The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Holy moly @XaW your last 5 form versus second place :eek:

Looks like you got your purple patch at the perfect time to swoop in and claim the title.

Yeah, won the last 5 while a few of the other teams struggled. I was hoping to get into the playoffs, but guess they couldn't deal with the pressure! :D

I am expecting us to struggle this season though, so it might not be my last brush with the 2nd tier yet...

30652.png.852bb0ab24486e72699a46b16430a4e0.png

JS  Kasba Tadla - whoops!

Nice short and sweet update today!

20240729231001_1.thumb.jpg.9cb3603c1c9198bb1c046643528122f8.jpg

Looks like this was a bust :D  We were bottom of the table with 6 points and 7 points off safety. 

I think I will try somewhere other than Morocco!

Club_Deportivo_Ferroviario_Almirante_Art

Club Deportivo Arturo Fernández Vial 

Season 2025 - Campeonato Juegaenlinea.com (Chile Second Division)

Youth Candidates

Finances

Transfers

Squad

Copa Chile MTS

Board Requests

Manager Profile

The only newgen over 1.000 minutes is Ignacio Valenzuela 24h. Also, as only 1 team get relegated, thinking about a more offensive tactic approach next season.

Campeonato-Juegaenlinea.com_-Profilee2f0

Edited by Johann

On 28/07/2024 at 20:34, djsterry said:

just had this guy come through and he looks ridiculously good to me 

image.thumb.png.7789a7162479c75939f5aead5f421f6f.png

wow. Can I see your HOYD? Any tips as I've been a top half premier league team for like five years but the quality of intakes isn't of the level to break into top 4 contention.

2 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Excel Graphs:

The clearing out of the team is very obvious when you see the big drop-offs in the player counts. It will be a few seasons till these are meaningful again. Also the excel file could use some work, so they'll look better in a few seasons.

Love all the charts and graphs WhiteCat!!!  I am a big numbers guy and track everything. It is fun trying to think of different ways to represent the teams and you are doing a great job.

12 hours ago, mpm2342 said:

I decided to jump into the youth academy challenge after watching the thread as I took the Gibraltar Lions to the Champions League Trophy. You can check that out here:

I will bring some of the same charts and spreadsheets to this save, but will adapt to a youth view and will post on a season by season basis.  I am looking forward to learning more about player development on this journey. I have selected Northern Ireland as it seems to be an interesting challenge. I rolled the season forward a few times and the only two teams to come up were Belfast Celtic and Crewe United. Just to make things even more interesting, I have chosen to go with Crewe United:

Screenshot2024-07-30134224.png.0431bffa36bb457fc9469d9f70fac3f3.png

Crewe United play at Crewe Park right in the middle of nowhere :)

Screenshot2024-07-30132304.png.56977c659b002b6293bc30c3e9ed89a7.pngScreenshot2024-07-30132325.png.b130c131a7744131e58e0b6bb871954a.png

Part of the fun of doing saves is to learn about the team, it's history and gain some attachment. The club website has a nice bit of history about the grounds: https://creweunited.com/developing-crewe-park/

As you can see below, Crewe has average academy coaching and very poor everything else. That sort of lines up with the development history, but gives us a bit of help for the youth players.

Screenshot2024-07-30132027.thumb.png.89ca7bffaa82757dd1125dc1b98c42f7.png

Introducing Finn Donahugh who has a suitable name to coach in Nortern Ireland and that's about it.

Screenshot2024-07-30125622.thumb.png.90e66caf3c2657674a150c6010602db6.png

The squad has plenty of players and a few younger ones with potential, They are all NIR players, except one from Tunisia :).

I am going to start out with a fairly simple tactic since the team by and large has no concept of technical football, so will be a work in progress for sure. The best lineup is as follows (using a rating system based on theFFM spreadsheet).  I will likely switch out some of the older guys for younger players if we can stay clear of relegation.

Screenshot2024-07-30143413.png.db53e718a1d3ed04b207474147f8d152.png

I created a table of the average ratings by position and squad for each division to use as a guide for progress. Based on the Lions save, winning the Champions League is possible once the squad was better than Championship target and close to a Premier league target.

Screenshot2024-07-30164344.png.d8cd5efa40dadb49d125796d380aa7cd.png

The table is based on taking the average of the top x ratings for the position across all teams in the division. in this case x equals 1/2 of the number of teams in the division, so for the Northern Ireland Intermediate division, x = 6, for the Premiere League, x = 10.  This is not scientific or anything, but gives a good idea of where the squad stands.  As you can see, Crewe United is fairly poor by the standards of the NI Intermediate League. Drilling in a bit and we can see the team is ok in attack and GK, but very weak in defence and midfield.  Hopefully, we can get a few in the youth intake.

Screenshot2024-07-30164400.png.17b9850d4f002b2a2183a40556d284ed.png

The club at the start:

Screenshot2024-07-30170932.png.ba70cc5c281fe9b2179fe3440bf37bab.png

I loved following your Gibralta save so I look forward to this one too!

So one of my bingo targets has been met but it’s by a new gen youth player who was part of the 2023-2024 intake that happened 2 month before I took over the club

Do we count that?

18 minutes ago, FootieLu said:

So one of my bingo targets has been met but it’s by a new gen youth player who was part of the 2023-2024 intake that happened 2 month before I took over the club

Do we count that?

The bingo card was just an idea of having some kind of intermediate measure of success rather than completed the challenge or was sacked, so there are no hard rules around it.

If it’s a regen I’d say it’s fine as some have renamed regents from the first season as Y0 and depending on the target met it’s possible you’ll get another player to meet that target in future seasons.

2 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

The bingo card was just an idea of having some kind of intermediate measure of success rather than completed the challenge or was sacked, so there are no hard rules around it.

If it’s a regen I’d say it’s fine as some have renamed regents from the first season as Y0 and depending on the target met it’s possible you’ll get another player to meet that target in future seasons.

Ooooh Bingo, that sounds like an awesome idea.  I will have to create one for Northern Ireland.

5 hours ago, naterr said:

I loved following your Gibralta save so I look forward to this one too!

Thank you !!!  That was a fun save where I learned a lot about building a team. It got less interesting when the homegrown rules changed though.

Year One of the Albion Rovers save has been completed.

https://imgur.com/j1jZ7qT 

The League Table

Wasn't a particularly successful season, but there were zero expectations

https://imgur.com/YYCoPde

Transfers

We made no transfers, obviously.

https://imgur.com/jPqpfWA

Squad

This was the squad for the first season, a few young talents with potential in there already.

https://imgur.com/Kxah7yU

https://imgur.com/BZ5Bk4c

The Youth Intake

We got quite a few players who could be in or around the squad in the coming years, maybe signs of future progress?

https://imgur.com/pjXexAY

https://imgur.com/3rfpzzZ

Year Zero talents

Jonathan Winters and Liam Cruickshank have been vital parts of this team, so it only feels right to share their attributes.

https://imgur.com/5B07tDO

Greg Watson, our only Year One talent to make their debut

I needed someone to be a better option as a ball winning midfielder

50 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Thanks for indulging my nerding out on data!

That was awesome WhiteCat!!!  Thank you for sharing. Now I am never going to get the first season started as I build out a bunch of new data and charts :lol:

I will be doing something similar based of the role ratings I use along with progression to track, but will incorporate some of what you are doing - imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all.

Would love your insight/thoughts on the following: Based on the research from evidence based football manager (see youtube) and somewhat supported by my own experience, the personality of the HOYD is pretty much all that matters. I am seeing indicators that scouting knowledge affects source of youth which can help as well as tactical influences. I find early retraining works so well, that I don't really care about formation etc.

1 hour ago, mpm2342 said:

That was awesome WhiteCat!!!  Thank you for sharing. Now I am never going to get the first season started as I build out a bunch of new data and charts :lol:

I will be doing something similar based of the role ratings I use along with progression to track, but will incorporate some of what you are doing - imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all.

Would love your insight/thoughts on the following: Based on the research from evidence based football manager (see youtube) and somewhat supported by my own experience, the personality of the HOYD is pretty much all that matters. I am seeing indicators that scouting knowledge affects source of youth which can help as well as tactical influences. I find early retraining works so well, that I don't really care about formation etc.

Please copy away! I'm glad to share with a likeminded player. If you want to take a look directly, I put all files up on MediaFire this winter: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z6k77x3z9wj9z/WhiteCatStats. I'm using an updated version of the "Road-View CA Calculations" file for the YAC. The WhiteCatStats spreadsheet I developed when doing an attributeless moneyball-style save in the MLS is also in there.

For the HOYD my priority ranking is: 1) Personality + Media-Handling, 2) Preferred Staff Role, 3) Working with Youngsters, 4) Style of Play 5) Reputation, 6) Judging Ability & Potential, 7) Formation 8) Scouting Knowledge + Adaptability. I'll share my reasoning, which is all IMO and from my experience so please prove me wrong if yours (or others) contradicts me.

1) Duh Personality, but its more the HA levels not the specific personality per-se. People overlook the Media Handling, which can give you very big indicators of how professional a staff member is. In the spreadsheet go to the "Personality+MH" sheet to see all the ranges I pulled from online. If you have updated ranges please let me know as these are old and I don't have the editor. The two I always look for are Evasive and Reserved as they set your minimum Prof. to 15, which is the #1 thing you want from your HOYD. For Determination really 10 or better is all that matters, I will always choose Professionalism over determination. 

2) I put a lot of weight in the staff role, specifically if they are 100% a HOYD and not a Head Coach you've pulled in. In early games of small nations usually this gets sacrificed to hit good numbers in the other spots because your pool of staff available is low and they are unskilled. Endgame there shouldn't be a reason to not have a HOYD in the role that fulfills these requirements.

3) I think Working with Youngsters is more important than is given credit for. If I was to change HOYDs in my save this would be the reason why as I don't like how he only has a 15 WwY. Finding a 20 here I think makes a big difference especially for the first HOYD who will have trash in JCA/JPA. I haven't done analysis on this, just my experience playing.

4) The style of play (Fluid-Counter-Attack, Geggenpress etc) is very impactful as it sets the archetype of player the HOYD looks for. IMO you want to avoid the defensive ones even if the HOYD is stellar in every other point. 

5) Reputation maters somewhat both of your club and the HOYD, and as I move up as a club and look for a new man to find my youngsters I always look to upgrade this at least half a star.

6) Might seem strange I rate JCA/JPA so low, but honestly as long as its 13+ I'm content if I'm getting everything else I want. Bigger countries you can be more selective, but small nations this is the easiest thing to concede on to get what I consider the more important elements of a good HOYD. Better Personality always trumps better potential. We've all been there when you get what would be a perfect youngster but he's "Slack" and just is a glaring disapointment.

7) Formation effects the number of each position you're likely to get. It's nice if they match, but really isn't a big deal if they don't as you might just have to retrain more. Again, losing some efficiency thus lost potential to prioritize better personality/fit.

8) Scouting knowledge only matters if they know your country perfectly or not, as far as I know the nationality & foreign knowledge of your HOYD doesn't impact intake nationalities. If you bring in someone who knows nothing of your country with low adaptability expect at least 3 years before they start properly finding players in your country. Then you have to wait 3-4 years till you see those players in intakes. With high adaptability within a year the HOYD will fully learn your nation so you cut down that delay. A lot of smaller nations will almost exclusively generate their nationality unless hard-coded to do otherwise. Here is my save:

image.png.7df9e537fd2ed888823654c67eccace7.png

Barbados, as an ex-English colony, will generate a handful of dual-nationals each year. Its possible the USA players are impacted by my nationality in the game, but really I think its just a likelihood from the region. I have a ton of Jamaican and other Caribbean coaches both in the youth team and one of my old HOYDs was Jamaican, not a single one in 40+ years.

Hope that helps!

Edited by WhiteCat33

1 hour ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Please copy away! I'm glad to share with a likeminded player. If you want to take a look directly, I put all files up on MediaFire this winter: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z6k77x3z9wj9z/WhiteCatStats. I'm using an updated version of the "Road-View CA Calculations" file for the YAC. The WhiteCatStats spreadsheet I developed when doing an attributeless moneyball-style save in the MLS is also in there.

For the HOYD my priority ranking is: 1) Personality + Media-Handling, 2) Preferred Staff Role, 3) Working with Youngsters, 4) Style of Play 5) Reputation, 6) Judging Ability & Potential, 7) Formation 8) Scouting Knowledge + Adaptability. I'll share my reasoning, which is all IMO and from my experience so please prove me wrong if yours (or others) contradicts me.

1) Duh Personality, but its more the HA levels not the specific personality per-se. People overlook the Media Handling, which can give you very big indicators of how professional a staff member is. In the spreadsheet go to the "Personality+MH" sheet to see all the ranges I pulled from online. If you have updated ranges please let me know as these are old and I don't have the editor. The two I always look for are Evasive and Reserved as they set your minimum Prof. to 15, which is the #1 thing you want from your HOYD. For Determination really 10 or better is all that matters, I will always choose Professionalism over determination. 

2) I put a lot of weight in the staff role, specifically if they are 100% a HOYD and not a Head Coach you've pulled in. In early games of small nations usually this gets sacrificed to hit good numbers in the other spots because your pool of staff available is low and they are unskilled. Endgame there shouldn't be a reason to not have a HOYD in the role that fulfills these requirements.

3) I think Working with Youngsters is more important than is given credit for. If I was to change HOYDs in my save this would be the reason why as I don't like how he only has a 15 WwY. Finding a 20 here I think makes a big difference especially for the first HOYD who will have trash in JCA/JPA. I haven't done analysis on this, just my experience playing.

4) The style of play (Fluid-Counter-Attack, Geggenpress etc) is very impactful as it sets the archetype of player the HOYD looks for. IMO you want to avoid the defensive ones even if the HOYD is stellar in every other point. 

5) Reputation maters somewhat both of your club and the HOYD, and as I move up as a club and look for a new man to find my youngsters I always look to upgrade this at least half a star.

6) Might seem strange I rate JCA/JPA so low, but honestly as long as its 13+ I'm content if I'm getting everything else I want. Bigger countries you can be more selective, but small nations this is the easiest thing to concede on to get what I consider the more important elements of a good HOYD. Better Personality always trumps better potential. We've all been there when you get what would be a perfect youngster but he's "Slack" and just is a glaring disapointment.

7) Formation effects the number of each position you're likely to get. It's nice if they match, but really isn't a big deal if they don't as you might just have to retrain more. Again, losing some efficiency thus lost potential to prioritize better personality/fit.

8) Scouting knowledge only matters if they know your country perfectly or not, as far as I know the nationality & foreign knowledge of your HOYD doesn't impact intake nationalities. If you bring in someone who knows nothing of your country with low adaptability expect at least 3 years before they start properly finding players in your country. Then you have to wait 3-4 years till you see those players in intakes. With high adaptability within a year the HOYD will fully learn your nation so you cut down that delay. A lot of smaller nations will almost exclusively generate their nationality unless hard-coded to do otherwise. Here is my save:

image.png.7df9e537fd2ed888823654c67eccace7.png

Barbados, as an ex-English colony, will generate a handful of dual-nationals each year. Its possible the USA players are impacted by my nationality in the game, but really I think its just a likelihood from the region. I have a ton of Jamaican and other Caribbean coaches both in the youth team and one of my old HOYDs was Jamaican, not a single one in 40+ years.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will definitely be digging into your files and data. It's a good thing the wife and kids are away for a few days :)

10 minutes ago, mpm2342 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will definitely be digging into your files and data. It's a good thing the wife and kids are away for a few days :)

While the cat's away the mice come out and create football manager related spreadsheets :lol:

11 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Making a nice beeline for the champions league on your bingo card @XaW 

Indeed! :D

I do think quite a lot of the side boxes will be coming before I tick the bottom right one though!

Just now, FootieLu said:

spacer.png

Season 3 - 2026/27

Starting off the season to be predicted 9th out of 10, a few academy players got the move up to the senior team after a couple players retired. These players were,

RB - Calum Wills 26a, LB - Corey Barbour 25a, LB - Fraser McKechnie 26a, CB - Jamie Robertson 26a

CM - Conor Fogarty 26a, CM - Joe Scobbie 25a

AML - Joey van Dijk 25a, ST - Tommy Pittman 26a, AMR - Mohamed Mebraki 26a

The Standouts this season however were Calum Wills, Jamie Robertson, Ryan Craig and Tommy Pittman

Calum-Wills-Y26.png

Jamie-Robertson-Y26.png

Ryan-Craig-Y24.png

Tommy-Pittman-Y26.png

SEASON PREVIEW

Season-3-Prediction.png

YOUTH INTAKE

After constant pestering the chairman we managed to increase the junior coaching to excellent and the the youth recruitment to above average, which brought in a good crop of 'elite' talents and a few good. The stand outs are below 

Cammy-Erskine-27a.png

Marc-Mc-Minn-27a.png

Martin-Kane-27c.png

Cammy-Erskine-27a.png

Aidan-Paterson-27c.png

Season-3-Youth-Intake-1.png

Season-3-Youth-Intake-2.png

THE SEASON

After a long fought season we went into the final day of the league sitting 1st on joint points with Peterhead in 2nd and Stirling 3rd only 1 point behind. Fortunately for us we done the business getting a last round win, while Peterhead lost and Stirling clinched a draw leaving us to secure the first title breaking their 95 years run without a trophy. unfortunately we didn't have the same success in the cups, losing in the Scottish Cup in the Fifth Round, SPFL Trust Trophy in the Fourth and didn't make it passed the Group Stage in the Viaplay Cup

Season-3-Cinch-League-2-CHAMPIONS.png

Season-3-Facilities.png

Season-3-Finances.png

bingo.png

Okay so I got invited to join the reserve league and accepted this created a reserve team for me that i didn't have prior, i've hired a manager and coach but thats all the game is allowing me to do, when i go to fix the responsibilities of the reserve staff it still shows as if there is no such squad

does anyone know whats happened?

In 2032 Maccelsfield is still a mid team in the VNN. But in this years intake I found this gem. Yeah he cant jump but he can score as he had a brace in his debut against Maidenhead. I think I use him as my new advanced forward. I try to beaf up his strength a bit and give him as much gametime as possible. This one is my first three star talent in an intake. 

Goat.jpg

10 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

Just like @XaW with his bingo card I am making the same diagonal progress (with so few divisions and continental cups I had to get a little creative to have 100 targets for this!)

Yeah, I had to mix it up a bit to fill out the bingo card myself, so I guess that's what happens when the clear goals are down the diagonal line and the more obscure and random ones are out to the sides. :D

6 hours ago, FootieLu said:

Okay so I got invited to join the reserve league and accepted this created a reserve team for me that i didn't have prior, i've hired a manager and coach but thats all the game is allowing me to do, when i go to fix the responsibilities of the reserve staff it still shows as if there is no such squad

does anyone know whats happened?

Restart the game and refresh the skin when you restart, that should show it. I had it happen for me once too, and that fixed it for me.

Quick question for everyone: I got a model citizen U18 manager and a fairly professional HOYD, so I put the U18 manager in charge of the intakes, but the personalities keep being poor. Do you think putting the HOYD in charge of the intakes can improve the personalities because somehow he'd have a bigger influence on them than the U18 manager (even though his personality is not as good in general)?