The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

1 minute ago, JAwtunes said:

A life well spent my friend

I used to play (too?) much, then Covid happened, and there were nothing else to do, so it just doubled! :onmehead:

I'm not addicted, you are! :D 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, XaW said:

Never felt that doing general training was worth the effort, so leaving that to the assman. Doing individual myself, setting the role I use them in and any attribute I think they need to improve. I do a check on that if I get a message from the staff regarding it, or two times a year. Jan 1st and Jul 1st I do a full check of all individual training and change as appropriate.

Anyone under 18 will mostly get better from training well (high training ratings), and over 18 most need game time to progress. This is a general advise and there can be individual differences from player to player.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe my quality of coaching is having an effect (2/2.5*) on each, mainly because I can only have 5 coaches and can't attract many decent ones. Still early days though and got a batch through with decent personalities so will keep an eye on things. 

Wow @XaW I bow my head I’m far from that and it all makes sense. Thank you for sharing that insight, that was really unexpected. 
as well as the other up-lifting comments. Thanks much!

And I have 6 points now between us and the dreaded line of drop. 

2 hours ago, Skora11 said:

What is everyone's approach to training? Only 2nd season in but my youngsters attributes don't seem to be improving much at all (technical attributes even falling in some cases). Spanish 4th tier where my team is professional so they are training full time.

At the moment my team is only semi-pro, so I'm not doing much training of any kind that will probably benefit. When it comes to full time training, my personal opinion is that unless you're aiming to increase certain stats for players, you may as well just let the assman do it. Personally I have already developed a training program which I plan to use once we eventually go full time (if...), it served me very well in an experiment I did, so I'm excited to see what kind of results I get in a challenge like this.

This is basically my training schedule at semi-pro... I don't know if its doing any good, but our results seem to be decent so I guess I'll leave as is.

TrainingSemi-Pro.thumb.png.4e36892751db8ec09577798bf5632947.png

2 hours ago, Skora11 said:

Thanks for the advice. Maybe my quality of coaching is having an effect (2/2.5*) on each, mainly because I can only have 5 coaches and can't attract many decent ones. Still early days though and got a batch through with decent personalities so will keep an eye on things. 

Yeah, I think I would add the positional training to fit what they play and then just try to focus on any weakness based on the role. And get in the best staff you can attract and afford.

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Wow @XaW I bow my head I’m far from that and it all makes sense. Thank you for sharing that insight, that was really unexpected. 
as well as the other up-lifting comments. Thanks much!

And I have 6 points now between us and the dreaded line of drop. 

More time spent doing something means more experience after all. I know I'm not the best FM player of all time, but I've been doing it for a very long time and that allows me to recognize patterns at least. Also, remember that from FM18 to FM23 I played this challenge almost exclusively and never completed it. So that should be enough to know that this challenge really is a hard one! Stay in there, and take the losses along the wins, and as long as you learn from the losses you'll succeed eventually!

25 minutos atrás, XaW disse:

Yeah, I think I would add the positional training to fit what they play and then just try to focus on any weakness based on the role. And get in the best staff you can attract and afford.

More time spent doing something means more experience after all. I know I'm not the best FM player of all time, but I've been doing it for a very long time and that allows me to recognize patterns at least. Also, remember that from FM18 to FM23 I played this challenge almost exclusively and never completed it. So that should be enough to know that this challenge really is a hard one! Stay in there, and take the losses along the wins, and as long as you learn from the losses you'll succeed eventually!

My hat's off to you for your success and resilience. :applause:

I play almost without posting because I always end up fired in the first few seasons.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

This is exactly that for me too, I mean I've only completed it once. I may drift away form time to time but I always return to this challenge and I don't think that's just because of how tough this challenge is I do think it's the community that helps so much. I've no idea why this challenge has exploded so much over the past few years but I'm happy that the sense of community and the willingness to help each other out and offer advice as well as supprt hasn't changed. In fact it's probably gotten even better.

6 hours ago, Skora11 said:

What is everyone's approach to training? Only 2nd season in but my youngsters attributes don't seem to be improving much at all (technical attributes even falling in some cases). Spanish 4th tier where my team is professional so they are training full time.

6 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

You all play that game that easy ... why me ... why do I need to have such a hard time :seagull:

;)

On this though I'm pretty much same as Xaw and Neo:

6 hours ago, XaW said:

Never felt that doing general training was worth the effort, so leaving that to the assman. Doing individual myself, setting the role I use them in and any attribute I think they need to improve. I do a check on that if I get a message from the staff regarding it, or two times a year. Jan 1st and Jul 1st I do a full check of all individual training and change as appropriate.

Anyone under 18 will mostly get better from training well (high training ratings), and over 18 most need game time to progress. This is a general advise and there can be individual differences from player to player.

5 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

Many, many, many hours and failed approaches help you refine it.

Like XaW I never do general training, I get a competent assistant manager in and leave them to it but I always do individual training at every level.

Im also tend to lean towards match time for my youth players over training. I know a few high profile youtuber sorts such as Zealand have done research (or rather his team researched) on the optimal regime for youth players to develop them based on their age.

Whilst I largely follow my nose on this matter I do try to make sure if I bring a youth player on it’s with 15+ mins to go and the game is going well but I often favour giving them a few appearances here and there when they are 15/16 then loan them out at 17 as long as the club they go to are going to have them playing regularly.

of course this depends on where you are in the save. If it’s early doors your squad is top heavy with U20 players so giving a 15/16 year old game time is quite easy to do. If you are further in and have an established squad of over 20s players then unless it’s a really top notch youngster coming through it will be hard to give them opportunities.

I focus on player role and then individual focus on any attribute I feel the need to focus on. It's not an exact science but because I've been using pretty much same tactic for several versions now I know what my players need to paly it so I can focus on what I need. 

As XaW said about U18s needing training and over 18s game time what I try and do is as soon as someone hits 18, if they're not going to be part of my first team squad then I'm happy to loan them out to get game time, for example this current season I've loaned out 2 players that have a year left to give them a season to try and prove they can be part of my team and got new deals but also loaned out a young keeper as he needs game time even if it means my backup keeper is a lot worse, like training there's no exact way to develop players and a lot of it is trail and error. 

14 hours ago, Skora11 said:

I set the role and individual training myself for every player. I praise/criticize every single week zealously. I tracked CA improvements few a few seasons in my Argetina save. Kids with the right personalities improved up to 35CA per year. The club had average training facilities, with most coaches being aorund 3 star.  But if the personalities arent right there is little you can do.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb darren1983:

We have our first home grown international

KemarGriffith31A_Profile.thumb.png.19aab0a9addaf435c9bb744c617e8710.png

I really feel for our keeper who has been in the Jamaica squad for the past 12 months and even went to the Copa America but has yet to displace their number 1 :D 

Barbados right?

@darren1983 kind words thank you. Now I feel much better and encouraged. Seems everybody needs to go through that time.

I look at my hero @Padders :kriss::hammer:

Edited by HanziZoloman

usually intake previews don't tell that much. this time I really hope they don't. My desktop crashed and ...well..

this was the preview before the crash. looks pretty good.

image.png.0a1e46d52a8fb517276efac200a51d9f.png

But after the crash as I replayd those 4 days missed (no matches just practise.) 

image.png.120e8266133eecb63d16c9b81aaf2313.png

I wish I had saved the game right after the first preview.

23 hours ago, XaW said:

And also the sense of community in this thread has always been something that kept me going. Sure, it's a competition in a way, but everyone is always cheering on each other, taking part in other people's glory and failures. Sure, we were what, 5-10 active people at the time, and not the big sub community of the forums we are starting to become the last few years, but the fellowship of the challenge is still key.

I am also doing the challenge, but individually because I allow myself to sign back my academy products. A major reason I stuck with it for 18 seasons and only 2 domestic cup titles is this thread. So hats off to you and well said. The main reason though is @Padders, truly a legend! :applause:

Hoping to get a league title by the time FM25 comes out, otherwise I'll transfer the save over. Having many leagues loaded has made it nearly impossible to win a European title. :rolleyes:

What I also love about this challenge besides the community is the tactical aspect. Normally, you can buy your ideal Half Back, but in the challenge you either develop the player or end up adapting the tactics to your players.

Edited by BillHoudini24

40 minutes ago, BillHoudini24 said:

I am also doing the challenge, but individually because I allow myself to sign back my academy products. A major reason I stuck with it for 18 seasons and only 2 domestic cup titles is this thread. So hats off to you and well said. The main reason though is @Padders, truly a legend! :applause:

Hoping to get a league title by the time FM25 comes out, otherwise I'll transfer the save over. Having many leagues loaded has made it nearly impossible to win a European title. :rolleyes:

What I also love about this challenge besides the community is the tactical aspect. Normally, you can buy your ideal Half Back, but in the challenge you either develop the player or end up adapting the tactics to your players.

Totally agree. Making the most of what you have at the club, rotating to keep players fresh, tweaking tactics before and during the game to deal with rotation/injuries/suspensions etc.

There is always something you can be doing to try and succeed rather than stick with your favoured formation, sign players that fit the formation, scout for wonderkids, sign them win everything then get bored and quit your save.

Challenges are where it’s at in FM for me and this one is the hardest and most enjoyable.

I have a problem in my save. I have no good set-piece takers!

We are a Premier League team but these are the stats of my best set-piece taker of every category:
Free kicks: 13
Corners: 10
Long Throws: 10
Penalties: 10

Is it a problem with my training? How is the situation in your club? And what do you do?

7 hours ago, fries said:

We are a Premier League team but these are the stats of my best set-piece taker of every category:

Is it a problem with my training? How is the situation in your club? And what do you do?

Just a question of luck i think. I had my first 15+ penalty taker in my 23rd season of my Merthyr Town save.

11 hours ago, fries said:

I'm in 2046 and the best penalty taker I ever had was 9 I guess, current taker is at 4. best at corners was 12 and free kicks mayby 10. In long throws I've never had anyone half decent.

Edit: best ever free kicks was 11.

Edited by Matsusipida

13 hours ago, Riebow said:

oudenaarde.png.cb6b628d01df5f817dd97a5c808aec8b.png

KSV Oudenaarde Season Review (33/34)

League

We struggled a bit early in the season, but finished strong to end up in a safe 10th place.

Screenshot2024-07-09at15_51_48.png.691ccd8233e91e2029e0dff3e2afecff.png

Second Group

A decent run in the European Qualifying group, where we finished second, despite rotating a lot and giving playing time to younger players.

Screenshot2024-07-10at21_15_31.thumb.png.7b14a933485ed95cebea768594ac2e23.png

Croky Cup

As what has become an annual tradition, we lose in the quarter finals against Anderlecht

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-09at15_51_58.thumb.png.3e6928ea2b921b7fe1fac9e07497e02a.png

Youth Intake

After last season's 9 elite talents, this intake claims to do even better with 10. Also very happy with the many positive personalities! The belle of the ball is David Le Bail,  a resolute central midfielder.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-07at02_03_41.thumb.png.e3bf4c5e0ccf6d3d95349dcbe4a1b745.png

David Le Bail (M/AMC/STC; Resolute)

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-07at02_03_54.thumb.png.c08cf3ae869dc702b9c32c75414e855e.png

Transfers

I'm in the 'half of my players are out on loan'-phase of the save. I even made a bit of money.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-10at21_25_14.thumb.png.97de474cbeac36e9601f32a0ec55c021.png

NXGN

Simone Cortinovis had become my starting striker at the end of the season. He also finished 3rd in the NXGN List.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-07at10_09_10.thumb.png.b1f9edf39742aa7edf3d7a1148bbdec4.png

Simone Cortinovis (AML/STC; Balanced)

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-07-07at10_09_32.thumb.png.71202e19ad85cc8b8453dc2c8d72282a.png

5 years ago...

This intake gave me three starting defenders in Alexis Detry, Justin Theodor and Rube De Weirdt. To be honest they're all stopgaps , waiting for better defensive talent. 

Rolly Kitenge was supposed to be the star of the intake, but never developed much and is no longer at the team. 

Thomas Gasparotto is a good squad player, who's a weapon on set pieces, with his 16 for Free Kick Taking

No other player made it close to the first team.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b7d55f19566a2d561153f0b9bdee444f.png

Next season

For the first time in the save, I feel like we have a decent squad with promising youngsters. I'm hoping to compete for the 6th spot and a place in the championship group. Who knows we might even not get Anderlecht for once in the Cup!

I look forward to Tran huu Tuan developing into the Vietnamese Messi! 

12 hours ago, fries said:

It's all luck - I recently posted to show in my penalty shootout the best we have was penalty taking of 4! (We still won!)

13 hours ago, fries said:

I have the same problem after 18 seasons and maxed out recruitment/facilities. I also don't know if it's a training issue, but I am working around it by having all the set pieces taken short.

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

Season 144 - 2166/67 - PL

Another record finish, finishing 12th with 46 points

We had another mid season slump but again finished really strongly winning the last 5 games

image.png.c8fd4d389afb4322e5d5e5adc7f0e62a.png

20240711160845_1.thumb.jpg.1fbe3af55fd83aabf190383c5a8c1ceb.jpg20240711142712_1.thumb.jpg.0489fc4eb82653620f9b68d3095c7c43.jpg20240711142724_1.thumb.jpg.6fa4b379ada07d4c5f4476d7528295ec.jpg20240711160803_1.thumb.jpg.6a9b6de5e8e98b1c7227fe4674b58b12.jpg20240711160842_1.thumb.jpg.72ed5d502eb68ba09c8e4316ae1c2cf7.jpg

image.thumb.png.216fff91199e7c8ec260bfb2db3ad7f2.png

Great stuff, all those elite talents coming through now hopefully that continues. Noticed quite a few 2.5* CA's recently as well. What level is that currently at? League 1?

Willetts must be a cracking player, good to see he is tied down for 3 more seasons at least.

Yes have had a coupe more over 2* stars which is good to see

Latest two, one looks decent but poor personality, Baker

The other looks ok but better personality, Crellin-Methen

image.thumb.jpeg.fe21ef3d53a4e34a99545e9f512b19d7.jpeg20240711163513_1.thumb.jpg.04df53f31727f17961792604aebfe7a8.jpg

15 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Great stuff, all those elite talents coming through now hopefully that continues. Noticed quite a few 2.5* CA's recently as well. What level is that currently at? League 1?

Willetts must be a cracking player, good to see he is tied down for 3 more seasons at least.

Willetts is my only PL standard player

But it will come as no surprise that he wants to leave and join a stronger squad club :(

20240711164302_1.thumb.jpg.a4512ab42966c97793446aaec807de26.jpg20240711164324_1.thumb.jpg.fa337baa0da9bf48e49f24e47de0f58d.jpg

Edited by Padders

Haringey has been very enjoyable for me, but I can't keep going at the 1 season every 2-3 weeks pace in England. Looking to go outside of Europe for the next one, holidaying in Ecuador and Venezuela to see what sticks (and if the editor files have any issues).

16 hours ago, Padders said:

ha ha and just like, he is gone :seagull:

Minimum fee release clause met by Brighton

image.thumb.jpeg.ec36c8d910e56858e2318cfdcd6bfd4c.jpeg

Can you not get them to sign decent deals with no minimum fee release clause? 

Escudo_del_Deportivo_Quito.png

Sociedad Deportivo Quito - Youth Intake Season 1

I've never been treated this well. Take over the club January 1 and get my first intake January 15. Managed to hire a HOYD in the meantime but not sure how much impact he would have had on these guys. Since we are a professional club, I'm only planning on keeping the high potential players. We have first division ambitions right out of the gate and have the infrastructure to actually develop players.

4OdE08.jpg

We already have about 6 central defenders at the club so would have preferred another position.

pUanAT.jpg

Now I do enjoy having a backup wing back.

Izciun.jpg

Again don't need a short central defender, will train him as a wing back.

ycU6zj.jpg