The Final: Spain vs England live from the Olympiastadion, Berlin. BBC1 AND ITV1. Sunday 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/07/24 at 18:59

Somewhat random, but what happened to Grealish is the ultimate karmic justice, tbh.

He always had that demeanor and styling of best player on the team with his Totti impression, annoying for everyone other than his team's fans...only to be the biggest coward on the team and not dare to shoot a penalty as a player just sold for more than 100M.

Instead, he left the burden of the entire nation on a then 19 year old Saka who obviously wasn't ready.

Three years later and Saka is England's best player in the tournament while Grealish is watching on TV.

Funny how life works sometimes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

I wouldn't criticise anybody for not wanting to take a penalty tbh, its a very specific thing and its more mental than anything

Would agree if it was someone who acted like he has any humility.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Somewhat random, but what happened to Grealish is the ultimate karmic justice, tbh.

He always had that demeanor and styling of best player on the team with his Totti impression, annoying for everyone other than his team's fans...only to be the biggest coward on the team and not dare to shoot a penalty as a player just sold for more than 100M.

Instead, he left the burden of the entire nation on a then 19 year old Saka who obviously wasn't ready.

Three years later and Saka is England's best player in the tournament while Grealish is watching on TV.

Doing hellmans adverts n that tho

Honestly Grealish is going to love it. Remember Ronaldo willing his team on from the sidelines, or John Terry in full kit for the Champions League final he wasn't playing in and didn't lose

Neither of them have got anything on what Grealish will get up to when he joins in the open top bus parade :D 

A team that has won every match vs a team that's won two matches in normal time and then squeaked through anyway.

England's time.

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Never seen you post any fake news before but this is 😜 it is ironic when you look at him VS Ollie though, who has stayed at Villa (not that he had an option to leave like Grealish did).

Edited by Baptista_8

32 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Never seen you post any fake news before but this is 😜 it is ironic when you look at him VS Ollie though, who has stayed at Villa (not that he had an option to leave like Grealish did).

1 hour ago, arenaross said:

Can't trust him, tbh.

And if it's actually true, then my bad for missing that one.

But then again, manager trusting three younger players to take pens ahead of him says a lot.

13 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Can't trust him, tbh.

And if it's actually true, then my bad for missing that one.

But then again, manager trusting three younger players to take pens ahead of him says a lot.

I genuinely don't think Southgate likes Grealish. And that's his prerogative tbh.

Not everything has to be somebodies fault.

We know now Saka is a really good penalty taker, probably better then Grealish. Maybe Grealish would have handled the pressure better, maybe he wouldn't. But if Saka wants to take it and is up for and by all accounts had one of the best penalty records in training then going with him over Grealish isn't some outrageous decision. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with the 5 takers. Rashford and Kane are top penalty takers. Sancho had taken them for Dortmund and all through out his career. If you were going to put Grealish in for anyone it would have been Maguire but he stuck his away perfectly. You just gotta trust the management team have the best data/vibes for who the best 5 are over us sitting at home

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

I genuinely don't think Southgate likes Grealish. And that's his prerogative tbh.

I can believe that, but then nothing to base it on other than vibes. 

• Administrators

I just feel for them with all that media frenzy. 

And also because I'm absolutely sick, bricking it now :D 

22 hours ago, Federico said:

Well, as said 3 years ago in that thread "...believe it or not, you'll have another chance someday. Football always gives another chance."

Here's your "another chance".

Don't waste it, good luck for the final!

3 years ago according to this my main concern was trying to work out what time to arrive at the pub to guarantee a view but not be too drunk, and that's my main concern again this time. (why oh why do I never book anywhere)

Except that 3 years later I've discovered non-alcoholic beer. TURN THE PAGE!!

16 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Grealish is everything Southgate isn't as a person. They're absolute opposites in personality.

Not a slight on either that is as well.

Think I've got a slight biased towards England on this, more that a 'it'd be nice if they could finally win it,' feeling. 

Can't imagine the feeling that being said, finals are something in my choices of team that I appear to have unconsciously decided to opt out of.

14 minutes ago, silentwars said:

When I look at the teams Spain have beaten and how we've struggled to overcome the likes of Slovakia & Switzerland then I think we have to be considered outsiders.

Spain are obviously favourites, they've been the best team in the tournament and overcoming Germany and France to get to the final is always going to be seen as an achievement. However, France were miles off their best so far, and then in the group Italy and Croatia were incredibly underwhelming. Italy got massively outplayed by Switzerland.

We've (incredibly slowly) grown into this tournament, so I wouldn't put too much into who Spain have got past to be honest. But having said all this, we've looked as far off our best as France did so it would definitely be a surprise if we were to win. Spain are just a very good team.

47 minutes ago, silentwars said:

When I look at the teams Spain have beaten and how we've struggled to overcome the likes of Slovakia & Switzerland then I think we have to be considered outsiders.

Spain are the clear favourites, that's not at all surprising. 

On 12/07/2024 at 17:05, Coulthard's Jaw said:

image.png.705d090f42bb78367048a1787fdb25ba.png

Cesc Fabregas - Hideous mullet.

Salvador Dali - Makes clocks melt.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario - Never won a Wimbledon single's title.

Pep Guardiola - Bald fraud.

Rafael Nadal - Injured.

Antoni Gaudi - Still hasn't finished his bloody cathedral.

Penelope Cruz - Nominated for a Golden Raspberry last year.

Guy Number 8 - No idea who he is, but I'm sure he's rubbish too.

On 12/07/2024 at 17:05, Coulthard's Jaw said:

image.png.27c8e16ad7732b0d701e9273661b017a.png

Charlie 3 - What a great polo player he was, by the way.

Diana Spencer - The People's Princess.

Lewis Hamilton - Won the British Grand Prix NINE times.

Derren Brown - Great at predicting the lottery numbers.

Gareth Southgate - The greatest manager England has ever had. Probably.

Seal - Once married to Heidi Klum.

Mary Berry - Makes exceedingly good cakes.

Bukayo Saka - Starboy.

8-0 win for England, then. :p

22 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Still hours to go man. I wanna get drunk NOW dammit

Literally been the slowest day ever so far.

1 hour ago, Wavelberry said:

Still hours to go man. I wanna get drunk NOW dammit

Pub since 1 and not an England fan, the feck is keeping you all from holding back. It's a final :D.

27 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Pub since 1 and not an England fan, the feck is keeping you all from holding back. It's a final :D.

Is it busy? I'm heading off to one soon (presumably a different one to the one you're in)

53 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Is it busy? I'm heading off to one soon (presumably a different one to the one you're in)

Decently busy, but weather is nice, dropping the kids off home soon mind and then coming back round. Slowly building up.

1 hour ago, m_fenton said:

Might have 1 or 2 sociably during a game, but never been one to actually get drunk for one. I want to pay attention to and enjoy the match ffs.

I'll be honest, the idea of watching a match of importance whilst being completely sober is daunting. Having to completely focus on it, argh!

I think the experience of the last final will help us tonight.

The weather has been kind too. A hotter day would add to the attrition and maybe the impact of the day less recovery time.

Edited by EdBed

26 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Shaw had to start really. Couldn't take him to tournament and not start him come final. Be interesting to see if he can last beyond HT.

Dunno, there's always the argument for a right footed LB versus and left footed right winger. Especially someone potentially as key as Lamal.

Walker should be able to nullify Williams if he's on his game, so Lamal versus the left back is a key duel.

I trust Southgate to flip a coin and it somehow be the right decision

Edited by Bootador