Game 42: Portugal vs Slovenia live from the Frankfurt Arena. BBC1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/07/24 at 18:59

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Thqt penalty shootout was so onesided

And Cristiano's missed penalty was better than Slovenia's three attempts

Edited by Orzelek

Just now, ThanatosAFC said:

Slovenia came close but boring knockouts so far, no big upset so far.

Not totally unexpected but Switzerland completely ran over Italy the other day. 

Just now, Darius1998 said:

Not totally unexpected but Switzerland completely ran over Italy the other day. 

Switzerland was kinda the favorite for me since Italy was really poor in the qualifictions and on this tourament.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Sesko bottling two big chances, and three **** penalties in the shooutout. 

Very good team effort to take it to pens mind but that late chance should haunt Sesko for a while. 

What was their third pen about? Looked like he'd given up.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

That Ilicic pen is just a great save.

yeah, tbh I didn't think he fancied it when they zoomed in on him in the buildup, but that penalty beats a keeper going the right way a lot of the time.

Second and third pens weren't very good. Portugal's were excellent.

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Not to try and make out he had an easy job, but those were about as easy a set of pens to save as you can get

3rd pen was poor but the 1st and 2nd are still top saves IMO 

I didn’t have high hopes for him as we put 4 past him without much bother earlier this season 

Sesko should have finished his chance but didn't look confident at all when he was in front of goal. For someone who is seemingly quite hyped, I really don't see it.

Slovenia backing up my claim about not being very good offensively earlier with that miss near the end.

In defence though, they all done well and are you sure he's called Bijol, not Puyol?

Sesko not taking a penalty isn't great either, surely a top striker should be stepping up? Surely he can't have been worse than what we saw?

Just now, av3ry said:

Slovenia backing up my claim about not being very good offensively earlier with that miss near the end.

In defence though, they all done well and are you sure he's called Bijol, not Puyol?

Managed to stay awake then? 

Just now, sc91 said:

Sesko should have finished his chance but didn't look confident at all when he was in front of goal. For someone who is seemingly quite hyped, I really don't see it.

He had 2 fantastic chances. The first was a complete scuffer. Really poor.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Managed to stay awake then? 

I did :D

Must admit it was getting tough at the start of extra time though.

Edited by av3ry

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Your home of expert analysis

xwise

Never had a shootout on senior level in Europe for Porto before this season against Arsenal.

0/4 against Arsenal.

Before that, had a shootout in UEFA Youth League, 20th April 2018.

2/7 were missed, 0 saves.

Before that, U20 World Cup, 4th of June 2017.

2/7 were missed, 0 saves. (transfermarkt is listing both saves or misses, 3 Portugese penalties were saved then.)

Before that, U16 friendly, 12th of February 2015.

0/4 saves.

As per usual, you're pulling stuff out of I don't know where, with no data available.

He's 10/39 in senior games, with two shootouts, both happening this season.

0/4 against Arsenal and 3/3 against Slovenia.

Didn't make any shootout saves in youth tournaments.

Porto didn't have a Portugese cup or supercup shootout with him in goal for senior team.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Feel for Slovenia but they had the chances, particularly that one in extra time, and didn't have the quality to take them.

If Portugal had that one-on-one, they probably take it.

3 minutes ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

He had 2 fantastic chances. The first was a complete scuffer. Really poor.

Any semi decent striker buries both of them, the second was the worst, almost like he didn't know what to do. I know head held high and such but he's cost Slovenia going through.

4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Sesko not taking a penalty isn't great either, surely a top striker should be stepping up? Surely he can't have been worse than what we saw?

Based on his other finishes, he'd probably have sent it into orbit

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

If Portugal had that one-on-one, they probably take it.

Nah, it probably falls to Ronaldo who lets the defender catch him and then appeals for a penalty instead (he put the one on one he did have from an angle straight at Oblak too)

17 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Neither did I, but too small a sample size.

• Administrators

Thought that was a really intriguing 0-0. Dreadful penalties, drama wise. Really disappointing. Slovenia should have had no fear but their body language was bricking it in all of those penalties. Sesko should have put that chance away in extra time as well.

Think France will fancy their chances against this Portugal side inside 90 minutes, Hernandez against Cancelo is going to be something to watch assuming Cancelo gets as high up the pitch as he did today.

A shame Portugal didn't go out as I'll always root for the underdog in these games, and I don't like the players in the Portugal squad much. 

Rooting for Romania and Austria tomorrow. :thup:

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Think France will fancy their chances against this Portugal side inside 90 minutes

No **** :lol:

We'll get annihilated

11 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Gotta say based off this tournament it looks like we got lucky Sesko turned us down 

He hit a really nice run of league form in the second half of the season that seemed to have convinced a few that he would be a good signing - but judging from this tournament I'm not convinced he'd be ready. Have to praise him for seeming to know himself staying at this current club was the right move.

Posted (edited)

Thought Portugal were ok for about 50-60 minutes then got worse.

Slovenia were another team that mostly sat back yet had no real threat on the break either, it's why Georgia were fun but I'm not that sad to see Slovakia/Slovenia/Czechia/Albania out

Edited by The_jagster

Who else do Portugal have at centre forward? I know Ronaldo is never getting dropped, but he's been an absolute passenger for most of this tournament and surely he'll be gone soon? Who steps into his shoes?

16 minutes ago, eenie said:

Who else do Portugal have at centre forward? I know Ronaldo is never getting dropped, but he's been an absolute passenger for most of this tournament and surely he'll be gone soon? Who steps into his shoes?

Goncalo Ramos, although he hasn't exactly been great at PSG, Andre Silva if he ever recovers his Porto or Frankfurt form (still only 28 after all) or they could just play Jota through the middle.

Maybe even Joao Felix as a false nine.

3 hours ago, The_jagster said:

Thought Portugal were ok for about 50-60 minutes then got worse.

It's almost as if dropping Vitinha who was (again) running the midfield on his own and making everything tick, was a ****ing terrible idea.

We were pretty fine the first 20 minutes, wobbled a bit after that but still remained well on top of the match. It was after removing Vitinha that we became dysfunctional, lacking ideas and with a huge difficulty in moving the ball from defence to attack, almost England-style (although with more attacking players on the pitch).