ea808.png

One thing I like about this league so far is the 30 game seasons, I get knocked out of the cup every year 1st round so only 31 games.

It's a nice quick season to fly through, so onto the next one

8 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

What level are you on just now?

I found particularly in my last save that the projection played a bigger part in the board’s decision making process than my actual balance, so keep an eye on that.

Just managed to get promotion to the 2nd tier 

Rödinghausen - Germany 3.Liga - 2026/27 - 14th

We keep holding on as we try to get our youngsters to develop. We now have three important starters and a handful more rotation options, which means the transition to a younger squad continues, but I don't want to get rid of all my older players and endanger a relegation in a future season.

In other news, the board decided that instead of improving facilities they want to build a new stadium so we now have a debt to pay and no money to do it...

SVRdinghausen_DebtandLoans.thumb.png.30cd6cada9a253ef6d111bb0d03823ee.pngKnigLwenherz_Inbox.thumb.png.b3756bcab584442359d8b4c006e7128f.png3.Liga_Stages.thumb.png.895884c722d84c752808085d29c5b173.png

19 minutes ago, Gersdude123 said:

Just managed to get promotion to the 2nd tier 

Sorry I meant youth facilities as that will give an idea of how much the next rank will cost

2 hours ago, Gersdude123 said:

They are at 2 star and are adequate atm.

There are a lot of factors involved as the cost of youth facility improvements will vary depending on nation and reputation of the club you are at.

That cost obviously factors in to the boards decision to approve it or not based on current balance, projected balance and both your and your chairperson's determination.

In Croatia I had £1.6m for the youth facility improvement that took me to 10 (or 2.5 stars) at the time the club were 2.5 star reputation.

I'd say that in order to get them to agree to it you'd need enough money in the bank to still be in the black at the end of the season following an investment like that.

Portugal may well have a higher cost for facilities as its reputation will be a bit higher than Croatia but that might give you something to work with.

The previous one that took it to 9 was £650k.

UMF_Selfoss.png.06a488931a297b3d70d671df2150ec1f.png
Ungmennafélag Selfoss

Time for a new challenge. I went back to my Danish save with BK Skjold, but I really disliked the contract-thing. Some of my youngsters, who were on a semi-pro contract, got poached by bigger clubs for free. And although I could give them bigger contracts, but I'm not willing to give all my youngsters a big contract, just to avoid that they are leaving the club for free. That would have cost me a lot of money.

So I decided to try a new save on Iceland. A country I love to manage in. My favorite club, ÍR, is not available for the Youth Only Challenge anymore, as they are playing in the second division(1. Deild) from season 2024.
So I holidayed season 2024 until december 2024, and chose UMF Selfoss as my club! A club with nice club colours. And quite a large squad (32 players), so that's very welcome. There is one arranged transfer, as you can see on the screenshot. So I'm allowed to play with him, if I need him.

And to my big surprise I saw that Selfoss qualified for the Europa Conference League :eek: They won the Cup last season, and so qualified for the Conference League. That's for the very first time that I start a Youth Only save, and play European football from the start!

084kfuG.png
OMsDeKT.png

uIPvc2K.png

Y5x8JEB.png

ChMie9w.png

Edited by Winski

You wait months for an Icelandic save to come along then two come along at once :lol:

Good luck @Winski 

Don’t want to tempt fate but it’s going quite well for my at Vikingur O. (Or VIKO as the abbreviated in match name refers to my team), I just spent a while generating kits for all of the clubs as it really breaks my immersion not having a real looking kit for my team or my opponents.

5 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

You wait months for an Icelandic save to come along then two come along at once :lol:

Good luck @Winski 

Don’t want to tempt fate but it’s going quite well for my at Vikingur O. (Or VIKO as the abbreviated in match name refers to my team), I just spent a while generating kits for all of the clubs as it really breaks my immersion not having a real looking kit for my team or my opponents.

Thanks, @Neo_Geo! Your decision to join Vikingur O. triggered me to also start a save on Iceland. So yeah, thanks for that :D

Ah, nice that you make kits for all of the clubs! I use a (2D) kitpack from FM Slovakia, for the playable divisions. So I have 2D kits for the bigger clubs. But for the lower league clubs, I haven't got any kits. But I can't really bother about that, as you won't play that often against lower league clubs. But I do miss 3D kits. I always make my own 2D and 3D kits for the clubs I'm managing. But I don't have a 3D kitpack for Icelandic clubs. So yeah, maybe I'll do the same as you. But I'll first want to play a couple of seasons, to see if I stick to this save.

@Gersdude123, congrats on the promotion.

Any joy with your youth facilities?

I love how you say the intake was “not too bad” then display Ribeiro’s technical and mental attributes :lol: certainly lacking in physicals but he looks a fantastic prospect, get him locked down to a big ol’ contract!

7 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

@Gersdude123, congrats on the promotion.

Any joy with your youth facilities?

I love how you say the intake was “not too bad” then display Ribeiro’s technical and mental attributes :lol: certainly lacking in physicals but he looks a fantastic prospect, get him locked down to a big ol’ contract!

Not had joy with upgrading them yet.

3 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

What the heck happened to the new saints @XaW?

You tell me! They just became crap and have finished 6th, 8th, and 5th in the last 3 season. and just this summer they scaled back and are now semi-professional too! So no major advantage for them anymore! Everything went downhill after they fired their starting manager back in 2026, and now Joe Allen (of Swansea, Liverpool, and Stoke fame) has just taken over as manager.

If anything it makes the league a bit more interesting, and also not that impossible to win the league I hope!

5 minutes ago, Kelb said:

During the last 2 days, I’ve read the through the 16 first pages of the thread and it motivated me to create an account, start my save and start to post to keep track of the save and share it with the community !

Welcome!  It's a really fun challenge.

Welcome to the family @Kelb you’re going to have a lot of fun, despair, joy and frustration all rolled into 1 but what a ride.

Good luck with The Kilby.

28 minutes ago, XaW said:

grJXaMa.gifS

Sonny Fish from Bala Town just did this to us... I feel violated!

That’s just filth…..no other word.

Reminds me of Dado Prso’s goal at Pittodrie…..the gold old days :D

54 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Congrats on winning the title with Crewe @mpm2342 :applause:

Halfway there, now just the small matter of winning the champions league with a northern Irish side :brock:

Thanks.  Good thing I am stubborn enough to see this one through, because it might take a while - especially if the vultures start taking players.

16 minutes ago, mpm2342 said:

Thanks.  Good thing I am stubborn enough to see this one through, because it might take a while - especially if the vultures start taking players.

How are you finding all of the cup games? In particular having to play in the SPFL Trophy really bothered me, the thought of being in that whilst simultaneously being in the champions league group stage just seems so off but it’s hardwired into the game so it’s not like over time the places in that cup no longer go to northern Irish sides.

I sometimes regret not continuing my save with Crewe but then I remember the cup games (whilst in Iceland I’m looking at 2 cups and 22 league games).

Hopefully you can ride it out as it’s one of the remaining nations (and the last UK nation) yet to be completed.

8 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

How are you finding all of the cup games? In particular having to play in the SPFL Trophy really bothered me, the thought of being in that whilst simultaneously being in the champions league group stage just seems so off but it’s hardwired into the game so it’s not like over time the places in that cup no longer go to northern Irish sides.

I sometimes regret not continuing my save with Crewe but then I remember the cup games (whilst in Iceland I’m looking at 2 cups and 22 league games).

Hopefully you can ride it out as it’s one of the remaining nations (and the last UK nation) yet to be completed.

I remember a save I had on FM19 with Crusaders in Northern Ireland (not a youth only save). I think I had 3 squads. 1 for Champions League, 1 for the regular league and one for the Noddy cups. Seasons took ages! I think it was before I had a simulate match feature as I was using the vanilla skin. I never actually won the Champions League on that save and still think about firing it up to finish it one day!