Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

heard Rice on the radio say that England fans are expecting us to beat denmark 4 or 5-0 or something like that. Is this what Southgate is telling them in the camp? ignore the media and fan criticism they are expecting too much? there's a big difference to wanting england to thrash a good team and expecting them not to sit deep chasing shadows and playing poorly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rice also laughed off suggestions that they aren't physically capable of playing a pressing game.

However David Walsh wrote that management had analysed England's fitness levels and they weren't capable of the expected level of high intensity sprints and are having to adapt play accordingly. Harry Kane is apparently terrible at pressing, and always has been, and while good pressers can keep up the speed closing down defenders to put them under pressure Kane slows right down essentially giving them enough time to play the ball calmly.

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

We'd be happy with a 1-1 draw if the team actually looked good 

Doubt. People weren't happy when we went to Italy and beat them in qualifying and looked good

20 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Forgot about this, but this is totally happening :D 

I just checked and his discipline isn't actually that bad. Has had between 7 and 10 yellows in the past three PL seasons - so only one every four games roughly. So you'd hope that he can see tonight through and then cards reset (presumably) for the knock-outs.

Just now, RTHerringbone said:

I just checked and his discipline isn't actually that bad. Has had between 7 and 10 yellows in the past three PL seasons - so only one every four games roughly. So you'd hope that he can see tonight through and then cards reset (presumably) for the knock-outs.

I don't think the cards reset until the semis but calling @Rob1981

Just now, Haguey said:

Christ an Austria-England game would be torturous viewing :D

It would be Denmark again, England unable to get the ball upfield, Austria unable to do anything when they win it

I wouldn't be happy with a draw at all, but Slovenia's defensive record is good. When the impotent force meets the immovable object, we're probably looking at a dour 0-0.

They drew with Denmark, they've beaten Portugal in a Friendly this year. So whilst there's a big gap in the rankings, they're pretty solid.

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

It would be Denmark again, England unable to get the ball upfield, Austria unable to do anything when they win it

Seems to be a theme of this Euros that lots of teams look great until they get near the box, wonder if thats why we've had so many long range goals and own goals

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You definitely wouldn't :D

If the team where looking good finding their feet together playing well and we drew a group game 1-1 that won't affect where we finish, that would be fine and perfectly acceptable 

Drawing 1-1 whilst looking awful isn't 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

If the team where looking good finding their feet together playing well and we drew a group game 1-1 that won't affect where we finish, that would be fine and perfectly acceptable 

Drawing 1-1 whilst looking awful isn't 

Nah, it would be that we can't break teams down and we need to let the handbrake off, albeit with some people saying we still created chances

29 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

We'd be happy with a 1-1 draw if the team actually looked good 

Agree completely, especially as we've qualified and are sitting on 4 points already. The performance definitely needs to improve tonight. 

On current displays Austria would outplay us in a 1-1 draw that goes to penalties where we probably go through. Will see if there's any improvement tonight to make me feel a bit more optimistic.

55 minutes ago, arenaross said:

What kind of stat is this? :D  Germany, Spain and Croatia have played three games and loads of other teams have still only played two.

At least make it average chances per match if you expect an intelligent discussion.

I doubt Croatia are going to be celebrating their "Third most chances midway through the final round of group games" on the plane home.

MEME RATING: 0/10

• Administrators

1 hour ago, The_jagster said:

See, nothing to fear from Austria :brock:

Would be the worst game to watch of the tournament :D

Plus given our performances so far, I think they'd look better pressing than us, and it would just be all round torture viewing

2 hours ago, The_jagster said:

Rice also laughed off suggestions that they aren't physically capable of playing a pressing game.

However David Walsh wrote that management had analysed England's fitness levels and they weren't capable of the expected level of high intensity sprints and are having to adapt play accordingly. Harry Kane is apparently terrible at pressing, and always has been, and while good pressers can keep up the speed closing down defenders to put them under pressure Kane slows right down essentially giving them enough time to play the ball calmly.

Haaland is a terrible presser though and, while not optimal, City still manage a decent enough press with him in the team. I still feels more systematic than "Kane lazy/slow" to me

Edited by Bootador

18 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Haaland is a terrible presser though and, while not optimal, City still manage a decent enough press with him in the team. I still feels more systematic than "Kane lazy/slow" to me

Couldn't agree more with this. The whole talk about Kane triggering the press etc is baffling to me, and I'm surprised it's coming from people who seem to know what they are talking about. It absolutely does not need to be the 9 who triggers the press, and actually more often than not it isn't the 9 who triggers it. 

There have been 9's who have been exceptionally helpful with pressing games like Firmino, but they are the exception generally. The clear problem with England's lack of press was all about the gap in midfield between the front 4 who were sometimes trying to press and Rice & TAA coupled with the very deep back line. It was too easy to play through with only 4 players doing it half-heartedly with a 25 yard gap behind them. 

It couldn't have had less to do with Kane. Pressing is a team task, the DM's need to come up to cut off passing options and the back line step up 10-15 yards. None of this was happening.

Edit: The reason this wasn't happening was because they had clearly been instructed to stay further back. Nothing Gareth or anyone says in post game interviews would change my mind on that, none of these players are in teams who play in this manner regularly, they are all in teams who step up and press, so they wouldn't just decide among themselves to start doing that because they are in a tournament and the moment is getting to them. That is sheer BS. 

Edited by Craigus89

59 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Pressing starts high up the field and as we've seen with the graphs, once England have taken the lead the players for whatever reason then drop deeper 

Yea, if we’re higher up the pitch, Kane pressing can be about positioning.

Also, being deep, do we actually get the full benefit of Walker pace defensively? I feel his most poor defending is when he’s back deep in a shape and requires concentration :D

Is there an online game route predictor - i.e. you fill in the groups and the knockouts then get filled in? Trying to do this manually on the 442 poster is hurting my old head

5 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I wouldn’t have been in favour of Gallagher pre-tournament but this team has played with absolutely zero energy so it makes sense in that regard. 

Good job Gallagher has plenty of energy, he'll need it for when he inevitably gives the ball away for the umpteenth time tonight.

• Administrators

What’s the point of a 26 man squad if he’s going to use half the available outfield players? 
Losing faith. 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

What’s the point of a 26 man squad if he’s going to use half the available outfield players? 
Losing faith. 

I've never bought into that thought process where people think just going along to a tournament and not playing will benefit a player in some way, absolute waste of time for everybody concerned plus it puts us at a real disadvantage when other teams are constantly freshening it up. 

If Cole Palmer in particular doesn't get meaningful minutes this tournament I wouldn't blame him for staying at home with Ben White next time.

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Losing faith. 

I mean he's used 16 players in 2 games and of the 10 that haven't seen a minute 2 are keepers and 1 isn't fit (shaw) so there's only 7 players not got any time yet.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

I mean he's used 16 players in 2 games and of the 10 that haven't seen a minute 2 are keepers and 1 isn't fit (shaw) so there's only 7 players not got any time yet.

Feels a bit less than that to be honest. I’m surprised mostly at lack of Gordon/Palmer, Wharton/Mainoo, especially for this game. 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Feels a bit less than that to be honest. I’m surprised mostly at lack of Gordon/Palmer, Wharton/Mainoo, especially for this game. 

I'd have liked Wharton to have started tonight for sure. Gordon call I kinda get coz he does offer width and running in behind but my hatred for him means I'd never call for him to be in the side :D 

Palmer could only really come in for Saka or Jude and I don't think he offers more than either of them, I'd have him used by now as a sib for sure though. 

39 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I wouldn’t have been in favour of Gallagher pre-tournament but this team has played with absolutely zero energy so it makes sense in that regard. 

Time to see if it's a team thing or a coach thing.

I'd love to have seen Wharton. The team is screaming for a cdm who just gets it and moves it wisely 

Palmer would be nice at some point but the basics are needed. 

Will I ever like an England team

Grew into the game without really doing much in the slightest apart from a good Trippier cross. If we'd beaten Denmark I'd call it us just being happy with 0-0 but we really need to have a bit more urgency about us, we need to win. Gordon on for Gallagher, Foden to 10, Bellingham with Rice.