The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I'm still sticking with my customary 4-4-2 hoofball

Have you considered the viability of this style of play in a 4222 Wide? I think a wide target man and secundo volante could really thrive in this approach. It is something I am looking to deploy if a talented, hard working all - rounder comes through the youth ranks.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, toshimitzou1 said:

Have you considered the viability of this style of play in a 4222 Wide? I think a wide target man and secundo volante could really thrive in this approach. It is something I am looking to deploy if a talented, hard working all - rounder comes through the youth ranks.

I've been toying with the idea, but I'm not a very good tactician (without losing A LOT!), so whenever I have something that sort of works, I tend to not change the basis. So perhaps I'll make it my future test tactic, but a wide target man? I really need to get one of them in a future intake to do so! None of my wingers have more than 8 in jumping reach! :D

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

I really need to get one of them in a future intake to do so

LOL. Yes, I employed the WTM because I have 3 x players who came in my early intakes whom are more than competent. Keep in mind, the best WTM tend to be retrained CF's,  or FB,s. 

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

I tend to not change the basis

Could not agree more.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

So perhaps I'll make it my future test tactic

I'm no master tactician either, but pretty competent when it comes to setting up defensively solid tactics. If you want to collaborate at any point let me know.

3 hours ago, darren1983 said:

If any of you just starting in England now finish this before me there I'm gonna very upset :D 

This translates into "complete it before me and you're not getting on the HoF!"

11 minutes ago, JAwtunes said:

This translates into "complete it before me and you're not getting on the HoF!"

It's more "finish before me and someone else can run the thread next year" :D 

I'm saying all this, and without wanting to jinx it, I might be on the verge of a very special season currently....

1 minute ago, darren1983 said:

It's more "finish before me and someone else can run the thread next year" :D 

I'm saying all this, and without wanting to jinx it, I might be on the verge of a very special season currently....

I feel you. When you run a thread there's a definite set of mixed feelings when your challenge is getting lots of posts from people getting through the same challenge you're doing at ten times the speed.

And this challenge for me is slow going, but at the same time it can all end very quickly. Hope the latter is about to happen to you. Regardless of when you and all the newcomers complete in England, it's a safe bet I'll be behind all of you.

11 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

And this challenge for me is slow going, but at the same time it can all end very quickly.

It really is. One intake can change so many things fast. So it's a bit like a stair with long steps. You stay there for a while, but suddenly you get an intake and take a step or two fast before it's back to going slowly again.

10 minutes ago, XaW said:

It really is. One intake can change so many things fast. So it's a bit like a stair with long steps. You stay there for a while, but suddenly you get an intake and take a step or two fast before it's back to going slowly again.

When i did what was then the South American small to big club challenge, i toiled getting seemingly nowhere for ages, and then in the space of about 3 seasons was promoted to the top league and won the league and Libertadores straight away. I was a bit disappointed actually. That last season was a bit like the last season of Game of Thrones where everything finishes in a rather quick and  unsatisfactory manner. Or is that my sex life?.

Edited by vikeologist

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

I feel you. When you run a thread there's a definite set of mixed feelings when your challenge is getting lots of posts from people getting through the same challenge you're doing at ten times the speed.

And this challenge for me is slow going, but at the same time it can all end very quickly. Hope the latter is about to happen to you. Regardless of when you and all the newcomers complete in England, it's a safe bet I'll be behind all of you.

I think it's just the fact I've never completed this despite trying it for years. This current save feels the most likely and this current season might be my best ever on this challenge but am now worried I'm going to do a Leverkusen and mess it all up now :D 

4 hours ago, hyrule_king said:

Nice work so far @XaW

Don't get my hopes up with all that yellow lettering :stop:

500847509_AtlticoCP_YouthCandidates-3.thumb.png.a1b85a166860071d5050f22683fdf830.png

Hoping they are good with this fairly good HOYD

1992448053_SrgioLeite_Profile.thumb.png.0e7328991368b6914dab8b9e6e23edc3.png

Intake Update, Best Player :seagull:

1899794727_LassanaDjal_Profile.thumb.png.57bfe87803ae15bfbb5c8c0507167b90.png

On another note this Youth is improving nicely.

2099084052_AgostinhoBanjaqui_Profile.thu

d3158662e7beeda1a63cac46b08fe9a0.png

Edited by hyrule_king

Dorchester_Town.png

Dorchester Town - Season 32/33

Transfers - League Table

Been a while since my last update. I didn't have time to focus on FM2021, had some other things going on.

The prediction was 7th, we were 3rd. It was a great season. Before the season I had sold all the whining players and luckily we didn't have any big injuries. We did the best we could at the league and won both cups. Challenge wise cups don't matter of course and we didn't win the league, didn't play in Europe either. But we were so consistent throughout the season that it was a joy to watch the team play. In the league we conceaded only 23 goals. I micromanaged most games: we played mainly a "balanced 433 DM Wide" and sometimes a "cautious counter-attacking 433 DM Wide". We even managed to place higher than Everton, who for some reason are very good in this save.

We won Chelsea in Carabao Cup final and Liverpool in FA Cup final.

Intake preview / Actual intake had two very good players: Aaron Potter and Paul Powell. Powell is one of the best young players I have received so far. I released the rest.

Next season we have our second chance in the Champions League, hoping to make it through the group stage this time.

Season  Div      Pos     Most l.goals            Most l.assists            TF          YF           JC          YR          Av.Att    Finances        
21/22     VNLS   1st       Emile Ngoy (45)       Daniel Delve (21)       Avg        Basic      Adeq+   Adeq+   468         123K

22/23     VNL     1st       Emile Ngoy (45)       Daniel Delve (19)       Avg        Basic      Adeq     Adeq      663         20K

23/24     L2        1st       Emile Ngoy (22)       Jon Scorey (11)           Avg        B.Avg+   Good+  Avg+       1194       342K

24/25     L1        4th      Max Geddes (20)     Charles Amuzu (11)   Good+  Adeq+    Excel+   Excel+    2344       7M        

25/26     L1        1st       Max Geddes (21)     Jamie Wotton (15)     Excel++ Good++ Excep+  Excep+  2676       5,4M

26/27     CH       5th      Max Geddes (27)     Toby Snodin (15)       SotA++  Excel++  Excep    Excep    4998       13M

27/28     CH       3rd      Max Geddes (38)     T. Kwiecien (13)         SotA      SotA++   Excep    Excep    4998        57M

28/29     PL        5th      Max Geddes (27)     Will Penfold (7)          SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    17427      140M

29/30     PL        10th    Max Geddes (20)     Will Penfold (9)          SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    16216      220M

30/31     PL        7th      Max Geddes (16)     P. Rodriguez (8)         SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    14536      300M

31/32     PL        8th      Max Geddes (26)     T. Kwiecien (8)           SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    18114      410M

32/33     PL        3rd      Max Geddes (24)     Owen Winsor (7)       SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    20276      690M

33/34     PL        ???

34 minutes ago, Proffa said:

Dorchester_Town.png

Dorchester Town - Season 32/33

Transfers - League Table

Been a while since my last update. I didn't have time to focus on FM2021, had some other things going on.

The prediction was 7th, we were 3rd. It was a great season. Before the season I had sold all the whining players and luckily we didn't have any big injuries. We did the best we could at the league and won both cups. Challenge wise cups don't matter of course and we didn't win the league, didn't play in Europe either. But we were so consistent throughout the season that it was a joy to watch the team play. In the league we conceaded only 23 goals. I micromanaged most games: we played mainly a "balanced 433 DM Wide" and sometimes a "cautious counter-attacking 433 DM Wide". We even managed to place higher than Everton, who for some reason are very good in this save.

We won Chelsea in Carabao Cup final and Liverpool in FA Cup final.

Intake preview / Actual intake had two very good players: Aaron Potter and Paul Powell. Powell is one of the best young players I have received so far. I released the rest.

Next season we have our second chance in the Champions League, hoping to make it through the group stage this time.

Season  Div      Pos     Most l.goals            Most l.assists            TF          YF           JC          YR          Av.Att    Finances        
21/22     VNLS   1st       Emile Ngoy (45)       Daniel Delve (21)       Avg        Basic      Adeq+   Adeq+   468         123K

22/23     VNL     1st       Emile Ngoy (45)       Daniel Delve (19)       Avg        Basic      Adeq     Adeq      663         20K

23/24     L2        1st       Emile Ngoy (22)       Jon Scorey (11)           Avg        B.Avg+   Good+  Avg+       1194       342K

24/25     L1        4th      Max Geddes (20)     Charles Amuzu (11)   Good+  Adeq+    Excel+   Excel+    2344       7M        

25/26     L1        1st       Max Geddes (21)     Jamie Wotton (15)     Excel++ Good++ Excep+  Excep+  2676       5,4M

26/27     CH       5th      Max Geddes (27)     Toby Snodin (15)       SotA++  Excel++  Excep    Excep    4998       13M

27/28     CH       3rd      Max Geddes (38)     T. Kwiecien (13)         SotA      SotA++   Excep    Excep    4998        57M

28/29     PL        5th      Max Geddes (27)     Will Penfold (7)          SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    17427      140M

29/30     PL        10th    Max Geddes (20)     Will Penfold (9)          SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    16216      220M

30/31     PL        7th      Max Geddes (16)     P. Rodriguez (8)         SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    14536      300M

31/32     PL        8th      Max Geddes (26)     T. Kwiecien (8)           SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    18114      410M

32/33     PL        3rd      Max Geddes (24)     Owen Winsor (7)       SotA      SotA       Excep    Excep    20276      690M

33/34     PL        ???

How did you manage back to back to back promotions early on with the original players? 

Season 2 Review

74f250b1.png

A very inconsistent season with glimpses of brilliance from the main team. The first set of youth Intake haven't really pushed into the first team as of yet but that was as I expected. 

3b228d62fde8fd7d4bab19dd6ca7d97f.png

b38c29ced7bf74ae20da84dd223900c7.png

0763925d1fa0dd4eda2c3351fcfbe325.png

Season League Position Cup Europe Top Scorer Top Assists Best Average Rating Training Facilities Junior Coaching Youth Facilities Youth Recruitment Avg. Attendance Season Tickets Transfer Budget Wage Budget
21/22 CDEP 7th 2nd - Rodrigo Pinto - 11 Tomas Martins - 5 Janu Silva - 7.06 Basic Fairly Basic Basic Basic 611 315 £1,090,000.00 £24,468.00
22/23 CDEP 7th 2nd - Claudio Carvalho - 7 Claudio Carvalho - 6 Ivo Dias - 7.07 Basic Fairly Basic Basic Fairly Basic 957 328 £968,000.00 £24,420.00

e1cb2abd9dc1e4016dc751d3a7cda1f3.png

Youth Squad

9d351abdaa026cdddc844d4a52a2f862.png

7 hours ago, darren1983 said:

I think it's just the fact I've never completed this despite trying it for years. This current save feels the most likely and this current season might be my best ever on this challenge but am now worried I'm going to do a Leverkusen and mess it all up now :D 

First time I completed it last year and without Covid and lockdown there was no chance I would have done it!!  (As you know from the number of years it took!)

To be honest though, that is what this challenge is all about. It should take decades to turn a club around and just play youth players.

Yes understand it’s a computer game but in reality you are never going to take a non league side to PL and CL glory in 10/20/30 years playing just youth players

That is part of the fun for me and that is why you see me go sooooooo deep and invest the time into my saves (Covid, lockdown and working from home has been able me to do so).

a14c1571c403b3578ffbda902ab28161.png.2e47656b8403faa6defa678e8dbc66cb.png

Well thats new for me.

I promised him to sell him in the summer, but nobody wanted him. I even offered him out for 0.

So he is goes in the U19 with endurance training and double intensity.

33edf7c2e489db6b8ed429584b74808c.thumb.png.19584b406edeee4df02e9c09f11a5169.png

EDIT

cb512798f171b8e870e5a4b6eaf4b95a.png.3ecea433bae3ce402da5d26ae5f09b02.png

Puh...

I take that, better then nothing.

Edited by Cheez3y

20 hours ago, fish18ish said:

How did you manage back to back to back promotions early on with the original players? 

When I started with Dorchester, I think I had only one "original" player, Emile Ngoy who was a decent striker. He scored lots of goals as a lone striker (although 10-15 goals came from penalties each season).

Rest of the players were computer generated I think. I had two very good DCs (Robbie King, Geoff Askew) with high jumping (over 15) and also a good DMC (Lewis Moon) for my favorite tactic 433 dm wide. I even got messages “Needs better challenges“ for these three players. I had not received a message like that before In FM. I was able to keep the players for three seasons total before their contracts ran out and they didn't want to sign new ones. Luckily, by that time I had some youth players to cover them.

Having those three good defensive players was key to doing so well at the start. I would post screenshots but I think they have all retired already.

200px-Folkestone_Invicta_F.C._logo.png

Folkestone Invicta - Season 2024/25 (Season 4) Review - Vanarama National League South (6th tier)

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

Wow, what a season it was, but not in a good way. We have been unbelievably unlucky this season, especially defensively. The team is starting to look better, with more and more youngsters filling out the ranks, but that comes with a cost. Young players make more mistakes, and screws up more, and in general do dumb things that lead to goals against. But this season was exceptionally so. We finished in a respectably 12th place, but our expected position was 8th. And the reason we fell short is not the goals, we scored slightly more than our xG. However, xGa showed we should have conceded 59 goals, but we overshot it by a massive 26 goals! And it felt like it throughout the season. We conceded just about every shot against, and I can't even blame our goalkeeper. There were worldies scored against us just about every week, and I felt helpless to stop it. I really hope we can get things running again, now after the intake. We got in a striker, that I will show later, who scored an amazing 12 goals in the 8 matches after his appearance. Unfortunately, the wolves have already started to circle around him, and he won't even talk contracts, so I might lose him after only a few matches! If we can keep him, though, next season could be amazing.

In the FA Cup we beat Chichester, Met Police, Woking, and King's Lynn Town before we lost to Barnsley in the 2nd round. 

In the FA Trophy we beat Hendon before losing to Kingstonian in the 3rd round.

I also managed to finish the Continental C licence, but so far not been able to get any more. I also managed to get academy training increased from Adequate to Good, and youth recruitment from Adequate to Good as well. Still no luck improving the youth rating, but we continue to work on it.

Youth

E8lIQWi.png

From the preview I was excited for a Faroese youngster, but this intake is crazy good, and another player clearly stole the show!

izGmVDm.png

I almost wet myself when I saw how good Luca Bristow 25a was! He also scored 12 in 8 from he came through, but QPR are looking at him, and I only got him to sign a youth contract, so I might lose him before I even have him!

qERBpys.png

U18 team:

They didn't play in any league system.

In the FA Youth Cup they beat Halesowen Town, Tonbridge Angles, and Hampton & Richmond before losing to Swindon Town in the 1st round.

Statistics:

Spoiler

A nicely spread out intake and we added Faroe Island, St. Kitts & Nevis, and Northern Ireland to the list. And also that English guy who was born in Austria, makes them appear on the map, but not as a country on the list.

oPHDpCL.png

wyrvg8a.png

6R2QOEm.png

viE7MW4.png

Trophy cabinet:

None

NXauyPC.png

Look at the state of this!

20210730205558_1.jpg.089bc963d65ddf5be0f58a8c3b1fb76d.jpg

That is what I call a pile of sh*t. With four games remaining I lose four of my first XI for three of those fixtures, the second against my title rivals Apollon, which I duly lost 2-3.

20210730205809_1.jpg.5cfadfae08b1d4b7ab8ac45c562c1ecb.jpg

Just one result from the final two remaining games to reach the play-off against a Superleague 1 team, albeit with a very weak right flank. I sh*t you not, In a tactic that employs a WTM (Laurent 2023), to lose him, the supporting FB (Magakis) and the Anchorman (Laskaris) in one swoop has left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

Bring on the end-of-season.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Step one done there, @darren1983, congrats! Now for the easy part! :D

Only need a little luck in a game or 2 fluke a Champions League - here's hoping it's this season. A nice one and done :D 

2 hours ago, Cheez3y said:

In my opinion is winning the PL harded.

Overall I think England is one of the hardest ones.

I can attest to this - it's a real grind 

FC_Viktoria_1889_Berlin_Logo_svg.thumb.png.5afbb4584773fc70feb6f139ab013acc.png

FC Viktoria 1889 Berlin
End of season review 2021/2022

League Table | Competitions overview | Finances | Facilities | Transfers | Youth intake | Manager profile | Club overview

Wow. What a season this was! We are promoted to the 2. Bundesliga in our very first season!! Just like I did before with BFC Dynamo. From the start of the season we were one of the top flyers in the competition. We didn't play in the DFB-Pokal for some reason. So we only had to play competition matches.
With a 3rd place, behind champion Kaiserslautern and Bayern II (who can't get promoted), we are going up. Fantastic!

Our finances are terrible. With more then € 1M debt, things aren't looking great. But the money in 2. Bundesliga is good, so hopefully we can finish high enough for some nice money. Because of our financial situation, I couldn't upgrade any of our facilities.
I did bag my first coaching licence, National C. And I'm now studying for National B.
QK7rRpf.png
5dWiF7u.png

Man of the season is, without any doubt, Christopher Theisen. This man scored 27 goals in 3. Liga, which was almost a league record. He also had 15 assists. What a player! Also Falcão had a great season, with 22 goals and 13 assists.

Our youth team also did very well, and promoted to the German Youth Championship:
tCIgNmS.png

Youth intake
My HoYD Stefan Karow gave me this preview:
xwTQyKG.png

And this was the intake:
3TFTlJn.png
Not a great intake, but hey, it's the first intake. And we didn't upgrade anything this season. So I won't complain. Most promising players are:
5lClfr2.pngBY6SiF5.pngP4vWVdW.png9mBBBmB.png

r82bSzn.png

Justified!!! No need for Play-Offs, rival bottled it!20210730222859_1.jpg.6f59f1215c6370e289fccd071ff13534.jpg

It is going to take a real slog to stay up. I am, however optimistic, the WTM role is proving effective and I have two players coming through the ranks capable of playing the role.20210730223336_1.jpg.47e428d48831feca3a18c5582248574b.jpg

20210730223356_1.jpg.7a85cd7b82894442226103a41f5e841b.jpg

Laurent 2022 is my starter and is is a real destructor - weighing in with a combined 15 goals and assists in 21 games is a stellar return. In addition, he is the fulcrum of both the build up play and acts as an out ball when under pressure. One key point, he performs better when the central striker is also a decent Target Manesque player. Marku 2022 is a perfect of example of this - pacey enough to get in behind but also physically capable of contesting aerial duels. 

20210730223736_1.jpg.65dfd2954c1b9b047b46f85d8817ac56.jpg

As can be seen, in my tactical set-up almost conversley, it is more important for the WTM to have a good First Touch and the central striker to be possess aerial prowess.

20210730224000_1.jpg.9c905849d48d74a473ca254ac75c20fb.jpg

Superleague 1, prepare for the WTM!!

11 hours ago, XaW said:

I almost wet myself when I saw how good Luca Bristow 25a was!

oh wow, he looks amazing for that level! good luck holding on to him!

edit: d'oh, that'll teach me to reply before reading on! I hate youth conttracts, lost around 10 players to them so far. Nowhere near as good as Bristow though... :(

Edited by libbyshuss

Season 1 - Half Way Point Update

image.png.e1431714601cc10912c2312e87912c93.png

This is the most difficult youth challenge I have done insofar as the development side goes, as it turns out the Club doesn't have an U18/21/23 or Reserves, instead they have an affiliate status with FC Rapperswil-Jona U18/GC, who I can send players to willy-nilly as long as they are under 18.  The problem is, so can any other club in the Country, and a few of my players are being passed over for others from other clubs (saying that, we have also used this to our advantage as you will see with the "transfers out").  Will see what the youth intake brings and the end of the season, maybe the board will offer me my own youth team (some teams in Switzerland seem to have a mix of both)

The Cup

Was asked to get to the third round of the cup, and I did so.  Going out to St Gallan in front of a full house, 2850 spectators - 2000 of which were St Gallan fans :lol:

image.png.435f32993ee2c7a2b3966588f3f2cfb5.png

The League

This has really been a mixed bag, but I am at the half way point pretty happy where we are.  Positive is, one of the two defeats Lugano has come up against has been against us, where we beat them at home 1-0.  

image.png.5bf751e7efb324e847c60e6c55e5fa6f.png

Summer Transfer History

image.thumb.png.b2995e05b397334c471469ef2b71d73d.png

9 hours ago, Padders said:

Devastating!

I know!

2 hours ago, libbyshuss said:

oh wow, he looks amazing for that level! good luck holding on to him!

edit: d'oh, that'll teach me to reply before reading on! I hate youth conttracts, lost around 10 players to them so far. Nowhere near as good as Bristow though... :(

Yeah, I was so giddy I didn't manage to give him a real contract initially. So in retrospect I could have kept him, but I doubt for a long time. As soon he got offers, I knew he was lost, so I tried to offer him out for less now (£9k is nothing), but 50% sell on, but he went with one of the youth contract ones instead. Quite pissed at that really.

Vikeologist's 34th Folkestone Intake Report and 30th Intake Review 

See the source image

20210730195622_1.thumb.jpg.ce6ebdface2d0855f0c51bfc0ed1082e.jpg

Honestly not the intake I was hoping for, or needed. I need a mountain of a good central defender, or a central defender or someone who can actually head the ball, and all I got was another central midfielder, but it’s not terrible. I mean, my top guy, Kôji Sano 34a – A central midfielder from Japan, might actually turn out to be a star, even though he’s unlikely to feature in the first team soon.

There’s always next year, I guess.

The annoying thing is that a poached player I hadn’t seen the notification for has turned up at Sporting Lisbon, and he’s a central defender, though not particularly tall.

YP30 Review

Here’s (some of) what I said at the time.

It doesn’t look like a great intake, but still sort of useful.

Beyond Fletcher 30a, there doesn’t seem to be many promising players, but time will tell. Paul Humphreys 30b has a high opinion of himself based on his salary demands, so let’s see if he can back that up.

Paul Fletcher 30a – I’ve complained above, and probably in every intake and end of season report, about how I need a central defender, but Fletcher, although optimally a right back, was almost equally adept in the centre and at 185 cm he’s not a midget. He should have been the end of our problems, but four years on he still can’t command a starting place despite our 2 starters being at best mediocre. He has started 16 matches this season because he is right behind the starers who occasionally get injured or suspended. He  might still make it, but is still only rated 2.5 stars. He came in as unambitious with a determination of 4, and now he has a det of 14 but is light-hearted, and this might be the key to his lack of development, but again, it’s not a lost cause yet.

Paul Humphreys 30b is a striker who backed up his crazy salary demands by scoring for fun in the youth teams, but has never produced the goods when handed a few chances in the first team. Last season I sent him on loan to League 2 Oldham, and he scored only 12 goals in 43 starts, and has probably been overtaken by a younger and better 4th string striker. Still has more than 2 years left on his contract though, so I might send him on loan again next season and see if he does any better.

Harry Richards 30c – Has grabbed the starting right winger place this season, but a younger player seems to have more ability if less potential.

Season 3 Review

Yet again a very inconsistent season , however, I am seeing an improvement in the youth players which is all i really need to care about during this save. The player ratings/ goals and assists have improved as I have stuck with one tactic through thick and thin times. :brock:

958507932f79ad23e208076756023c1a.png

93f3c812d06b14a81c61d4c70d3131e7.png

Youth Squad, I will be bringing through the second lot of youth intakes in too the main squad this forthcoming season:ackter:

9c8d3fdccf576f93fc928a8713234f34.png

Star of the recent Intake::lock:

217594972_EstebanMarie3a_Profile.thumb.png.ed1f3546e1899a695b86f2bd2ed67087.png

Current Squad:

5695355eb1360ba9a2b76f657d50dc3f.png

Biggest Improvement from 1st Youth Intake have been the following players:

832286567_AntnioMoreira1d_Profile.thumb.png.19b13bce54941fef87a78d034ba36efc.png

1419002931_FernandoPinheiro1b_Profile-2.thumb.png.636215919334329c3ea096301314049a.png

1751240388_RuiLamas1a_Profile-2.thumb.png.1d6637c3d78c16bd91aed3845856272c.png

Edited by hyrule_king

Hitchin_Town_F.C..png.011b087cfd5422cf026b7d49934109bd.png

2034/35 - Season 14

National League

Season Summary

An up and down season that ended with another play-off defeat.

League - we started unbelievably well. 7 wins and 2 draws and a defeat from our opning ten fixtures put us top. And we were great right up until the start of October. We didn't win a game all month, rallied a bit in November and then went the whole of December without winning a game. So by the new year we were mid-table and off the pace. We picked up in the new year and put together some fairly good runs. In the end, 3 victories from our final 3 league games saw us sneak into the play-offs via the back door. And in contrast to last time, we were in form, high on morale and confidence, and looking forward to it.

35league.JPG.a0497cdae0a30447e0432a24006a2e8b.JPG

Well the first round play off game was away to Morecambe, who absolutely destroyed us. We could barely get a touch. We lost 3-1 and it was a relief when it ended. It could have been so much more. Our keeper was the best player with 10 key saves! Ah well, onto next season!

FA Cup - struggled past Chippenham and Chester only to lose to League two Bristol Rovers in the second round. 

Players

I stuck with the same team as last season in the main. Sadly, Mitchell Wilsmer 33A got injured in October, struggled when he returned and was then sold out from under me in the January transfer window to Championship side Sunderland. Weirdly, I wasn't too upset as his replacement, Oscar Owens 32H actually did really well. I didn't notice him in the 2032 intake, hence the H, but he'd done well in the U18s and suddenly had a four star PA. Slightly more comfortable on the wing than up front he still did really well and made Wilsmer's loss easier to take. Other than that, the older players disappointed and it might be time for another drastic overhaul of the first team. Especially in midfield, they suck!

35firstchoiceXI.JPG.5f5ec21e792692ed4d0f5ae059bd1c00.JPG

Craig McKenzie is a new intake player, more on him in a bit!

Youth

Another fantasic preview that got me a little excited, but still did'nt prepare me for what was delivered. I'm loving having facilities way too good for my level!

35youthpreview.JPG.e3b21eda5848c0b2f58c77737ac1eb60.JPG

And the intake gave me my best player yet! and even better, a striker!!!! Just what was needed after losing Wilsmer too.

35youthintake.JPG.e158bd2dac8e67a03f06f68f7f8e8443.JPG

But here's the thing. Looking at his attributes and traits he looks way more suited for a DLP, and he wouldnt take too much training to become natural there. I think I'll use him up front for now but I see his future as a centre middie i think, kinda like paul scholes. Well, if I can hold on to him past his 18th birthday that is.....

35mackenzie.JPG.f966c8f20894ac3244444f8fa5b5c600.JPG

Finances and Improvements

So the board sold Wilsmer for me. Not a bad deal I guess, but still a bit annoying when we didn't really need the money. It wasn't enough for them to allw me any improvements beyond my coaching badges either but what can you do?

35willsmersold.JPG.2dda28939fb49016a9a18ae3277b1ed3.JPG

Worst thing is you just have to sit and watch these guys waste away in the U23 squads for seasons upon end. I could have made use of you!!!

Career

35career.thumb.JPG.7f0ebd9469614f00485399733d798bf2.JPG

35firstchoiceXI.JPG

Edited by libbyshuss

200px-Folkestone_Invicta_F.C._logo.png

Folkestone Invicta - Season 2025/26 (Season 5) Review - Vanarama National League South (6th tier)

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

Before the season even started we had a big blow to our aspirations, as we lost out on the super talent that got picked off us by Birmingham. So that was quite annoying, but we made due. I continued with the same 4-4-2 still, as it had started to work wonders towards the end of last season. The good run continued into this season as we established ourselves among the top from an early stage. The big dog of the league, Dag & Red, are still professionals at this level, so just about everyone struggled to compete with them, but they didn't manage to leave the rest behind, only get a slight lead. It game them the win eventually, but a lot of us followed suit. Towards the end we had a bit of a bad run, and dropped down a few spots, but still finished in the playoff spots. In the 1st round we faced Bognor Regis Town, and unfortunately, we lost after extra time, so we get to stay here for another season.

In the FA Cup we beat Frome Town and Bowers & Pitsea before we lost to Havant & Waterlooville in the 4th qualifying round.

No new licences, but I managed to get both academy coaching and youth recruited two times, so both are now exceptional and maxed out. That should improve things in the coming seasons.

Youth

ml7cXzr.png

This was a really good intake with a lot of good players. If it continues like this, we will have amazing ones in all positions soon enough.

ylSp0wO.png

Donte Lee 26c is a very talented Bermudian right back, because why not? He looks very good going forward as well.

Puxg6dq.png

U18 team:

They didn't play in any league system.

In the FA Youth Cup they beat Stourbridge, Leatherhead, and Hemel Hempstead Town before losing to Dulwich Hamlet in the 1st round.

Statistics:

Spoiler

An extremely diverse intake, so we added a lot of countries this time. Germany, Cameroon, Bermuda, South Africa, Ghana, Guadeloupe, Belgium, DR Congo, Portugal, Angola, and Iceland all added!

kPoWFCx.png

82WEXw8.png

oQqhITZ.png

1OxXfB3.png

Trophy cabinet:

None

59UhH1g.png