Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

10 hours ago, ceefax the cat said:

No foreign manager please. It should be all our own work

I agree with this if they've never managed/worked in the country before but I've no problem with someone like Klopp who massively improved the football in this country from having the job.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern with Potter, and I felt this back when he was super popular and everybody wanted him as England manager, is that he strikes me as a coach coach. Like a guy that works with players every day and molds them into his system/style. Not sure how he would do dropping in every now and then. Whereas Howe I think would translate to international football better. 

I was listening to a phone-in yesterday where people were wanting a "top class" manager in charge

one of the guys said "we already had "top class" managers in Capello and Eriksson who failed".  Can't disagree it has to be said, Southgate massively overachieved over so called better managers

2 minutes ago, TM said:

I was listening to a phone-in yesterday where people were wanting a "top class" manager in charge

one of the guys said "we already had "top class" managers in Capello and Eriksson who failed".  Can't disagree it has to be said, Southgate massively overachieved over so called better managers

Capello was a bad fit. Eriksson was really good!

Farewell Gareth :(

Yes, he probably wasn't quite good enough and this was probably one tournament too many but the memories I've had during his tenure will last forever.

Watkins last minute. Colombia penatlies. Beating Germany. These are all all-time football moments for me. So thanks Gareth. Time to move on though, time for a fresh start

Fair enough and not a surprise. Best manager we've had in my lifetime, by some way. Huge shame he couldn't get us over the line but has transformed how the country feels about the team in my opinion.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Capello was a bad fit. Eriksson was really good!

"failed" in reference to what Southgate did with England I think

Capello just wasn't the right fit as said

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I'm not convinced Eriksson was a top class manager (having seen him manage Man City), just a very high reputation one.

He was there 1 season and we won what 10 or 11 home games in a row and was sitting top of the league at one point :D then that crazy owner we had started interfering and the season nose dived 

Petrov, Elano, Ireland, Johnson, some of the best football we've ever seen 

Edited by Barry Cartman

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

He was there 1 season and we won what 10 or 11 home games in a row and was sitting top of the league at one point :D then that crazy owner we had started interfering and the season nose dived 

It was amazing football, but we couldn't win away... how much of it was down to the manager and how much of it was just vibes.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I don't want to bring up old arguments but Sven was quite an unlucky international manager. Had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players.

I'll repeat it again, for me 2004 England was easily the best England I've ever seen when it comes to both talent and style of play.
Injuries and refereeing robbery are the reason that team didn't win it all.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I don't want to bring up old arguments but Sven was quite an unlucky international manager. Had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players.

Plus he failed to sort out an egotistical squad. I think Eriksson would have won something with this squad who are much more likeable 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

It was amazing football, but we couldn't win away... how much of it was down to the manager and how much of it was just vibes.

We beat Utd at OT ffs, that was the biggest dream you could have as a kid :D 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

We beat Utd at OT ffs, that was the biggest dream you could have as a kid :D 

I'm not doubting that season with Sven was great fun, including the 8-1 :lol:

Just saying I'm not sure he was all that.

End of an era. I’m glad he didn’t drag it out and I’m also respectful for what Southgate did off the pitch with the England side. Whoever takes over will be building on a legacy Gareth created. 

Just now, Bootador said:

I'm not doubting that season with Sven was great fun, including the 8-1 :lol:

Just saying I'm not sure he was all that.

He absolutely was before the England job.

Also, who knows what would've happened with this generation if Big Sam was allowed to take over.

Would've surely won at least one with proper football.

15 minutes ago, TM said:

I don't think it's as simple as "top class" managers all being one similar group, identify what you need and ideally get the best guy who fits that.

Di Matteo once won a CL but I wouldn't be looking at similar managers for a club with CL title aspirations.

Gareth had 3 attempts where there was a squad realistically capable of winning, and we weren't embarrassed by the big sides we lost to, but we never had a deserved win against a top side either imo. Not that it's easy but I think it is possible to have a manager of this England do more than hang in there and hope for the best. But one penalty shootout goes the other way and we'd have won a trophy/got knocked out in R16 by Colombia

Edited by The_jagster

9 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Careful, you're ruining your narrative that City were complete ***** when the new owners took over

Edited by The_jagster

Quite a striking statistic from the FA: in the 25 tournaments between 1966 and him taking over we won 7 knockout games, in the 4 tournaments he was in charge of we won 9 (yes I know there were fewer knockout games in the past, but still)

Just now, titchuk said:

Quite a striking statistic from the FA: in the 25 tournaments between 1966 and him taking over we won 7 knockout games, in the 4 tournaments he was in charge of we won 9 (yes I know there were fewer knockout games in the past, but still)

Even ignoring the increase in knockout games, he's won 3 quarter finals and 2 semi finals which puts him up there with most international managers in history.

Was always going to happen. It was ultimately a really strange final tournament from him, we should have gone out in the 2nd round, which would have been a fairer reflection on how we performed overall. 

Hope he now gets a huge Spotify sponsorship and launches a leadership podcast.  He's probably the greatest leader the world has ever seen since Napolean, just a shame he didn't have much of a clue about the actual football side of things. 

31 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

The right decision. He's been comfortably the best England manager of the last 50 years and completely reframed how England players view and interact with the national team. There genuinely seems to be an enjoyment and pride in playing for England now that there didn't used to be back in the 00's. That progress and the results he achieved cannot be understated. Going into tournaments with the expectation we'll do well isn't something I expected to feel after growing up through the 90's and 00's. 

That said, the players England produce have outgrown Southgate and he's not the man to coach players like Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer etc. That's a testament to the success of England's player development over the last 10-15 years and I'm sure England's international success has played a part in that, but they need a different approach now. 

Whatever debt he felt he owed England after 1996 has been well and truly paid multiple times over though, he can be very proud of what he's done for his country.

I feel like I should make some kind of big closing speech, but I can't possibly improve on this :applause:

I am genuinely quite emotional.  But it is the right time.