Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Barnzy said:

It’s time for her to stand down though, must be tough still having these expectations of her at her age even if she is picking and choosing 

She won't it would be too damaging for the monarchy and not good for Charles because there would be a push to try and pass it on to William from some newspapers even though thats not how it works.  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/06/2022 at 21:37, G-Man11 said:

Funnily enough the UK doesn't have the power to change other countries head of states.

Not quite true. Australia as a country only exists within the confines of the English law that permitted the constitution be created.

Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 (UK) lays out the laws that states and the commonwealth are allowed to have jurisdiction on. Theoretically speaking the UK could veto any element of our constitution through an amendment to that law.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, leftback in the changing room said:

We might need a slightly more respectful thread title when the news IS announced, given that the press will be firing junior reporters EVERYWHERE to find examples of 'lefty shame as football gamers disrespect the Queen'

Viva la Republic?

4 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

We might need a slightly more respectful thread title when the news IS announced, given that the press will be firing junior reporters EVERYWHERE to find examples of 'lefty shame as football gamers disrespect the Queen'

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Some of these leader statements are ridiculous.  I know you've just got to be seen to be saying something but "hoping for her recovery" ffs.  She's 96, she's not going to last forever.

Are you my wife?

She keeps chunnering the same.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Some of these leader statements are ridiculous.  I know you've just got to be seen to be saying something but "hoping for her recovery" ffs.  She's 96, she's not going to last forever.

If they say anything else you know the opposition party will be saying something like:

"Look! They want the Queen to die/They can't wait for the Queen to die" 

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Cant say much can you, perhaps 'tell us what the other side is like?'

4 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

No. But what else can they say? 

You can wish her well, say that your thoughts are with her, say that you hope she's comfortable, or say that you hope her family are supporting her etc.  Expecting her to "recover" is ridiculous at this point.

Edited by Rob1981

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

There comes a point where with the greatest respect, you want someone to go in relative comfort and at peace while they have their faculties etc. 

I don't think that's the same as wishing someone dead, but hoping for recovery when someone is on EOL gets a bit delusional. People in that position can be hanging on just existing, not living. And that's not especially pleasant.

3 minutes ago, brez22 said:

I might or might not have just googled the national holiday provisions in the event of her death, shameful of me.

It’s a few years old now but this is worth a read. Not just on bank holidays but all the protocols and the sheer about of detail and minutiae that is already pre-planned

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

31 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

In all seriousness, will "Liz Windsor RIP" suffice?

maybe speculative as she's normally up at Balmoral at this time but I wonder if she's gone there because she knows there isn't much time left? always said it's her favourite place

not interested in the royals too much but I don't mind the Queen, losing Phillip has probably accelerated this downfall for her

3 minutes ago, TM said:

maybe speculative as she's normally up at Balmoral at this time but I wonder if she's gone there because she knows there isn't much time left? always said it's her favourite place

not interested in the royals too much but I don't mind the Queen, losing Phillip has probably accelerated this downfall for her

Almost certainly. IIRC she had no plans to come back to London.

Just now, Mr_Whippy said:

Do we get a day off/bank holiday if/when she dies?

Naturally it’s not good, but it’s what most people care about. 

The funeral is considered a "day of national mourning". Not a bank holiday. Although not sure there's much difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge#:~:text=As agreed by the Queen,gather in London and Windsor.

• Administrators
Just now, Mr_Whippy said:

Do we get a day off/bank holiday if/when she dies?

For the funeral, there's a national day of mourning, but discretion will be with employers. If its on a weekend or existing bank holiday then no.

I'm surprised the plans only have one day of mourning. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

For the funeral, there's a national day of mourning, but discretion will be with employers. If its on a weekend or existing bank holiday then no.

I'm surprised the plans only have one day of mourning. 

It's 12 days of mourning but only the funeral being an official day.

I think it effectively means there's a sombre period where not much is done, then the funeral, then back to normal.